Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I think you watched the wrong show.

Last year Sony had very little content for late 2015 and they didn't even show up at Gamescom 2015. They even came out and admitted they hadn't anything until 2016.

This year was great for Sony at E3 but last year was desperate.

Yeah, announcing Shenmue 3 and the FF7 remake were real low points for Sony last year.

MS really killed it last year with yet more GearsofHaloForza, the worst versions of multiplatform games and the amazing disappearing Crackdown ;)

At least this year they had State of Decay 2 and Dead Rising 4. Last year was an encapsulation of why no one cares about Xbox anymore, same tired old franchises that haven't been relevant/good since the mid 2000s.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No mention of the vita again ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What the hell happened to the Red Dead 2 announcement? :mad::mad::mad:
    You mean the thing that was literally never anything more than rumours, hearsay and the collective will of gamers across the world? :D
    lawlolawl wrote: »
    Last year was an encapsulation of why no one cares about Xbox anymore, same tired old franchises that haven't been relevant/good since the mid 2000s.
    AKA The Nintendo Effect...
    No mention of the vita ?
    No surprise there, I think they'd rather just forget that it's out there except the people who own one seem to keep buying games for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cormac... wrote: »
    Precisely. Cool concept but didn't adopt quickly enough by creating large price barriers hence support dropped off. Kind of like that Neo Geo console thing back in the day.
    3D is not massively appealing cause of the glasses in the least, but gimme a whole thing I can strap around my head and over my eyes.... i kid :P

I've found numbing myself to the carry on that is "Native 4K 3D VR play at 60fps available for <$600" has made it a lot easier to stomach E3 this year

If a console is going to run native 4k surely the price point is going to be at the point where you could build a way better pc for a little extra and be done with consoles altogether. It would seem to me that microsoft are sounding the death knell for the xbox by ensuring that all their exclusives are on pc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yeah, announcing Shenmue 3 and the FF7 remake were real low points for Sony last year.

MS really killed it last year with yet more GearsofHaloForza, the worst versions of multiplatform games and the amazing disappearing Crackdown ;)

At least this year they had State of Decay 2 and Dead Rising 4. Last year was an encapsulation of why no one cares about Xbox anymore, same tired old franchises that haven't been relevant/good since the mid 2000s.

They didn't announce Shenmue 3.

They asked fans to fund it's development via Kickstarter.

As we see this year there is absolutely no sight of it what so ever. Not even a few seconds shown for an update.

It's a poor standard for E3 when announcing a Kickstarter is deemed a win for a show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They announced Shenmue 3 and then asked the gamer to fund it. Yes they showed FF7 but like you said it's a remake so nothing you haven't seen before.

What else did Sony show at e3 last year that even made it out in 2015 or even up to now in 2016? (Genuine question I can't think of any and my brother brought the PS4 with him)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shiminay wrote: »

No surprise there, I think they'd rather just forget that it's out there except the people who own one seem to keep buying games for it.

As someone who loves there vita its really disappointing .

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

What the hell happened to the Red Dead 2 announcement? :mad::mad::mad:

There was someone on reddit saying the cut scene they were going to show was basically a saloon full of inoocent people being massacred and that it might not be the best way to announce the game 2 days after the Orlando shooting and they hadnt time to recut a new one so they dropped it..

This could be bull**** but it sounds plausible..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

bigphil2 wrote: »
    There was someone on reddit saying the cut scene they were going to show was basically a saloon full of inoocent people being massacred and that it might not be the best way to announce the game 2 days after the Orlando shooting and they hadnt time to recut a new one so they dropped it..

This could be bull**** but it sounds plausible..

Jeez, that's a fairly grim way to announce the game in light of what happened alright.
    Hope there is some truth to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

MS is like the boy who cried wolf when it comes to promising 4K. They said the cloud would promise an amazing leap in graphics too and that fell apart.

I'll believe it when I see it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So, the games...

I tried Resident Evil VII trial this morning, and fair to say they've been a tad inspired by PT (and Gone Home, actually). It's much more traditional horror fare, though, lacking the experimental spirit and deep psychological dread of that all too brief glimpse of what was not to be. In Resi, they've liberally borrowed the tricks and tropes of horror cinema in a much more straightforward way, not least a near straight emulation of the iconic Blair Witch ending. That said, it STILL threatens to drag an embattled franchise back to relevancy. It's hard to tell how much will carry over to the main game - imagine, no combat! - but it certainly could be a fresh start for the series. Also quite dug the way the game switched perspectives, ala the VHS series. Lots of potential to that aspect if they roll with it.

The Last Guardian, almost inevitably, remains the only major game I've seen that makes me feel really excited. Now, I'm sure there'll be plenty of interesting and thoroughly enjoyable games to emerge out of these demos and trailers. But Team Ico's game feels like the most notable 'event', a group of artists having taken the time to experiment with what kind of experiences and ideas games can communicate. Who knows how it will turn out, and whether their ambitions will get the better out of them. But with a crowded 2016 release schedule, for me The Last Guardian stands heads and shoulders over the countless franchise sequels and blockbusters.

As I said yesterday, I welcome Microsoft's new Windows commitment, even while I decry their attempts to force a console-like ecosystem in the process. The one thing that concerns me is the conservatism of their games line-up, with even Scalebound looking like a much more focus-grouped variant of Platinum insanity. Hopefully the promising Sea of Thieves and the like turn out to be a tonne of fun, but there's definitely a lack of more offbeat efforts even in their reasonably 'safe bet' indie game line-up. Not that Sony don't have a heavy reliance on sequels and safe bets either - hell, a SpiderMan game was their most 'unexpected' reveal over the last few days. But I think what I'm basically saying is Microsoft needs its Last Guardian :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Sea of thieves art style is class. Definitely something I'd have interest in.

Was hoping Rime would show up but apparently that whole project was a farce from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

This arms race between Sony and MS, predicated on 4K gaming and VR (two unproven gaming techologies in a lot of ways) is a big gamble.

No matter what way you slice it, we're going to be looking at very expensive consoles. All the current gen debate on resolution and frame rates seems to have led Sony and MS down this path, and I wonder are they just listening to the noisiest gamers out there, or do they really understand the needs of gamers in general?

Personally, I want great games that I can play on a console that I know will have a decent lifespan. If I wanted the best graphics, frame rates etc., I'd buy/build a bloody gaming PC.

This could be a huge, costly misstep. Some people have been predicting a crash in gaming and/or consoles for a while now, and this could be the point where console manufacturers jump the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They didn't announce Shenmue 3.

As we see this year there is absolutely no sight of it what so ever. Not even a few seconds shown for an update.

It's a poor standard for E3 when announcing a Kickstarter is deemed a win for a show.

Important to point out that Sony didn't ask fans to fund its development, the developer did. They just did it at the Sony conference, where the fact the game was in development at all was announced.

Besides which, "a Kickstarter" wasn't deemed a win for Sony's conference, the announcement of a long-awaited and anticipated sequel to a franchise with many, many fans was deemed a win, regardless of the method of funding the development.

Sony & MS both try get the big announcements from other developers to happen during their conferences even if the game is multi-platform. That's how it's always been. In this case, Sony got the announcement to happen during their conference, and it was one of the most talked about announcements of last year's E3.

I couldn't give a f*ck about the game or how they're funding it, but even I can recognise it was a big get for Sony last year.

Don't think we saw anything of Kingdom Hearts 3 this year did we :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Probably the best opinion you'll get on the Scorpio right now and they are sceptical about 4K gaming:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-project-scorpio-spec-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    The GTX 1080 doesn't struggle to hit 4k30, it can do that quite competently.

I know I said it struggles to hit ABOVE 30 FPS consistently, emphasising consistency and above part

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The "problem" with the PS4 and X1 is that they were recession machines released at the end of a tech slump. Just months after they launched 4K and VR became the new big thing. They were built cheap and launched at a cheap price point compared to gen 7 consoles. Now this is biting back, there was no way they were going to last 10 years like the gen 7 machines.

Back when the 360 and PS3 launched 720p and 1080p graphics were new to consoles and most people didn't even own a HDTV at the end of 2005.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't think we saw anything of Kingdom Hearts 3 this year did we :confused:

Don't expect anything for years out of that game. Nomura is in charge of the project, the same lead that almost drove FF15 into the ground until Tabata took over.

I expect it will be a disaster project with Tabata stepping in again to save it.

Fecking awful series anyway, I hope Tabata takes over because when he took over birth by sleep and rescued that project he managed to make the only bearable game in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Untrue, Sony funded the game when they acquired it, what they did was left the donation goals in place.

Also Im noticing I'm falling into a trap of defending Sony too much here, I like both consoles and think either being dominant is a bad thing overall.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And yet, more of the games that really impressed me at least, were on the WiiU...

I haven't seen anything from the WiiU! Unless I missed it in the video thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    Important to point out that Sony didn't ask fans to fund its development, the developer did. They just did it at the Sony conference, where the fact the game was in development at all was announced.

Besides which, "a Kickstarter" wasn't deemed a win for Sony's conference, the announcement of a long-awaited and anticipated sequel to a franchise with many, many fans was deemed a win, regardless of the method of funding the development.

Sony & MS both try get the big announcements from other developers to happen during their conferences even if the game is multi-platform. That's how it's always been. In this case, Sony got the announcement to happen during their conference, and it was one of the most talked about announcements of last year's E3.

I couldn't give a f*ck about the game or how they're funding it, but even I can recognise it was a big get for Sony last year.

I think Sea Of Thieves was my favourite from the show so far.

It'd be great fun having a group running your own ship and going sinking other real peoples ships and plundering :)

I thought the bit where they got drunk was very funny :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sea of Thieves does look fun, like an age of sail variant of Guns of Icarus. These games only work if you're guaranteed to have a full crew of friends on a voice service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I haven't seen anything from the WiiU! Unless I missed it in the video thread?

Guessing he just means the most impressive games of this generation so far.
    Though will have another impressive game, I hope, this evening with Zelda.

Stuck in a meeting until 5 so will be late home for the first Zelda coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I have to ask, wtf with 4K?

I've got a six year old 1080p plasma and watching Euros games on TV3 in bleary **** o vision, it's rare to see content fully utilizing the tv I have.

Give us bloody reliable 1080p at 60fps and then we'll talk.

Even something as old as Uncharted 3 looks sweet at 60 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

quad_red wrote: »

I've got a six year old 1080p plasma and watching Euros games on TV3 in bleary **** o vision, it's rare to see content fully utilizing the tv I have.

...but TV3 have a HD channel now, why aren't you watching that? :confused:

Edit: I see it isn't on saorview, that's a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    ...but TV3 have a HD channel now, why aren't you watching that? :confused:

That's on Sky/UPC. I have freesat/saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

That's on Sky/UPC. I have freesat/saorview.

Be worth your while getting a freesat box if possible.

*Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »

Bottom line is that a Kickstarter campaign was announced by Sony last year and yes they asked fans to fund it. That is irrefutable. That's what happend.

We didn't see even see 2 seconds of what they Kickstarter funding generated also at this E3 which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I have to ask, wtf with 4K?

Give us bloody reliable 1080p at 60fps and then we'll talk.

All of Netflix's original content from now on will be 4k and there's a special section for 4k programming when I go into the app on my TV. It is extremely impressive looking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement