Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Pac1Man wrote: »
    ... Providing you have a 4K TV according to Phil Spencer.

What is unclear is what will the benefits be for people who have a standard HD TV.

I started playing the 360 in 2005 on a standard CRT TV, same thing. The console could do 720p/1080i but I can only see what the TV and console can do. You can only see as good as the weakest link in the chain.

When I got a HDTV a few months later and saw 720p for the first time it was just wow. Same when people jump to 4K with the PS5 and Xbox 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Backwards compatibility isn't a feature that i have used in any console i have ever owned because i just keep the original console to play stuff on.

It's utterly irrelevant to me.
    It is actually the most requested feature of both PS4 and Xbox One.

Microsoft have implemented it for free on the Xbox One but Sony haven't gone down that avenue unfortunately.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Sorry, the Neo games will look better at 1080p, than those of a normal PS4. The Scorpio comments seem to suggest the only improvement is in 4K output...again though, there's something not quite right about that so I expect that to change. They're basically saying if you don't have a 4K tv don't buy Scorpio, so it seems wrong to imagine all that power going to waste.
    Phil is just really honest. He's a breath of fresh air in Microsoft after that plonker Don Mattrick.

Phil just means that someone with a 1080p TV won't get the most out of the Scorpio. The same way a 1080p monitor wouldn't let me exploit the full resolution of my 1440p PC graphics card. Nice to see the honesty there.
    They've literally already said that all it's going to do is make the games 4k.
    Ha, there is a lot more to it than that. It takes a lot to run games at 4k and you can bet they'll be setting the bar high for frame rates also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think everyone is jumping in here and we're making assumptions without all the facts. Until we know more there is absolutely no point making wild guesses here of what Scorpio will and won't do.

Yup. Pretty much rolling my eyes here at this stage

It's still 18 months away.

This Threads gone to s**t anyway.
    Not many comments about the actual games shown.

Just another X-Box v PS Fanboy Thread

Except now it's X-Box & PC vs Sony & PC.
    Since PC will actually become X-Box's own competitor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I started playing the 360 in 2005 on a standard CRT TV, same thing. The console could do 720p/1080i but I can only see what the TV and console can do. You can only see as good as the weakest link in the chain.

When I got a HDTV a few months later and saw 720p for the first time it was just wow. Same when people jump to 4K with the PS5 and Xbox 2.0

I'd a 32 inch HD Ready Samsung about 8/9 years old. Got a great deal on an LG 4K screen about 2 months ago and I couldn't believe the difference in what I was looking at on the LG.

It was a massive improvement

That's casue all the games are re masters or sequels, there was nothing new shown at all, everything was leaked before E3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Ha, there is a lot more to it than that. It takes a lot to run games at 4k and you can bet they'll be setting the bar high for frame rates also.

No, dude, you don't seem to understand.

MS have actually confirmed that the games on Scorpio will run at the same framerate as Xbox One.

MS have actually confirmed that the games on Scorpio will run at the same framerate as Xbox One.

That was never said by anyone at MS. What was said was the same games will run on all 3 consoles but not the settings.

If what you say is true then there is no reason for Scorpio or X1S to exist.

titan18 wrote: »
    That would sort of defeat the purpose of console's being friendlier than PCs though. If people can't play the same games on the two consoles and have the same experience, it's a big thing imo. Could lead to a lot of people, especially families, being annoyed.
    The experience won't change.

Just like Battlefield on PC vs console. You aren't getting a different experience. You are simply getting lower graphical quality in that game.

An example of a different experience between platforms when the Xbox 360 and PS3 had Battlefield games the maps and player count were much smaller than the PC version.

No, dude, you don't seem to understand.

Nope, what they have confirmed is it will not go higher than 60 FPS. Most TV's are 60hz anyway.

There is no reason why a title like Tomb Raider can't become a 60 FPS title instead of a 30 FPS title.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Yup. Pretty much rolling my eyes here at this stage

It's still 18 months away.

This Threads gone to s**t anyway.
    Not many comments about the actual games shown.

Just another X-Box v PS Fanboy Thread

Except now it's X-Box & PC vs Sony & PC.
    Since PC will actually become X-Box's own competitor

I'm looking at the positives of the Scorpio and Neo, if I want to buy a PS for myself now I'll have three options
    1. Buy the Current Model New
    2. Buy the Neo when Launched
    3. Buy a Second hand PS4 when someone upgrades to the Neo.

People looking to get an Xbox in the next few months will have similar options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

The comment from Phil Spencer that if you have a 1080p TV don't get a Scorpio doesn't make sense. Surely if it can output 4K/30 fps it could easily run 1080p/60 fps and offer an advantage over the S. If they deliberately cap the fps despite all that power for 1080p to be 'fair', then they need their heads examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Sarn wrote: »
    The comment from Phil Spencer that if you have a 1080p TV don't get a Scorpio doesn't make sense. Surely if it can output 4K/30 fps it could easily run 1080p/60 fps and offer an advantage over the S. If they deliberately cap the fps despite all that power for 1080p to be 'fair', then they need their heads examined.

Once they have sold enough Xbox One S's they will change their tune.

Sarn wrote: »
    Its the same thing as a PC gamer buying a 4k rated graphics card with only a 1080p monitor. It will look great but you wont see it in all its glory until you get a 4k screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Well if don't have a 4K screen you can't really expect 4k resolution?

I never said I expected 4K from standard HDs.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I never said I expected 4K from standard HDs.

I didn't mean that to sound like a smart arse :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Folks can we request moving the Neo / Scorpio discussions to the threads in the Xbox and PS4 forums? There's plenty more going on at E3 besides and the conversation about the vague new hardware is perhaps best served in the format forums where indeed these things have been being discussed for quite a while.

Thanking y'all :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057577305

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057176539

Mod note: Folks can we request moving the Neo / Scorpio discussions to the threads in the Xbox and PS4 forums? There's plenty more going on at E3 besides and the conversation about the vague new hardware is perhaps best served in the format forums where indeed these things have been being discussed for quite a while.

Thanking y'all :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057577305

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057176539

Well, I agree with the PS Neo because it wasn't announced at E3 but the Scorpio is a massive E3 announcement news and is trending online big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its the same thing as a PC gamer buying a 4k rated graphics card with only a 1080p monitor. It will look great but you wont see it in all its glory until you get a 4k screen.

But you will be able to run games completely maxxed out graphics wise and at very high frame rates which is very noticeable and does offer some value.

Venom wrote: »
    But you will be able to run games completely maxxed out graphics wise and at very high frame rates which is very noticeable and does offer some value.
    Absolutely but you just don't the full quality. For instance, in my case I built a PC targeting 1440p resolution but I was stuck with a 1080p monitor for a few weeks until my new monitor arrived. Yes the graphics and frame rate were impressive but once my 1440p monitor arrived the difference was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Have to agree with failsafes post above.

Scorpio was announced at e3 so i dont see the issue with discussing it here.

The neo on the other hand wasn't announced or shown so that should be moved to its own thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Absolutely but you just don't the full quality. For instance, in my case I built a PC targeting 1440p resolution but I was stuck with a 1080p monitor for a few weeks until my new monitor arrived. Yes the graphics and frame rate were impressive but once my 1440p monitor arrived the difference was amazing.

It's like your GPU being able to handle 1440p no bother, but if you used a 1080p screen the GPU decided to go back to GTX 750 mode and doesn't run at full capacity. It's not as clear cut as being able to handle 4k = kicks ass at 1080p

*Edit* Sorry Johnny, would a Gaming General thread for general discussion of both make more or less sense?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

dunworth1 wrote: »

Scorpio was announced at e3 so i dont see the issue with discussing it here.

The neo on the other hand wasn't announced or shown so that should be moved to its own thread

No issue with discussing it here over the last few days, a few posters have just complained the thread is getting dragged down by all the tech speculation which to be fair is a lot of back and forth at the moment. Again, we have dedicated forums for hardware discussion where the conversation can continue unimpeded :)

If Scorpio is what the majority want to keep discussing, fair enough, but just bear in mind there's plenty of other stuff happening at E3 too and we have other dedicated forums where hardware discussion is the order of the day :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Should we not separate the games discussion to one thread and the Scorpio Neo stuff to another? Putting it in the PlayStation or Xbox forum will just stifle discussion and so far there's not been too much fanboyism.

I really liked the God of War footage.

Its like Ryse on the Xbox. I love a good button masher. Should be very good.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Should we not separate the games discussion to one thread and the Scorpio Neo stuff to another? Putting it in the PlayStation or Xbox forum will just stifle discussion and so far there's not been too much fanboyism.

A fair compromise, and it is done - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057610336

Carry on with Neo discussion here, but reminder than console war guff will be met with Ye olde arse kicking :)

A fair compromise, and it is done -

Are we still allowed to talk about games in this thread?

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Are we still allowed to talk about games in this thread?

Let this thread flow however it will, but there's now a nice clean thread for anybody who wants to generally chat about games without hardware chat getting in the way ;)

Lawbreakers looks like a fun enough game.

The batman vr trailer is terrible zero gameplay or even a hint of the style.

Other than a suggestion that it'll be like wearing batmans mask I don't know what to make of it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read on 2 sites that their highlight of E3 was testing the Batman VR. Imagining Batman Arkham City in first person and then in VR, it could be a really cool game.

Mafia 3 is getting a huge push at E3, haven't watched many videos from their event as it's all a bit generic but must give it another look. Watchdogs 2 is a bit under the radar which isn't a bad thing.

Gwent the Game is looking class as well. Must go through the videos taken from the different booths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I read on 2 sites that their highlight of E3 was testing the Batman VR. Imagining Batman Arkham City in first person and then in VR, it could be a really cool game.

Mafia 3 is getting a huge push at E3, haven't watched many videos from their event as it's all a bit generic but must give it another look. Watchdogs 2 is a bit under the radar which isn't a bad thing.

Gwent the Game is looking class as well. Must go through the videos taken from the different booths.

You mean camera footage from other folks playing it? Any of Gone Days,really like the look of that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement