Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League Final: Liverpool vs Sevilla; Wednesday 19:45; Setanta Ireland / TV3 /BT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Was indeed silly to dismiss Sevilla. But what about Villarreal? 4th in La Liga and got slaughtered at Anfield.

They won the first leg and didn't travel well. I wouldn't say slaughtered but that's a club with too small a squad to challenge seriously on both fronts. Sevilla, like Liverpool, focused on this competition and it's paid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

By the way credit to Monchi, this is Sevilla's 6th European success since Monchi joined the club. The Messi of sporting directors indeed.

Iirc, they were Segunda (B?) when he joined. Look at them now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Spineless. Moreno needs to fuck off big time

He can take Coutinho with him too. Goes missing more than Madeline McCann in the games that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

In fairness to Liverpool they deserve credit for getting as far as they did. Clearly Man U and Dortmund are significantly better sides so to have made the final at all is a huge achievement for such an average mid table English club side. Well done Liverpool. Maybe someday you too can dream of doing a Leicester.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Iirc, they were Segunda (B?) when he joined. Look at them now!

They were. Liverpool had just won the UEFA Cup too that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Same odds as United.

2/1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

What Liverpool could do with a player like Banega in midfield.

Two levels above anyone Liverpool have there at the moment.

Its not a simple as Liverpool buying up the Sevilla team. Look at Moreno - Europa League winner with Sevilla, whipping boy with Liverpool. Sevilla have a good model of bringing on talented players and selling them for a profit to bigger sides. A good model Liverpool could learn from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's hard to see Liverpool escape the mid table crevice, really caught up in a cycle. Buying cheap relatively unknown players won't cut it in the PL for the most part. You need an incredible amount of luck to find a Mahrez or Kante as opposed to Moreno, Coutinho, Can, Milner who are below average more often than not. And on the other end paying way way over the odds 80-90 million for slightly above average players Firmino, Benteke, Lallana in the hope they become good.

The pulling power isn't there to attract quality players that Chelsea and United still have have who will surely be challenging for top 4 along with Arsenal, City, Spurs, Leicester.

I think Klopp's time will end badly, it's a massive job at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

They won the first leg and didn't travel well. I wouldn't say slaughtered but that's a club with too small a squad to challenge seriously on both fronts. Sevilla, like Liverpool, focused on this competition and it's paid off.

Humm ok. I would say slaughtered. Sevilla had bottle which Villarreal lacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I know that British media had to hype up the Liverpool team but I just could not fathom their dismissal of Sevilla. They'd won this trophy twice in a row! They'd beaten Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona this season. They're in the Copa del Rey final. You don't even need to watch them play to avoid making such a fool of yourself. Clearly, they'd never really seen them play but I just can't understand how in the name of Jesus they couldn't be that bit more respectful from say 1 minutes research? It was pathetic. Truly pathetic.

I'd say the fact they were somewhat right about Villareal in the 2nd leg last time out just fed into it tbh.

The Liverpool press juggernaut is still massive which is why they are lower odds in games than they should be. I mean they have some really good players but how many times this season have they looked comfortable just to throw it away. Mental fragility is rife with them. Belief is a bit reason why Leicester and Spurs were so far ahead of everyone this season because they had that belief and camaraderie. It wasn't the players being more talented, it was pure guts and hard work. When the going was good for Liverpool tonight it was great to watch and Sevilla couldn't cope but as soon as 1 thing went against them they collapsed.

It's unfortunate but them's the breaks and they're not the only team in the PL who needs to eradicate this from their game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is all over, no sense of a Dortmund comeback tonight.

Despite being robbed of penalties, this 2nd half performance has been dire.

They had a lead and have blown it and not played coherently since.

Moreno should never play for Liverpool again.

Ball to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He can take Coutinho with him too. Goes missing more than Madeline McCann in the games that matter.

Know you are down like the rest of us but f£%k man that was low and uncalled for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's hard to see Liverpool escape the mid table crevice, really caught up in a cycle. Buying cheap relatively unknown players won't cut it in the PL for the most part. You need an incredible amount of luck to find a Mahrez or Kante as opposed to Moreno, Coutinho, Can, Milner who are below average more often than not. And on the other end paying way way over the odds 80-90 million for slightly above average players Firmino, Benteke, Lallana in the hope they become good.

The pulling power isn't there to attract quality players that Chelsea and United still have have who will surely be challenging for top 4 along with Arsenal, City, Spurs, Leicester.

Yeah might as well just fold up the club I suppose. Ah well it was good while it lasted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

To Alcohol wrote: »
    In fairness to Liverpool they deserve credit for getting as far as they did. Clearly Man U and Dortmund are significantly better sides so to have made the final at all is a huge achievement for such an average mid table English club side. Well done Liverpool. Maybe someday you too can dream of doing a Leicester.

They made sh!t of United and Dortmund.

Not sure what to think. It's like the Liverpool team didn't turn up after the break and Sevilla were ruthless. Some comical defending though.

It's 8th and no silverware in Klopp's first season but I wouldn't sweat it. He will have a summer to build the team and no trips to the arse-end of Europe on a Thursday evening to distract them. Not joking, am putting 20 on them to win the league next year.

Humm ok. I would say slaughtered. Sevilla had bottle which Villarreal lacked.

To be fair to Villareal they just don't have the depth you'd need to challenge seriously on both fronts, and in a one off game like tonight, it's not too difficult to imagine that they could beat Liverpool. Ultimately though this is Sevilla's night and it's a night for Spanish football. There'll be a Spanish Champions league and Europa League winner for 2 years in a row which is ridiculous, even more ridiculous is that neither of those teams is Barcelona this season who won the league and might win the cup. Strength in depth.

Haha 3 years in a row....my bad.

To be fair to Villareal they just don't have the depth you'd need to challenge seriously on both fronts, and in a one off game like tonight, it's not too difficult to imagine that they could beat Liverpool. Ultimately though this is Sevilla's night and it's a night for Spanish football. There'll be a Spanish Champions league and Europa League winner for 2 years in a row which is ridiculous, even more ridiculous is that neither of those teams is Barcelona this season who won the league and might win the cup. Strength in depth.

Ok but you have to admit that your explanation is a bit convenient. Villarreals amazing tactical genius Marcelino was really fcuking stumped at Anfield. But that that doesn't suit your opinion so we will bring a new point about limited squad size etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Disappointed thought we could have played better, congrats to seville

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Liverpool are going to have more players at the Euros than Real Madrid or Barcelona.

International football really is poor, Ireland might be in with a reasonable shout. :)

Ok but you have to admit that your explanation is a bit convenient. Villarreals amazing tactical genius Marcelino was really fcuking stumped at Anfield. But that that doesn't suit your opinion so we will bring a new point about limited squad size etc.

It's a point you'll see trotted out again and again. You'll see numerous journalists and pundits say that mega rich clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool will benefit in terms of the league because they aren't in Europe. So of course a club with comparatively tiny resources will struggle to challenge on both fronts. These were 2 teams tonight who prioritised this competition and we got a definitive answer as to who the better team is.

• Advertisement

It's a pointless you'll see trotted out again and again. You'll see numerous journalists and pundits say that mega rich clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool will benefit in terms of the league because they aren't in Europe. So of course a club with comparatively tiny resources will struggle to challenge on both fronts. These were 2 teams tonight who prioritised this competition and we got a definitive answer as to who the better team is.

Yeah but that opinion relies on hindsight. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

I know your on the windup and hopefully I will be on Saturday, but I can't see Utd being much of a draw next season with lvg in the hot seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just back from the pub and even though all the seville fans made me sick jumping around the place(as i am Betis) I have to hand it to them. They are great club that seem to always bounce back from selling their best players because they have an incredible scouting network. I think their manner of running a club should be followed by other clubs in la liga with a limited budget. Anyways I also thought liverpool were incredibly poor and it surprised me how bad can, firminho and coitinho all were. Sturridges goal was out of this world btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I didn't follow during the match but I assume this match thread is well worth a flick through? Smells delicious anyway

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

xabi wrote: »
    I know your on the windup and hopefully I will be on Saturday, but I can't see Utd being much of a draw next season with lvg in the hot seat.

It'll be Mourinho

Yeah but that opinion relies on hindsight. That's all I'm saying.

To an extent though I guarantee in every preview you read for next seasons Premier League it will mention the advantage Chelsea and Liverpool have in not competing in Europe. I also wouldn't say that is the sole reason Villareal lost, afterall Anfield on a big European night is a very tough place to go and Liverpool are a good side but I do think it played a part, playing against a team with superior resources focused solely on a single competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unai Emery has done some unbelievable job at Seville. Its just amazing how his big players come and go each summer but yet his team is still competitive and still are beasts in Europe.

Just amazing accomplishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I didn't follow during the match but I assume this match thread is well worth a flick through? Smells delicious anyway

Neither did I. Just came in at the final whistle like a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

My summer is ruined.

Its very hard to be optimistic about next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

It'll be Mourinho

I think Utd should go for Bruce with giggs as backup, mourinho won't touch Utd, could end his career

mikeym wrote: »
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

My summer is ruined.

Its very hard to be optimistic about next season.

Don't worry we'll win the euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Those 2 games you are talking about again are cup finals yes?
    Nearly never won a race ffs

And anyway who's saying he's not going to get another chance next season?

All that is being stated is that it's a really poor conclusion to the season for Liverpool and Klopp couldn't get his players to perform in the two most important games. He is the manager yes so surely he takes some responsibility?

One week its "Oh it's a great team" and the next its "Rodgers players"
    You can't have it both ways.
    I'm not sure what type of player you expect to attract to the club considering the position they are in now.

Have never said it's a great team, have said he's getting performances out of them. 2 final's ye don't win equals zero ye, won't waste more time here, assume i'm talking to a united fan

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Did anyone else lol when they realised Coke's real name is Moreno? :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_(footballer)

To an extent though I guarantee in every preview you read for next seasons Premier League it will mention the advantage Chelsea and Liverpool have in not competing in Europe. I also wouldn't say that is the sole reason Villareal lost, afterall Anfield on a big European night is a very tough place to go and Liverpool are a good side but I do think it played a part, playing against a team with superior resources focused solely on a single competition.

I am not doubting that point. I am doubting the insistence that Marcelino was so amazing that it didn't matter. Because it wasn't a factor pre Anfield for some reason.

The reality is this - if thick head Moreno didn't get nutmegged then I am fairly sure Sevilla would have looked as average as Villarreal tonight.

I am not doubting that point. I am doubting the insistence that Marcelino was so amazing that it didn't matter. Because it wasn't a factor pre Anfield for some reason.

The reality is this - if thick head Moreno didn't get nutmegged then I am fairly sure Sevilla would have looked as average as Villarreal tonight.

That goal really did knock the stuffing out of liverpool but its hard to know in football with ifs and ands, liverpool looked extremely tired as well, maybe klopps training had something to do with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

To Alcohol wrote: »

Strange comment, why mention united in the same sentence as Leicester, why not spurs, arsenal or city? United will have their chance at the europa next season, we'll see how they get on

He's a fantastic coach with an excellent record that has a pretty small (comparatively speaking) club punching well above their weight domestically and in Europe where they defeated some very good sides. I'd have no problem defending Marcelino. Hindsight is useful certainly but it's not a factor in the English press because it wasn't an English side trying to compete for 4th while engaging in a tough European tie, they certainly talked about that enough when Man City played Real Madrid.

Ifs and buts, however that's football. Emery got it absolutely spot on second half, Liverpool didn't get close to the Sevilla goal and Sevilla could have had more than the 3 they got. It was a glorious turnaround that few saw coming and certain fans and pundits thought not possible.

He's a fantastic coach with an excellent record that has a pretty small (comparatively speaking) club punching well above their weight domestically and in Europe where they defeated some very good sides. I'd have no problem defending Marcelino. Hindsight is useful certainly but it's not a factor in the English press because it wasn't an English side trying to compete for 4th while engaging in a tough European tie, they certainly talked about that enough when Man City played Real Madrid.

Ifs and buts, however that's football. Emery got it absolutely spot on second half, Liverpool didn't get close to the Sevilla goal and Sevilla could have had more than the 3 they got. It was a glorious turnaround that few saw coming and certain fans and pundits thought not possible.

Fair enough. You say Emery made the difference, I say Moreno did. Each to their own. I do agree that the English media a clowns. But am not surprised that they promote their domestic teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If 2 Sevilla players have taken Fat Burners, Liverpool will get the trophy

Not over yet

Yeah there was a few last stitch tackles made by toure. Also what the **** was Toure doing storming forward and assuming a play maker role? Banega is world class and with going to Inter milan he might as well be flushing his career down the toilet as they are going no where.

Fair enough. You say Emery made the difference, I say Moreno did. Each to their own. I do agree that the English media a clowns. But am not surprised that they promote their domestic teams.

That's fair enough, and I'd agree with your last point. It makes sense that they promote their own teams afterall it is in their best interests to do so, I just didn't like the condescending nature toward Sevilla of the coverage tonight and I found some of them quite arrogant.

Anyway for anyway wanting to find out more about the hero of the hour, here's an excellent profile of the football-obsessed coach by Sid Lowe. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/sevilla-manager-europa-league-final-unai-emery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Gutted. Should have had a penalty or two but cannot defend like that and expect to win a normal match never mind a final.

You keep the opposition out for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. Weak ****ing tackles. Disgraceful attempt of a tackle.

No shape for most of the 2nd half. 3rd goal was a goal.

Too many stray passes. A lot of young lads though. Can was very poor. Firminho and Coutinho non existant for a lot of it.

It's a kick to the bollox but you just get on with it.
    Can have no real complaints after that 2nd half performance. Should have gone in 2 up but such is life.

Sign a few players . Give Kloop a full season and many more seasons after that. Will see where we end up.

Did I say I was gutted ?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Gutted. Should have had a penalty or two but cannot defend like that and expect to win a normal match never mind a final.

You keep the opposition out for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. Weak ****ing tackles. Disgraceful attempt of a tackle.

No shape for most of the 2nd half. 3rd goal was a goal.

Too many stray passes. A lot of young lads though. Can was very poor. Firminho and Coutinho non existant for a lot of it.

It's a kick to the bollox but you just get on with it.
    Can have no real complaints after that 2nd half performance. Should have gone in 2 up but such is life.

Sign a few players . Give Kloop a full season and many more seasons after that. Will see where we end up.

Did I say I was gutted ?

But how do you FEEL man, out with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

But how do you FEEL man, out with it!

I felt like I went downstairs on xmas morning to see the drum santa left me but the useless **** who was minding it let the grinch stroll in and ****e in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Memories of Dudek
    SlickRic wrote: »
    Not even close.

But it was...

Mignolet made a point blank save in a European final and it reminded myself of Dudek, so yeah.. I had memories of Dudek.

Yeah there was a few last stitch tackles made by toure. Also what the **** was Toure doing storming forward and assuming a play maker role? Banega is world class and with going to Inter milan he might as well be flushing his career down the toilet as they are going no where.

It's a shame but what can you do, undoubtedly they've offered him massive wages, they're getting him on a free but I guess that's just the life of Sevilla, they have to go and find another gem to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I know that British media had to hype up the Liverpool team but I just could not fathom their dismissal of Sevilla. They'd won this trophy twice in a row! They'd beaten Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona this season. They're in the Copa del Rey final. You don't even need to watch them play to avoid making such a fool of yourself. Clearly, they'd never really seen them play but I just can't understand how in the name of Jesus they couldn't be that bit more respectful from say 1 minutes research? It was pathetic. Truly pathetic.

This, how was they 12/5 to win the game with Liverpool 6/5. Only spotted it beforehand so had chump change on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Will there be any ramifications for the violence before the game I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But United were never in it. Liverpool were for the last few weeks :)

Were we? I only ever said we had a chance to qualify as an extra bonus if we won the final.

At the end of the day Seville deserve it more tonight and it's a great achiement winning 3 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Yeah might as well just fold up the club I suppose. Ah well it was good while it lasted.

Really? It's been mainly continuous heartache and depression for any fan under 30. You do briefly feel for them on another night like this. Briefly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Will there be any ramifications for the violence before the game I wonder?

UEFA are not going to punish themselves for not been smart enough when selling Liverpool fans the returns from Sevilla to make sure those tickets where not in the Sevilla end

Advertisement