Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

im a named driver,outstanding claim on policy,can i get insurance somewhere else?

• 17-05-2016 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am currently a named driver on my partners policy.

There is currently an outstanding claim on the policy that neither party is accepting responsibility for nearly a year, the claim arose from an incident where my partner was driving.

Im looking to get insurance on a car for myself, am i able to get insurance else where in my own name?

The insurer informed my partner that they will not be able to get insured by anyone else while the claim is outstanding which is an issue in itself as the other party is leaving it open and wont resolve the claim but im wondering does that apply to me as i am named driver and the incident did not involved me.

Thanks for you help

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can't see why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

If you were only a named driver on someone else's policy and you weren't involved in the accident, there is nothing you have to declare to a potential insurer. You won't be able to add your partner on to the cover without declaring their circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Hey Thanks for the replies.

Would it effect me if i put down that i was a named driver to my new insurer and a claim was made against my partner on that policy, has anyone ever done this before?

Advertisement