Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Luggage Question

• 17-05-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Lads,

Wonder if I could pick your brains for a second. Brand new to biking and have just put a deposit down on GSX650F. I love the look and styling of it while at the same time its very forgiving for a beginner like me.

Thing is, I've gotten into biking for the sole purpose of commuting to and from work. This means I'll probably need to be carrying the full slacks shirt tie etc. and usual locks and the likes with me every day. This means I'll need someway to carry it.

I've ruled out a backpack and tank bag which leaves the options of a top box or a tail pack.

Although I know they're very practical I really don't want to put a topbox on the bike because I just think it'll ruin the aesthetics of the bike.

I've been considering a Kriega US30 as its waterproof and I think it wouldn't look too bad strapped to the pillion seat. Also it's a lot cheaper than forking out for a new top box and rack.

Has anyone here used a a tail pack like this for daily commuting? Am I mad to not consider a top box purely on the basis that I think it would look ugly on the bike? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Top box
    Pro
    Waterproof
    Secure mounting
    Better for bikes parked in public places
    No scratches from Hooks
    Can be removed as a suitcase if the correct base unit is used.
    Big ones will hold a helmet or two.

Cons
    Not as low profile as a Tailpack
    Wider
    Ugly?

Tailpack

Pro
    Low profile
    Look better on sports bikes
    Less drag than a topbox

Cons
    Possible risk of water leakage.
    Not secure to leave on bike during the day, easily cut or stolen.
    You have to carry it with you as well as Lid and Gloves.
    Hooks can scratch the paintwork.
    Can interfere with your seating position.
    386169.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That Kriega looks like an awfully expensive mess tbh.

Whilst a topbox isn't everyone's favorite piece of equipment over time, and esp in a cold wet winter they're a God send.

If you're going to go with something like soft luggage strapped to the pillion for commuting to & from work I'd go with something like the Aldi 70l bag (they've still got some available), they're completely waterproof and bungee strap to your bike.

I've recently traveled with mine, it fit a tonne of luggage into it and didn't budge.

386168.jpg

Tl:dr ~ Go with a Givi top box or a cheaper soft bag strapped to your bike would be my advice. (I use both if I've to pack a lot of gear).

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Thanks for the advice lads.

I guess I already knew that the top box was the better option (hence why you see so many around) so I'll just have to get used to the look of it.

Now I just have to see where I can source one without breaking the bank!

CJHaughey, is that your bike? Is that a modified top box on it?

Now I just have to see where I can source one without breaking the bank

Adverts.ie & Donedeal.ie are your best options, just make sure the lock is good and you've spare keys with it.

You'll also need a plate to mount it to your bike.

Something else to bear in mind, the bigger the box ~ the more drag you have off the back. I use a 36l Givi and have never run out of space on my commutes.

I use a 36l Givi and have never run out of space on my commutes.

Thanks again for the advice. I've been looking at Givi boxes and was wondering if you're using the monolock or monokey? Is it worth the extra to go for the monokey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Top boxes are poxy looking, but to be honest, if it's your only transport and you're commuting, I'd get one.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Top boxes are poxy looking, but to be honest, if it's your only transport and you're commuting, I'd get one.

Yep! I'm of the same view. The bike won't be my only form of transport, but after years of commuting by car I'm determined to make the switch to a bike for as much of the year as possible. If only to keep what ever bit of sanity I've left :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have a Givi box on my FZ1. Always had top boxes. I agree sh!t looking but serves the purpose well.

I have a 2nd smaller one & and plate I dont need if you're interested in it. Bought it and haven't used it.

Thanks again for the advice. I've been looking at Givi boxes and was wondering if you're using the monolock or monokey? Is it worth the extra to go for the monokey?

I'll be honest with you and tell you that I simply don't know!.

And I just sold a brand new one last night (along with the rack). It came with my present bike but I wanted to keep my old box with its stickers etc.

Btw you'll get used to the look of the box very quickly. I used to hate them, now I wouldn't have a bike without one.

GBX wrote: »
    I have a Givi box on my FZ1. Always had top boxes. I agree sh!t looking but serves the purpose well.

I have a 2nd smaller one & and plate I dont need if you're interested in it. Bought it and haven't used it.

What sort of box is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yep! I'm of the same view. The bike won't be my only form of transport, but after years of commuting by car I'm determined to make the switch to a bike for as much of the year as possible. If only to keep what ever bit of sanity I've left :)

I had a top box and panniers for years, if it's your main source of transport, it's well worth getting. I have nothing at the moment, but don't need to carry stuff. I did one tour (just 3 days) with a backpack, never ever again. Back was fúcked after it! I'd get a tail pack myself, purely because I'd only use it for touring the very odd time. Anything long term, just get a top box, after a couple of weeks you'll forget what the bike looked like without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

33 Litre Monokey

I'll be honest with you and tell you that I simply don't know!.

Ah not to worry...It'll just give me more of an excuse to trawl the net :)
    Btw you'll get used to the look of the box very quickly. I used to hate them, now I wouldn't have a bike without one.

Oh I know you're right and especially from a practical point of view they'll trump everything. Its just killing me inside to have to put on on my nice new (to me) shiny bike :o

Oh I know you're right and especially from a practical point of view they'll trump everything. Its just killing me inside to have to put on on my nice new (to me) shiny bike :o

Decorate it with stickers from places you've been to, bands you might like etc.

I'll try find some photos of my bike with the box. They're cool once you have a few stickers/decals on them, makes 'em more individual to you.

GBX wrote: »
    33 Litre Monokey

Thanks for the offer GBX. I'm going to do a little more research and looking around and will keep this in mind.

Decorate it with stickers from places you've been to, bands you might like etc.

I'll try find some photos of my bike with the box. They're cool once you have a few stickers/decals on them, makes 'em more individual to you.

Yeah not a bad idea. Now just need to get some advice on how to persuade the missus to let me go places on it :pac: :D

Monokey is a better system IMHO. Monolock is designed more for smaller boxes like scooters.
    Thats not my bike, I have a Dominator NX650 and a Deauville with built in luggage.
    I bought a Moto-Detail top box for mine which was very reasonable and can be used in pairs as a pannier.

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/moto-detail-hard-case-or-sidecase-44l/10025920?list=116187044&filter_article_number=10025920

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That Kriega looks like an awfully expensive mess tbh.

Whilst a topbox isn't everyone's favorite piece of equipment over time, and esp in a cold wet winter they're a God send.

If you're going to go with something like soft luggage strapped to the pillion for commuting to & from work I'd go with something like the Aldi 70l bag (they've still got some available), they're completely waterproof and bungee strap to your bike.

I've recently traveled with mine, it fit a tonne of luggage into it and didn't budge.

386168.jpg

Tl:dr ~ Go with a Givi top box or a cheaper soft bag strapped to your bike would be my advice. (I use both if I've to pack a lot of gear).

I've a US30 and it's not a mess and also completely waterproof, when I was buying it the shop owner said he used the same everyday and his bike was parked on a busy Dublin Street. There are a couple of straps which go under the seat that the bag clips to. Yes people can mess with them but they are easy enough to hide , IIRC someone posted a while ago a more robust and discreet straps for holding it on. The Aldi bag is way too big to bring a change of in.

Top box is alright for storing the lid, but if you've space in work a tail pack and lid isn't hard to carry in and out of the office. And in a lot of parking spots you don't really want the local scumbags seeing you stick stuff into a top box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Thing is, I've gotten into biking for the sole purpose of commuting to and from work. This means I'll probably need to be carrying the full slacks shirt tie etc. and usual locks and the likes with me every day. This means I'll need someway to carry it.

If you have a desk/locker in work, you could just bring all your stuff in on a backpack once a week, and leave it in work. Get two chains and leave one at home, and one in work. If it's an option, it's a nice way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I was the same as you, I didn't want to put a top box on the bike and ruin the look of the bike, now I can't live without one! I also have a us30 and it doesn't get much use.

In the meantime a decent backpack will do the job. I lived out of a backpack for a long time before getting a top box.

• Advertisement

I find backpacks a pain literally, and I always worry about if I came off what might catch with a backpack.
    If you ever have to carry a laptop a topbox is the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Kriega all the way.
    I have a US20 with 2 x US10 tailpacks on the R1 and Id hardly know it was even there,very easy to add on or take off packs too.:)

Getting a lot of differing opinions now! It's great to see :)

So to fill in a few of the gaps...I have a locker room and locker in work where I can store gear, shirts and the likes. I had thought that I could just bring in a weeks worth of shirts and the likes on a Monday in a backpack or something which would save me getting a top box. To be honest though, i don't really like the idea of wearing a backpack on the bike if I don't have to.

Also, we have a very secure car park here and talking to a few lads that have bikes they mostly don't bother with locks at work. So in theory I wouldn't really need to carry a chain either since the plan is really to be driving from home to work and back again.

That being said I had a good chat with one of the lads here who commutes on a bike every day and he pointed out a few things. Firstly..if bringing in shirts every day in a strap-on tail pack like the Kriega the likelihood is that they'll get pretty creased when tightening down the straps. I reckon he's right but was wondering if anyone had any experience of this?

Secondly he was pointing out that while primarily he only ever uses his bike to commute to and from work, there is the odd time when he may use it for something like dropping into the city centre during crazy traffic times like Christmas to pick something up. He said that while he might not do it very often, having a decent sized top box then is a god send as he can just lock up the helmet and gloves in the box and head off to do his bit of shopping without having to lug them around. Then when he gets back he has plenty of space in the box to put his stuff in and head back home.

To be honest, I hadn't really considered situations like this as I tend to avoid the city centre like the plague because of the traffic. But I guess on a bike that won't be as much of a problem.

While I like the idea of Kriega because it doesn't look as bad as a topbox, I think ultimately I would probably be better off with a full topbox. I was looking around last night and think something like the Alu-Rack from SW Motech might be an option. At the very least its a bit sleeker looking than other racks I've seen from the likes of Givi.

Does anyone know of any shops that carry a good selection of boxes who might let me sit a couple on the back of the bike to see what size of a one I could live with and get used to the look of?

Thanks again for all the advice and opinions, it's really helpful to hear other people's experiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Top boxes only look **** on the wrong bike tbh, they are not meant to be stuck on super sports bikes hence why they look so ****. I would get a kreiga 35 ltr back pack. If you want to get back box kappa are identical to givi but cheaper and apparently made in same factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

With a locker for storage in work it opens up your options a little bit.

You could look at picking up one of these type of folding suit bags and bring in a weeks worth of clothes on Monday morning, hang it all up and then leave the bag in work until Friday evening, only needing it twice a week (assuming Mon-Fri etc). It would bungee cord flat on the back of your bike without issue.

Tribeca-Garment-Bag_20090749358.jpg

I picked up something similar years ago in Heatons/Sports world, an Adidas one on sale for €20 that has come in handy a few times over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't think any shops carry a selection of top boxes, best option is to Google your bike and top box.

On locking the bike in work. The only way a car park can be secure is if your the only person with access and there's security on it 24/7, otherwise it's just luck that nothing gets stolen

For years my company never had much trouble with thefts from the car park. When the bike to work kicked in the amount of bicycle theft went crazy, a co worked had a very expensive bike taken, and now there are secure structures for bicycle storage. Still nothing for the more expensive and as easily stolen motorbikes to be secured to though. At least use a disc lock in work and even a crap chain will make them take the unlocked bike next to yours.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Top boxes only look **** on the wrong bike tbh, they are not meant to be stuck on super sports bikes hence why they look so ****. .

This is actually a very good point!.

OP are you stuck with that particular bike or could you go for something like an adventure/duel sport bike which carries heaps of luggage and are actually (in some cases) better looking with luggage.

I'd be thinking along the lines of the same engine size ~ A Vstrom, Transalp, BMW, Kawasaki Versys 650 etc?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

As a couple of the lads said,depends on the bike.
    Here's an old pic of mine with full luggage.
    Maybe I'm biased but to me it looks fine.
    56188D6A-8B1B-45F0-9767-E8CF14C01952-4344-000006762D0F0918_zps59b46c7b.jpg

Advertisement