Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

jcd5971 wrote: »
    They don't appear to be overly worried, I'd just hope they don't announce a spec jump now as well to match Scorpio because that would be lies too.

I'm going to keep saying this is bull ****, right up until I see it live with my own 2 eyes, it makes no sense there is no way this thing could be done for.cheaper than 700 800 euro at best, and then it's even with a gaming Pc when the newest card comes out you just slot it in. How would that work on Scorpio/neo whatever.

Also Microsoft have done this before anyone rember the kinect launch announcement? Big promises never delivered

This should be seen for what it is a 4k upscaler.
    No one is saying it can be done cheaper. We don't know the price.

Although interestingly enough graphics cards are currently moving up a gen and from AMD we are seeing significant price drops and greatly improved performance.

Don Mattrick was running the Xbox for the inception and launch of Xbox One. Phil Spencer brought the Xbox One back into terrific shape after a poor launch. when he took over one of the areas he focused on was delivering on backwards compatibility. Which is the most requested feature for both PS4 and Xbox One. Xbox gave it away for free whereas the competition want to charge for renting games from previous gens.

Its a native 4K gaming device. Its not a 4k upscaler. The Xbox One S is the 4K upscaler.

The XBox 1, can barely manage 1080/30 so I dont see how you've so much faith in Scorpio providing 4K/30 with only vague specs announced.
    Isn't that really their motivation for wanting to finally deliver on a true next gen gaming experience.

I think we can all agree that both PS4 and Xbox One were a very under powered console generation jump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OK can we stop calling people fanboys.

Also on a similar note FAILSAFE, having a signature with project scorpio and ignoring the well researched analysis from Digital Foundry who would be considered experts in this field is not helping your case here.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Based on current tech. AMD will launching a new line of GPU architecture in 2017 called Vega. Which will be another leap forward. This is most likely what the Scorpio will be based on.

And they've already proven that they're perfectly willing to release a console that struggles to deliver 1080p60 gameplay.
    The PS4 also struggles to deliver 1080p 60FPS gameplay. Uncharted 4 is 30 FPS, Battlefield 4 is 900p and 60 FPS on PS4 so its more correct to say both the Xbox One and PS4 struggle to deliver 1080p at 60 fps.

Not to be a knob, but you're coming off as a mindless fanboy.
    Can you not simply engage in a conversion and use interesting points to improve your posts instead of pulling out the mindless FB card.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    OK can we stop calling people fanboys.

Also on a similar note FAILSAFE, having a signature with project scorpio and ignoring the well researched analysis from Digital Foundry who would be considered experts in this field is not helping your case here.

I am not ignoring anything.

I am a big supporter of Richard at Digital Foundry however they cannot analyse tech that that has not been released yet. They can only test what has been released.

I look forward to their analysis on Scorpio when they can actually test it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I still find it incredible the Xbox ONE S is going to be the cheapest UHD Blu-Ray disc player on the market! :eek:

The PS4 also struggles to deliver 1080p 60FPS gameplay. Uncharted 4 is 30 FPS, Battlefield 4 is 900p and 60 FPS on PS4 so its more correct to say both the Xbox One and PS4 struggle to deliver 1080p at 60 fps.
    Agree on this, they were both underpowered.

I am not ignoring anything.

I am a big supporter of Richard at Digital Foundry however they cannot analyse tech that that has not been released yet. They can only test what has been released.

I look forward to their analysis on Scorpio when they can actually test it.
    Pot...kettle...black.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Based on current tech. AMD will launching a new line of GPU architecture in 2017 called Vega. Which will be another leap forward. This is most likely what the Scorpio will be based on.

Even if the Scorpio is based on Vega and the tech is as good as is claimed which given AMD's past PR stunts is not a certainty, the cost of the console is going to be the better part of €1000 euro and offer nothing more than 4k@30 fps over existing Xbox1 games. I just can't see many people buying this new device even if they have a 4K TV considering how important the cost of a console is when compared to its rivals.

Pot...kettle...black.

Microsoft have said its a native 4k gaming machine so we know thats what the finished product will be. Their promo video right out of the gate says native 4K gaming. They will work with their partners AMD to come up with hardware to do so.

Xbox division has never came out and stated that the Xbox One would be native 1080p and 60 fps console. That came initially from Sony when the PS4 launched but died down a bit when it became less possible as games got more demanding and both consoles began to use dynamic resolution scaling to maintain consistent frame rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Microsoft have said its a native 4k gaming machine so we know thats what the finished product will be.

The same as the One was going to be always online and the Kinect was an integral part of it?

C'mon guy, MS have been a disaster since the first time they mentioned the One.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Even if the Scorpio is based on Vega and the tech is as good as is claimed which given AMD's past PR stunts is not a certainty, the cost of the console is going to be the better part of €1000 euro and offer nothing more than 4k@30 fps over existing Xbox1 games. I just can't see many people buying this new device even if they have a 4K TV considering how important the cost of a console is when compared to its rivals.
    We don't know what it will cost.

Remember Microsoft isn't buying AMD hardware at consumer prices. We can easily price a 4K PC and say Microsoft will have to charge over €1,000 but if we price the same PC at trade prices it would come well under that.

AMD most likely are working with Microsoft to make something unique for the Scorpio. I actually think at some stage Microsoft might purchase AMD.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The same as the One was going to be always online and the Kinect was an integral part of it?

C'mon guy, MS have been a disaster since the first time they mentioned the One.
    Indeed. That goes back to Don Mattricks Xbox division.

This division is now run by Phil Spencer and I think most people can say he delivers on his promises as we have all seen on Xbox One since he took over.

The change on Xbox One since Phil took over has been radical. Ask anyone here or in the Xbox forum who has owned an Xbox One since day 1 back in 2013.

Can you support your claim that the Xbox One has been a disaster since launch? I bet you cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

We don't know what it will cost.

Remember Microsoft isn't buying AMD hardware at consumer prices. We can easily price a 4K PC and say Microsoft will have to charge over €1,000 but if we price the same PC at trade prices it would come well under that.

AMD most likely are working with Microsoft to make something unique for the Scorpio. I actually think at some stage Microsoft might purchase AMD.

Phil Spencer mention the Scorpio would be a Premium device and once any piece of tech is referred to as premium you know it will be expensive.

AMD is not in a strong enough position financially to spend the kind of resources needed to be able to work with MS on just the Scorpio. Whatever GPU is going in that console will just be a cut down version of there new card, if it is in fact based on there new card.

Phil Spencer mention the Scorpio would be a Premium device and once any piece of tech is referred to as premium you know it will be expensive.

Agreed. We all know it will be expensive. Its a 4K gaming console so no one is expecting it to be cheap.
    AMD is not in a strong enough position financially to spend the kind of resources needed to be able to work with MS on just the Scorpio. Whatever GPU is going in that console will just be a cut down version of there new card, if it is in fact based on there new card.
    You don't know if thats the case. How much would it take for them to be able to work with Microsoft?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

AMD has less than half of Nvidia's marketshare in gaming GPUs, and is severely outclassed in CPU marketshare by Intel.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/press-release-2016apr21.aspx

They're also still losing money.

Can you support your claim that the Xbox One has been a disaster since launch? I bet you cannot.

Awful sales figures and desperate scrambling to give people any reason to buy a One aren't enough reason for you?

You do realize that MS are more than likely using to Scorpio as a last gasp attempt at capturing the console market before they pull out of it entirely? Head office have been keeping a very close eye on the division according to insiders.

This forum is about the only place that isn't treating the whole thing as an embarrassing laughing stock. A guy in their mic-drop E3 video said "the highest quality pixels anybody has seen" without a hint of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

A guy in their mic-drop E3 video said "the highest quality pixels anybody has seen" without a hint of irony.

Im imagining Trump saying it "I know pixels,and we have the best pixels..."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Head office have been keeping a very close eye on the division according to insiders.

The head office just bought LinkedIn for no good reason that anyone in the industry can understand.

wes wrote: »
    The head office just bought LinkedIn for no good reason that anyone in the industry can understand.

26 billion for a website that makes no money is a bit of a puzzler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

26 billion for a website that makes no money is a bit of a puzzler.

Making $3 billion in 2015 is no money to you? :eek:

I can't see how LinkedIn has anything to do with E3 tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

You do realize that MS are more than likely using to Scorpio as a last gasp attempt at capturing the console market before they pull out of it entirely? Head office have been keeping a very close eye on the division according to insiders.

lol.

top tier reporting right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Awful sales figures and desperate scrambling to give people any reason to buy a One aren't enough reason for you?

This forum is about the only place that isn't treating the whole thing as an embarrassing laughing stock. A guy in their mic-drop E3 video said "the highest quality pixels anybody has seen" without a hint of irony.

One sales haven't been great of course compared to PS4, but I doubt Scorpio is a last gasp attempt. They're clearly in it for the long haul.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Microsoft have said its a native 4k gaming machine so we know thats what the finished product will be. Their promo video right out of the gate says native 4K gaming. They will work with their partners AMD to come up with hardware to do so.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 were native 1080p machines that promised 1080p gaming. How many triple A games hit that target?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    One sales haven't been great of course compared to PS4, but I doubt Scorpio is a last gasp attempt. They're clearly in it for the long haul.

If anything its a statement of intent that they're trying to blur the lines between PC and console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Xbox 360 and PS3 were native 1080p machines that promised 1080p gaming. How many triple A games hit that target?

So was the Xbox One and PS4, but they can't hit 1080p 60fps. :pac:

As I mentioned previously, the Hank Scorpio and PS4.5 will probably hit 4K, but not a hope of 60fps as well. They might make players decide between 4K and 30fps, and 1440p and 60 fps with options placed in some games.

No, no they aren't. It will be a version of a currently existing piece of tech, possibly with EDRAM to match the Xbox One hardware configuration. They won't be making something unique because it costs too much money and it makes more sense to stick a working design that is proven on X86000 tech into a x86000 based machine, just like they did with the One and PS4. Also this won't be based on top of the line hardware.

Top of the line cards are normally sold at a pretty significant loss with the consumer level cards making money. The 1080 is being sold at a loss by NVidia with the 1070 being the card that makes money. Even then the 1070 is a significant piece of kit that costs about as much as a brand new console on its own. There's no way to fit something like that into a consumer console and not charge 800+ for it. It will target a lower than consumer level card just like the PS4 and One but make up for it since it's a closed system and easier to optimise for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

@Stone Deaf Yeah, it's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Actually its based on new tech from AMD that won't release until next year.

I assume your talking about the new 14nm chipset polaris?.

If so 3dcenter have spotted shipment leaks pointing at a price ranging from 1400-1700.

There is a cheaper budget polaris for 140 price but is less impressive on stats, but I'm under the impression this is for laptops and cheaper pc's(open to correction).

Again I'm not saying that it's technologically unachievable in a console just it's cost prohibitive

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I can't see how LinkedIn has anything to do with E3 tho.

You brought up MS head office, and I taught it prudent to point out, that they don't seem to have a clue what there doing themselves.

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »
    So was the Xbox One and PS4, but they can't hit 1080p 60fps. :pac:

As I mentioned previously, the Hank Scorpio and PS4.5 will probably hit 4K, but not a hope of 60fps as well. They might make players decide between 4K and 30fps, and 1440p and 60 fps with options placed in some games.

I honestly would be ok with 1440p at 60fps. Throw in some up scaling for 4K TVs, and I am sure it would look great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement