Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value form of roundup

Options
  • 17-05-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I have a gravel driveway and gravel paths and have a lot of weeds growing up through it. I bought 5L of roundup in Woodies, in a pump sprayer. I think it was ~€40. It didn't go far (about 1/4 of the driveway). At this rate, it will cost me a fortune to spray the driveway and paths, and I am only renting!!!!
    I notice that the refill is €34.99 for 5L in woodies.
    1. Is there any cheaper source of roundup (or an equivalent)?
    2. Is it cheaper to buy as powder and make it up?
    3. Where would have the best value (e.g., agriculture suppliers?)?
    4. Are there health risks to making up the powder yourself?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Try Gallup. Does the same job. About half the price, in co-op stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Buy concentrate roundup biactive 1 litre and mix it 10ml to 1 litre of water in a knapsack sprayer , light spray onto the weeds that are actively growing and in about a week they'll start to die off. It doesn't stop weeds reemerging it just kills what's growing. 1 litre gives 100 litres of very effective weedkiller for a cost of about €30 .
    This stuff.
    https://www.pitchcare.ie/shop/professional-weed-killers-all-alphabetical/roundup-pro-biactive-360-1l-total-weed-control.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have kids? pay them 1c per weed pulled; the problem is that there may be humus buildup in the gravel which is giving the weeds something to grow in. lifting them may reduce this slightly - as mentioned, spraying will just kill what has germinated, and won't kill the dormant seeds or affect new ones which blow in.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭CarPark2

Thanks for the responses. I agree that there is build up of soil in the gravel that is going to encourage the weeds, but I also think that pulling up the weeds, pulls up more clay, exacerbating the problem.
    Also, I have kids, but the eldest is 5, so their "weeding" involves pulling the top off!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I open to correction but pathclear is supposed to keep the weeds down as well as kill them. It may be more economic in the long run?http://www.thegardenshop.ie/pathclear/

Having said that, with kids you may prefer to avoid chemicals and try this, http://www.thegardenshop.ie/weed-burner/. I have never used one, but they look like a lot of fun! I think they come up in the discounters every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Could try Vinegar Salt Boiling water or a combination of the three. Rock salt water that in. Salt will make the ground sterile though for a few years if a heavy dose is applied. Plain boiling water will cook the weeds and kill what's showing above ground all for the cost of the kettle boiling. A 5 litre of pure vinegar refill the round up sprayer hell of a lot cheaper. Mix that with some washing up liquid so it binds to the plants and doesn't just run off. Stinks but at least its not carcinogenic! Probably cost you under a tenner.

If your using the salt option be aware that it will erode concrete and paths.

Advertisement