Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannondale or Canyon? 2k approx to spend

Options
  • 17-05-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

Redundancy means new bike so not all bad news.

Sticking with 50/34 if possible so what are the best options for me?

Not sure a full race set up would suit me so relaxed/endurance set would be ideal id say

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Is there anything to be said for two bikes? Get both, relaxed canyon and racey cannondale :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mmmmm.... Not getting that much redundancy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

If you prefer relaxed fit go Canyon Endurance or Cannondale synapse.
    My vote is for C'dale as i have five of them xD.
    Canyon online only orr Cannondale in your local LBS. Either are great bike. Have Canyon too xD.

Good info there.

Sizing is tricky buying online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Every time I go to Cycle Superstore I drool over the CAAD 12 in that orange/red colour they do!
    Plan is to buy this frame in the near future! Bike of the year 2016 at that price point.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cannondale-caad12-105-49861/

• Advertisement

Every time I go to Cycle Superstore I drool over the CAAD 12 in that orange/red colour they do!
    Plan is to buy this frame in the near future! Bike of the year 2016 at that price point.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cannondale-caad12-105-49861/

Been drawn to that bike myself, got a fantastic review

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

furiousox wrote: »

Only gotcha to that is that the Ultimate range now seems to come pretty much exclusively with 52/36 up front, rather than the 50/34 that the OP has in mind. I have the Endurace CF with 105, and very happy with it, but the higher end models have gotten a significant upgrade in wheels this year, so worth a look.

OP, well worth your while looking at https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-9-0.html IMHO, slightly over the 2k mark, but the closest they have to that mark too. Since you mention redundancy, it seems quite likely that you won't be availing of BTW discount on this. I was trying to make almost the same decision that someone else outlined (Cannondale Synapse vs Canyon Endurace) myself when I went for the Canyon last year, and I could use BTW for a Cannondale, but not with Canyon (employer policy/procurement arrangements). I still went for the Canyon because the equivalent spec in a Cannondale was coming in about 500 higher, and with corners cut on certain parts, e.g. brake calipers, or lower end wheels. Plus I hated the look of the "scoop"/hollow in the seat tube above the BB on the Synapse!

If you can't use BTW on either option, Canyon would almost certainly offer better value from what I've seen, and while there is a risk associated with sizing online, their sizing tool is pretty good, and they will also let you swap the stem within a certain amount of time after the sale, AFAIK. Their VCLS 2.0 seatpost also offers a pretty large range of adjustment in setback. Main drawback is the potential lead time. If you want to get an idea of the XL Endurace for size, and you're around Dublin, I may be able to facilitate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was looking at the two same bikes and went for a Rose instead. Great value there too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Having owned a canyon endurace, cannondale supersix and caad 10 and ridden the synapse and caad 12.
    I would pick the caad 12 and probably will in the future.

As you mentioned redundancy, have you given any thought to taking the family to Gran Canaria buying an ex rental Cannondale from Free Motion for silly money http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-canaria/bike-shop-gran-canaria/road-bike-sale/
    Enjoy cycling in the sun for a week, leave the stress of the job at home, get some sunshine and bring home a new bike.

• Advertisement

cunavalos wrote: »
    Having owned a canyon endurace, cannondale supersix and caad 10 and ridden the synapse and caad 12.
    I would pick the caad 12 and probably will in the future.

As you mentioned redundancy, have you given any thought to taking the family to Gran Canaria buying an ex rental Cannondale from Free Motion for silly money http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-canaria/bike-shop-gran-canaria/road-bike-sale/
    Enjoy cycling in the sun for a week, leave the stress of the job at home, get some sunshine and bring home a new bike.

Jesus christ, what a plan and silly prices... More plans to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Have a look at an Olympia Ikon. A little above your budget but with a 105 group set it won't be too far off. Savage bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

mother of god! they are some reductions.

[url] https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-9-0.html[/url]

I like this, has an upgrade to Ultegra on a 50/34 which will be good for my potentially dodgy knees.

Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

I came across , this thread tonight. I'm looking at getting a CAAD 12, but am unsure about sizing. My current bike is a 54 with a 140 headtube and a 55cm top tube. Looking at the Cannondale geometry, the 54 seems a good fit, but someone was telling me that I should go for medium 52. I think this requires too much adjustment, and should stick to the relatively similar spec for the 54. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm 5ft 8, 30 inch inseam. Any other bike I've had has always had a 140 headtube - I'm thinking I should just stick with what I know. Don't know anyone who has one to try out so am in a bit of a quandry. There are some excellent deals on the CAAD12s at the moment so want to take advantage. Thanks in advance.

And to add to the mix, have found a few CAAD 10 frames on ebay at good prices, but have to get fork, headset, seat post etc as well so probably not going to be a bargain once sourced everything else. Is there any real significant differences between the CAAD 10 and 12 framesets??

bsb1971 wrote: »
    I came across , this thread tonight. I'm looking at getting a CAAD 12, but am unsure about sizing. My current bike is a 54 with a 140 headtube and a 55cm top tube. Looking at the Cannondale geometry, the 54 seems a good fit, but someone was telling me that I should go for medium 52. I think this requires too much adjustment, and should stick to the relatively similar spec for the 54. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm 5ft 8, 30 inch inseam. Any other bike I've had has always had a 140 headtube - I'm thinking I should just stick with what I know. Don't know anyone who has one to try out so am in a bit of a quandry. There are some excellent deals on the CAAD12s at the moment so want to take advantage. Thanks in advance.

And to add to the mix, have found a few CAAD 10 frames on ebay at good prices, but have to get fork, headset, seat post etc as well so probably not going to be a bargain once sourced everything else. Is there any real significant differences between the CAAD 10 and 12 framesets??

It would be very handy if you will mention what is your current bike is.
    Head tube height is only part of geometry and i wouldnt focusing on that.
    Remember... Stack and reach figure is your friend. For more details i think we need to know what is your your existing frameset.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aimnburn

And to add to the mix, have found a few CAAD 10 frames on ebay at good prices, but have to get fork, headset, seat post etc as well so probably not going to be a bargain once sourced everything else. Is there any real
    significant differences between the CAAD 10 and 12 framesets??

I'm 5,8 with a 30 inseam and I bought a 2015 51'' Cannondale Synapse. I know you're looking at a CAAD but Cannondale sizes are a bit on the large side. The next size up just felt way too big for me.

I did have to invest in a longer seatpost as the supplied seatpost at 300mm length wasn't log enough for me. The reach was perfect though.

So my advice is to sit on the bike at least before you buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dahat wrote: »
    Redundancy means new bike so not all bad news.

Sticking with 50/34 if possible so what are the best options for me?

Not sure a full race set up would suit me so relaxed/endurance set would be ideal id say

Redundancy rules!
    tho I've still to get a new bike with mine from 12 months ago, decided I'd wait til cycle to work comes round again, mid 2018.
    The bro has a canyon and its a superb bit of kit, some value for money too.

Is there any real significant differences between the CAAD 10 and 12 framesets??

Well ive had a chance to cycle on caad12 and for me difference for 54cm caad 10 and caad12 is big enough to size it down to 52cm.
    Basically difference is very subjective and as some one said best way is to sit on them and do lets say 50-60miles on each.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Thnaks for the replies to all. Now to just find someone in the Kerry/Cork area that actually has a CAAD12 in stock so that I can try one for size!! @sin_26 - your CAAD10 on adverts.ie looks like a class machine!

• Advertisement

Now to just find someone in the Kerry/Cork area that actually has a CAAD12 in stock so that I can try one for size!! @sin_26 - your CAAD10 on adverts.ie looks like a class machine!

Thanks for that
    Im a big fan of CAAD`s. Ive got first in late 90`s so maybe nostalgia?:).
    Anyway worth a try to make new thread about looking someone in Cork/Kerry area with Caad12 to try it on.

Cheers

terrydel wrote: »
    Redundancy rules!
    tho I've still to get a new bike with mine from 12 months ago, decided I'd wait til cycle to work comes round again, mid 2018.
    The bro has a canyon and its a superb bit of kit, some value for money too.

Just to update this i bought a Giant Tcr advanced 1 with full Ultegra which I'm over the moon with.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Well wear and best of luck with it! Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Went through this myself last year. Endurace vs Synapse.

Canyon won for value hands down and ended up buying one.
    However I probably would have went for the rimbrakes synapse if the colour was different on the Ultegra model.

Both will be fantastic bikes. I really like my endurace and I'm positive the synapse is a stunning ride as well.

Let the heart decide and you'll not regret it.

Advertisement