Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Odhinn wrote: »
    Clear outs of high level management are common when there is regime change at the top. A phased removal and series of promotions will ensure the place trundles on.

"Hey guys, we're going to sack you all because you knew the previous boss. If you could all stay in your positions from which you can already safely retire from while we find someone else to replace you that'd be great."

Let's leave aside, for the minute, the legality or morality of it. After you've removed anyone with Garda experience from the top management positions, who is going to help the new management step into the role? What effect on the rest of the staff do you think screwing over the top management and cutting off promotion from the lower tiers will have? There's already an issue in the rank and file from all the experienced people that jumped ship when they changed the pension rules a few years back.

I get it, you want to treat it like some regular company but it is nothing at all like that. It's a vital organisation that cannot be simply turned on its head because you'd like to start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"Hey guys, we're going to sack you all because you knew the previous boss. If you could all stay in your positions from which you can already safely retire from while we find someone else to replace you that'd be great."

Let's leave aside, for the minute, the legality or morality of it. After you've removed anyone with Garda experience from the top management positions, who is going to help the new management step into the role? What effect on the rest of the staff do you think screwing over the top management and cutting off promotion from the lower tiers will have? There's already an issue in the rank and file from all the experienced people that jumped ship when they changed the pension rules a few years back.

I get it, you want to treat it like some regular company but it is nothing at all like that. It's a vital organisation that cannot be simply turned on its head because you'd like to start over.

It's done all over the world, in policing and military organisations. You evidently haven't come across it, however thats neither here nor there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's done all over the world, in policing and military organisations. You evidently haven't come across it, however thats neither here nor there.

Neither have I, do you have a link to an example? I know it has happened a couple of times in China all right, Mugabe got rid of a few as well, as did the various Kims in North Korea, but other than that, which OECD countries have had a purge of senior policing and military officials?

It being done somewhere else does not mean it would work here. Can you say what country's example you would wish to follow if we were to go that way?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Neither have I, do you have a link to an example? I know it has happened a couple of times in China all right, Mugabe got rid of a few as well, as did the various Kims in North Korea, but other than that, which OECD countries have had a purge of senior policing and military officials?

Turkey?

• Advertisement

Turkey?

That is right. Erdogan even wanted to bring back the death penalty to deal with errant military officials.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-coup-erdogan-government-death-penalty-restore-attempted-istanbul-ankara-latest-dead-a7140391.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It happens in Ireland every four years or so. Sometimes intermittently. Why we had a second in command replaced only the other week. Didn't some Garda lad who spoke up get moved to traffic?
    When a new regime comes in or the current feels the need for a shuffle all the top positions in government are up for grabs, including their cronies and administrative side kicks. This isn't saying the previous position holders where all criminals or all incompetent, simply somebody in charge feels a change would be better.
    I do not see why the Garda should be any different especially with the revelations of incompetence and cronyism.

Bringing in North Korea etc. is base level distraction. Varadkar was only slagging off the DOJ the other week, mind he left Flanagan in situ...I suppose he's moved on to something else by now, people who don't rake the grass after cutting it or that.
    Doing nothing to tackle health because hands are tied, unions something something is tired, but don't the government have authority in some areas? Maybe the PBP LA's are blocking it? The commie scallywags.

Reductio ab absurdam - I refer you to Matt Barretts post. Change of staff at the top is necessary to change the culture. My question is why are you defending the very people who allowed Callinan function as he did?

Reductio ab absurdam - I refer you to Matt Barretts post. Change of staff at the top is necessary to change the culture.

No it isn't. Change of directions and orders is all that's needed. The staff at the top only need to be replaced if they cannot do that.
    My question is why are you defending the very people who allowed Callinan function as he did?

Nobody has defended the government as far as I can see.

Reductio ab absurdam - I refer you to Matt Barretts post. Change of staff at the top is necessary to change the culture. My question is why are you defending the very people who allowed Callinan function as he did?
    It happens in Ireland every four years or so. Sometimes intermittently. Why we had a second in command replaced only the other week. Didn't some Garda lad who spoke up get moved to traffic?
    When a new regime comes in or the current feels the need for a shuffle all the top positions in government are up for grabs, including their cronies and administrative side kicks. This isn't saying the previous position holders where all criminals or all incompetent, simply somebody in charge feels a change would be better.
    I do not see why the Garda should be any different especially with the revelations of incompetence and cronyism.

Can I refer you both to what Odhinn said:
    Clear outs of high level management are common when there is regime change at the top. A phased removal and series of promotions will ensure the place trundles on.

He wasn't talking about a sideways move here or there, he wasn't talking about a top man being replaced, he wasn't talking about the changing of political appointments.

He was clearly talking about a complete clear out of high level management, and that this is common across the world. Yet neither of you have produced a single example.

Neither have any of you been able to demonstrate why it is a good idea that a new government could fire the top management of the permanent public service and replace it with their own stooges. You only need to look at Trump to see what a bad idea that is, or to imagine Martin Ferris, Minister for Justice appointing his good republican friend the Shlab as Garda Commissioner.

• Advertisement

Neither have any of you been able to demonstrate why it is a good idea that a new government could fire the top management of the permanent public service and replace it with their own stooges. .............

...probably because neither of us has suggested that happen. A clear out of those who prospered under callinan, replaced by whoever is next in line and who is unassociated with either him or O'Sullivan.

Neither have any of you been able to demonstrate why it is a good idea that a new government could fire the top management of the permanent public service and replace it with their own stooges. You only need to look at Trump to see what a bad idea that is, or to imagine Martin Ferris, Minister for Justice appointing his good republican friend the Shlab as Garda Commissioner.

It's about replacing a system where Garda stoogies are let fester and any decent Garda hounded should they speak up.
    I know we except crony appointments from Fine Gael, but maybe with some transparency we might see less cronyism?
    Your argument suggests we don't already have a Fine Gael 'we look after our own' culture. That's pretty naive. Look how Varadkar backed O'Sullivan and Fitzgerald? An incompetent former minister in my view. And how Flanagan, another incompetent in my view, sits in office. I suppose all the personal drivers where already looked after.

A complete change of the top levels is within the capabilities and right of the Department of Justice and Government. I know we're concerned about hurting feelings here, but that's life. If a company is incompetent and rife with corruption and cronyism the shareholders kick up until the board are removed. However, this is far more serious.

...probably because neither of us has suggested that happen. A clear out of those who prospered under callinan, replaced by whoever is next in line and who is unassociated with either him or O'Sullivan.

It's about looking to fix what is broken and others supplying reasons why we can't or shouldn't.

It's always 'can't' or 'it could be worse' if we even tried, with Fine Gael as we let things rot and fester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I don't think we need to look as far as NK. Radical cultural change was implemented in NI police force, just next to us.
    No need to reinvent the wheel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So sack people because they were of a particular rank but not necessarily because of anything they did or did not do?
    You see nothing wrong with that approach?
    If you worked there, would you be ambitious enough to earn promotions or would you hold back just in case your boss was ever displaced meaning you would be too?

How many people do you think are in Garda management?
    Water John wrote: »
    I don't think we need to look as far as NK. Radical cultural change was implemented in NI police force, just next to us.
    No need to reinvent the wheel.

That's exactly what they did though. A new police force. And I don't think the two can really be compared. The RUC where a part military organisation who didn't represent half the population.

That's exactly what they did though. A new police force. And I don't think the two can really be compared. The RUC where a part military organisation who didn't represent half the population.

Isn't the problem the Garda aren't seen as just, fair or fit for purpose and there's nothing being done? I would suggest that's a big problem and essentially leaving it lie is criminal in itself.

kbannon wrote: »
    So sack people because they were of a particular rank but not necessarily because of anything they did or did not do?
    If you worked there, would you be ambitious enough to earn promotions or would you hold back just in case your boss was ever displaced meaning you would be too?

The brutal facts are that nobody could have risen under callinan if they weren't on-board with his methods. As a result they're complicit one way or the other. We aren't talking about just a bad attitude to clerical work here.

Theres about 40 odd chief superintendents afaik. Any of them associated with O'Sullivan/Callinan have to go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The brutal facts are that nobody could have risen under callinan if they weren't on-board with his methods. As a result they're complicit one way or the other. We aren't talking about just a bad attitude to clerical work here.
    Do you want to answer all of the questions in my post now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Isn't the problem the Garda aren't seen as just, fair or fit for purpose and there's nothing being done? I would suggest that's a big problem and essentially leaving it lie is criminal in itself.
    I don't believe that's true. It's a very general statement. I've had very good dealing with the garda as have many others. It is hardly a shoot in the barrel response that will solve the problems within that organisation.

I don't believe that's true. It's a very general statement. I've had very good dealing with the garda as have many others. It is hardly a shoot in the barrel response that will solve the problems within that organisation.

Your statement is anecdotal. I'm referencing the breath tests, the penalty points removals, the treatment of McCabe.

Individual Garda are people. We get good and bad. It has nothing to do with the broader public perception or my comments based on the recorded actions of the force.

Isn't the problem the Garda aren't seen as just, fair or fit for purpose and there's nothing being done?

No, I don't think so.
    Theres about 40 odd chief superintendents afaik. Any of them associated with O'Sullivan/Callinan have to go.

How do you establish this association?

Your statement is anecdotal. I'm referencing the breath tests, the penalty points removals, the treatment of McCabe.

Individual Garda are people. We get good and bad. It has nothing to do with the broader public perception or my comments based on the recorded actions of the force.
    Maybe but your own post suggested that they were all inclusive in some kind of corruption or other and I don't believe that to be true. There are about 10K of them according to another poster.

Maybe but your own post suggested that they were all inclusive in some kind of corruption or other and I don't believe that to be true. There are about 10K of them according to another poster.

We've been talking about the organisation. I thought that was implied. If it were not systemic there wouldn't be a problem. Equally bizarre is having a Taoiseach who will slag off the DoJ but not lay any responsibility on his ministers past or present.

We've been talking about the organisation. I thought that was implied. If it were not systemic there wouldn't be a problem.
    I don't believe its systemic.

I don't believe its systemic.

The breath tests, written off penalty points and treatment of McCabe would suggest otherwise.

A loaded question which ignores the specific nature of the situation. It would not be possible to rise to a high rank under callinan without his approval. This would require some level of complicity with his 'methods'. |Already we've had a case where a chief superintendent submitted false testimony to a government inquiry. There's been mutiple briefings by other high ranking officers against whistleblowers, and thats only whats in the public realm.

Again, this mistakes the situation for something that can arise in an office with an ordinary boss. There was nothing ordinary about martin callinan, his methods or demands.

How do you establish this association?

.....there are records, obviously.

• Advertisement

The breath tests, written off penalty points and treatment of McCabe would suggest otherwise.
    No it wouldn't.

Advertisement