Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food poisoning from local Chinese Takeaway :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Had Asian tonight. Hope I don't poop myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

inisboffin wrote: »
    Plenty of other places cheap enough but cook food and are clean tasting!
    King Ding and Emperor City get my vote.

I concur on both :) had takeaways from both many times and never got sick. Try the meat sung starter from King Ding :9 and the Malaysian Satay chicken from Emperor city (they put pineapple in that in King Ding which puts me off). Never got sick from any takeaway in Galway by the way and I eat Asian food all the time (usually more Thai than Chinese, I love spice!). I think this was an exception.

OP's experience was pretty bad though, sorry to hear about it. It could have been someone with low immune resistance ending up with worse effects than just seeing the inside of the bowl. I think you were right to report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think you a showing way to much praise to the hse. I'm sure most of us have dealt with them so I find it hard to believe that you complained and they hopped into the bat mobile and shut them down. It's either a raft of complaints or a planned visit that caught them out.

What part about it annoys you more? That either (a) they acted promptly, after getting tipped-off or (b), if they weren't tipped off, seem to be serious about closing down businesses who don't obey the food safety regulations?

Either way, they seem to have done alright in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

There is no Great Chinese in Galway that I've tried. I don't think the ones out in salthill would deliver to me so I've never tried. The menlo is grand but such a bloody rip off. Limeleaf had the best satay but started finding everything way way too greasy. If anyone is in the Killarney direction order from Xin Garden. It's beautiful, I miss it :-(

If anyone could recommend any Chinese that will deliver out the Headford rd.. I've tried a good few now and none have excited me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Arghus wrote: »
    What part about it annoys you more? That either (a) they acted promptly, after getting tipped-off or (b), if they weren't tipped off, seem to be serious about closing down businesses who don't obey the food safety regulations?

Im in no way shape or form annoyed by either a or b

• Advertisement

Interesting, there is an Indian restaurant in Cork that's always recommenced on the same closure list would never have known that had I now clicked the link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Free whopper @ BK later today. Should I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, eat a salad instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

PLL wrote: »
    If anyone could recommend any Chinese that will deliver out the Headford rd.. I've tried a good few now and none have excited me at all.

I've been using China Garden for years. Even when they relocated to Mervue, and the food changed slightly. Still bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

biko wrote: »
    No, eat a salad instead.

b607bacd085506ce54639c8a2d585889.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I think you a showing way to much praise to the hse. I'm sure most of us have dealt with them so I find it hard to believe that you complained and they hopped into the bat mobile and shut them down. It's either a raft of complaints or a planned visit that caught them out.

Where did I praise the HSE? All I stated was a factual time-log, which i'll repeat:

Wednesday: Ate food and realised the issue
    Wednesday night: E-mailed FSAI

Thurs morning 9:20am: Had an e-mail from FSAI
    Thurs afternoon: Had a call from HSE EHO Galway

Friday morning: Visited HSE EHO and submitted complaint and submitted food sample

Following Monday: Takeaway closed with sign on window

Seems damn efficient to me and I *should* be praising the HSE. Maybe you have a gripe with the HSE (don't we all??) but in this instance I couldn't have asked for more efficient action. Well done HSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

biko wrote: »
    No, eat a salad instead.

I live beside Burger King. I was in there the night after I moved into the house.

I could see what direction that was going in, so I decided to never go in there again.

Now I'm having free burger leaflets dropped in the door.

Halp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Tried to go to Golden Rickshaw last Thursday but they had a letter on the door saying they were closed for a week too. No sign of them on the FSAI site though so hopefully all is well!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I've had Men At Wok a couple of times now and they seem to be really nice. Fresh food and not as ridiculously bad for you as run of the mill take away. It's slightly more expensive but as I does seem fresh and as a treat I can justify the extra few quid. It's just there by Tesco Expres so I'd imagine they'd deliver to you. This post refers to PLL's question about other decent takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Someone above mentioned Royal Villa (above the Aquarium). When we moved to Knocknacarra most of the local takeaways were so shocking we gave up on Chinese for a year. Then we started using Royal Villa going back several years. Roughly been ordering every other month for years and never had a mishap of any sort after dozens of tasty orders.

Just to add balance, i've been ordering from ChinaTown (now Jalan Jalan) opposite UHG for 10+ years now and never had a bad meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anyone looking for a cheap takeaway?

https://www.marvin.ie/feasts-galway/

I'm in no way affiliated with Marvin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Lana (on the main thoroughfare of Salthill) is fast becoming a new favourite of mine. Small premises, but always packed anytime I'm in. Really good food at takeaway prices. Try the Pad Thai! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Lana (on the main thoroughfare of Salthill) is fast becoming a new favourite of mine. Small premises, but always packed anytime I'm in. Really good food at takeaway prices. Try the Pad Thai! :pac:

Jalan jalan is fairly epic too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Papa rich for me! What a place 👌🏼

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Only had one meal from Jalan jalan (one of those €5 deals from marvin- The spice bag deal) It was tasty as could be. I'll definitely be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

ArtyC wrote:
    Papa rich for me! What a place 👌ðŸ¼

+1 on Papa Rich!!! Chicken rendang yum yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Got back wrecked after camping and tried them last night. Got the udon noodle house special and crispy chilli chicken. Good god, it was absolutely savage! Reminds me of what Chi was trying to do but much better put together. For the usual offerings I still love Royal Villa but for something different and damned delicious I'll be back.

To put it into context, had lovely meals from (to name a few):
    Papa Rich
    Lana
    Jalan Jalan (old Chinatown opposite UHG)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Jalan Jalan is lovely. Really disappointed the last two takeaways I ordered from there were stone cold by the time they arrived.

Jalan Jalan is lovely. Really disappointed the last two takeaways I ordered from there were stone cold by the time they arrived.

Do you mean delivery? In fairness, that'd most likely be the drivers fault. I never get delivery, always order to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

yes, delivery. I live across town from there with no car so have to get delivery unfortunately. Have ordered from places in salthill before and never had food that cold

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement