Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - June 12th to 14th

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Couldn't we see the XB1 vs PS4 comments moved to a separate thread, and then close that thread?
    Because, I'm bored as f*&k with the backwards and forwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The way PC gaming and interface has come along in recent years I feel that consoles are far less user friendly. Consoles also aren't free of upgrade over costs. A 500 GB or even 1TB hard disk is woefully inefficient for today's gaming needs and there's VR now on the way as well as different console SKUs. But then PC gamers always forget to add the cost of Windows when they talk about PC builds (although these days you can get it for 20 euro from a key reseller).

Gaming to me is really heading towards a place that only an open platform can really allow evolve. From mods, streaming, VR and even the fact that it's now easier than ever to make and publish your own world, the closed off systems seem archaic and artificial. The threat of piracy is keeping them locked up but maybe that will change once they inevitably go full digital.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Couldn't we see the XB1 vs PS4 comments moved to a separate thread, and then close that thread?

The thread was kept open to contain it, there's a separate games thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    ...Because I am bored do X and Y. Lets think of more than just ourselves.

E3 is always a great time of year to take stock of what game platforms have to offer us. Often it leads to good discussions about how each platform can improve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I play the games I want on PC.
    I play the games I want on consoles.
    I lose little sleep over what formats other people are playing the games they want to on.
    I do oft dream of a world where people were not so emotive about pieces of consumer hardware manufactured by multi national corporations, and instead focused their energies on celebrating the artists who utilise the hardware to bewitch us all. But they are but dreams - intangible, deceptive and transient.
    I awake and continue rolling sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I lose little sleep over what formats other people are playing the games they want to on.
    I do oft dream of a world where people were not to emotive about pieces of consumer hardware manufactured by multi national corporations. But they are but dreams - intangible, deceptive and transient.
    Me too.

Except rolling Sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think I'll ride out the hardware war by continuing to use my early PS4 and make my first jump to a PC in the next year.

These revisions/updates would make me very wary of purchasing console hardware. What will they release a couple of years later?

It's an interesting time all the same! Keenly waiting on Nintendo's next move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

...Because I am bored do X and Y. Lets think of more than just ourselves.

E3 is always a great time of year to take stock of what game platforms have to offer us. Often it leads to good discussions about how each platform can improve.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I do oft dream of a world where people were not so emotive about pieces of consumer hardware manufactured by multi national corporations, and instead focused their energies on celebrating the artists who utilise the hardware to bewitch us all. But they are but dreams - intangible, deceptive and transient.

Martin Luther King, Jr would be very proud! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Martin Luther King, Jr would be very proud! :pac:

Nah. He was the biggest fanboy going back then. Only interested in one thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I just can't decide between a PC or a PS4. If only people were more vocal about which is the better option. I sure is confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I just can't decide between a PC or a PS4. If only people were more vocal about which is the better option. I sure is confused.

try youtube, the comments sections on pc vs console videos are full of what you're looking for :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Penn wrote: »
    Which is all well and good except for the fact that there are downsides to having a PC that aren't present on consoles, which means that while the cost of PC (when taking into account ability to upgrade and cheaper games) is better, it still comes down to personal preference and which advantages are most important to you, the individual, rather than simply 'a gamer'.

Please, explain what possible downsides there are to a machine that has more functionality?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Choose wisely, because the decision will become your defining characteristic.

Forget your career, your family, your romances, your friends, your passions, your dislikes, your sense of self - once you slap down a couple of quid on gaming hardware, nothing will ever be the same.

I knew this guy once. He was young, full of life, with a promising career in academia ahead of him. He bought a PS4, and now he spends 18 hours a day on the Official PlayStation forum calling out anybody and everybody who didn't like The Order 1886, a game I suspect he hasn't even played.

I can't look him in the eye anymore. It's too difficult. He doesn't even like Super Mario Galaxy, the monster.

try youtube, the comments sections on pc vs console videos are full of what you're looking for :P

Great, thanks.

I've also been directed to the comments section of a website called IGN. For an academic approach, so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Great, thanks.

I've also been directed to the comments section of a website called IGN. For an academic approach, so I'm told.

lmao :D

I thought everyone liked Super Mario Galaxy?
    There's people who don't?
    What is this madness??

Choose wisely, because the decision will become your defining characteristic.

Forget your career, your family, your romances, your friends, your passions, your dislikes, your sense of self - once you slap down a couple of quid on gaming hardware, nothing will ever be the same.

I knew this guy once. He was young, full of life, with a promising career in academia ahead of him. He bought a PS4, and now he spends 18 hours a day on the Official PlayStation forum calling out anybody and everybody who didn't like The Order 1886, a game I suspect he hasn't even played.

I can't look him in the eye anymore. It's too difficult. He doesn't even like Super Mario Galaxy, the monster.

Yeah I'll be sure to put in the research. I don't want to be caught with something that only does 720 per second frames.

By the way Johnny, have you read You Died: The Dark Souls Companion? The table of contents looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭Penn

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Please, explain what possible downsides there are to a machine that has more functionality?

I posted this before, and still stand by it now:
    Convenience. The amount of work which goes in to setting up a gaming build, changing settings, making sure games can run on your machine, installing games, installing drivers, updating parts of your build...

Buy console. Play games. Simple. All the games are built to be played on every version of that console. All the games are designed to be controlled by the exact same controller. The UI is designed to be as simple as possible for the express purpose of the console.

You buy a game, you know it'll work on your console and that you'll be playing it within minutes of putting it in. And for multiplayer, you know everyone is playing from the same level, as there's far less hacking/modding, as well as the difference in KB/M vs controller.

I don't care about graphics being turned up to insane levels. I don't care about user mods which mean I can play as Iron Man in GTA. I don't care about Teamspeak etc.

I know that with a console, I can put in a game, play it, and enjoy it how it was meant to be played (as most games are designed for consoles these days). I'm perfectly happy with that. I don't need the bonuses PC gaming gives, because I find most of them frivolous anyway, and there are a lot more things that can go wrong with a PC build than a console.

I'd also add that more functionality, also means more chance of things going wrong.

As I mentioned, I built my own PC. Wasn't an amazing spec I threw into it or anything, but would do the job. Now, if I wanted to upgrade stuff, I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't know if I upgraded one part if it would be compatible with everything else. It may be compatible, but then will it be bottlenecked by existing parts. I can't even remember the full specs of what parts I used. So if I wanted to upgrade, I'd have to find out what parts to upgrade, check their compatibility, probably check on forums like here and elsewhere, sift through all the different "You'd be better off doing XYZ", order the parts, install the parts, hope I did it correctly and didn't f*ck anything up, test everything... and by then what do I have?

Better graphics. Whoop-de-do.

Most of the games I like are console-only, or come out on console first. I don't like using keyboard & mouse (which if I played any game online on PC, would put me at a serious disadvantage). I don't need mods or improved textures, graphics etc.

Extra-functionality is wasted on those, like me, who neither want nor need it. I have a PC for PC things. I have a console for games.

A "console war" is a fallacy and an attempt to generate drama and conflict where none exists.
    The only competition is between the manufacturers in terms of market share and profits.
    The games should speak for themselves and make any console on the market have a reason to be owned, be it Resogun on the PS4, Wipeout on the PS Vita, Kirby Triple Deluxe on the 3DS, Xenoblade Chronicles X on the WiiU or, for me, Elite Dangerous on the XboxOne.
    All good enough reasons to own the various formats.
    Neo and Scorpio don't become relevant as they are both tailored to enhance the existing PS4 and XB1 experience, nothing more.

• Advertisement

By the way Johnny, have you read You Died: The Dark Souls Companion? The table of contents looks great.

I have not, but do intend to give it a look at some point in the near to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Most of the games I like are console-only, or come out on console first. I don't like using keyboard & mouse (which if I played any game online on PC, would put me at a serious disadvantage).

You mustn't like too many games then

On the off chance you wanted to upgrade the PC, install Speccy, take a screenshot of it and show it to someone who knows hardware. If you're not interested in PCs you don't need to be knowledgeable to build/upgrade them, just willing to ask for help, which does make the compatibility argument null.

Each to their own of course, I'm not telling you you're right or wrong. Unless you think the XOne is top atm :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You mustn't like too many games then

Ha, probably true enough. The only game in recent years that was PC exclusive and made me think "I really wish I could play that" was Surgeon Simulator, and it ended up coming out on PS4 anyway.

But that's the thing, that's what it all boils down to. Console v PC, PS4 v XB1, PS exclusives v XB exclusives... it's all entirely subjective and depends on the individual. It's why I hate "You could build a PC for that..." comments. I know. The majority of people that type of comment is being aimed at is entirely aware of that. But when each option has advantages and disadvantages, it's up to the individual to choose, and just because they choose something different doesn't mean it's wrong. It's right for them based on their preferences and circumstances.

Even if I had a monster PC, I still would have bought a console by now for the likes The Last Of Us, or Uncharted, or getting GTAV over 15 months before PC. Console games are where my interests lie more than PC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Ha, probably true enough. The only game in recent years that was PC exclusive and made me think "I really wish I could play that" was Surgeon Simulator, and it ended up coming out on PS4 anyway.

:pac:

It was Arma 2/3 for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Penn wrote:

It will forever be AOE for me

God I wasted so many childhood hours playing totally worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yeah, I find most pc games I want make their way on to a console eventually. It's where the money is.
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    :pac:

It was Arma 2/3 for me :)

Actually talking about those today, horrible engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I posted this before, and still stand by it now:

I'd also add that more functionality, also means more chance of things going wrong.

As I mentioned, I built my own PC. Wasn't an amazing spec I threw into it or anything, but would do the job. Now, if I wanted to upgrade stuff, I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't know if I upgraded one part if it would be compatible with everything else. It may be compatible, but then will it be bottlenecked by existing parts. I can't even remember the full specs of what parts I used. So if I wanted to upgrade, I'd have to find out what parts to upgrade, check their compatibility, probably check on forums like here and elsewhere, sift through all the different "You'd be better off doing XYZ", order the parts, install the parts, hope I did it correctly and didn't f*ck anything up, test everything... and by then what do I have?

Most of the games I like are console-only, or come out on console first. I don't like using keyboard & mouse (which if I played any game online on PC, would put me at a serious disadvantage). I don't need mods or improved textures, graphics etc.

Extra-functionality is wasted on those, like me, who neither want nor need it. I have a PC for PC things. I have a console for games.

I built a PC. It's mid/high-end.

Whenever I want to play a game, I simply:
    1. Open Steam/GOG
    2. Buy the game I want
    3. Open Nvidia Geforce Experience
    4. Click "Set optimal settings"
    5. Play
    6. If I don't like the game/how it runs, I can return it under Steam for a full refund

I only expect to upgrade the graphics card once in the next 2-4 years (if I get a higher resolution screen).

That's it.
    Where's the complications?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I actually don't like Geforce Experience's settings. It thinks v-sync, motion blur, depth of field and framerate caps are 'better' settings. I always prefer to set my own settings which takes about 1 minute. Rougly the net extra load time a console game has to startup and begin the game anyway.

I think better graphics are the least important thing about PC gaming. I dropped consoles because I noticed them sacraficing so much performance for the sake of trying to win a graphics war they'll always lose.

Anyway I know it's an old post but if you can quote it for use so can I :D
    Buy console. Play games. Simple.

+ Make account. Add credit card. Renew subscription. Put disc in/Download. Install game. Update game.

Consoles aren't nearly as simple as they used to be.
    You buy a game, you know it'll work on your console and that you'll be playing it within minutes of putting it in.

Again, unless there's a system update, game update or game install... which there almost always is.
    And for multiplayer, you know everyone is playing from the same level

A friend of mine plays first person shooter games on PS4 with keyboard and mouse. There's tools available for that. Some people play fighting games with arcade sticks and custom controllers. Some people have better TVs with less input lag. You're not on as level a playing field as you'd like to believe.

And in the end, outside of FPS games (and genres that can't even work on consoles because of their limited inputs), your skill will win out above any tech. Same on all platforms.
    I don't care about user mods which mean I can play as Iron Man in GTA.

I can tell your entire exposure to mods is via youtube.

Most mods can't even be experienced from just watching them. Entire overhauls and balancing mods. Survival modes and difficulty mods. I installed a mod for Insurgency that makes gunshot sounds come through the in-game mics of other players using their radios: An amazing thing to experience when you're communicating in a firefight. You hear one loud bang through the radio and realise you've got another friendly down. Not the kind of thing you can really appreciate on youtube.
    I know that with a console, I can put in a game, play it, and enjoy it how it was meant to be played

That's pretty innacurate to say that consoles are the way anything is meant to be played. Many developers have stated they wanted to do more but didn't have the tech for it or the money/time/resources to make it happen on their chosen platform. This isn't mgaically fixed on PC but at least it can help by removing overcomable restrictions the devs might have ambitions beyond. Imagine if DOOM, The Sims, Thief, simulators, Half-Life and dozens more classics were restricted because of consoles and how you think they're 'meant' to be played. I shudder the thought.
    I don't need the bonuses PC gaming gives, because I find most of them frivolous anyway

I can tell such a statement comes from someone whose already made their mind up. I'm not trying to change your mind about it. But the benefits of PCs as a platform for games both for developers and the players are far from frivolous. Even just the amount of games one can choose from debunks that I believe.
    I have a PC for PC things.

Me too. That includes games :D

Now, if I wanted to upgrade stuff, I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't know if I upgraded one part if it would be compatible with everything else. It may be compatible, but then will it be bottlenecked by existing parts. I can't even remember the full specs of what parts I used. So if I wanted to upgrade, I'd have to find out what parts to upgrade, check their compatibility, probably check on forums like here and elsewhere, sift through all the different "You'd be better off doing XYZ", order the parts, install the parts, hope I did it correctly and didn't f*ck anything up, test everything... and by then what do I have?

A better system?

Also I assume you buy these kinds of things online so it's not exactly hard to keep a record of producs you bought. I can check my email and find all the parts I ordered years ago no problem.

Your posts have a way of making it sound like everything to do with PCs takes an insane amount of time. Even if it takes more time... this is a system a person is going to be gaming on for literally years later. The better half of a decade in fact if you go by pre-8th gen. Is it such a long time for someone to spend a few hours checking their system? Or decide to ask advice on a forum and see what replies they get over the weekend? I mean I've seen people spend longer choosing between PS4/XB1/WiiU.

I built my system to last. I won't be needing an upgrade any sooner than 8th gen console players will. And when I do it'll just be a GPU upgrade (because of many aspects about current technology bottlenecks happening with games and hardware that I won't go into right now) which will be cheaper than a whole new console. Then again I think Sony&MC are probably going to make playstation & xbox service focus rather than hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future I can download a playstation client similar to the steam client. MC practically already have this although I want nothing to do with it.
    Benzino wrote: »
    Yeah, I find most pc games I want make their way on to a console eventually.

Not too many of my favourite titles (that I've found thanks to this platform) have gotten console releases. FTL, Legend of Grimrock, Killing Floor (original ^_^), HuniePop, System Shock, Syberia, Harvester, The Black Mirror, Pathologic, Blade of Darkness, Intake... the list really just goes on. Usually older or niche titles that consoles don't seem to care for anymore.

The few that do get ports are often just inferior versions like Supreme Commander and Chivalry. Not that there's no shortage of borked versions of console games on PC. There absolutely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

This thread no longer (for some time) has anything to do with E3. Might as well change the title.

• Advertisement

Yep, sorry folks but this thread has just ended up with the sort of PC vs console / console vs console conversations we've seen hundreds of times before. Appreciate y'all having kept the conversation reasonably civil, but yeah think this has gone way off the original intention of thread.

If you want to discuss any particular hardware, you'll be welcomed in the Xbox, PC Gaming and PlayStation forums :)

As for E3, see you in next June's thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement