Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hertz Edinburgh - Terrible service

Options
  • 17-05-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hertz Edinburgh

I have just had the experience of renting with Hertz at the weekend and never again :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

On return of the car, the rep points out a small mark, no visible to the naked eye and advises that this will be allocated for damages - I checked the car beforehand but this soo called mark could have been beforehand as it was so difficult in the first place - the 2 people who were along with me couldn't see the mark as well after the rep pointed it out to us.

The small mark in question is a small dent - cost of repair is £300 - which is over charging amount

Now, like I said, I want to dispute the small dent and the cost of repair, along with the rental of car costs cause I am not fully sure if I was charge for rental and rental of car as separate.

A payment was made on my wife's credit card which I was carrying at the time - Is there anything that I can do to dispute the credit card payment going through or anything to the above

I have sent an email already, on return to Ireland but as this is Hertz, I am pretty confident that their customer service is crap.

Any guidance will be appreciated and thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

For the next time..

https://www.carhireexcess.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Thanks Homer, any advice on what I can do now, rather than next time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Id imagine there's not a lot you can do, you probably signed something saying the car was free of dents before you took it?

I got caught like that years ago, except they invented the damage and just charged my card £500. Ðropped the car back on a Sunday when they were closed, parked in a corner beside their own minibus, had the car cleaned before I dropped it back.
    Was in their T&Cs that any damages even between when I returned it and they inspected it would be my responsibility.
    Fought it and got nowhere. Asked for picture of the damage, body shop invoice etc. Nothing.

I wonder how many different customers pay for the same dent.

That's what I am thinking that many customers paid for the same dent

I am half thinking of going across to Edinburgh for a full day and take them on at their counter desk and ask for a full examination of all car histories and the full cost of repair to the so called dent cause £300 is a rip off and I know that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Hertz European HQ is in Swords, doorstep them there and see how you get on.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ariel Atom - any phone number for them that I can use perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thanks Ariel Atom - any phone number for them that I can use perhaps ?

http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/379264630472704

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

That's what I am thinking that many customers paid for the same dent

I am half thinking of going across to Edinburgh for a full day and take them on at their counter desk and ask for a full examination of all car histories and the full cost of repair to the so called dent cause £300 is a rip off and I know that

Ask for receipts for the repair work. Most likely they won't have them. Instruct bank to begin charge back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ask for receipts for the repair work. Most likely they won't have them. Instruct bank to begin charge back.

Probably have to wait for them to charge you first, if you look for receipts they might just go ahead and get the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

amcalester wrote: »
    Probably have to wait for them to charge you first, if you look for receipts they might just go ahead and get the work done.

Op said payment was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would suggest to ring them and discuss over the phone, rather than trying to make contact my email.

How big was the mark/dent in question, and where was it located? You say it was not visible to the naked eye.

Asking for receipts of the repair will not work. This is probably a standard charge imposed by Hertz that covers multiple factors, including the actual repair itself, staff time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hire car firms also do not get minor works done immediately - particularly at this time of year as the car will be required for other rentals. It will be repaired either in the off-season (if being retained) or before sale. I have rented a car towards the end of the summer with basically all four alloys and most body panels Xed out on body map on the contract due to marks.

You have signed a contract agreeing to the charges so the only thing in question is the damage *not* the repair.

I signed the contract disputing the charges - and have no problem fighting them for funds taken from my account

and I will seek refund on the overcharging of my credit card for such a small work

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I signed the contract disputing the charges - and have no problem fighting them for funds taken from my account

and I will seek refund on the overcharging of my credit card for such a small work

But its only your personal viewpoint that it's overcharging, you've shown no evidence to suggest otherwise.

This is why when you rent a car you take a tonne of photos both before and after

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And you won't get anywhere. The credit card firms will request proof that you signed the rental contract, which you did. You won't get the refund. Chargebacks are not guaranteed.

Rental firms charge for the repair costs as well as other associated losses.

Your only angle of recourse here is about whether the damage happened during your hire period or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

homer911 wrote: »

Don't mean to Hijack the thread, but just wanted to say Thanks for that. I rent car's on a weekly basis. I've been caught once in January (Funnily enough in Edinburgh too - but not Hertz). Since then I have ended up paying through Ryanair a few times to cover the excess when I think I'll be doing a good few miles. €50 to cover it for a whole year is great value.

Advertisement