Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food poisoning from local Chinese Takeaway :(

Options
  • 17-05-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may have seen my fiasco on AH: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057596517

Long story short... Went to Chinese Takeaway on Newcastle Rd last week. Gobbled the meal as was starving. Cut into last piece of chicken (only piece I cut into) and discovered this: http://imgur.com/RvCpeim

Went back to takeaway with offending piece of chicken to ask for an explination. I got roared at saying IT COOK OK, IT COOK FINE and was basically fecked out of the place, but not before they tried to explain that the raw centre of the chicken was 'oil' and 'normal' (they also tried to grab the piece of chicken out of my hand, had to almost wrestle it back to keep possession)

Spent the next day not too far from the jacks (won't go into detail).

Day after, decided to report it to the HSE / FSAI, more-so because of their disgusting attitude than anything else. Was promised the place would be inspected.

This morning, a notice 'Closed for maintenance' on the window: http://imgur.com/EiMejRK

Confirmed closure order by HSE: https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

Watch out if ordering takeaway, folks. I don't believe there's any issue with naming the place I got food poisoning from as it's on the FSAI website with a closure order. The takeaway in question: New Curry House, 62 Newcastle Road, Galway.

To think, they could have avoided this by just apologising. I didn't even ask for a refund, just an explination as to what the heck was going on. They brought this on themselves, I normally don't kick up a fuss. Probably for the best, I took one for the team :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

thankfully never ordered from there.

but good to know if desperate - avoid. that would put me off take aways for a very long time which would be good for my diet. So when are they open again? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, their arsey attitude would have been the real issue for me as well.

We had an issue with food from a place before (it wasn't that it was undercooked like your scenario), they offered a full refund and another full order free of charge. Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Laviski wrote: »
    thankfully never ordered from there.

but good to know if desperate - avoid. that would put me off take aways for a very long time which would be good for my diet. So when are they open again? :D

New Curry House 2 due to open up any day now :pac:

(New Curry House used to be called Curry house)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Cheap as chips for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Whenever I passed it I used to think was it one of those places where you would never get food poisoning from, because it looked precisely like the type of place where you would get food poisoning from - if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Cheap as chips for a reason

Plenty of other places cheap enough but cook food and are clean tasting!
    King Ding and Emperor City get my vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Awareness on Facebook needs to be created on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Marvin have the €5 feast at the moment for May, with a load of places doing full meals for the fiver. Got one last night from Limeleaf in Renmore, the portion was so massive I couldn't even finish it. Few other chinese places taking part as well. If anyone's hungry reading this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Marvin have the €5 feast at the moment for May, with a load of places doing full meals for the fiver. Got one last night from Limeleaf in Renmore, the portion was so massive I couldn't even finish it. Few other chinese places taking part as well. If anyone's hungry reading this thread....

That Limeleaf was closed for similar things in the past.......

The €5 is what caused the issue in the first place :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

I'd just like to say that I've been eating out of the curry house for years and never had an issue.

Sorry to hear about your trouble OP, they certainly should have taken your complaint more seriously.

Alcoheda wrote: »
    I'd just like to say that I've been eating out of the curry house for years and never had an issue.

Sorry to hear about your trouble OP, they certainly should have taken your complaint more seriously.

I know people who have eaten from there before with no issues. I would have thought I was just crazy feeling sick, but the raw chicken backs up my case. The fact that the HSE has shut the place down sheds further light on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Awareness on Facebook needs to be created on this.

This takeaway horror story should be "trending" and on Sky News!!

What does Obama think?

Should there be a commission of inquiry and what would the terms of reference be?

Could this bring down the government? The Chinese government!

They're a great bunch of lads.

The leaders of 1916 would be rolling in their graves!

Freedom of the city for John Cleary!!

Did the rescue helicopter take off?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cheers for posting OP, and I hope you feel okay now.

It's great that the Environmental Health Officers did go and inspect the premises. And sure enough, they served a closure order.

I subscribe to the FSAI updates and newsletters so each month I get an email listing all premises that have been closed that month. It's good to be aware and know where to avoid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Fairplay for actually doing something instead of just moaning about it here like most of us would.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

inisboffin wrote: »
    Plenty of other places cheap enough but cook food and are clean tasting!
    King Ding and Emperor City get my vote.
    Sorry for going a bit off topic - but a random question.

For years, Emperor City was my Chinese takeaway of choice. I never had an issues, I quite liked their food. Then maybe less than a year ago I ordered from them and the way they cooked and presented their food seemed totally different. Have they changed owners or something? I mean literally everything was different...

Since then I've changed to the Royal Villa in Salthill after a friend recommended and they're an excellent Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Cheers for posting OP, and I hope you feel okay now.

It's great that the Environmental Health Officers did go and inspect the premises. And sure enough, they served a closure order.

I subscribe to the FSAI updates and newsletters so each month I get an email listing all premises that have been closed that month. It's good to be aware and know where to avoid!!

Would that not be a good way to find out which to eat from? If a place has been closed and then reopens a week or two later then it's got everything up to scratch. As far as I know the FSAI have to re-visit before places are allowed to reopen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Could have been just 'Dog' which looks like chicken but is more like beef in that a little bit of rare in the middle is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

This thread has everything!

Golden Mountain was one of the best I had before I left a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

"To think, they could have avoided this by just apologising."

Can we deduct that you would not have reported them if they had apologised?

• Advertisement

FanadMan wrote: »
    Would that not be a good way to find out which to eat from? If a place has been closed and then reopens a week or two later then it's got everything up to scratch. As far as I know the FSAI have to re-visit before places are allowed to reopen.

That's a very valid point for sure. For me though it's a case of 'once bitten, twice shy'. As in, if a place has been served a closure order, then I probably won't be eating there in the future, even if they have everything up to scratch :)

Actually, it'd be interesting if the FSAI released info each month on food premises that had passed inspections.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Andrea B. wrote: »
    "To think, they could have avoided this by just apologising."

Can we deduct that you would not have reported them if they had apologised?

Perhaps if they had handled it in a responsible manner John wouldn't have had cause to believe this was anything more than a once-off cock up. I can't speak for him of course, I'm just interpreting the data he's already provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's a very valid point for sure. For me though it's a case of 'once bitten, twice shy'. As in, if a place has been served a closure order, then I probably won't be eating there in the future, even if they have everything up to scratch :).

If a place is being run by people who are dumb enough to have let things get so bad that FSAI closed it, then I don't think I want to eat there.

The physical premises may have been brought up to scratch, but unless the got some new brains for the staff, nothing will really have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Actually, it'd be interesting if the FSAI released info each month on food premises that had passed inspections.

I was reading a story about the equivalent agency in the UK being your typical underfunded and poorly staffed department where there are many times more premises to inspect than inspectors.

I'd say we're going more on the good grace of restaurant owners trying to keep reasonable standards to keep people coming back rather than fear of being kept in line by big brother. I'm sure every kitchen cuts corners and wouldn't pass an inspection depending on the day. Like any government agency, they have a better record of reacting after the fact (after you've been poisoned or killed on the roads, etc) than at prevention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Fish and chip place at the pier in a west Cork village last summer... bit into one of my crab claws... smelt of ammonia and tasted of poop... got some other people to smell it and they agreed... brought it to the French owner who grabbed it out of my hand, threw it in the bin and told me he had no sense of smell and so could not smell it anyway... went on to say the other guy working there had no sense of smell either and so he could not smell it either... we walked out and never went back... bunch of eijits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Some of you may have seen my fiasco on AH: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057596517

Long story short... Went to Chinese Takeaway on Newcastle Rd last week. Gobbled the meal as was starving. Cut into last piece of chicken (only piece I cut into) and discovered this: http://imgur.com/RvCpeim

Went back to takeaway with offending piece of chicken to ask for an explination. I got roared at saying IT COOK OK, IT COOK FINE and was basically fecked out of the place, but not before they tried to explain that the raw centre of the chicken was 'oil' and 'normal' (they also tried to grab the piece of chicken out of my hand, had to almost wrestle it back to keep possession)

Spent the next day not too far from the jacks (won't go into detail).

Day after, decided to report it to the HSE / FSAI, more-so because of their disgusting attitude than anything else. Was promised the place would be inspected.

This morning, a notice 'Closed for maintenance' on the window: http://imgur.com/EiMejRK

Confirmed closure order by HSE: https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

Watch out if ordering takeaway, folks. I don't believe there's any issue with naming the place I got food poisoning from as it's on the FSAI website with a closure order. The takeaway in question: New Curry House, 62 Newcastle Road, Galway.

To think, they could have avoided this by just apologising. I didn't even ask for a refund, just an explination as to what the heck was going on. They brought this on themselves, I normally don't kick up a fuss. Probably for the best, I took one for the team :o

The incubation period for something food poisoning related would be 24-72 hours to get the effects you did. What was the time-frame for you? You said the next day you had the skitters etc.

The incubation period for something food poisoning related would be 24-72 hours to get the effects you did. What was the time-frame for you? You said the next day you had the skitters etc.

If you read John's AH thread, you'll get some of those details :)

Perhaps if they had handled it in a responsible manner John wouldn't have had cause to believe this was anything more than a once-off cock up. I can't speak for him of course, I'm just interpreting the data he's already provided.

^^ This

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think you a showing way to much praise to the hse. I'm sure most of us have dealt with them so I find it hard to believe that you complained and they hopped into the bat mobile and shut them down. It's either a raft of complaints or a planned visit that caught them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sorry for going a bit off topic - but a random question.

For years, Emperor City was my Chinese takeaway of choice. I never had an issues, I quite liked their food. Then maybe less than a year ago I ordered from them and the way they cooked and presented their food seemed totally different. Have they changed owners or something? I mean literally everything was different...

Since then I've changed to the Royal Villa in Salthill after a friend recommended and they're an excellent Chinese.

Funnily enough, due a shift in hours etc, I've only used them a lot in the last year or two (and didn't notice much difference). Also I'd order veggie a lot, and in terms of being well cooked etc, it's less problematic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement