Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kyle Bosman from Easy Allies nails my feelings about the E3 announcements.
    Microsoft = again with the confusing PR
    Sony = Simple strategy; sell games.

I was definitely worried about Sony's conference in that with the big push to VR, we'd be subjected to people in headsets standing on the stage for half of it pretending to have natural, definitely-not-rehearsed-several-times FUN!

Instead, with the exception of the start with the orchestra (which in fairness was necessary to show how the orchestra would be playing live throughout the whole thing), their conference was just games, games, games. Even the VR section was kept pretty short and just focused on showing off the games themselves. Hell even Kojima was just "Hello. Here's my new game. Bye!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Grayditch wrote: »
    If Sea Of Thieves turns out to be great, it could influenced me to pick one up. A multiplayer pirate game made by Rare is right up my street, but I'm still amazed at how exclusives aren't a major thing for Xbox.

When I think of how it was their main focus with the Xbox and the 360 ( as well as defining online console gaming), MS really was in a league of it's own until about 2011. Exclusives dried up.

agreed sea of thieves looks like a lot of fun.

i don't get this exclusives dried up thing?

there may not be as many exclusives on the xbox as on the ps4
    but its quality over quantity.

thing like Quantum Break,Ryse: Son of Rome,Halo 5,State of Decay,Sunset Overdrive and Forza are all top quality games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn, Resogun, The Witness. I'd have sold my Xbox One by now if those were passing me by, is all I'm saying.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn, Resogun, The Witness. I'd have sold my Xbox One by now if those were passing me by, is all I'm saying.

i have a ps4 the only one of those Ive played is uncharted 4 ( got it day one) i really enjoyed it. the others haven't really interested me i keep meaning to pick up until dawn but I'm not in any real hurry

i haven't even heard of the witness did a quick google looks like minecraft with puzzles.

with two new updated consoles coming out i'm not even sure anymore if its worth playing on a console anymore with the way its going there will be an upgrade every 2 or 3 years.
    if i was to upgrade both that'd be about a grand every couple of years
    where as i continue to use my pc and just upgrade bits when required
    pretty sire that will work out cheaper then a grand every 2 or 3 years.

the only thing which was keeping me on consoles was friends but most now also have a pc these days.

with these upgrades Sony and ms are shooting themselves in the foot Sony more so as ms have guessed and started porting games to the pc also.

with price of next gen gpus really cheap i can really see a lot more people just switching to pc in the coming years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i haven't even heard of the witness did a quick google looks like minecraft with puzzles.

Let me assure you in the strongest possible terms: it is not Minecraft with puzzles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The Witness is easily one of the best games of the year and you can get it on PC too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tok9 wrote: »
    The Witness is easily one of the best games of the year and you can get it on PC too.

It is level with Stephen's Sausage Roll for my GOTY, easily.

2016: The Year of Obtuse, Bastard Hard But Intellectually Stimulating Puzzle Games Set on Mysterious Islands (And Whatever The Last Guardian Ends Up Being Too, Probably)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the Witness was disappointing. Stephen's sausage roll on the other hand hates me despite me wanting to love it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

i have a ps4....

Badly shopped Pictures of the X-Box Scorpio "burning" the Playstation Logo really make me take your points seriously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Cormac... wrote: »
    Badly shopped Pictures of the X-Box Scorpio "burning" the Playstation Logo really make me take your points seriously :rolleyes:

http://psnprofiles.com/dunworth1

Actually he does :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Have a Playstation? I never said he didn't. I just don't bother quoting whole paragraphs of text unnecessarily.

Needlessly antagonistic signatures like that reduce the validity of any points one tries to make in my opinion

It's actually hank scorpio who is burning the logo.

Thanks for noticing it's simply a ploy to show both are a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

tok9 wrote: »

It's very much love it or hate it, though. For me, I can't see how anyone can enjoy it. I thought it mind-numbingly boring and repetitive. How can anyone enjoy doing hundreds of variations of line puzzles?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zillah wrote: »
    It's very much love it or hate it, though. For me, I can't see how anyone can enjoy it. I thought it mind-numbingly boring and repetitive. How can anyone enjoy doing hundreds of variations of line puzzles?

For GOTY it's no Doom :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

i have a ps4 the only one of those Ive played is uncharted 4 ( got it day one) i really enjoyed it. the others haven't really interested me i keep meaning to pick up until dawn but I'm not in any real hurry

with two new updated consoles coming out i'm not even sure anymore if its worth playing on a console anymore with the way its going there will be an upgrade every 2 or 3 years.
    if i was to upgrade both that'd be about a grand every couple of years
    where as i continue to use my pc and just upgrade bits when required
    pretty sire that will work out cheaper then a grand every 2 or 3 years.

the only thing which was keeping me on consoles was friends but most now also have a pc these days.

with these upgrades Sony and ms are shooting themselves in the foot Sony more so as ms have guessed and started porting games to the pc also.

with price of next gen gpus really cheap i can really see a lot more people just switching to pc in the coming years

Bloodborne is simply sublime.
    As someone who loves games it is something you can't miss, it is that good.

And Sony persists in bringing great exclusives to the table too.
    It's like the good old days of the PS2 again.

And, just to say, if it wasn't for the PS4 and Sony, MS would be charging you a licence to buy preowned games, amongst other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

:confused:

Surely it's MS that are doing more damage to their console brand by having all their xbox games available on PC as well. At least Sony will have exclusives that will not be available anywhere else.

You're giving Sony too much credit there. Sony aren't some shining knights in armour. They also had plans to implement the same system as MS. They were just clever enough to anticipate the negative reaction and throw Microsoft under the bus by abandoning the idea and make it out that they were some sort of consumer rights white knights (spoiler: they aren't just like every other big business corporation). Then they used the opportunity of everyone focusing their vitriol on Microsoft to sneak in their own anti consumer practice, charging for online play.

As for Sony providing lots of exclusives to their consoles, they do have some good internal studios but they don't pump out that many games. Sony has relied on being the only show in town with the PS1 and PS2 and with the PS3 it was more being the only show in japan with the PS3. It's definitely not like the good old PS2, they can't rely on third parties without money hatting them for exclusivity. As a PC owner, the PS4 is one of the worst consoles I've owned and even something like the Gamecube at this stage in its life was seeing far more play time and exclusive games.

Zillah wrote: »
    How can anyone enjoy doing hundreds of variations of line puzzles?

Because those hundreds of variations are brilliant, surprising, vexing, engrossing and all subtly help feed into the game's tricky but rich thematic scope.

But hey, it's great that we can all make up our own minds on a game that undoubtedly makes no apologies about being exactly what it is, for better or worse (or both) depending on the player :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I'm really enjoying my PS4, not so much my XB1 and that's where I am.
    As for follow ups, the Neo and Scorpio mean little right now, until I see what they can offer in terms of improving on playing he current crop of titles for their respective console families.
    I think you're being a little mean about Sony's contribution to the current state of play, no pun intended, and the strides they've made with their online experience and value represented by PS+ makes it a great choice.
    Xbox Gold just hasn't delivered the same type of value and I'm still not liking the XB1 front-end, but then that's entirely subjective

:confused:

Surely it's MS that are doing more damage to their console brand by having all their xbox games available on PC as well. At least Sony will have exclusives that will not be available anywhere else.
    Very, very, few exclusives.

The biggest exclusive in years 'No Mans Sky' is also releasing on PC.
    previously known as 'No Mans Skybox' until Sky sued them :D

With the cost of game development rising we are going to see less and less console exclusives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The biggest exclusive in years 'No Mans Sky' is also releasing on PC.
    previously known as 'No Mans Skybox' until Sky sued them :D

With the cost of game development rising we are going to see less and less console exclusives.

In a year when Sony is releasing Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian and GT Sport, calling No Man's Sky its 'biggest exclusive in years' seems disingenuous.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think you're being a little mean about Sony's contribution to the current state of play, no pun intended, and the strides they've made with their online experience and value represented by PS+ makes it a great choice.
    Xbox Gold just hasn't delivered the same type of value and I'm still not liking the XB1 front-end, but then that's entirely subjective
    There is without a doubt far better value found in Games with Gold. 2 Xbox One titles a month and 2 Xbox 360 titles a month.

All 4 games are playable on Xbox One thanks to free backward compatibility.

The value is unmatched by the competition at the moment. Subjectively I can say the titles in the last year have also been superior on Games with Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There is without a doubt far better value found in Games with Gold. 2 Xbox One titles a month and 2 Xbox 360 titles a month.

All 4 games are playable on Xbox One thanks to free backward compatibility.

The value is unmatched by the competition at the moment. Subjectively I can say the titles in the last year have also been superior on Games with Gold.

Steam Sales start tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Talk of consoles having what exclusives is probably pointless, to be honest.

"XYZ has these exclusives"
    "None of those interest me"

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Steam Sales start tomorrow.
    Thanks. I knew it was coming soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_%28eighth_generation%29#PlayStation_4

60 true exclusives for PS4, 13 for Xbox One.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What I find hilarious: Cost of one of these current consoles + cost of their "improved" versions = the cost of a monstrous gaming PC which will MASSIVELY outperform either variant of these consoles in every single test you can throw at it for 4+ years without need for any sort of upgrade.

But by all means, keep talking about how you're definitely going to have 1080/60 in 2 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Shiminay wrote: »
    What I find hilarious: Cost of one of these current consoles + cost of their "improved" versions = the cost of a monstrous gaming PC which will MASSIVELY outperform either variant of these consoles in every single test you can throw at it for 4+ years without need for any sort of upgrade.

But by all means, keep talking about how you're definitely going to have 1080/60 in 2 years :D

A €600 PC can beat the Neo. Buy 5 games for the Neo and 5 in tomorrow's Steam Sale and the PC is already cheaper despite a €200 hardware deficit.

Unfortunately you didn't do your homework on this one. The page you quoted is counting titles that are still in production and don't even have a release date as well as titles that have a launch date in the future.

13 of the 60 haven't even specified launch dates because they are in production so that could be 2017 onwards.

Another 22 of the 60 games haven't even been released yet but at least specify the year of their release.

So thats 35 of your exclusives that do not even count.

Imo it is always best to focus on quality over quanity. the PS4 has great exclusives I can count on one hand. The Xbox on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shiminay wrote: »

Which is all well and good except for the fact that there are downsides to having a PC that aren't present on consoles, which means that while the cost of PC (when taking into account ability to upgrade and cheaper games) is better, it still comes down to personal preference and which advantages are most important to you, the individual, rather than simply 'a gamer'.

For what it's worth, I built my own PC a few years ago for about €800 and played a few different games on it. I'd take my PS4 over it any day of the week. I now mostly use my PC as a PC/media player.

Also, you're counting cost of launch console plus upgrade. The upgrade version is completely optional rather than an included cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement