Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate my job but can't find a new one.

Options
  • 17-05-2016 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone
    I am a long time reader of boards but a first time poster. Basically as the title say's I really do not like my job, I work in retail which is not the problem at all as I have always worked in retail and I usually quite enjoy it, The problem is that the company I work for treat their staff like crap and work us like dogs. Take last night for example for the first two hours of my four hour shift I was put on tills which o.k no one likes but everyone has to do, come six o'clock a manager comes to me and say's there is five pallet's of stock to go out a display to be remerchandised and two sections that you have to face off for tomorrow and it has to be done before you finish at eight. I could get the five pallets done in two hours I could even face off my sections and maybe have five minutes to spare to get the display sorted, I could do all this if the shop was closed and I didn't have a bell going off every two minutes for me to jump onto the till and relieve a large que. I don't mind hard work and I never have but this kind of stuff has been happening since the day I started and that would be all good and well because I was showing the managers that I am worth investing in and that if a promotion oppurtunity came along that I was the man for the job. But that will not happen anytime soon because since I started one year ago there has been three different managers and three different assistant managers. Every time I get somewhere I have to start again with someone new. Also last night I was brought a form to sign saying I clocked out fifteen minutes early from my four hour shift last Monday I remember Monday quite well I told my manager I would be clocking out two minutes early because I had to catch a bus that left at four, I live in abbeyleix and the bus from portlaoise is once every two to three hours and my little girl was in her grandmothers so I really needed to catch that exact bus. I left exactly two minutes early I worked ten minutes past my shift the two days after but there was no mention of this on the form which I brought up and was fobbed off. I know my grammar is appalling so I apologise if anyone is still reading. I have recently been sending c.vs out to other companies and I haven't got so much as a call back from anyone and it is realy getting me down, I am not going to quit the job that I have as much as I dislike it because I don't want to join the dole que I was there for long enough. I guess in between this rant I am really just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I might find a new job. Again I am sorry for my awful awful grammar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Have you applied for other jobs? Is your CV up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 notadoctor

Have you applied for other jobs? Is your CV up to date?

I have applied for a lot of other jobs, and my c.v is up to date. I don't really know where I am going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Trust me you're not the only one, I applied for jobs over a 3 month period with barely a peep and the usual agencies promising interviews etc, just keep trying, maybe look into call centre work too.

Trust me you're not the only one, I applied for jobs over a 3 month period with barely a peep and the usual agencies promising interviews etc, just keep trying, maybe look into call centre work too.
    I am looking into that sort of work at the moment, I thought it would be easier to get a job if I had one but obviously not. I hope you have better luck than I do.

notadoctor wrote: »
    I am looking into that sort of work at the moment, I thought it would be easier to get a job if I had one but obviously not. I hope you have better luck than I do.

Cheers I got sorted in the end luckily enough, can you drive? as Dublin wouldn't be too far from you.

• Advertisement

Cheers I got sorted in the end luckily enough, can you drive? as Dublin wouldn't be too far from you.

I can't drive, I have a learners permit but I can't really afford a car, insurance etc.... I suppose I might have a better advantage in Dublin considering that's where I grew up and had my other jobs but not driving would be a big disadvantage.

I know this is a long shot but could someone maybe look at my cv and give me some tips ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

If you look at a recent thread on the work and jobs page called CV help websites or something, a poster said they offered a professional CV help service.

If you look at a recent thread on the work and jobs page called CV help websites or something, a poster said they offered a professional CV help service.

Hi, thank you I got a call about an interview this morning :) hopefully I get this job.

Keep us updated, good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement