Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag Weekend for Mature Group

Options
  • 17-05-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm organising a stag for a group mostly in their 30's, with a few older uncles etc. I'm basically looking for suggestions on where we might go. Not really interested in the usual spots like Westport, Galway, Kilkenny, Carrick On Shannon. Any small town would do the job so long as there's somewhere reasonably central for the group to stay and a few good pubs. A number of the group are based in Dublin so somewhere that isn't a 4-5 hour hungover Sunday drive would also be a help!

Thanks a million for any pointers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Do you plan on having activities as well or just a pub crawl?

Wouldn't rule out those traditional towns.

Apart from that though - Athlone? or Ballina, Sligo. Tullamore, Thurles - All have train stations so that gives an extra more comfortable option for the journey...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Floyd Pepper

Don't know much about Athlone but that's a possibility alright. Probably won't be having a specific activity but don't intend just drunkenly struggling from pub to pub. We'd love a couple of traditional type bars and a music session or something like that. Just a few pints and a laugh would do just about perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Don't know much about Athlone but that's a possibility alright. Probably won't be having a specific activity but don't intend just drunkenly struggling from pub to pub. We'd love a couple of traditional type bars and a music session or something like that. Just a few pints and a laugh would do just about perfect.

How about Lahinch? Great town with plenty of trad bars and there's a night club or two if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

How about just having it in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Carlingford will be perfect for what you're looking for, it's a small spot with only a few pubs that are more on the traditional side, couple of nice spots to eat in, central accommodation I believe is also available. And it attracts hens and stags each weekend so you'll be among people doing the same thing.

That last part might be a negative though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ever think about doing the boats on the Shannon.. Great craic, you can either party on the boat or get off at stops and go to the pub.

Or is it Kinnity Castle is suppose to be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sligo is a cracking town for a session with some deadly "old man" style pubs like Shoot the Crows or Hargadons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Floyd Pepper

I'd thought of the Shannon thing alright, maybe around Shannonbridge or Banagher. I'll have another look at Sligo though, I hadn't really considered there though. Actually surprised most places are booked out for September. even at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

I second Sligo. Great 'old man' pubs there, you can get the train there from Dublin, always lots happening in the summer there. Shells in Strandhill does a cracking breakfast. I believe Paul Rudd and some other Hollywood friends were in Sligo and Donegal on a stag last year.
    Hardagon's pub is great in the town.

If you're so inclined you could do a surf lesson, go to a Sligo Rovers match or climb Knocknaree to Queen Maeve's tomb with views for miles....I made 7 hungover lads do this on a Sunday morning and their reward was pints and football in the pub after! They loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ever think about doing the boats on the Shannon.. Great craic, you can either party on the boat or get off at stops and go to the pub.

Or is it Kinnity Castle is suppose to be great

Friends of ours did the Shannon boats and loved it. Sounded like great craic.. The upside is that you make your own entertainment, which is nearly better than just getting hammered in a pub crawl or strip bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'd definitely check out the Shannon, my Dad and Uncles have always had boats so I'm biased but you can't beat it for good craic. Garykennedy, Terryglass and banagher (hocks bar in particular) are a must!

Failing that my husband was just at a stag in Clonakilty and really enjoyed it. It is about 3 hrs away though however he said the pubs and craic were great.

Advertisement