Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Did Sony really need to spend 10 minutes on the orchestra at the opening?

That's 10 minutes that could have been spent showcasing amazing indie games coming to PS4. Maybe there wasn't much to show.

It seems Xbox is the new home lately for indie games. It's nice at E3 to see big players like Microsoft highlight indie studios and titles who don't really get a big spotlight like E3 every year. It's a shame Sony doesn't think they are as important this year.

So my question is if you had a choice between 10 minutes of a Orchestra or 10 minutes of showcasing indie titles which would you choose?

Orchestra > Retro Pixel Shooter II.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cormac... wrote: »
    Does Zelda have a release date?

Not sure how I feel about the aesthetic of it. Seems washed out looking imho.
    Also, the world seemed pretty, but empty.

I of course it is awesome, but was not blown away at all.

Both versions are out March 2017 when the NX is due out.

The aesthetic reminds me of a cross between Wind Waker and Ico, damn fine in my book. I originally thought the same about the world being a little empty but I think it might just have been the starting area. Edit: Here's a link giving a bit more info, sounds like it'll be busy enough. :)
    Have they said whether it will be only on the Wii U or will there be a version for NX? Have they mentioned any details on the NX or its lineup so far?

They've said both versions of Zelda will give the "same experience" - not sure if that means they will be identical (considering it started life as a Wii-U title) or whether the NX version will look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I didn't think I'd find to many Orchestra fans in the gaming forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

emmetkenny wrote: »

Can't beat a good André Rieu concert.

AndreRieu2014_7_495_305_c1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

MS, the masters of confusion again. Spencer is now saying that Scorpio wont increase frame rate if your TV is 1080p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview
    You should buy [the Xbox One S], because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you

They are missing a trick here. Someone with a 1080p screen, who wants to spend big money for better framerates should be allowed to.
    They are actively gimping the Scorpio for no reason only to keep selling the Xbox One S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MS, the masters of confusion again. Spencer is now saying that Scorpio wont increase frame rate if your TV is 1080p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

They are missing a trick here. Someone with a 1080p screen, who wants to spend big money for better framerates should be allowed to.
    They are actively gimping the Scorpio for no reason only to keep selling the Xbox One S.

He says it is built as a 4K gaming console, so you need a 4K screen to get the benefit of the design - maybe that includes any framerate improvements, maybe over time we'll find out Spencer was not 100% right here.

As I've said from the start - with the decision that all One games will be playable on Scorpio (and vice-versa, ie. not Scorpio exclusive titles) you are immediately setting on a path where devs either can't or practically won't take full advantage of what the Scorpio could do. Same argument with the Neo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If Sony had this man conducting some people on here would still be moaning

ennio-morricone-759.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

As I've said from the start - with the decision that all One games will be playable on Scorpio (and vice-versa, ie. not Scorpio exclusive titles) you are immediately setting on a path where devs either can't or practically won't take full advantage of what the Scorpio could do. Same argument with the Neo.

If they can do it on PC, no reason why they can't do it on consoles. They can just adjust the graphical settings automatically based on the console version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

It's confusing alright. I mean, what is the Scorpio and who is it for?

It's going to be like having a Ferrari in the garage and using it for running down to the shops. I'd imagine there will be Scorpio-only games eventually, especially VR ones, but the messaging here again is muddy to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's confusing alright. I mean, what is the Scorpio and who is it for?

It's going to be like having a Ferrari in the garage and using it for running down to the shops. I'd imagine there will be Scorpio-only games eventually, especially VR ones, but the messaging here again is muddy to say the least.

I'd love to go for a spin to the shop in a Ferrari:D

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    If they can do it on PC, no reason why they can't do it on consoles. They can just adjust the graphical settings automatically based on the console version.

SO you think with all the extra memory, CPU and GPU the Scorpio is going to have they could only improve the graphics?

They couldn't improve enemy AI? Or player/NPC count on screen? Or the size of the environments?

I think they could, but won't because the One won't be capable of matching it. Same as Destiny on last gen vs current gen. the only real difference between the two versions was graphics - the current gen versions were massively held back by keeping a level of parity with the last gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Soooo all those Xbone games on Windows 10 PCs, and you're complaining about Scorpio being gimped... see where I'm going with this? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Soooo all those Xbone games on Windows 10 PCs, and you're complaining about Scorpio being gimped... see where I'm going with this? ;)

Microsoft are really stupid or really smart, depending on the product

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Why would they(MS and Sony btw) make a more powerful console and not make better running games? Smells like bull**** to me..
    I reckon that they will see how many units sell and then decide to make exclusive games or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Both of the big windows 10 store games, Tomb raider and Quantum something were pretty piss poor versions of said games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

SO you think with all the extra memory, CPU and GPU the Scorpio is going to have they could only improve the graphics?

They couldn't improve enemy AI? Or player/NPC count on screen? Or the size of the environments?

I think they could, but won't because the One won't be capable of matching it. Same as Destiny on last gen vs current gen. the only real difference between the two versions was graphics - the current gen versions were massively held back by keeping a level of parity with the last gen.

Welcome to PC gaming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It's nearly on par with the Don Mattrick line "No internet, then stick with the 360".
    They turned that round pretty quick at least. I can see the same happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Why would they(MS and Sony btw) make a more powerful console and not make better running games? Smells like bull**** to me..
    I reckon that they will see how many units sell and then decide to make exclusive games or not..

Because the current consoles can't run games any better? Compared to PC, consoles are averagely Medium graphical settings at 30fps. They can't push 60fps in most games above 720p, and it would be laughable if all games were Medium, 720p just to run at 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It's nearly on par with the Don Mattrick line "No internet, then stick with the 360". They turned that round pretty quick at least. I can see the same happen here.

Nothing like that at all.

Don Mattrick was a serious bellend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

emmetkenny wrote: »

Oh, on the contrary ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Venom wrote: »
    Both of the big windows 10 store games, Tomb raider and Quantum something were pretty piss poor versions of said games.

Forza is perhaps a slightly more encouraging herald. Runs really well.

The Windows Store and interface are horrid, though, and unfortunately I fear the pricing of some of the games may make even Steam RRP seem reasonable - and without the benefit of competing sellers.

The sound effects in Cuphead will become quickly grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I heard there was a Studio Ghibli reference in here, I came as fast as I could

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Forza is perhaps a slightly more encouraging herald. Runs really well.

The Windows Store and interface are horrid, though, and unfortunately I fear the pricing of some of the games may make even Steam RRP seem reasonable - and without the benefit of competing sellers.

Damm right they need to do something. Quantium Break is €70 in the store. 70 fcuking quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Can't wait for the Phil Spencer Xbox Scorpio.

It's going to be a defining moment in console gaming.

I'll skip the Xbox One S. It's very tempting though. It looks glorious.

I wonder what Sony's plan is to counter it. They might have only expected MS to make a slight upgrade like the PS4 Neo not a gen jump like the Scorpio.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the Phil Spencer Xbox Scorpio.

It's going to be a defining moment in console gaming.

I'll skip the Xbox One S. It's very tempting though. It looks glorious.

I wonder what Sony's plan is to counter it. They might have only expected MS to make a slight upgrade like the PS4 Neo not a gen jump like the Scorpio.

That's the thing though, Scorpio isn't next-gen. That's why they're going to be limited to keeping games similar to other versions of the XBox One (aside from graphical upgrades).

I don't doubt the graphical capabilities of the Scorpio (well, they haven't shown anything to doubt), but if they're saying all games will be playable on all versions of the XBox One, then all versions of the XBox One have to be able to play the game. To me, that means the only difference between the One and the Scorpio will be graphics and probably faster loading time.

Like Mitch Connor said, it won't improve things like enemy AI or environment size or number of NPCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Microsoft cut the line about having the highest quality pixels from the official youtube video about the scorpion :(

Also, Phil Spencer told an interviewer that the Scorpio won't do anything extra over a traditional One if you have anything other than a 4K TV, no increased framerate or anything. The framerate of games is apparently going to be the same on the One and Scorpio by design. The Scorpio is just upscaling 720/1080p games to 4k. That's it.

Then he turned around and for some reason started talking about how the Wii won last generation on price despite being the weakest console, presume that was about the One-S :/

I'm not sure what's going on over at MS anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Penn wrote: »
    Like Mitch Connor said, it won't improve things like enemy AI or environment size or number of NPCs.

In PC games, none of this changes if you buy the latest, greatest GPU. Why would it on console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    In PC games, none of this changes if you buy the latest, greatest GPU. Why would it on console?

Yeah but your framerate and other visual effects will.

The Scorpio isn't even doing that :confused:

I'm calling it now. That video and the entire concept of Scorpio was dreamt up last Wednesday afternoon.

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

So there is no difference in the size of games, or quality of AI, between a 360 and an Xbox One? Destiny is as good as it could be on the One (and PS4), wasn't held back by 360 and PS3?

The point is the extra power of the new console versions could produce bigger and 'better' games, not just prettier textures - by forcing parity (and I understand the 'why' of the situation) across the family you are stopping developers from making the best games they could on the superior machine versions.

All these new console versions will offer (it seems) is prettier graphics - when it could be much more. It annoys me that the new console versions will be hamstrung in such a way - it lessens the point in them being created. Just wait a little longer, create an even better console and call it a new gen with backwards compatibility - at least then we'd see games fulfilling the potential of the hardware, maybe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement