Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

lawlolawl wrote: »

I'm calling it now. That video and the entire concept of Scorpio was dreamt up last Wednesday afternoon.

Oh absolutely.... :rolleyes:

Reports back in May say otherwise.
    http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If you own a windows 10 gaming PC is there even a small reason to buy an Xbox anymore? Saying that I've a PC+ps4 and this will be my last generation owning a console ever, just gathering dust and used for Netflix! Nothing but f**king remasters anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

SO you think with all the extra memory, CPU and GPU the Scorpio is going to have they could only improve the graphics?

They couldn't improve enemy AI? Or player/NPC count on screen? Or the size of the environments?

Of course they could increase the number of npc's on screen, especially for a game like gta, like wise draw distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    In PC games, none of this changes if you buy the latest, greatest GPU. Why would it on console?

I was just responding to Failsafe's comment about Scorpio being a "gen jump", and bigphil's comment wondering about future exclusive Scorpio games.

All the Scorpio is offering is 4K gaming. It's still an XBox One and will be playing XBox One games. It's still part of this gen of game consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    All the Scorpio is offering is 4K gaming. It's still an XBox One and will be playing XBox One games. It's still part of this gen of game consoles.

I think that's the point. They're trying to get rid of this gen thing and make it more like PC where your games will continue to work on the next better console in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So there is no difference in the size of games, or quality of AI, between a 360 and an Xbox One? Destiny is as good as it could be on the One (and PS4), wasn't held back by 360 and PS3?

Who said that? In your own words, all the new console will do is make games prettier.

If the Scorpio had smarter AI and more enemies etc. Then Scorpio games wouldn't be the same as Xbox One games. There wouldn't be any way of making multiplayer possible if they had differences like that. Co-op, they have to have the same enemy numbers, how would the Scorpio player have extra or smarter enemies, it wouldn't work at all. Stuff like FIFA, if the Scorpios defenders have smarter AI than the Xbox One players, the Scorpio guy has a clear advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

That's a good point. I remember when BF3 got reduced player count and other reductions compared to PC.

Can imagine as the PS4 and X1 age and the PC powers further along that the neo and scorpio will be held back. They'll look great, but it'll still have the barebones and limitations of weakest system.

I really like the idea of a really powerful console, but to be honest, I think I'd prefer a new console generation in 2018, 5 years after the PS4 and X1 that can stand on its own legs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've yet to play a game on the current gen of consoles that couldn't be easily handled by the previous gen with a reduction in graphical quality. Doubt Scorpio would upset the status quo even if it didn't have to support Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    That's a good point. I remember when BF3 got reduced player count and other reductions compared to PC.

Can imagine as the PS4 and X1 age and the PC powers further along that the neo and scorpio will be held back. They'll look great, but it'll still have the barebones and limitations of weakest system.

I really like the idea of a really powerful console, but to be honest, I think I'd prefer a new console generation in 2018, 5 years after the PS4 and X1 that can stand on its own legs.

I think someone mentioned it earlier but this Gen were real recession machines.

Also tech has advanced a lot quicker between 360/PS3 and One/PS4 than Xbox/PS2 and 360/PS3. I'd say this will be a short gen and then going forward we could expect 5 year generation cycles from Consoles (I don't think we will ever see an eight year gap again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think that's the point. They're trying to get rid of this gen thing and make it more like PC where your games will continue to work on the next better console in the future.

It's a pretty smart move with the upside of having for want of a better word just one console OS for the Xbox, means total backwards comparability with all previous games, apps and peripherals. Hell, most of the AAA game demos are running on high spec PC's at these events anyway so not much change there.

The downside is game developers having to cater to the lowest common denominator but I suppose just like PC games a common baseline could be found with more graphic options bling being available for the top tier machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,906 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If the Scorpio had smarter AI and more enemies etc. Then Scorpio games wouldn't be the same as Xbox One games. There wouldn't be any way of making multiplayer possible if they had differences like that. Co-op, they have to have the same enemy numbers, how would the Scorpio player have extra or smarter enemies, it wouldn't work at all. Stuff like FIFA, if the Scorpios defenders have smarter AI than the Xbox One players, the Scorpio guy has a clear advantage.
    Yes - if the Scorpio games were developed to the potential of the console, they wouldn't be possible on One. Thats my point: MS are creating an expensive console they won't make the most of - that is irritating to me.

I don't see the point in the console - if it isn't going to take advantage of all those extra TAERRAFLOPS or whatever, why do it? I thought it would be for VR, but their commuication inidicates all the VR stuff will work on One too - so any, potential still held back.
    They'll look great, but it'll still have the barebones and limitations of weakest system.

THis, in a nutshell. It could be so much more, but it won't be.
    Agreed - would much prefer it held off a further year and then they release something properly worth the money (from my perspective and their R&D perspective too)

But the way MS (and apparently Sony) are doing it is that the games dev'd for the new more powerful version have to work on the old version too - which will hold back the potential of the "next gen" stuff

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've yet to play a game on the current gen of consoles that couldn't be easily handled by the previous gen with a reduction in graphical quality. Doubt Scorpio would upset the status quo even if it didn't have to support Xbox One.

Bungie have stated Destiny could be done on PS3 and 360 because they hamstrung the next gen versions to make it work the same on both generations.

You will get to, quickly imo, a point where developers can't make the games they want on Scorpio, because they aren't possibly on One - and that is a shame, imo.

But the way MS (and apparently Sony) are doing it is that the games dev'd for the new more powerful version have to work on the old version too - which will hold back the potential of the "next gen" stuff

You're looking at it all wrong IMO. You're still looking at it like 360 vs XB1 when you should be comparing it to a Gtx 760 vs Gtx 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So the Xbox Scorpio will essentially not be able to offer anything more to a game from a Gameplay perspective (AI, Map Size, Ability to interact with objects, UI, Move and Aim speeds) to any game made in the next few years since any game will always have to work on the X-Box One functionally.

It will just look nicer, and give the option to see it in 4K or Virtual Reality.
    The actual gameplay will always be dictated by the bottleneck of performance (not graphically, textures, pixels, draw distance etc), which will be the X-Box One

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yes - if the Scorpio games were developed to the potential of the console, they wouldn't be possible on One. Thats my point: MS are creating an expensive console they won't make the most of - that is irritating to me.

I don't see the point in the console - if it isn't going to take advantage of all those extra TAERRAFLOPS or whatever, why do it? I thought it would be for VR, but their commuication inidicates all the VR stuff will work on One too - so any, potential still held back.

Agreed - would much prefer it held off a further year and then they release something properly worth the money (from my perspective and their R&D perspective too)

You could apply that argument to the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and all but the strongest PC GPUs and i7 processors. If they can't take advantage of the strongest system, why bother?

1. Some people want to play games without dropping half a grand

2. Some people really like pretty games

I do agree with your points in general though

The annoying thing now is the next gen will be pushed back to 2020, realistically.

I don't really want to buy a neo or scorpio only to buy another console a few short years later.

We'll see how it pans out, but I'm pretty confused as to whether this is a good thing or not, and the details are a bit thin on the ground just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You're looking at it all wrong IMO. You're still looking at it like 360 vs XB1 when you should be comparing it to a Gtx 760 vs Gtx 1080.

But it's going to be a completely redesigned console, it's not like they are just dropping in a new graphics card so it is closer to the difference between the 360 and Xbox1.

I have to say that it was pretty bizarre to announce the Scorpio at the conference straight after the 1S which has effectively killed off any interest in that system.

But it's going to be a completely redesigned console, it's not like they are just dropping in a new graphics card so it is closer to the difference between the 360 and Xbox1.

I have to say that it was pretty bizarre to announce the Scorpio at the conference straight after the 1S which has effectively killed off any interest in that system.

Yes a redesigned console but still running Windows 10 most likely.

I agree with you on the 1s, they're not giving much reason to upgrade for current XB1 owners unless you happen to own a HDR tv or have a 4ktv & REALLY want to watch 4K video.

For new people still interested in XB1 tho, it's a great price point. $299, I'm sure that will get a lot of new buyers who were thinking of getting an XB1 anytime soon.

Apart from that, it's currently the cheapest 4K disc player on the market. Anyone who is looking at getting a 4k blu-ray player at all, now they can get one cheaper than before and also snag a gaming machine at the same time. Win-win, bargain!

• Advertisement

Yes a redesigned console but still running Windows 10 most likely.

I agree with you on the 1s, they're not giving much reason to upgrade for current XB1 owners unless you happen to own a HDR tv or have a 4ktv & REALLY want to watch 4K video.

For new people still interested in XB1 tho, it's a great price point. $299, I'm sure that will get a lot of new buyers who were thinking of getting an XB1 anytime soon.

Apart from that, it's currently the cheapest 4K disc player on the market. Anyone who is looking at getting a 4k blu-ray player at all, now they can get one cheaper than before and also snag a gaming machine at the same time. Win-win, bargain!
    Is it confirmed to play 4K blu ray? I've just seen support for 4K video, but haven't seen anything about 4K discs

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

I don't have an XB1, but if I was to get one it would be the S (due to the size mainly). I have no interest in 4K or VR, so the scorpio isn't for me.

nevelator wrote: »
    I don't have an XB1, but if I was to get one it would be the S (due to the size mainly). I have no interest in 4K or VR, so the scorpio isn't for me.

Vr will seemingly work for s too (and One). they've said all games and peripherals will work across the family, so have to assume vr is included there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Vr will seemingly work for s too (and One). they've said all games and peripherals will work across the family, so have to assume vr is included there.

Not sure about that, I think it was only the newer systems would be backward compatible with older peripherals.

The new controllers are bluetooth so they won't work on the original Xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just think iphone cheap vs iphone expensive, all the apps etc. will work on both but they will run a lot smoother and faster on the expensive version.

Microsoft are basically trying to stop the whole 5-6 year generation model in favor of the model every other tech company uses, i like it, its a good idea.

pretty much the same as pc gaming except with fewer fixed alternatives, every pc game can technically run on something like a 7-8 year old gpu/cpu combination but they just wont have the same graphical fidelity(fps, visuals, resolution) of a modern system, you'll also get 100% backwards compatibility

Is it confirmed to play 4K blu ray? I've just seen support for 4K video, but haven't seen anything about 4K discs

"With four times the resolution of standard HD 4k Ultra HD delivers the clearest, most realistic video possible. Stream 4k content on Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and watch Ultra HD Blu-ray movies in stunning visual fidelity with High Dynamic Range."

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

just think iphone cheap vs iphone expensive, all the apps etc. will work on both but they will run a lot smoother and faster on the expensive version.

Microsoft are basically trying to stop the whole 5-6 year generation model in favor of the model every other tech company uses, i like it, its a good idea.

pretty much the same as pc gaming except with fewer fixed alternatives, every pc game can technically run on something like a 7-8 year old gpu/cpu combination but they just wont have the same graphical fidelity(fps, visuals, resolution) of a modern system, you'll also get 100% backwards compatibility

It always goes so well for MS when they try to change the videogame industry to suit their vision for it.

/TVTVTV! (dropped)
    /Kinect! (dropped)

lawlolawl wrote: »
    It always goes so well for MS when they try to change the videogame industry to suit their vision for it.

So you'd prefer if Sony Neo or the next PlayStation after that didn't support backwards compatibility? :confused:

Varik wrote: »
    Not sure about that, I think it was only the newer systems would be backward compatible with older peripherals.

The new controllers are bluetooth so they won't work on the original Xbox one.
    They Def said across the entire family, and the new pads work with the one too.

• Advertisement

They Def said across the entire family, and the new pads work with the one too.

Yup, they do.

They have both wireless AND bluetooth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement