Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

I reckom it will cost a lot more than 500 euro if thats true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    Scorpio will deliver 4k native, not upscaled.

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    The gpu is about the same power as the 1080 which can currently run games at 4k/60 medium settings.

We will have to wait and see.

I just don't believe it for a second considering current consoles can't hit 1080p at 60fps tells a story.

I'm not saying the techs not there, I'm saying it's bloody expensive.

Pretty sure this Mafia 3 trailer wasn't shown at e3?

Looks fantastic, characters and acting look much improved also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Any time I see the name Scorpio, I think of this chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Any time I see the name Scorpio, I think of this chap.

Not this chap? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well the Mafia 2 storyline was great. The game itself was decent enough to carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm so glad I have much lower standards than a lot of you here. Some of you will never be happy.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm so glad I have much lower standards than a lot of you here. Some of you will never be happy.

Don't take much notice of Retr0gamer. He even admits a lot of what he says is hyperbole! He's an interesting character. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Doge wrote: »
    Pretty sure this Mafia 3 trailer wasn't shown at e3?

Looks fantastic, characters and acting look much improved also.

Zero-Cool posted it over on the E3 Trailers thread yesterday:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100017026&postcount=13

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

jcd5971 wrote: »
    We will have to wait and see.

I just don't believe it for a second considering current consoles can't hit 1080p at 60fps tells a story.

I'm not saying the techs not there, I'm saying it's bloody expensive.

yes being built from the ground up for native 4k gaming, 8 core cpu in it as well. i can see it costing like 800 quid and then xbox one being the cheaper model (think phone model), its probably part of the whole combined windows 10+xbox so microsoft can try (again) to get a hold of the pc gaming (scorpio) market.

From what ive took they are abandoning the traditional 5-6 year console cycle in order to bring out new devices more often that will all run the same software at different levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody know what bohemia were showing off at the PC show?

Please tell me they said Arma 3 Apex is out right now!! I know its partially on dev branch but im hoping they didnt have a date on it as they were gonna say 'Now available' at E3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote: »

Please tell me they said Arma 3 Apex is out right now!! I know its partially on dev branch but im hoping they didnt have a date on it as they were gonna say 'Now available' at E3

They just said anyone who has pre-ordered Apex edition and is signed up for preview builds should be downloading a few gb of an update right now. (It was 4.4gb)

"Everyone who's pre-ordered Apex will get access to a sneak preview that includes everything except the co-op campaign (accessed via a Steam beta branch for the game)."

It's out fully July 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

EoinHef wrote: »

Out July 11. They added the new map to dev branch with a bunch of other stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Pac1Man wrote: »

On the contrary, I'm ridiculously happy with a lot of games, I just think folks tend to be cynical because E3 is all marketing and little substance, it's advertisements and hype and a lot of people have been disappointed about stuff presented at E3 that failed to live up to expectations, so view it with some skepticism. I don't like to think of myself as cynical, but I have a very "wait and see" approach. And there's personal taste of course, show me any big budget shooter and I'll fail to get excited, but We Happy Few has me extremely intrigued. Same I'd guess with other folks who haven't found that much presented at E3 tickling their fancy, most of it probably doesn't appeal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Hmmmm july 11th,up till yesterday it was still coming up as a june release. Ah well least they released it on dev branch. Wanna try out the new aircraft. Great fun to fly round with a flight stick in that game and a nice way to check out the new map. Hopefully the new aircraft were part of that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

there building a new machine from the ground up to play games at 4k, while keeping the xbox one at the same time, kinda like low end pc's can play the same games as high end pc's at the same time, their new motto seems to be "no more generations"

Pretty sure their motto is still emrbace, extend extinguish.. Now with the whole 'ONE' thing.

G0v4rER.jpg?1

And in the darkness bind them :rolleyes: Oh yeah, generations don't exist unless of course you're on Windows 7/8 without DX12.

As for 8th generation consoles getting these computer-like upgrades to handle 4K.

They sacraficed everything this generation to push graphics. Including shockingly low framerates. So you just about get 1080p @ 30ish fps on certain 8th gen games... few of which look particularly more impressive than Crysis (2007)(MGSV?). Same deal with 4K? 4K uncharted/halo at them cinematic™ 30ish fps or perhaps have it an option. I've no clue. If someone's enthusiastic about performance, graphics the latest technology and the money to fund it they'll ought to have a computer rig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The big mic drop moment today was the 4K Xbox announcement.

Interesting times ahead. No doubt Sony will have to get off the canvas and regroup to come up with a counter that will work.

I wonder will the PS4.5 be scraped, maybe reworked, and/or pumped up with more power to at least get it to limp it through the reminder of this gen until a 4K PS4.

I am sure they didn't mention it today to give themselves some room to manoeuvre. They possibly knew it was coming.

Microsoft are definitely killing it in the specs department, I can see multiplats playing better on the One.

Sony still though currently have the better variety of games, even if there was no real "must buy" games revealed last night, and they are a bit more vague with release dates/stage of development of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pretty sure their motto is still emrbace, extend extinguish.. Now with the whole 'ONE' thing.

G0v4rER.jpg?1

And in the darkness bind them :rolleyes: Oh yeah, generations don't exist unless of course you're on Windows 7/8 without DX12.

As for 8th generation consoles getting these computer-like upgrades to handle 4K.

They sacraficed everything this generation to push graphics. Including shockingly low framerates. So you just about get 1080p @ 30ish fps on certain 8th gen games... few of which look particularly more impressive than Crysis (2007)(MGSV?). Same deal with 4K? 4K uncharted/halo at them cinematic™ 30ish fps or perhaps have it an option. I've no clue. If someone's enthusiastic about performance, graphics the latest technology and the money to fund it they'll ought to have a computer rig.

If I'm guestimating their specs from that vague "6 teraflops" announcement, you're looking at NVidia 980-ish performance.

Barely good enough for 4k30.

AMD RX480 looks set to match that at ~$199 on PC.

Resident Evil 7 trailer surprised me, looks like another change in direction for the series :confused:

Bound looks incredible!

Detroit Become Human.. It looks incredible, but what's the actual gameplay length going to be, if it's essentially one scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

The gpu is about the same power as the 1080 which can currently run games at 4k/60 medium settings.

So I can see it being very possible.

Xbox Scorpio is claiming 6 TFLOPS, which puts it just between GK110 (Kepler), aka GTX 780 @5.04 TFLOPS, and NVidia GM200 (Maxwell), aka the 980Ti @ 6.82 TFLOPS.

NVidia GP100 (Pascal), aka GTX 1080 delivers 10.6 TFLOPS. You're probably mistaking with the GTX 1070.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Very interesting so far for me.

Really like the look of
    For Honour
    Sea of Thieves
    ReCore
    We Happy Few

Is For Honor the Only Multi Platform or are the others available as well?

The design of the One S is really really nice and I like the ability to customise your own controller is a good move on Microsoft's part.

Also the system LFG could be massive going forward for people with very few online friends, especially if they implement a rating system where good rated players are paired together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet, but the PS4.5 and Hank Scorpio will cause a number of problems for the future. First of all, everybody has become accustomed to seeing through the UbiSoft veneer and know to not take their E3 demos as a depiction of how the final game will look. This will now apply to all future PS and Xbox games. Obviously, MS and Sony will want to show the best version of their games and they will be shown on the more powerful models, thus leaving those on Xbox One and PS4 feeling deflated when they see how the game will look on those consoles. Just look at the backlash against the downgrade on WatchDogs as an example, except it won't be one game, it will be all games on these respective consoles. Unless, of course, this is MS and Sony's plan to roll out more frequent machine upgrades, thereby making consoles PC-lite.

The gulf in quality and performance will have to be noticeable to justify what I suspect will be a high price-point for these upgrades. If gamers cannot tell the difference in quality, why would they spend $500 on an upgrade? Because they are sheeple? Perhaps, but most will question the purpose of an expensive upgrade. This, in turn, may force developers to spend more time on the 'better' versions, and leave the 'older' version feeling unloved. The belief would be that both MS and Sony don't choose a preferable platform, but the whole idea of these new consoles is to outperform their rival with fidelity so with that in mind, how can they not push the 'better' version?

Finally, both upgraded consoles won't be out until late next year, possibly 2018 if there are delays. This technology will be outdated by then. Sure, you will get 4K, but probably at 30fps, so be prepared to be sold the 'truly cinematic' lark. Unless, of course, they really turn consoles into PCs by adding scaleable options. Perhaps you can sacrifice 4K, down to 1440p and get 60fps instead? If this is the route they go then it means the new consoles can last longer because most gamers prefer 60fps to outright stellar visuals. However, if this doesn't happen, then we can expect more regular iterations of consoles. Every 3 years a new console with better features come out and the PC upgrade cycle transfers onto the console market.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wow, didn't cop that Spider-Man was PS4 exclusive:
    https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/742539085638701056?lang=en

Though after the last few Spider-Man games, I'll definitely be waiting for a few weeks after reviews are out. Been hurt too many times before...

Also, am I the only one not really interested in For Honor? It looks utterly bland to me and the gameplay Ubisoft showed basically put it down as nothing more than a complete button-masher.

Steep looked pretty cool, but I really want an SSX Tricky kind of game where the tracks aren't 'Generic Mountain 1', 'Generic Mountain 2' etc. Bring some f*cking fun and originality into the level design. The gameplay looks solid but if it's just going to be snow/trees/rocks, I doubt it'll hold anyone's interest for too long.

Watch Dogs 2 didn't do anything for me either. Unless you find out the guy with the emoji mask is actually the villain and you can kill him in his stupid mask at the end. The city streets looked fairly empty too.

For me, the biggest two games that I'm interested in from E3 are South Park: TFBW and the Crash Bandicoot remaster. Some of the others pique my interest, but will be very much wait and see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Xbox Scorpio is claiming 6 TFLOPS, which puts it just between GK110 (Kepler), aka GTX 780 @5.04 TFLOPS, and NVidia GM200 (Maxwell), aka the 980Ti @ 6.82 TFLOPS.

NVidia GP100 (Pascal), aka GTX 1080 delivers 10.6 TFLOPS. You're probably mistaking with the GTX 1070.

Considering it's going to be made by AMD I highly doubt they are using their rivals gfx card!

Also doesn't change the fact that the 1080 is struggling at 4K and that's far and away the best GPU on the market at the moment. It's grand to say it works at medium settings @ 60 fps but medium settings isn't something to celebrate, most games have near PS2 level textures and all the fancy post processing and alpha effects turned off which is what makes next gen games look next gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Wouldn't the downloads for 4k games be absolutely enormous? Also, wouldn't it significant increase the time needed to develop AAA games meaning there would be fewer of them being made with them being even safer than now to ensure widest market appeal?

I have a 4k TV (won it in a competition) and while it's great watching the likes of Daredevil and the other Netflix content in 4k, it wouldn't be as big a deal for me in terms of gaming and I wouldn't be paying big money for a console for the privilege of playing 4k which will more than likely be superseded by another iteration in 2-3 years time.

Was watching a trailer for one of the Sony Exclusives and it had an ad for Microsoft on it.

Ha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't the downloads for 4k games be absolutely enormous? Also, wouldn't it significant increase the time needed to develop AAA games meaning there would be fewer of them being made with them being even safer than now to ensure widest market appeal?

I have a 4k TV (won it in a competition) and while it's great watching the likes of Daredevil and the other Netflix content in 4k, it wouldn't be as big a deal for me in terms of gaming and I wouldn't be paying big money for a console for the privilege of playing 4k which will more than likely be superseded by another iteration in 2-3 years time.

Unless texture quality goes up considerably then I doubt the 4K versions will be getting any bigger unless there are pre rendered cinematics.

I'd say they will pretty much just be the PC versions or upscaled versions of the base game, rendering at 4K is such a huge strain on hardware that I wouldn't expect any fancier effects or shaders or upgraded geometry. maybe some FoV improvements but then again effects and quality might even be dialled back just to achieve 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Days Gone looks very Last of Usy, in a good way. Spiderman looks class, waiting for a Batman Arkham quality Spidey game, hopefully this can deliver. Stupid it's exclusive though, I'd be going mad if it was only on xbox. Resi 7 looks cracking! Is the demo on the US store? Can't see it on EU one.

EDIT: i see it now on the mobile app - Resident Evil 7 the beginning hour.

Couldn't help but smile while Kojima was on stage. That game looks......strange....but then wouldn't expect any less.

Batman VR could be class but who knows when it will be out in EU and even then dunno if I'll be splashing out 400 quid to look like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

A lot of expert type people are saying it is pretty much an impossibility that the Scorpio will be capable of 4k/60 at anything approaching a sane price for a console.

Also, MS basically shrugged their shoulders when asked if their will be any Scorpio exclusive games.

I reckon both the announcement video and the specs/concept were knocked together in a couple of days last week. It's all so vague that it seems like they panicked and don't have a clue what they are doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement