Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Their platform doesn't support SLI or mods and has other stupid quirks which are utterly insane considering that the PC being an open platform is it's main attraction for people!

Not 100% true. Sure no mod launchers etc but mods are slowly making their way to console with Fallout 4 first, then Skyrim remastered next. It's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

been a pc gamer the last year, but after seen ms conference their, I'm very tempted to pick up that xbox one slim. Theirs a few console exclusives I want as well.

Hope ps conference is better or worse so it can help me make my mind up which console to buy :)
    Great e3 so far in my opinion though :) have enjoyed it alot more compared to last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lower settings in what? Graphics? Enemy count? AI? Environment size? Can they develop games (pracitically) with different versions of AI and environment?

As mentioned above, it'll be akin to playing a game on a low spec machine, then playing that exact same game on a high end machine. There's any number of options they can use to scale the performance/fidelity back, ideally a little of everything so the game is scaled back in an even way.
    Will MS/Sony allow such gameplay differences between games being played on the same family of consoles (PS4&Neo, XB1&Scorpio)

I can't imagine the gameplay being vastly different between consoles, so hopefully MS/Sony will allow the developers to call the shots in that regard. Might it be akin to GTA V on the 360 & GTA V on the One? Perhaps not even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    been a pc gamer the last year, but after seen ms conference their, I'm very tempted to pick up that xbox one slim. Theirs a few exclusives I want as well.

Literally all of the exclusives are coming to Windows 10, just use your PC.

Also:

Microsoft just announced that Crackdown 3, not present at this morning’s E3 press conference, has been delayed into 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Literally all of the exclusives are coming to Windows 10, just use your PC.

Also:

Microsoft just announced that Crackdown 3, not present at this morning’s E3 press conference, has been delayed into 2017

should of clarified

meant console exclusives. Like ufc, fifa(not exclusive but fifa on console is a much bigger and better community for ultimate team),scalebound etc..

edit : is scalebound coming to w10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Myrddin wrote: »
    As mentioned above, it'll be akin to playing a game on a low spec machine, then playing that exact same game on a high end machine. There's any number of options they can use to scale the performance/fidelity back, ideally a little of everything so the game is scaled back in an even way.

I can't imagine the gameplay being vastly different between consoles, so hopefully MS/Sony will allow the developers to call the shots in that regard. Might it be akin to GTA V on the 360 & GTA V on the One? Perhaps not even?

and that is my issue with these two new potential consoles - with the power available they could offer more than graphical upgrades - I'm disappointed that the games we could play on them will likely not be as good as they can be.

As I say, its like Destiny on PS3 vs PS4. They are basically the same game apart from graphic issues - and Destiny could be a far better game than it is if it was only being developed on the current gen consoles - we'd have bigger areas, more enemies etc (it has just dropped support of previous gen for the latest planned DLC and beyond, because previous gen can't handle it)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It could turn out that the Sonys Neo will be like the Xbox One S and they could very well announce something along the line of the Scorpio aswell.

Like the guys have said the Scorpio will act a bit like a PC and tone back on the settings.

I had planned on upgrading my launch One to the S for the 4k upscaling and smaller size when it leaked but now I'm going to wait and get the Scorpio.

If you were looking for an Xbox now you have three choices.
    1: Buy a Current One (Cheaply when the S launches)
    2: Buy the S
    3: Wait 18 months and get the Scorpio.

If you were thinking of upgrading from the One you have two choices
    1: Buy the S at launch
    2: Wait 18 months.

As an early adopter i dont mind that Microsoft announced these models now as it gives me 18 months to save up.

If Sony came up with something along the same lines it'd be good for gaming as well as it gives people loads of options to get into this Gen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Not 100% true. Sure no mod launchers etc but mods are slowly making their way to console with Fallout 4 first, then Skyrim remastered next. It's a start.

I'm not even talking about consoles, it's their windows store and UDK kit which makes it even more baffling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

should of clarified

meant console exclusives. Like ufc, fifa(not exclusive but fifa on console is a much bigger and better community for ultimate team),scalebound etc..

Better off with a PS4 at this stage. PC covers everything that the One can do while the PS4 has a handful of exclusives but at least it has some exclusives.

Hmm... I don't see any concrete proof that the console is going to render at 4K or if it will render games at 4K. I mean the 1080 from Nvidia hits 30 fps on most games at 4K, I doubt AMD's Polaris tech is going to better that by much and the Scorpio will almost certainly be based around it. The 1080 is also an enthusiast card, by 2017 that power might be down to mid to high level that consoles aim at.

Colour me sceptical.

Did they not say in the final clip that the Scorpio would be native 4K? Maybe not though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Better off with a PS4 at this stage. PC covers everything that the One can do while the PS4 has a handful of exclusives but at least it has some exclusives.

my thoughts exactly.
    what Xbox does, they do very well, but the variety of games just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did they not say in the final clip that the Scorpio would be native 4K? Maybe not though.

In a round about way but never actually said it. It just said it could do 4k gaming, that leaves the door open for upsacling like the Neo suppossedely can do too.

All this power is more geared towards 720p VR at 120fps than 4k gaming.

In a round about way but never actually said it. It just said it could do 4k gaming, that leaves the door open for upsacling like the Neo suppossedely can do too.

I'm convinced I heard native 4k gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seeing as they're trying so hard to bring everyone to W10, I'd say they'll extend the free period for another while

Doesn't matter, will still need to but a copy after the free period if you do any major hardware changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

and that is my issue with these two new potential consoles - with the power available they could offer more than graphical upgrades - I'm disappointed that the games we could play on them will likely not be as good as they can be.

I'll reserve judgement, but as of right now, I don't seem them R&D'ing these new machines not to take advantage of them. I'm an fps over resolution man myself, so I can understand the concerns (don't give me an amazing looking game that plays of 30fps, it needs to be 60fps minimum, & if they've to drop the fidelity a little to achieve that, then so be it). I'm cautiously optimistic, especially given that I think VR is the real goal here, that'll there'll be enough grunt to give us both - visual fidelity & rock solid/high fps.
    As I say, its like Destiny on PS3 vs PS4. They are basically the same game apart from graphic issues - and Destiny could be a far better game than it is if it was only being developed on the current gen consoles - we'd have bigger areas, more enemies etc (it has just dropped support of previous gen for the latest planned DLC and beyond, because previous gen can't handle it)

They'll develop with the higher hardware in mind, & neuter accordingly. I'd say by late 2018/2019 we'll be seeing the real gains.

If so it's a very bold claim to make as PCs are just managing that now on a single GPU but at 30fps.

I'm interested in this HDR mode they are throwing around that only the Slim can do. HDR is nothing special as PC games have it for years.

HDR in 4K movies now is a different animal, you need a 4K TV with HDR and the effect in colour range and balance is amazing.

Halo, Ori and The Blind Forest, Forza, Quantum Break off the top of my head.

ReCore and Scalebound coming.

I am jealous of Bloodborne through :(

Also if someone was buying a console I'd tend to advise them to get one that most of their friends play on rather than based off exclusive games.

Yup, literally ever MS exclusive is coming out on PC as well as XB1 now.

I think they've done huge damage to the Xbox brand with this conference. No real exclusives, a new revision that will be obsolete within a year, maybe two or three interesting games in the next couple of years and at the back of it all they are trying to play catch up with a console that is giving them an absolute shellacking saleswise.

I'll keep my XB1 because my IRL friends are on the platform but if i had to make the decision to buy one over again, i simply wouldn't. If the one i have now dies or whatever i won't even bother replacing it at this stage.

It just a bit pointless.

Halo is the only exclusive there and i suppose Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2.

Everything else is on PC/coming to PC.

The 360 and PS3 can do 1080p native but hardly any games supported it since it caused awful slowdown on anything but indie games. Same way my PC can do 3440 x 1440 but my 970 dies when trying to do it. Got a 1070 coming soon thank ****!

The majority of those are on PC or coming to PC. Halo is the only exclusive there and Forza is free to play on the windows store (although I'd prefer Forza Horizon on PC, Sumo Digital make cracking racers).

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Yup, literally ever MS exclusive is coming out on PC as well as XB1 now.

I think they've done huge damage to the Xbox brand with this conference. No real exclusives, a new revision that will be obsolete within a year, maybe two or three interesting games in the next couple of years and at the back of it all they are trying to play catch up with a console that is giving them an absolute shellacking saleswise.

I'll keep my XB1 because my IRL friends are on the platform but if i had to make the decision to buy one over again, i simply wouldn't. If the one i have now dies or whatever i won't even bother replacing it at this stage.

It just a bit pointless.

I don't understand how you can see Microsoft giving a PC copy of a game away Free with an Xbox copy of the same game as a bad thing. Surely this is a good thing saving people money and allowing cross platform progress and saves?

Now I don't have a PC but surely if you were upstairs on your PC and fancied playing a few hours of Scalebound it's a nice option to be able to save your progress from the PC go to the sitting room sprawl out on the sofa and pick up where you left off on the Xbox?

Edit: Just on the exclusive games so I don't make a heap of replies to everyone and I can't multi quote on mobile (I think) but do you not get those games free if you own the Xbox version?

Maybe my thinking is off here but those are available though the Microsoft Store on PC so it's still exclusive to Microsoft?

If Sony created thier own PC store or Partnered with Steam or someone and gave you their first party games free on that platform would that not be a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think Sunset Overdrive is the only game on XBbox One that isn't on PC that appeals to me

I don't understand how you can see Microsoft giving a PC copy of a game away Free with an Xbox copy of the same game as a bad thing. Surely this is a good thing saving people money and allowing cross platform progress and saves?

Now I don't have a PC but surely if you were upstairs on your PC and fancied playing a few hours of Scalebound it's a nice option to be able to save your progress from the PC go to the sitting room sprawl out on the sofa and pick up where you left off on the Xbox?

or if you don't have an xbox and really want to play Scalebound, you now don't need to buy an xbox - you can play it on PC instead. That is the point people are making; less of a reason to buy an xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sure you have to complain about something, either way the Windows 10 games is money going to whoever benefits from Windows as they ain't going on steam which is something to moan about in the future no doubt :P

The thing is there's nothing stopping you sprawling out on the couch with a PC. There's plenty of options, streaming to the sitting room or just using your PC as the main games machine since it supports console controllers anyway.

With the advances in PC tech it's become a far more user friendly experience than console gaming for me. Steam manages updates automatically and my GFX software manages my drivers automatically as well.

Also with a SSD my PC boots up and into a game far faster than my PS4 can.

Stuff like Bloodborne are what keep my PS4 from being sold even if I wish it was on PC because the load times are appalling :) I probably would have bought a One for Scalebound but at the moment I don't see any point, and this is coming from someone that usually owns all games machines (including a virtual boy!).

The Scorpio and Neo kind of have me worried for the NX though. Nintendo really need to try something different because matching the PS4 and One is not going to work, although I doubt they are going to chase that market.

I think Nintendo need to chase the market to get back 3rd party dev support. No one is going to buy their console just for exclusives anymore, that's what happened the WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Also with a SSD my PC boots up and into a game far faster than my PS4 can.

You could put an SSD into your PS4 if you wanted tho. However, it would work better if you could still keep your HDD and a separate SSD for a couple of games at a time like on XB1 & PC.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You could put an SSD into your PS4 if you wanted tho. However, it would work better if you could still keep your HDD and a separate SSD for a couple of games at a time like on XB1 & PC.

An SSD in the PS4 makes little difference, it's not designed to take full advantage of it like laptops and PCs. It's the way games file format is compiled and the OS that determines it overall. Some games take more advantage of an SSD more than others.

or if you don't have an xbox and really want to play Scalebound, you now don't need to buy an xbox - you can play it on PC instead. That is the point people are making; less of a reason to buy an xbox.

Yes but Microsoft still gets your money?

Don't most console manufacturers make a loss on the actual console or subsidise it somewhat to the consumer so if they can offer the game on their own market on a different platform and generate more sales it surely makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Trying to get my head around this; will the Scorpio simply provide VR capability and greater visuals provided you have a 4K TV?

What is the advantage of having a super console if the quality of the games created will be held back by the power of the lesser console, similar to the start of this gen where games were released on the One/360 & PS4/PS3?

For these reasons and as a non XBox owner, the Slim seems like a nice option to me as it will provide the same gaming experiences as the upcoming Scorpio albeit with reduced graphical quality.

Do I have this all wrong? Is the Scorpio solely aimed towards those seeking 4K visuals and VR or am I missing something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement