Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cratloe woods been cut down?

• 17-05-2016 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any info on this. I know the residents of cratloe had a meeting with the company who is doing it. All I got is second hand word is that coilte sold it to a paper mill and felling is meant to start in a couple of weeks. It would be a crying shame to loose the wood. I know it's in Clare but so many limerick people use the place and the limerick tread is way more acttive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Coilte........ protecting our interests.................. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't surprise me if they sold the whole lot the ba*tards, but i haven't heard anything myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Limerick forum maybe more active but activity isn't the basis for where to post threads so I've moved it to Clare but have left a redirect in the Limerick forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's a working forest, it was always going to be cut down. It's like growing veg or fattening the pig, sheep, cattle for the slaughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

But didn't they cut down a rather large section of it 2-3 years ago, looked like a nuclear wasteland after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

davo2001 wrote: »
    But didn't they cut down a rather large section of it 2-3 years ago, looked like a nuclear wasteland after it.

I think so many fell down in the storm in that section a few years back that they had no choice but to cut it down. As far as I know it's the section around the lake that's going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Hopefully they'll thin it out rather than scalp it ruthlessly.

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    I think so many fell down in the storm in that section a few years back that they had no choice but to cut it down. As far as I know it's the section around the lake that's going.

That storm hit in Feb 2014, those tress were cut down before this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

Hopefully they'll thin it out rather than scalp it ruthlessly.

I've heard from people who walk there regularly that they're scalping it. A huge section of the early part of the woods (close to the Cratloe entrance) will be taken out completely. Woods due to close completely in the next few weeks for 4/6 weeks for work.

Waggaboo wrote: »
    I've heard from people who walk there regularly that they're scalping it. A huge section of the early part of the woods (close to the Cratloe entrance) will be taken out completely. Woods due to close completely in the next few weeks for 4/6 weeks for work.

That's a shame. Not only will it look awful but it will be closed for the best part of the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

testicles wrote: »

No, i'd prefer them to do it in the winter when hardly anyone goes their, which means they could close the woods with little impact, but that would make too much sense wouldn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,471 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So they spent a load of money building a kids forest playground and a walk used by loads of people only to turn it into a post industrial wasteland.

Lovely.

Ireland doesn't need more paper, we do need native woodlands

Akrasia wrote: »
    So they spent a load of money building a kids forest playground and a walk used by loads of people only to turn it into a post industrial wasteland.

Lovely.

Is the playground being removed/closed?

Every Coillte forest will have cycles of planting, maturing and felling.

The forest is already closed off at the end of the first hill by the shed. Barrier has been errected. The chirldrens play ground seems to be still open. Lots of disappointed people trying to go for a walk last night.

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    The forest is already closed off at the end of the first hill by the shed. Barrier has been errected. The chirldrens play ground seems to be still open. Lots of disappointed people trying to go for a walk last night.

Is the back gate closed? There are walks further up the hill too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

phog wrote:
    Is the back gate closed? There are walks further up the hill too.

Was there last night and nothing happening there. Assume you could walk until reaching the work site on the Cratloe side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Akrasia wrote: »
    There's bugger all native species growing in Cratloe. Might be nice to have it all cleared and replanted with oak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

endacl wrote: »
    There's bugger all native species growing in Cratloe. Might be nice to have it all cleared and replanted with oak...

Actually, Oak isn't the natural species in Ireland. Ash would be the dominant species if land was left to it's own devices for a few decades. Might help us win the All-Ireland a few times with good hurls ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Deagol wrote: »
    Actually, Oak isn't the natural species in Ireland. Ash would be the dominant species if land was left to it's own devices for a few decades. Might help us win the All-Ireland a few times with good hurls ;)

Broadleaf of some description anyway. It must be the pine hurleys have been letting ye down of late...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

endacl wrote: »
    Broadleaf of some description anyway. It must be the pine hurleys have been letting ye down of late...

Second most amount of Senior All-Ireland's won in he past 21 years, 4 Under 21s in 5 years and current league champions.

Our hurleys are fine, thanks :p

Advertisement