Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wheel upgrade or bike upgrade

• 17-05-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

im thinking of upgrading the standard alex r500 aluminium rims that came with my felt f95.
    i was looking at the campagnolo zonda's.
    would they be a worth while upgrade or would i be better holding off and upgrading my bike in a year or two?
    any and all opinions welcome.
    local bike shops gave conflicting information

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

kingerae86 wrote: »
    im thinking of upgrading the standard alex r500 aluminium rims that came with my felt f95.
    i was looking at the campagnolo zonda's.
    would they be a worth while upgrade or would i be better holding off and upgrading my bike in a year or two?
    any and all opinions welcome.
    local bike shops gave conflicting information

I have zondas. Used to have some stock wheels that came with the bike can't remember what they were probably round €100 mark. Doubt I'll upgrade wheel for as long as zondas will work. Might get quattros/sciroccos as 2nd set. Also nice wheels. To me wheels are only part of the bike I'm reluctant to spend more than €350 on.

When I switched bike rolled faster and they have good reputation. Freehub is bit loud but thats about it. Well worth getting if you don't want to venture into ridiculous amounts of monies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Out of all the stuff I bought for cycling (which is a lot :P ) a wheel upgrade was the best thing I did, noticed an immediate improvement, they roll so easily.

I bought zondas btw

You can then put them on your new bike in 2 yrs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Unless you are really spending on a new bike, it wont have wheels as good as the Zondas.
    I got them last year and it was a brilliant decision, they made a huge difference. And I was sceptical before hand.
    Unless you really need a new bike, I wouldnt bother. Waste of money. The cost of the new wheels will make as much if not more difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Another +1 for new wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Sure a new bike wouldn't be bad at all :p

I upgraded my wheels a few months back immediately noticed the difference between the stock ones that were on the bike

I didn't get the zondas I got the ventos from ribble with gaterskins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

Thanks for the help.
    Now to find the best value zondas. Any recommendations for tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The obvious thing to do is upgrade the wheels AND get a new bike. I can't believe it took 8 posts for this glaringly obvious solution. :D

But seriously, +1 for the Zondas. I upgraded Giant stock wheels to Zondas and the difference is noticeable. Especially in reliability. Over 4,000km the Giant wheels needed to be trued regularly and the rear wheel broke 3 spokes.

I've over 8,500km on the Zondas with a lot of that commuting across Dublin City and the Zondas are as true as new. I have them shod with Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tyres that roll really well but I think most of the folks on 410 have a preference for Continental tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

kingerae86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help.
    Now to find the best value zondas. Any recommendations for tyres?

Check bike-discount.de or 4thebike.de maybe merlin cycles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭seanin4711

4za cirrus.
    Great wheels
    Merlin cycles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If you are running shimano, you could try superstarcomponents who have some magnificent deals on clearance wheels at present. (No campag freehub options in stock as I was looking) There is even a code knocking about here for an additional 20% off the already super low price..I don't know it, but if you search recent thread started by me, somebody posted it there.
    For Zondas , just google. Best deals normally ex Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

+1 for the Zonda's as well. Definitely noticed an improvement over the wheels that came with the bike. Also just to add a good set of tyres like gp4000's will also help. Keep the old wheels/tyres for winter spins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I think we're reaching peak Zonda :pac:

+1 on the Pave 28s from Superstar Components. The Icon hubs use SKF bearings which are smooth and last ages.

I used to work for an Engineering supply company. When engineers wanted reliable bearings for high-value production lines, they always bought ( and paid handsomely for ), SKF.

Incidentally, they make a bottom bracket which is guaranteed for 100000 kms..but anecdotally lasts longer

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/bottom-brackets/skf-bottom-bracket-isis/

Advertisement