Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Reynolds and Mick Clifford's coverage of the O'Higgin's Report

• 17-05-2016 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on Paul and Mick's coverage of the O'Higgins report.

Am I alone in thinking that Paul's reports are very biased in favour of the Garda Commissioner? Sometimes when I'm watching his reports on TV, I feel like I'm listening to a member of the Garda Press Office.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people's thoughts are on Paul and Mick's coverage of the O'Higgins report.

Am I alone in thinking that Paul's reports are very biased in favour of the Garda Commissioner? Sometimes when I'm watching his reports on TV, I feel like I'm listening to a member of the Garda Press Office.

Both versions have so much spin applied that its impossible to know which is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Both versions have so much spin applied that its impossible to know which is correct.
    I completely agree.

However, I feel Clifford does seem to be raising genuine concerns about how Garda McCabe was treated. There are so many questions to be answered, like why the whole malice accusation was dropped when McCabe produced his recording and more importantly what would have happened if he didn't have the recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Paul Reynolds was shown up long ago as being the conduit of official line.

Totally lacks credibility at this job and needs to be moved.

Mick Clifford illustrating very clearly the discrepencies in Garda Commissioners alleged statement. FF silence on this issue could become deafening also if this goes pear shaped.

Not happy at all with the Niall Collins line and he came out so early this morning with it. Move along, nothing to see here.

Looks like from Prime Time that she (Commisioner) ran with the views given to her from the Mullingar meeting. I suppose why wouldn't she. But they then back pedalled and buried it when the tape of the meeting came to light.

As usual, its the cover up is the issue.
    Where is the disciplinary action against the two?
    Fair play to Mick Clifford.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Not happy at all with the Niall Collins line and he came out so early this morning with it. Move along, nothing to see here.

Looks like from Prime Time that she (Commisioner) ran with the views given to her from the Mullingar meeting. I suppose why wouldn't she. But they then back pedalled and buried it when the tape of the meeting came to light.

As usual, its the cover up is the issue.
    Where is the disciplinary action against the two?
    Fair play to Mick Clifford.

Panel on Vinb stating that FF beginning to cede oppositon to Shinners and Independents already on this issue. Exactly the opposite of what their partnership arrangement was to provide.

I was thinking that FF had already decided to back Govn't on many issues as a general policy and that this was the first issue to spring up.

Well see where MM positions it in a day or two. He's especially knacky at changing tack. It will leave egg on Collins's face but so what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

You'd have to hand it to Mick Clifford - he's a voice that need to be heard. And I'd say the Ex are delighted - if it wasn't for him they would not get a look in on the national airwaves (IM[very humble]O)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/michael-clifford/garda-commissioner-needs-to-step-up-or-step-down-400294.html

Just as an aside and without opening a post sentence from a lead story currently on independent.ie

"A female pedestrian was hailed as a hero today after dramatically rescuing a child which had slipped and fallen into a river in an Irish city centre.
    The three year old girl was walking with her parents at 12 noon in Cork city centre when she suddenly ran forward to gaze at fish swimming in the River Lee"

Who are they catering for with "an Irish city centre"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

IRE60 wrote: »
    You'd have to hand it to Mick Clifford - he's a voice that need to be heard. And I'd say the Ex are delighted - if it wasn't for him they would not get a look in on the national airwaves (IM[very humble]O)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/michael-clifford/garda-commissioner-needs-to-step-up-or-step-down-400294.html

Just as an aside and without opening a post sentence from a lead story currently on independent.ie

"A female pedestrian was hailed as a hero today after dramatically rescuing a child which had slipped and fallen into a river in an Irish city centre.
    The three year old girl was walking with her parents at 12 noon in Cork city centre when she suddenly ran forward to gaze at fish swimming in the River Lee"

Who are they catering for with "an Irish city centre"

A great read - thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

there was a discussion a few weeks back on the last word after the innocent guy was shot about Gardai giving information to the media. The contributors were an ex garda and a journalist guy who was from that part of dublin (cant rember his name or media outlet) but he was adament that certain journalists were getting to much sensitive information in relation to on going cases and investigations off members of the gardai. The ex garda of course was in denial that any member of the gardai would give away information

• Advertisement

Yes, the inquiry found that Claire Daly's arrest was an internal leak.

Advertisement