Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conceding putts in team match play

• 17-05-2016 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Interesting rule I learned at the weekend. Thought I'd post it as a few members are involved in inter-club matches.
    They were in for a par. My putt was for a bogey but would have given my partner a line for his par putt. He conceded my bogey rather than allow me to putt. I wanted to putt but deferred to my opponent's better knowledge of the rules and picked up after he had conceded my putt. My partner missed anyway but if I had declined the concession, then we were DQ for that hole. Good use of the rules by them and a rule I'm glad I now know.

Here's the official rule:
    2-4. Concession Of Match, Hole Or Next Stroke

A player may concede a match at any time prior to the start or conclusion of that match.
    A player may concede a hole at any time prior to the start or conclusion of that hole.
    A player may concede his opponent’s next stroke at any time, provided the opponent’s ball is at rest. The opponent is considered to have holed out with his next stroke, and the ball may be removed by either side.
    A concession may not be declined or withdrawn.

The Decision:

2-4/6

Putting Out After Concession of Stroke

Rule 2-4 does not cover the question of whether a player may putt out after his next stroke has been conceded. A player incurs no penalty for holing out in such circumstances. However, if the act would be of assistance to a partner in a four-ball or best-ball match, the partner is, in equity (Rule 1-4), disqualified for the hole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Clever use of the rules by them there! One to remember for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

What you could have done in that situation is lifted your ball and placed it an inch or two away and taken the putt from there as a "practice putt". Have seen that done plenty of times in matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What you could have done in that situation is lifted your ball and placed it an inch or two away and taken the putt from there as a "practice putt". Have seen that done plenty of times in matches

I dont think he would be able to practice until the hole was finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

That would also disqualify the partner from the hole.

"... if the act would be of assistance to a partner in a four-ball or best-ball match, the partner is, in equity (Rule 1-4), disqualified for the hole."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This happened in the Ryder Cup a few years back, the US guys did not concede under the exact same circumstance the OP pointed out and the line was given and longer putt duly holed.
    I remember because the commenters said at the time it showed the lack of Matchplay understanding in the US side, they said all of the Europe matches would have conceded in the same circumstance to defend "the line"

• Advertisement
Advertisement