Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I guess SIX teraflops is the new headline.

Was Kinect compatability mentioned with Scorpio?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Great showing from Phil and Microsoft this year.

Now that the platform is x86 it makes releasing new consoles easier as older games should work.

Interesting to see what Sony have then seem to be focusing on vr since they aren't showing the neo.

Unless of course they call a emergency meeting like they did for the ps4 launch
    And quickly reshuffle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I shouldn't be unhappy about it, especially being able to play Scalebound now with out forking out for a new console but I would have thought MS would want to sell Xbox Ones. And if not then perhaps look into making Windows 10 a better gaming platform. It's like they aren't committing to either.

The XB1 is selling really poorly despite MS best efforts. The windows versions are easy ports so they are throwing them out there to try and get some extra sales.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

still a bit strange, asking people to buy a new version of a console that will be superseded in 15 months.

that said, a far better showing than last year, I've gone from having little or no interest in buying an Xbone, to seriously considering buying a 2nd hand one when the big sell-off of older models beings.

It's not really being superseded, you will still buy the same games, you'll still play on the same xbox network etc. It is a more powerful version of the same system. This is not like the jump from Xbox 360 -> Xbox One.

For a lot of people the current graphics will be enough for a few years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

quad_red wrote: »
    I guess SIX teraflops is the new headline.

Wasn't mentioned - but they said all accessories will work on X1, X1S and Scorpio

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kind of confused about this Scorpio deal. These mid gen upgrades have almost universally failed spectacularly with the exception of the Gameboy colour which at least was a massive update to the hardware (and only lasted 18 months)

As for the games announced.... I mean the PS4 is a piss poor console if you own a PC but what Microsoft presented looked great... but will be on my PC. At least the PS4 has some exclusives. I can't think of a single game on Xbox One that makes me want to own one.

My PS4 physical games count is over 20, my Xbox One count is 5.
    And I see nothing to change that in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The Scopio games will be playable on X1, X1S.

is there a risk then of not being able to exploit the full capabilities of the Scorpio if they have to have games built to accommodate the XB1/XB1S?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Kind of confused about this Scorpio deal. These mid gen upgrades have almost universally failed spectacularly with the exception of the Gameboy colour which at least was a massive update to the hardware (and only lasted 18 months)

I think times have changed a lot compared to the 90s though.
    People have more disposable income these days and have no problem shelling out for the latest iPhone, or upgrading their graphics card every 2 years.

The upgrades you mention were cumbersome console add-ons also, not revised consoles so it's fairly different this time.

If they can make a much bigger difference to VR or the graphics and frame rate, it might just pay off this time round.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Great showing from Phil and Microsoft this year.

Now that the platform is x86 it makes releasing new consoles easier as older games should work.

Interesting to see what Sony have then seem to be focusing on vr since they aren't showing the neo.

Unless of course they call a emergency meeting like they did for the ps4 launch
    And quickly reshuffle

I can't see VR working without Neo (or Scorpio), or at least not to an acceptable level for high end gaming - so if VR is going to be the sell, Neo will come with it, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Does anyone actually know what a teraflop means? Like it's power related obviously but it's an arbitrary number to 99% of people, such a stupid marketing thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Fantastic show.

What I would have liked to have seen also would have been Steam integration and an update on Crackdown 3.

Delighted to see a Phil Spencer Xbox on the horizon that will take the lead in the console market.

The Xbox S looks nice and sleek. The custom controlled were I nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

is there a risk then of not being able to exploit the full capabilities of the Scorpio if they have to have games built to accommodate the XB1/XB1S?

Doubt it, the games will likely eventually push the new hardware & have a lower setting for the One/S

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

quad_red wrote: »

CatinaBox over on the xbox thread said the Xbox One S won't have a kinect port but that you can order a usb hub to power it for free.

Probably the same case for the Scorpio.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does anyone actually know what a teraflop means? Like it's power related obviously but it's an arbitrary number to 99% of people, such a stupid marketing thing

It's not a marketing thing at all, it's a very scientific measurement of performance.

Exactly what I have been saying - as the games will be playable on all 3, they will have to be developed to work on the current version of the hardware - so beyond graphics I can't see the Scorpio (or Neo) being used to their potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Don't have a Xbox one but thought it was a great showing by them. Tempted by the Scorpio, sorry for the positivity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't have a Xbox one but thought it was a great showing by them. Tempted by the Scorpio, sorry for the positivity

Get outta here with that! :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Myrddin wrote: »
    Doubt it, the games will likely eventually push the new hardware & have a lower setting for the One/S

This is my take on it too, they're basically turning Window 10 into a steam like platform and Xbox into their version of a steam box. The One shouldn't affect the games on the scorpio any more than a low end laptop would affect those that run on a high end gaming PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I've personally thought this gen has been pretty boring and I've been nowhere near as incised to buy games as I have with last gen. Maybe a powerful refresh would help to liven things up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The One shouldn't affect the games on the scorpio any more than a low end laptop would affect those that run on a high end gaming PC.

Precisely :)

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »

Lower settings in what? Graphics? Enemy count? AI? Environment size? Can they develop games (pracitically) with different versions of AI and environment? Will MS/Sony allow such gameplay differences between games being played on the same family of consoles (PS4&Neo, XB1&Scorpio)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Lower settings in what? Graphics? Enemy count? AI? Environment size? Can they develop games (pracitically) with different versions of AI and environment? Will MS/Sony allow such gameplay differences between games being played on the same family of consoles (PS4&Neo, XB1&Scorpio)

I think it's strictly graphical with added frame rate, at least that's what I know Sony is mandating.

I wonder would that affect games like COD where the lads with the newer consoles have an advantage over the rest then

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I think it's strictly graphical with added frame rate, at least that's what I know Sony is mandating.
    Thats my understanding - which means the games could be better with regards to aspects apart from graphics, but Sony/MS won't allow such differences. So we will be missing out on the potential of the new versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yes, that's whats happening. They will drop things like frame rate, draw distance, resolution, AA filtering, particle filtering, shadow quality.

It's the same basic game, just one will look and play better than the other.

Sony will be the first to do their toe into the water later this year.

Dice had this problem with Battlefront recently, low end PCs had to turn off smoke effects while gamers on high end rigs had all the smoke turned on. The gamers on the lower end machine can see and shoot through the smoke while the high end gamers were blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

LOL at MicroSoft trying to take on Steam.

They just will not give up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great to see state of decay 2 is coming but as someone who only brought an Xbox 1 at xmas I must say I'm a bit pissed about them releasing two new hardware revised consoles, don't see how its 1-0 to Microsoft to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm... I don't see any concrete proof that the console is going to render at 4K or if it will render games at 4K. I mean the 1080 from Nvidia hits 30 fps on most games at 4K, I doubt AMD's Polaris tech is going to better that by much and the Scorpio will almost certainly be based around it. The 1080 is also an enthusiast card, by 2017 that power might be down to mid to high level that consoles aim at.

Colour me sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The only thing I really took away from the Xbox conference is that it's not targeted at us anymore. Seems to be targeted at anyone who doesn't care about PC.

I'm just delighted there's no reason for me to pick up an Xbox at all now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rob2D wrote: »
    LOL at MicroSoft trying to take on Steam.

They just will not give up.

Their platform doesn't support SLI or mods and has other stupid quirks which are utterly insane considering that the PC being an open platform is it's main attraction for people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hmm... I don't see any concrete proof that the console is going to render at 4K or if it will render games at 4K. I mean the 1080 from Nvidia hits 30 fps on most games at 4K, I doubt AMD's Polaris tech is going to better that by much and the Scorpio will almost certainly be based around it. The 1080 is also an enthusiast card, by 2017 that power might be down to mid to high level that consoles aim at.

Colour me sceptical.

This. Isn't it more likely this is gonna deliver rock solid 60fps at 1080p?

Which I'd actually be fine with. But they promised that for the 360 so they can't say that now.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the Witcher 3 running at 1080p smooth as butter? Halo 5 that didn't have a tub of Vaseline smeared on the screen?

I'd happily take Destiny 2 at a rock solid 60fps at 1080p.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement