Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish naval Recruitment 2016

• 17-05-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So the final dates for application are around now so I'm expecting to be contacted by the Navy soon regarding the interview, psychometric and fitness tests. I thought I'd start a thread for people in the same situation as me so that we could talk about it as I didn't see any other threads so far.

I guess my biggest concern is the interview. Are any people here that have been in the Navy or are still serving that could give any advice as to what kind of questions we could expect?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Tommf

I'm in the same position but the applications don't finish until the 22nd this Sunday, have you trained much for the run?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eanan89

Tommf wrote: »
    I'm in the same position but the applications don't finish until the 22nd this Sunday, have you trained much for the run?

No I haven't trained at but I'm confident in my fitness as I play astro 3 times a week and play gaelic and soccer so should be alright. Do you know how long they will take in contacting us after the deadline?

eanan89 wrote: »
    No I haven't trained at but I'm confident in my fitness as I play astro 3 times a week and play gaelic and soccer so should be alright. Do you know how long they will take in contacting us after the deadline?

Ah well you should be grand then, not sure about that but June some time in guessing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

What would you like to know?

Do you know how long after the deadline will they contact us?

• Advertisement

anything that you could help me to prepare for the interview. What questions to expect, best answers etc

thanks

Do you know how long after the deadline will they contact us?

That will vary greatly according to how many applications and staffing level. Everywhere is short so it really will be a waiting game. Just be chill.

My only advise to you would be gently and slowly start out with PT, the fitter you are the easier everything else is.

Instead of dreading PT you will look forward to getting out of the class room or off the square into shorts.

That will vary greatly according to how many applications and staffing level. Everywhere is short so it really will be a waiting game. Just be chill.

My only advise to you would be gently and slowly start out with PT, the fitter you are the easier everything else is.

Instead of dreading PT you will look forward to getting out of the class room or off the square into shorts.

In recruit training is it like 20 lads in one room with a load of bunk beds and what is the accommodation like on base for seamen?

anything that you could help me to prepare for the interview. What questions to expect, best answers etc

thanks

The best advice I can give is don't stress about the interview, just by been well turned out, well spoken and positive you will be just fine.

Think about times when you have shown leadership, participated in team or group events, helped out charity or organised loval events and maybe times when you have shown dedication to exams, sports or family.

Think about the good positive stuff you have achieved in your life so far and maybe practice how to put those things across.

A good knowledge of current affairs is alway handy read a newspaper for a change not the funny pages.

Remember your an adult who wants to join the military. The military is not easy. The Naval Service will place demands on you, your private life and family far greater and for far less money than you have every experienced before.

Don't join the Naval Service to make money, you won't.
    Join the Naval Service to make a career.
    Join the Naval Service to make a difference.

In recruit training is it like 20 lads in one room with a load of bunk beds and what is the accommodation like on base for seamen?

Yes in basic training all the males are in one 30 berth cabin which is broken up by the lockers and double bunk.

If you are living in on a ship you will be in a two or four berth cabin on most ships unless your on a Peacock which has 11 berth cabins.

On the Naval Base if you are living in you will be sharing a two berth cabin.

On the base you eat in the dining complex which is attcahed to the Galley.

The food on the base is outstanding at the mo, some great chefs on the base at present.

The Base Gym is always available you most likely will not be allowed use this during basic as you already PT'd to death most days and there is a dry canteen (tuck shop) in the evenings this will be available while in basic training.

There is also a wet canteen called the junior rates mess which is basically a bar this is out of bounds during basic training.

• Advertisement

Yes in basic training all the males are in one 30 berth cabin which is broken up by the lockers and double bunk.

If you are living in on a ship you will be in a two or four berth cabin on most ships unless your on a Peacock which has 11 berth cabins.

On the Naval Base if you are living in you will be sharing a two berth cabin.

On the base you eat in the dining complex which is attcahed to the Galley.

The food on the base is outstanding at the mo, some great chefs on the base at present.

The Base Gym is always available you most likely will not be allowed use this during basic as you already PT'd to death most days and there is a dry canteen (tuck shop) in the evenings this will be available while in basic training.

There is also a wet canteen called the junior rates mess which is basically a bar this is out of bounds during basic training.

Thanks for the great info, you said don't join the navy if you want to make money, but wile your at sea an ordanary seaman would get around 600 a week if that's correct? And not spending anything while out there u could save good enough money?

Thanks for the great info, you said don't join the navy if you want to make money, but wile your at sea an ordanary seaman would get around 600 a week if that's correct? And not spending anything while out there u could save good enough money?

No that is not correct in the slightest.

As an ordinary seamen you will earn €270 a week after tax.

You will get an extra €20 a day apprix each day at sea so that is €140 a week.

So as an O/S you will earn €410 a week after tax.

You will be working a minium of about 14 hours a day so that is a minimum of a 98 hour week.

So that is about €4.10 an hour after tax.

In reality you are available 24/7 for work so it would be fairer to divide the €410 by 168 hours so that makes €2.44 an hour after tax.

You get 8 hours sleep a day as an O/S, the only problem is that is spilt up by watches so you get to sleep in 4 hour blocks.

I have often seen men awake for 36 to 45 hrs during operations.

I wouldn't do any other job in the world so please don't think I am knocking the place I am just been honest.

Your an adult, open your eyes, switch your brain on and see if your up to the task.

No that is not correct in the slightest.

As an ordinary seamen you will earn €270 a week after tax.

You will get an extra €20 a day apprix each day at sea so that is €140 a week.

So as an O/S you will earn €410 a week after tax.

You will be working a minium of about 14 hours a day so that is a minimum of a 98 hour week.

So that is about €4.10 an hour after tax.

In reality you are available 24/7 for work so it would be fairer to divide the €410 by 168 hours so that makes €2.44 an hour after tax.

You get 8 hours sleep a day as an O/S, the only problem is that is spilt up by watches so you get to sleep in 4 hour blocks.

I have often seen men awake for 36 to 45 hrs during operations.

I wouldn't do any other job in the world so please don't think I am knocking the place I am just been honest.

Your an adult, open your eyes, switch your brain on and see if your up to the task.

I was told they get 57euro a day while at sea? If that's correct about the wages then that is terrible money, job seekers allowance dosnt sound to bad after reading that

I was told they get 57euro a day while at sea? If that's correct about the wages then that is terrible money, job seekers allowance dosnt sound to bad after reading that

Yes the rate of Patrol Duty Allowance is €48 euro a day but the tax man takes most of that.

I normally calculate PDA at 20 so that when you do your monthly household budget you under estimate slightly which is alway better than over estimation.

If you are on a vessel on Op Pontus the mission in the med for those 12 weeks you would be earning Overseas Peace Support Allowance (Unarmed) in lieu of PDA which is €55.14 untaxed.

This makes the med missions where you are earning €385 extra per week untaxed so that is an extra €2.29 an hour untaxed.

Of the course with the insane long working days, the heat and the very highest operational tempo make it a very difficult mission.

Of course the poor unfortunate people you are getting to help make it very much worthwhile personally, as who wouldnt want to help people out especially children when they are at their very lowest point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

You wont be getting €600 a week for being at sea.

The sea going gets paid in the one big lump sum which is subject to tax/paye/usc.

New entrants are on very poor pay at the moment, not many lads who pass out of recruits can afford to rent outside Haulbowline and have to live in.

And if anyone disagrees with me have a look at the living in accommodation in the base because its full.

mikeym wrote: »
    You wont be getting €600 a week for being at sea.

The sea going gets paid in the one big lump sum which is subject to tax/paye/usc.

New entrants are on very poor pay at the moment, not many lads who pass out of recruits can afford to rent outside Haulbowline and have to live in.

And if anyone disagrees with me have a look at the living in accommodation in the base because its full.

Anyone know what the highest paid jobs in the navy are? Very disappointing hearing how bad the pay is, for a job like it the pay really should be better

Anyone know what the highest paid jobs in the navy are? Very disappointing hearing how bad the pay is, for a job like it the pay really should be better

The Vice Admiral who is Chief of Staff is on €189,000 (gross as in pre tax) but that might take you a while to get to that level.

The highest pay enlisted person would be the technical warrant officers.

a Naval Warrant Officer is the equivalent of an Regimental Sargent Major.

They would be on €776 a week after tax, these are completely non sea going roles at the very top of their branch and the most senior NCOs.

They would work a 9-5 type of hours.

so about €19.4 a hour after tax.

They don't do duty or go to sea so they get absolutely no other chance to earn more money.

So a technical chief at sea could earn more wit duties an sea going.

for example a techinal chief at sea on €731 a week after tax.
    They will do eight (8) four (4) week patrols in the year.
    That's 224 days at sea.
    So that is Patrol Duty Allowance of €4,480 after tax extra per year.
    Which if you average it out is an €86 a week extra per year.
    Which brings the average wage over the sea going year (which means both when out on patrol and alongside)of a technical chief to €817 after tax.

Of course all they figures are highly variable so don't go planning a mortgage on them.

A technical chief at sea still earns just about minimum wage while at sea.

They would earn after tax for seven (7) days at sea €851.
    This is an hourly rate of €5.06 after tax.

Minimum wage is €9.15 pre tax an hour at the moment for an experienced adult worker.

The Vice Admiral who is Chief of Staff is on €189,000 (gross as in pre tax) but that might take you a while to get to that level.

The highest pay enlisted person would be the technical warrant officers.

a Naval Warrant Officer is the equivalent of an Regimental Sargent Major.

They would be on €776 a week after tax, these are completely non sea going roles at the very top of their branch and the most senior NCOs.

They would work a 9-5 type of hours.

so about €19.4 a hour after tax.

They don't do duty or go to sea so they get absolutely no other chance to earn more money.

So a technical chief at sea could earn more wit duties an sea going.

for example a techinal chief at sea on €731 a week after tax.
    They will do eight (8) four (4) week patrols in the year.
    That's 224 days at sea.
    So that is Patrol Duty Allowance of €4,480 after tax extra per year.
    Which if you average it out is an €86 a week extra per year.
    Which brings the average wage over the sea going year (which means both when out on patrol and alongside)of a technical chief to €817 after tax.

Of course all they figures are highly variable so don't go planning a mortgage on them.

A technical chief at sea still earns just about minimum wage while at sea.

They would earn after tax for seven (7) days at sea €851.
    This is an hourly rate of €5.06 after tax.

Minimum wage is €9.15 pre tax an hour at the moment for an experienced adult worker.

Is it hard to become naval warrant officer?

Is it hard to become naval warrant officer?

Yes.

There are only 6.
    Master ar Arms (WO Seaman)
    WO ERA.
    WO EA.
    WO Logistics.
    WO Communications.
    WO Naval Computer Centre.

They tend to stay in their roles for decades.

There Aer Corps have 8 Sargent Majors some mad reason even though they are smaller than the NS.

The Army have 29 Sargent Majors.

1.5 years to Able Rate
    4/5 years to Leading Rate
    8/14 years to Petty Officer.
    14/22 years to Chief Petty Officer

the above times very much depends on your branch and trade.

You are talking 20 plus years service trade, one or two degrees.

I know amazing servicemen who have all the above and 35 years service and will never be a WO because the position won't be vacated before their own retirement.

Yes.

There are only 6.
    Master ar Arms (WO Seaman)
    WO ERA.
    WO EA.
    WO Logistics.
    WO Communications.
    WO Naval Computer Centre.

They tend to stay in their roles for decades.

There Aer Corps have 8 Sargent Majors some mad reason even though they are smaller than the NS.

The Army have 29 Sargent Majors.

1.5 years to Able Rate
    4/5 years to Leading Rate
    8/14 years to Petty Officer.
    14/22 years to Chief Petty Officer

the above times very much depends on your branch and trade.

You are talking 20 plus years service trade, one or two degrees.

I know amazing servicemen who have all the above and 35 years service and will never be a WO because the position won't be vacated before their own retirement.

Well I may forget about that, so I could actually be in there for years before making a decent wage from it? What about going into comms do the courses take long and does the pay go up much? Really appreciate the info youv given, sorry about all the questions I just want to have a good idea of what I'm getting myself in to!

• Advertisement

Well I may forget about that, so I could actually be in there for years before making a decent wage from it? What about going into comms do the courses take long and does the pay go up much? Really appreciate the info youv given, sorry about all the questions I just want to have a good idea of what I'm getting myself in to!

No problem at all with the questions. Critical examination of a job with such a huge commitment is highly advisable.

All this information by the way is freely available in the public domain with a little applied goggling so there isn't any state secret here.

The basic communication operatives course is 16 weeks long so combined with your basic training, this is a training period of 30 months plus. It is fairly difficult so normally the more academic chaps & chapettes are selected for this.

Having been corrected by a serving senior Comm/Op I have updated to state that CommOps get tech two so that would be an extra €26.90 a weekly pre tax, Able Rates pay (year 6) €553.80 weekly , Naval Pay €18.90 weekly & Military Service Allowance €115.43.

For a total of €715.03 weekly pre tax while shore based.

Please note all figures are approximate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The big bucks is in the commissioned ranks but you need a good leaving cert and have the ability to adapt well to responsibility and leadership.

(I think all the navy recruitment threads should be merged.)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

No problem at all with the questions. Critical examination of a job with such a huge commitment is highly advisable.

All this information by the way is freely available in the public domain with a little applied goggling so there isn't any state secret here.

The basic communication operatives course is about 6 mths long, it is fairly difficult so normally the more academic chaps & chapettes are selected for this.

I think CommOps get tech three so that would be an extra €40.62 a weekly pre tax, Able Rates pay (year 6) €553.80 weekly , Naval Pay €18.90 weekly & Military Service Allowance €115.43.

For a total of €728.75 weekly pre tax while shore based.

O/Commop Course is 16 weeks long.

Commops are on Tech Grade 2.

a/tel wrote: »
    O/Commop Course is 16 weeks long.

Commops are on Tech Grade 2.

Thanks A/Tel, I will edit accordingly.

I can't believe people out there think the service gets 57euro at day while at sea. no one would ever leave.

What about the naval diving course, good wages??

What about the naval diving course, good wages??

Toughest military course available.

Even Arny Rangers don't always make it through divers.

It is also the main route for sailors into the ARE, if you can pass the diving course you MIGHT be able to pass selection.

€45.72 per day before tax so maybe €20 afterwards.

They don't get that all the time, only if they dive.

Like I said at the start, don't join the Navy to make money. You won't.

Join if you want to test yourself, be different and do something different.

Join if you think you might part of that 1% who could make the special forces.

Join if you want to learn new skills, try for a trade and maybe stay long enough an earn a degree.

But there ain't a whole pile of cash in it.

Have done the first step in this competition the online exam last Thursday, waiting on results now, anyone know how long will this competition go on for and when they will select the winners in the competition, roughly end of summer or end off year??

Have done the first step in this competition the online exam last Thursday, waiting on results now, anyone know how long will this competition go on for and when they will select the winners in the competition, roughly end of summer or end off year??

I am also in the same situation and would also like to know. Also is the next step, assuming that we passed the online tests, the interview or the physical tests? Also how much notice will they give for the physical. I feel pretty fit but would like a couple of weeks notice to sharpen up.

I am also in the same situation and would also like to know. Also is the next step, assuming that we passed the online tests, the interview or the physical tests? Also how much notice will they give for the physical. I feel pretty fit but would like a couple of weeks notice to sharpen up.

Well iv been told that the interview will come before the fitness test, no idea when, iv been running a little myself but would train harder if I had an idea of a deadline, did you manage to answer all questions on the online exam?

• Advertisement

Well iv been told that the interview will come before the fitness test, no idea when, iv been running a little myself but would train harder if I had an idea of a deadline, did you manage to answer all questions on the online exam?

No I'd say I managed to answer about 75% of them, ran out of time.
    What about you?

Advertisement