Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jewellery issue

Options
  • 17-05-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My boyfriend bought me a Michael Kors chain for xmas and over time all of the stones have fallen out. I brought it back to them today, they said they would send it back to MK and they can decide if they will offer a repair or credit note.
    I'm not sure of my rights. i told them I don't want a repair and would be happy enough to choose something else in store but not MK.
    I don't really want the money back (€119) but if they repair and it happens again am I entitled to full refund?
    They say no refunds on the receipts but I know they can't really enforce that.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

repair or replacement are valid options for the retailer to chose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Credit note isn't one of the 3 recourses for a faulty item. Also the repair needs to be permanent so you don't need to accept any attempt at a second repair -refund or replacement are the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

the above answers are a little vague. you are entitled to one of the 3 r's if there is shown to be a defect in the manufacturing of the item.

however if they assess that the damage was caused by you, they may not offer any thing to you/

the 3 r's are

refund
    repair - must be permanent
    replace

the store offers you and you can accept or disagree. if you cannot come to an agreement you can go to small claims court. however if you are shown to have refused a reasonable offer this may count against you.

So if they offer a store credit note for the full value of the purchase i would snap their hand off. Personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

They can and are entitled to offer a refund. If it breaks again though you are entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

They can and are entitled to offer a refund. If it breaks again though you are entitled to a refund.
    I take it you mean they can offer a repair.

Yes, it is true that if they fail to repair it satisfactorily, you can refuse a further repair. But that does not mean that you are automatically entitled to a refund: they can replace the chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Great, thanks guys.
    I said I didn't want a repair after the girl I was dealing with said some of the stones fall out in that jewellery. This was literally all of the stones, so I'd take a credit note faster than a repair.
    I think I was more angry yesterday at the 6-8 weeks and 'they'll decide what to offer you' and writing no refunds on receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

' and writing no refunds on receipts.

They probably say "this does not affect your statutory rights" somewhere.

Mostly when retailers say "no refunds" its to do with "change of mind" refunds which there is no entitlement to. They almost always state it doesn't affect your statutory rights in regard to the product being of merchantable quality.

Advertisement