Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloudready OS / Chromium OS

Options
  • 17-05-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Anybody else try out Cloudready by Neverware. It's Chromium OS compiled to install onto USB or hard drives.

I have been trying it out for the past few days. Find it very snappy on old laptops via USB 3 / USB 2.0. Loads chrome browser very fast from USB and have used successfully with google docs and sheets. Free for non-commercial users. You just need a USB drive of 8/16 GB and follow these instructions below. The Neverware instructions don't seem to allow the USB installer to work.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1215090-getting-ready-to-be-cloudready-3-tips-to-save-your-sanity?page=1#entry-5084153
    Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.

Google will eventually allow android apps to be installed on ChromeOS so it will be interesting to see if that carries through to Chromium OS ports.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

sounds just like a live Linux........it's nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

I'm sure it is not new. Have you tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

No, for a live OS I use Puppy Linux or Parted Magic, both run entirely in ram

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

it is what is installed on Chromebooks , so it si not new , goole been working for years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_OS

Yeah I know that they are similar alright, having owned a chromebook.
    For older computers and for those without linux knowledge I think that it works pretty well from USB. Lots of people use laptops just for web browsing.
    I'm not saying that it is a completely new OS and I'm not saying that the idea of live booting is new either. I am just opening up a discussion about it (no thread popped up in search).

The boot to browser is fairly fast <10 seconds, it can handle video streaming pretty good, casting from chrome is also good using vidostream.
    Access to google drive works without hiccup from the file browser.
    Able to run some android apps using Arc Welder too.
    Freezes at google inbox though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

How does it differ from RemixOS?

I tried Remix the same laptop as dual boot. I do not think Remix is as polished. Often the laptop hangs when opening apps.

Remix can cast very successfully from laptop using native android cast.

It is slower to boot and chrome isn't as optimised. Is Remix 64 bit? I think the idea is great but does not seem to work as well on decent machines. When Google get the finger out and merge the ChromeOs and Android code then we will see an interesting space.

Advertisement