Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They Def said across the entire family, and the new pads work with the one too.

The new pads are bluetooth and the current One doesn't have it, unless the controller has both but there's no mention of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Varik wrote: »
    The new pads are bluetooth and the current One doesn't have it, unless the controller has both but there's no mention of that.

I know they didn't expand on it at e3 but it's on their site.

Scroll down to the photos under the controller and it says "Xbox Wireless and Bluetooth" - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one-s

Also, the Xbox One Design Lab for controllers is the new controller with bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

You know so if you only have a standard HD TV and get an Neo or Scorpio, will games look better than the original 4/One or would you need a 4K TV to get the benefit of the new consoles?.

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, I don't know much about the technical side of things :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    So you'd prefer if Sony Neo or the next PlayStation after that didn't support backwards compatibility? :confused:

Backwards compatibility isn't a feature that i have used in any console i have ever owned because i just keep the original console to play stuff on.

It's utterly irrelevant to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    You know so if you only have a standard HD TV and get an Neo or Scorpio, will games look better than the original 4/One or would you need a 4K TV to get the benefit of the new consoles?.

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, I don't know much about the technical side of things :pac:

For the Neo, yes they will look better at 1080p (a standard HD screen). For Scorpio, Spencer has caused some confusion on this...I happen to think he got things wrong somehow, if they limit Scorpio to just playing One games in 4K then it'd be a huge mistake imo

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Backwards compatibility isn't a feature that i have used in any console i have ever owned because i just keep the original console to play stuff on.

It's utterly irrelevant to me.

That's nice for you, but it's a huge thing for everyone else.

Myrddin wrote: »
    For the Neo, yes they will. For Scorpio, Spencer has caused some confusion on this...I happen to think he got things wrong somehow, if they limit Scorpio to just playing One games in 4K then it'd be a huge mistake imo

Yes the Neo would look better on a HD TV or yes I'd need a 4K TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

For the Neo, yes they will. For Scorpio, Spencer has caused some confusion on this...I happen to think he got things wrong somehow, if they limit Scorpio to just playing One games in 4K then it'd be a huge mistake imo

I reckon he just said that because they realized they'd shot themselves in the foot in terms of the announcement of the Xbox1S.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    That's nice for you, but it's a huge thing for everyone else.

It really isn't.

People go on about it being a selling point for consoles but both the Wii U and XB1 have it and they are being outsold gangbusters by the console that doesn't have it at all.

Back compatibility is a nice bullet point on a feature list but it is far from a killer app.

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Yes the Neo would look better on a HD TV or yes I'd need a 4K TV?

Sorry, the Neo games will look better at 1080p, than those of a normal PS4. The Scorpio comments seem to suggest the only improvement is in 4K output...again though, there's something not quite right about that so I expect that to change. They're basically saying if you don't have a 4K tv don't buy Scorpio, so it seems wrong to imagine all that power going to waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

It always goes so well for MS when they try to change the videogame industry to suit their vision for it.

/TVTVTV! (dropped)
    /Kinect! (dropped)

i dont really care what microsoft or sony do, i game on my pc for the most part, but i am not above tipping my hat for a good decision, unifying your systems into one constant generation/os is a great idea imo, i love being able to play any of my 200+ games (many of which are 10+ years old) on steam, i love knowing that any new game that comes out will run on my system even if i have to turn settings down.

I know many people who still have their ps3's but would love a ps4 for this game or that game but just cant afford one, this no generation thing would be great for those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They're basically saying if you don't have a 4K tv don't buy Scorpio, so it seems wrong to imagine all that power going to waste.

They're not just basically saying it, Phil Spencer said it outright in an interview:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview
    You announced the Xbox One S. And then you closed the show with Scorpio. Why would I buy the Xbox One S knowing the Scorpio is coming? What possible reason would I have given a much more powerful Xbox is coming down the line?

Phil Spencer: What TV do you have?

A standard 1080p TV.

Phil Spencer: Then you should buy this box, because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you. Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see. Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

It really isn't.

People go on about it being a selling point for consoles but both the Wii U and XB1 have it and they are being outsold gangbusters by the console that doesn't have it at all.

Back compatibility is a nice bullet point on a feature list but it is far from a killer app.

ps4 does have it somewhat, they just sell their old games through psn

Penn wrote: »
    They're not just basically saying it, Phil Spencer said it outright in an interview:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

Sounds more like damage control, ie, "please keep buying Xbox Ones & don't wait for Scorpio". If it is true though, I think it's an awful mistake to make - 4K tv's still aren't that mainstream, and to say to everybody with a 1080p screen "don't buy our new console we've spent countless millions r&d'ing", just seems like a giant mistake given the prevalence of 1080p panels out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I was sure I read somewhere that Rockstar were going to be at E3 for the first time this year. No sign of them or have I missed it?

ps4 does have it somewhat, they just sell their old games through psn

That's not backwards compatibility, that rebuying emulated versions of stuff from previous generations.

Sounds more like damage control, ie, "please keep buying Xbox Ones & don't wait for Scorpio". If it is true though, I think it's an awful mistake to make - 4K tv's still aren't that mainstream, and to say to everybody with a 1080p screen "don't buy our new console we've spent countless millions r&d'ing", just seems like a giant mistake given the prevalence of 1080p panels out there

Remember when the One was first revealed and it was going to require a constant Internet connection to just work?

Remember when MS were quizzed on that after that e3 conference and said "there's a console for people who won't be able to have their One always online. It's called the Xbox 360"?

Remember how that turned out for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

joe123 wrote: »
    I was sure I read somewhere that Rockstar were going to be at E3 for the first time this year. No sign of them or have I missed it?

Apparently their demo was deemed inappropriate following the events in Orlando, Florida, so they pulled it.
    Undoubtedly we will see it in a couple of weeks, or when they put together a new trailer/demo.
    Regardless, it's a decent thing Rockstar did, must have cost them a pretty penny to cancel their showing like that, but hardly likely to have had any effect on future sales of the Red Dead franchise.

joe123 wrote: »

That was Take-Two (Rockstars parent company) who said they'd be at E3 in a big way. Haven't heard much from them yet though besides some gameplay for Mafia III.

lawlolawl wrote:
    Remember when MS were quizzed on that after that e3 conference and said "there's a console for people who won't be able to have their One always online. It's called the Xbox 360"?

Don Mattrick was a dick like previously mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Rockstar aren't ones for being at e3. They usually just announce stuff on their own schedule. The only time I can remember them being at e3 in recent years was announcing the next (current) gen version of GTAV at sonys conference last(?) year.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apparently their demo was deemed inappropriate following the events in Orlando, Florida, so they pulled it.
    Undoubtedly we will see it in a couple of weeks, or when they put together a new trailer/demo.
    Regardless, it's a decent thing Rockstar did, must have cost them a pretty penny to cancel their showing like that, but hardly likely to have had any effect on future sales of the Red Dead franchise.

There is absolutely no evidence of this and Adam Boyes has outright stated it isnt true and that this plan was in place for months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

That's the thing though, Scorpio isn't next-gen. That's why they're going to be limited to keeping games similar to other versions of the XBox One (aside from graphical upgrades).

I don't doubt the graphical capabilities of the Scorpio (well, they haven't shown anything to doubt), but if they're saying all games will be playable on all versions of the XBox One, then all versions of the XBox One have to be able to play the game. To me, that means the only difference between the One and the Scorpio will be graphics and probably faster loading time.

Like Mitch Connor said, it won't improve things like enemy AI or environment size or number of NPCs.
    Definitely a generation jump. We are talking 4k on consoles. If thats not next gen I don't know what is.

How do you think PC game development works. Loads of gamers are out there with all kinds of rigs and they make it work. So it should be childs play to make an Xbox Scorpio version and work downward to the Xbox One S and the base model.

I expect sales of the Scorpio to be insane anyway so they'll most likely priotise the Scorpio and work their way down to Xbox One.
    To me, that means the only difference between the One and the Scorpio will be graphics and probably faster loading time.
    Better graphics, frame rate, loading, and resolution. Most graphically intense games on Xbox One are like 900p at 30 fps so the Scorpio will be a giant leap.

The Scorpio is the first real next gen console. The others have been just a stopgap.

Better graphics, frame rate, loading, and resolution.

They've literally already said that all it's going to do is make the games 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Varik wrote: »
    Vr will seemingly work for s too (and One). they've said all games and peripherals will work across the family, so have to assume vr is included there.

Not sure about that, I think it was only the newer systems would be backward compatible with older peripherals.

The new controllers are bluetooth so they won't work on the original Xbox one.
    They will work with the original Xbox one. They have the both the Xbox wireless system and Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Definitely a generation jump. We are talking 4k on consoles. If thats not next gen I don't know what is.

How do you think PC game development works. Loads of gamers are out there with all kinds of rigs and they make it work. So it should be childs play to make an Xbox Scorpio version and work downward to the Xbox One S and the base model.

I expect sales of the Scorpio to be insane anyway so they'll most likely priotise the Scorpio and work their way down to Xbox One.

Better graphics, frame rate, loading, and resolution. Most graphically intense games on Xbox One are like 900p at 30 fps so the Scorpio will be a giant leap.

The Scorpio is the first real next gen console. The others have been just a stopgap.

That would sort of defeat the purpose of console's being friendlier than PCs though. If people can't play the same games on the two consoles and have the same experience, it's a big thing imo. Could lead to a lot of people, especially families, being annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

... Providing you have a 4K TV according to Phil Spencer.

What is unclear is what will the benefits be for people who have a standard HD TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Most recent quote from Andrew House on the Neo.

"People invest in a console and they want to have that investment validated over a decent period of time," he said. "That being said, with iterations like Neo we are, to some degree as an industry, acknowledging the pace of iteration has shifted. … People have become attuned to a slightly different cadence of innovation. The critical thing is to give the consumer options, rather than dictate the future for them."

"We've traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance," he said. "So here's a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pac1Man wrote: »

What is unclear is what will the benefits be for people who have a standard HD TV.

Well if don't have a 4K screen you can't really expect 4k resolution?

I think everyone is jumping in here and we're making assumptions without all the facts. Until we know more there is absolutely no point making wild guesses here of what Scorpio will and won't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Pac1Man wrote: »

People with HDTV will finally get consistent 1080p at 60fps that has been promised by Sony since gen 7 aka PS3. There is the benefit, forget about 4k it's not happening for console gaming for a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement