Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League Final: Liverpool vs Sevilla; Wednesday 19:45; Setanta Ireland / TV3 /BT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If we don't get a "SEVILLA SWEEP LIVERPOOL ASIDE WITH BASEL BRUSH" headline tomorrow I'll be highly disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Liverpool need to spend at least 200 million before they can compete at the top level

Sevilla didn't
    Their starting team cost less than Firmino

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Hargreaves just said Liverpool have the better players and the better team.

Wtf!? Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

One of the worst sides to ever grace a European final. Bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Still Brendan's team. Especially after tonight's result.

This can't be a legitimate excuse... Can it??

Holy fúcking god almighty.

• bad2dabone wrote: »

Wtf!? Haha

He talks all sort of ****e to be honest, not suprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

All the refs fault :o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Unearthly wrote: »
    Klopp has now guided Liverpool to their joint worst season since Premier League era.

2 flop seasons in a row for him, needs to have a good summer

Settle down there, he got us to 2 finals and hasn't been focused on the league in a while. If ye can't see improvement before he's spent anything then there's not alot anyone can say to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

That_Guy wrote: »

Yes. I'm witnessing it in person :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What odds are Liverpool to win Champions League next season?

Think that might have knocked them out of the running as favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Unearthly wrote: »
    Klopp has now guided Liverpool to their joint worst season since Premier League era.

2 flop seasons in a row for him, needs to have a good summer

In fairness Klopp dragged Liverpool up the table and got them playing much better football, their Rodgers signings.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I won't quote the photo of the chap in tears, but even as a non-fan of Liverpool I would like to have seen them do it for fans like him. Great supporters. Can't understand some of the horse**** bile on this thread either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

bad2dabone wrote: »

Wtf!? Haha

He's been at that all night. If you listened to him in the first half you'd swear Liverpool were a hybrid of Barcelona/Brazil in the 70's and Sevilla were some lads that won a competition to have a kick about with pros rather than a side 1-0 who underperformed but were always capable of producing more. It was utterly disrespectful at times but he wasn't alone on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Game of two halves never rang truer. Sevilla deserved it.

Said it the season before last season, last season and I'm somewhat surprised I'm saying it again. Delighted for Emery. Absolutely delighted for him.

Disappointed for Klopp though. Sevilla restructured at half time but it was really strange how easily they were able to strangle Liverpool's midfield in that second half.

What was more bizarre than all that though was how that ref got picked for the final. Only decision he got right his linesman got terribly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Same odds as United.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Do you think not being in Europe next season will be worrying when trying to attract top players?
    Losing 2 cup finals would be worrying enough too.

Yes I agree not in Europe will be a worry I think we took our eye off the position we were in the PL a bit too much. Ya we lost 2 finals against 2 good teams but you could also say it was great we got to 2 finals. It is worrying we collapsed after the 1st goal and that is something Klopp needs to fix pronto. I am optimistic for next year something I could not have even thought to say at the end of last season or even last October

• colly10 wrote: »
    Settle down there, he got us to 2 finals and hasn't been focused on the league in a while. If ye can't see improvement before he's spent anything then there's not alot anyone can say to you

Getting to cup finals and actually winning them....might help

You can suger coat it all you like but an 8th place finish and trophy-less, not exactly a joyous conclusion to the season

They were favourites for it until about an hour ago:pac:

Bullcrap we were just not good enough. Should have made some of of chances in the first count. Ref only has 1 time to make decision. Blaming a ref is just denying what happened

The ref was very poor and i said it early on but we only have ourselves to blame for the performance in the second half. Couldn't pass the ball and it looked like the legs were gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

gebbel wrote: »
    I won't quote the photo of the chap in tears, but even as a non-fan of Liverpool I would like to have seen them do it for fans like him. Great supporters. Can't understand some of the horse**** bile on this thread either.

I'm sure Sevilla have equally passionate fans tbf.

They thoroughly deserved their win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

He's been at that all night. If you listened to him in the first half you'd swear Liverpool were a hybrid of Barcelona/Brazil in the 70's and Sevilla were some lads that won a competition to have a kick about with pros rather than a side 1-0 who underperformed but were always capable of producing more. It was utterly disrespectful at times but he wasn't alone on that front.

BT/Setanta don't have rights to La Liga and don't like to see teams from their Cash Cow League schooled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Around the same as United I'd guess ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Brilliant achievement by Sevilla. Astounding.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That_Guy wrote: »

Not supporting the excuse, we were simply **** second half onwards. Simples.

But I'm more confident with a clear out of these players who aren't good enough and new players brought in. Theirs a imbalance to the team and hoping Klopps judgement will solve that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    In fairness Klopp dragged Liverpool up the table and got them playing much better football, their Rodgers signings.

He took over with Liverpool in 10th, they finished 8th. I wouldn't call it a revolution.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

You can suger coat it all you like but TBF an 8th place finish and trophy-less, not exactly a joyous conclusion to the season

So if we won 2 more games would it be a great season, how about if we focused on the league only and finished 5th or 6th?
    All this before he's brought in his own players, im not one to support the manager till the death but really wondering what ye expected this season

NO ONE GIVE THE RESULT!

It's 1 all on TV3+1...

Correction: Sky do have La Liga rights, they usurped BT apparently...

Not like Murdoch/BSKYB...

Hargreaves was embarrassing tonight and usually is whenever he commentates on the English teams .

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Around the same as United I'd guess ;)

But United were never in it. Liverpool were for the last few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

colly10 wrote: »
    The ref was very poor and i said it early on but we only have ourselves to blame for the performance in the second half. Couldn't pass the ball and it looked like the legs were gone

Yes Ref was poor not going to disagree but he was not the reason (as so many trying to say here) we lost and can't be blamed we bottled it pure and simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

You can suger coat it all you like but an 8th place finish and trophy-less, not exactly a joyous conclusion to the season
    Delighted to see Sevilla win. Deserved to be fair. Shall be fun tomorrow in work :P

Do your colleagues in work have to listen to this shte from you a lot???
    I'd hate to work with you.

colly10 wrote: »
    So if we won 2 more games would it be a great season, how about if we focused on the league only and finished 5th or 6th?
    All this before he's brought in his own players, im not one to support the manager till the death but really wondering what ye expected this season

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

talk down Sevilla

I know that British media had to hype up the Liverpool team but I just could not fathom their dismissal of Sevilla. They'd won this trophy twice in a row! They'd beaten Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona this season. They're in the Copa del Rey final. You don't even need to watch them play to avoid making such a fool of yourself. Clearly, they'd never really seen them play but I just can't understand how in the name of Jesus they couldn't be that bit more respectful from say 1 minutes research? It was pathetic. Truly pathetic.

BT/Setanta don't have rights to La Liga and don't like to see teams from their Cash Cow League schooled.

Too true, I am expecting too much for anything even resembling unbiased coverage.

Again it must be said, the quality and depth in La Liga is stunning, it's streets ahead of its rivals.

Yes Ref was poor ...

He is a multi millionaire though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We should have had 3 penalties in the first half so even 2-0 at half time it's a different game and potentially 4-0 up. Along with the fact the ref should not have over ruled their offside for their goal as the linesmans flag meant our players stopped and were distracted.

Here is how I see it...

Liverpool better side in the first half, battered Seville in the last 15 minutes of that half and should have been another goal at least ahead.

Referee should have awarded 2 penos. Referees make mistakes, you hope they will not be the big decisions and in the big games. That was not the case tonight, unlucky for Liverpool.

Here is the kicker... Liverpool still went into half time with a one goal lead having dominated Seville and with 45 mins of football left to play. Advantage Liverpool.

As much as Seville deserve credit and they deserve it in spades, Liverpool did not show up for the second 45 minutes. 3-1 flattered Liverpool, Seville should have scored more.

That second 45 minutes has **** all to do with the referee and everything to do with Liverpool. The ref made a balls of 2 of the peno claims but that is no justification for Liverpool loosing that game of football. Sorry.

Also you play to the whistle not the flag... they teach you that when you are 3 years old FFS... you clearly havent a clue about football full stop.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I know that British media had to hype up the Liverpool team but I just could not fathom their dismissal of Sevilla. They'd won this trophy twice in a row! They'd beaten Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona this season. They're in the Copa del Rey final. You don't even need to watch them play to avoid making such a fool of yourself. Clearly, they'd never really seen them play but I just can't understand how in the name of Jesus they couldn't be that bit more respectful from say 1 minutes research? It was pathetic. Truly pathetic.

If I could thank a post a million times it would be this one. Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• colly10 wrote: »

Those 2 games you are talking about again are cup finals yes?
    Nearly never won a race ffs

And anyway who's saying he's not going to get another chance next season?

All that is being stated is that it's a really poor conclusion to the season for Liverpool and Klopp couldn't get his players to perform in the two most important games. He is the manager yes so surely he takes some responsibility?

One week its "Oh it's a great team" and the next its "Rodgers players"
    You can't have it both ways.
    I'm not sure what type of player you expect to attract to the club considering the position they are in now.

Too true, I am expecting too much for anything even resembling unbiased coverage.

Again it must be said, the quality and depth in La Liga is stunning, it's streets ahead of its rivals.

What Liverpool could do with a player like Banega in midfield.

Two levels above anyone Liverpool have there at the moment.

For those watching TV3+1, it's 28 minutes to crying fan...

• enzo roco wrote: »
    Do your colleagues in work have to listen to this shte from you a lot???
    I'd hate to work with you.

Yes they do, can't wait. Nobodys salty though so it's all in jest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Was indeed silly to dismiss Sevilla. But what about Villarreal? 4th in La Liga and got slaughtered at Anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Those 2 games you are talking about again are cup finals yes?
    Nearly never won a race ffs

And anyway who's saying he's not going to get another chance next season?

All that is being stated is that it's a really poor conclusion to the season for Liverpool and Klopp couldn't get his players to perform in the two most important games. He is the manager yes so surely he takes some responsibility?

One week its "Oh it's a great team" and the next its "Rodgers players"
    You can't have it both ways.
    I'm not sure what type of player you expect to attract to the club considering the position they are in now.

Klopp does have to take some criticism. Liverpool on top for the last 10 minutes of the first half. Go in for the half time team talk. Come out and collapse in 25 minutes with Sevilla looking like they could get 5 or 6.

Turtwig wrote: »

Ah...but you watch La Liga and know this.

For most soccer pundits in the UK it's the Premier League or nothing.

You can bet that when the draw is made next year and if Leicester are drawn with Sevilla, or any Spanish or Italian team, BT/Setanta will big up Leicester and downplay the opposition.

People complain about Dunphy et al, but they would not have arbitrarily dismissed Sevilla tonight before a ball had been kicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

But United were never in it. Liverpool were for the last few weeks :)

They were until about the 80th minute against West Ham. :pac:

What Liverpool could do with a player like Banega in midfield.

Two levels above anyone Liverpool have there at the moment.

He was fantastic second half, so too was Krychowiak who anchored that midfield quite beautifully. Mariano was key too, as were Coke, Vitolo and Gameiro. Magnificent all around. As I said, there's no real superstars here, this is about the collective.

By the way credit to Monchi, this is Sevilla's 6th European success since Monchi joined the club. The Messi of sporting directors indeed.

Augme wrote: »
    They were until about the 80th minute against West Ham. :pac:

Nah. We know not to blow our load to soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement