Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slayer Megathread

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Think that was 2006, when Lombardo filled in for Ulrich for part of their set, when he got sick...?

Dunno, the one i'm referring to is definitely 2005 anyway.

Banzai600 wrote: »

Bostaph is a slick stick man, Lombardo very much his own man and way of playing. The whole Lombardo split and the way it went on both sides wasnt great, its a real shame. And i think i did read somewhere that they never considered Dave a full time member of the band!?! Two very different drummers, so its down to personal choice who you like, not who is better.

He never seems to nail the double bass solo in Angel of Death which kinda annoys me. Maybe i'm just too used to Lombardo standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Think that was 2006, when Lombardo filled in for Ulrich for part of their set, when he got sick...?

That was 2004 that Lombardo and others filled in for Ulrich, when Slayer had to play the second stage because their gear got delayed or something

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nah, think this is the real deal, Tom has been wanting to retire for some time and had to be heavily persuaded to do such a long farewell tour

Maybe he will feel differently after a few months of retirement. Also with the money that will be thrown at them , i can definitely see them coming out of retirement for a few festival dates.

You heard it hear first: Slayer to play Wacken in 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Beekay wrote: »
    That was 2004 that Lombardo and others filled in for Ulrich, when Slayer had to play the second stage because their gear got delayed or something

I deffo remember Ulrich getting sick a couple of hours before they were due to go onstage in 06(Donington) and Joey Jordison, Lombardo, and others filled in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I deffo remember Ulrich getting sick a couple of hours before they were due to go onstage in 06(Donington) and Joey Jordison, Lombardo, and others filled in for him.

No that was definitely 2004 when Lars couldn't appear, and Metallica drafted in guest drummers. Your thinking of Jonathan Davis from Korn and 2006.

• Advertisement

Kerry King’s first song off his debut album came out yesterday…. And it’s undeniably Slayer. So much so that i’d say he specifically tried to get a singer who sounded exactly like Tom Araya. Decent song at the same time i guess.

Had a few choice words to say about Tom too (not majorly surprising) and Dave Lombardo (not at all surprising). Just massively pissed that Tom called quits on the gravy train i’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Banzai600

long live the king, its a fast track. i spotted bastoph by his snare drum a mile off. not mad about the vocals....

good article

king and Arya havent spoken since 2019 . says it all, and im surprised king sai "he's dead to me" about lombardo...wtf?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Turns out they weren't immune to the ol retirement fakeout.

He mightn't have Spoken to Tom since 2019 but he's certainly agreed to play with him as they've been booked & announced for 2 North American festivals in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Was always gonna happen. Play limited gigs each year, get paid handsomely and Tom doesn't have a full tour schedule.

Had thought after 5 years they were probably definitely done. Tom seemed content in retirement.

Obviously bullshit by Kerry saying they hadn’t spoke in so long. They’d have had to really to get back up and running again.

Few select dates every year i think. Don’t think we’ll see them on these shores again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...they probably didnt talk for most of that 5 years, 40 years together is longer than most marriages, by that stage you probably dont want to be talking to each other....

....not exactly surprised by this, have to agree with the few gigs a year and nice pay out, id say playing live is as addictive as any drug....

yeah but he explicitly said last week that there wasn’t so much as a text in 5 years.

If they were coming back then they’ve obviously conversed in recent weeks/months.

Or so one would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...may not have been communicating directly, but via management, lawyers etc, i get the feeling there hasnt been a whole lot of direct communication between them for a very long time, even before they finished up....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its not really a reunion or tour, I always thought they'd do a few festivals every few years and get paid a boat load.

Someone like system of a down are broken up nearly 20 years, dont like each other and still do a few dates a year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

FYI, SOAD UK cover band playing in Dublin start of April, IE cover band palying in Athlone this weekend. Slayer cover band playing at Roackathon, dont know anything about them

Advertisement