Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried - HSE rental house

Options
  • 17-05-2016 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi, bit of advice needed please.. We live in a quiet residential estate in Naas, we have 2 kids and there are plenty of other kids around. So a bunch of dodgy looking fellas moved in to the house opposite us. Our next door neighbour was collecting for something and called to their door, she got chatting with the guy who answered. She asked him if they were renting or what? He basically said that the house was being rented by the HSE and that he couldn't disclose anything more as it was confidential.. These lads are very quiet and seem well behaved.. she noted all their shoes were neatly lined up in the hall. They go off in a group during the day. What is going on here? Are they in rehab of some sort? Should I be worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Fender76 wrote: »
    Hi, bit of advice needed please.. We live in a quiet residential estate in Naas, we have 2 kids and there are plenty of other kids around. So a bunch of dodgy looking fellas moved in to the house opposite us. Our next door neighbour was collecting for something and called to their door, she got chatting with the guy who answered. She asked him if they were renting or what? He basically said that the house was being rented by the HSE and that he couldn't disclose anything more as it was confidential.. These lads are very quiet and seem well behaved.. she noted all their shoes were neatly lined up in the hall. They go off in a group during the day. What is going on here? Are they in rehab of some sort? Should I be worried?

It's quite possibly group living for individuals with a disability.

I wouldn't panic :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

What have you to be worried about? Your experience is that they're quiet and well behaved though you consider their appearance to be "dodgy". Whatever happened to presumed innocence?

Who the house is rented by shouldn't be a concern, the HSE are better at acting on problem tenants than most private landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

i don't know, could they be addicts? Paedophiles? My kids play outside..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are a number of HSE rented houses in Maynooth. Adults with intellectual disabilities and a staff 'leader' of sorts. Provides a more conventional living environment than being institutionalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Paedophile ring busted in naas..as local woman reported seeing their shoes all placed neatly in hall.....

• Advertisement

Private tenants could be either too. Jumping to the worst possible conclusion really isn't helpful for anyone. You'll work yourself up into a state and it's likely to be something very innocent as others have already suggested.

They don't find a house for paedophiles and put them all under one roof with HSE staff!!

Don't let paranoia set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Why did you open two threads on this issue at the same time, in Accomodation but also in Legal?

A bit of quiet home work should get you a reassuring answer, if that's possible for ypu.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I live beside a hse home for adults with disabilities.

We have similar addresses and they redirect our post if they need to and in seven years that's as much as I know of them.

They are quiet neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

How does your thought process go from "dodgy" to "quiet and well behaved" to "paedophiles?" I mean seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Thanks everyone for your replies.. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid. The lady who was speaking with the guy said he was being very cagey and as she lives on her own she is a bit worried. But it could be fine.
    I posted this in the Legal section too as I wanted to get a couple of different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Yes, you are a little paranoid. Its a little bit sad too, that a group of quiet, well behaved tenants move in and people are online querying if they are paedophiles because the house is owned/leased by the HSE and their shoes are all lined up. I mean, if you SAW something thatd be different but this is wild speculation and it could be very damaging for you to go spreading this around with your neighbours to men who have, quite literally not bothered or interefered with you in any way.

Thanks everyone for your replies.. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid. The lady who was speaking with the guy said he was being very cagey and as she lives on her own she is a bit worried. But it could be fine.
    I posted this in the Legal section too as I wanted to get a couple of different opinions.

Cagey to one person could be private to another!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Possibly the guy she was talking to was staff and wanting to protect the confidentiality of his clients? Highly unlikely that the hse are going to gather up a bunch of shady characters and house them together if they pose a threat to society. And as someone else pointed out- the hse will have the ability to act on any issues if there are any. You could have a lot more cause for concern if someone bought that as a buy to let and rented it out to a crowd of antisocials.

Just FYI it's against boards rules to post the same thread in multiple fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't worry about the residents, their health and behaviour will be well monitored.

But do keep an eye on visitors who may be less supervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Cagey to one person could be private to another!

I think anyone would be cagey when the neighbourhood busy-body arrives at your door inquiring as to your rental situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Okay, this thread has run its course. OP, if you have any other information beyond speculation you can PM me to re-open the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement