Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would think that all communication devices used by the head of the Guards who is also the head of the state security service should be logged and stored securely when they are no longer needed.
    You're confusing AGS with a functional and accountable policing body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The sad thing is that some Gardai must know what really happened to these missing phones but they also know what happens to whistleblowers and will be too scared or corrupt to tell the truth. It's a cycle of rot led by senior management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I can see that. But you'd use the same SIM unless it was damaged. I've had the same sim card for near ten years.
    Are we to believe they started from scratch with every new phone?
    It will be interesting if the phones retrieved only have texts to and from Garda Patrol.

The only possibility is if those on the other end of the calls, texts, have theirs. The phone company should have some kind of logs.

Depends on the upgrade phone. Sim may need to have been replaced to fit. Old one would likely be destroyed or wiped for security. Provider may have sent new ones when contract renewed. Have they actually had anyone ion from the communications section to advise on what the procedure usually was?
    I would think that all communication devices used by the head of the Guards who is also the head of the state security service should be logged and stored securely when they are no longer needed.

Why? It's old equipment. I'm surprised they didn't try sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Depends on the upgrade phone. Sim may need to have been replaced to fit. Old one would likely be destroyed or wiped for security. Provider may have sent new ones when contract renewed. Have they actually had anyone ion from the communications section to advise on what the procedure usually was?....

I've drifted to and from Apples to Samsungs and another brand I can't remember. I've changed contracts maybe three times. Same Sim card, (still have the previous phone for back up).

I suppose it's just another case of the self interested favouring bumbling incompetence over possible criminal or unseemly activity. Great little country to do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Why? It's old equipment. I'm surprised they didn't try sell them.

So that they don't fall into the wrong hands and compromise state security. God knows what data could be recovered from phones even if they were "wiped"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

God knows what data could be recovered from phones even if they were "wiped"

Sure isn't that exactly why they have gone missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

RustyNut wrote: »
    Sure isn't that exactly why they have gone missing.

Phone records however can't be altered,

Billing records from her [former Garda Commissioner Noirin O’Sullivan’s] mobile phone will show numerous contacts between her and well-known crime and security journalists between July 2012 and May 2014 when she was deputy commissioner.

“She made 33 phone calls to well-known reporter Paul Williams including conversations lasting up to 20 minutes. The tribunal is expected to ask her to explain ten contacts made with Williams in February, March and April 2014.

“In March that year, Williams wrote two articles after interviewing Ms D, the daughter of the garda who made the sexual allegation against McCabe in 2006, later found by the DPP to be groundless.

“…The former commissioner’s phone records for the same time period show further media contacts. Over the 23-month period, she called RTɒs crime correspondent Paul Reynolds 20 times and Tom Brady, security editor with the Irish Independent, 74 times.”

No phones make proving anything dodgy was going on by anything other than oral conversation (the contents of text messages, and maybe secret email accounts etc) pretty difficult to prove.

No phones make proving anything dodgy was going on by anything other than oral conversation (the contents of text messages, and maybe secret email accounts etc) pretty difficult to prove.
    Hopefully the tribunal remembers to check her Gmail account given its confirmed use in emailing garda info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Maybe they should, but I very much doubt that they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

On the phones issue I think that if they were not supposed to hand them back then I have no issue with them giving them to charities.
    Where i work i have always given old phones to charities.

The thing that should be done is to make it compulsory to hand them in from now on.

• Advertisement

On the phones issue I think that if they were not supposed to hand them back then I have no issue with them giving them to charities.
    Where i work i have always given old phones to charities.

The thing that should be done is to make it compulsory to hand them in from now on.

Personally I think the story that they were given to charity is slightly less believable than that of the tooth fairy.

Personally I think the story that they were given to charity is slightly less believable than that of the tooth fairy.
    Maybe BUT if they were no regulations to keep them or give them back then what law have they broken?
    They should make it compulsory from now on.

Maybe BUT if they were no regulations to keep them or give them back then what law have they broken?

Loopholes shouldn't be excused.

It could be argued that the phones contained crucial evidence.

If it could be proved that they were disposed of in full knowledge that they did indeed contain crucial evidence, they should be prosecuted.

Like the personal papers being shredded, 10 x bags full sir - according to reports, then the phones became 'Unretrievable'.

Of course it is too late now to prove anything, but the optics point to one thing and one thing only.

I can't believe some people would defend their actions tbh.

Loopholes shouldn't be excused.

It could be argued that the phones contained crucial evidence.

If it could be proved that they were disposed of in full knowledge that they did indeed contain crucial evidence, they should be prosecuted.

Like the personal papers being shredded, 10 x bags full sir - according to reports, then the phones became 'Unretrievable'.

Of course it is too late now to prove anything, but the optics point to one thing and one thing only.

I can't believe some people would defend their actions tbh.

Ah would you stop. If there's no requirement on you to do something that's not a loophole.

Ah would you stop. If there's no requirement on you to do something that's not a loophole.
    If those overseeing national security don't have rules and procedures in place to protect national security then what use are they?
    The giving of the phones to anyone outside of AGS is a disgrace.

I once was involved in the development and support of an app used by a pharma company on Motorola hand held devices. These had patient info on them. Before decommissioning the instruction by the pharma was to wipe each device and then have the devices professionally destroyed with certificates if destruction to be given back to the pharma company.
    ...and AGS hand devices over to a charity?

If those overseeing national security don't have rules and procedures in place to protect national security then what use are they?
    The giving of the phones to anyone outside of AGS is a disgrace.

I once was involved in the development and support of an app used by a pharma company on Motorola hand held devices. These had patient info on them. Before decommissioning the instruction by the pharma was to wipe each device and then have the devices professionally destroyed with certificates if destruction to be given back to the pharma company.
    Brilliant for them and you BUT again if it wasn't the procedure then there was nothing stopping them from giving the phones to charity.

It should be rectified now though.

Brilliant for them and you BUT again if it wasn't the procedure then there was nothing stopping them from giving the phones to charity.

Do both of you believe the phones were given to charity?

Simple yes or no.

Do both of you believe the phones were given to charity?

Simple yes or no.

I don't know.
    Our entire team at work gave our old phones to charity anyway.
    The point of the matter is that they hand them in from now on.

I don't know.
    Our entire team at work gave our old phones to charity anyway.
    The point of the matter is that they hand them in from now on.

I don't think you believe it Tayto, I know you're more savvy than that.

But just on your team at work that give their old phones to charity, do these old phones have potentially sensitive data on them, possibly relating to official police business, state security, and possible sensitive information on individuals, private citizen or otherwise?

I don't think you believe it Tayto, I know you're more savvy than that.

But just on your team at work that give their old phones to charity, do these old phones have potentially sensitive data on them, possibly relating to official police business, state security, and possible sensitive information on individuals, private citizen or otherwise?
    No. BUT that's not the point now.
    The garda phones didn't have to be handed in and weren't.
    It should now be made compulsory to do so. They should have been handed in all along but it was not the case that it was done so whether there was anything that implicated them in anything is irrelevent as they're gone now.

• Advertisement

No. BUT that's not the point now.
    The garda phones didn't have to be handed in and weren't.
    It should now be made compulsory to do so. They should have been handed in all along but it was not the case that it was done so whether there was anything that implicated them in anything is irrelevent as they're gone now.

You cannot really blame someone for not following best practice if best practice was not the policy that was in place. Then to attribute it to deception afterwards is an even bigger stretch with nothing at all to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

How many phones outside of these highly significant phones do you think are usually given to charity?!

And why are phones even being given away?! Why weren't they simply redistributed to staff. You know why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Allegedly......

givyjoe wrote: »
    How many phones outside of these highly significant phones do you think are usually given to charity?!

And why are phones even being given away?! Why weren't they simply redistributed to staff. You know why though.

I don't know why. I know ours were given to charity as charities wrote to our firm looking for them.
    We can all guess, suspect or even believe why they weren't kept in the garda but the fact is it's irrelevent now as it was not compulsory to keep them. It's a bit like all the RTE presenters asking Gerry Adams if he was in the IRA. Irrelevent what they thought.

I don't know why. I know ours were given to charity as charities wrote to our firm looking for them.
    We can all guess, suspect or even believe why they weren't kept in the garda but the fact is it's irrelevent now as it was not compulsory to keep them. It's a bit like all the RTE presenters asking Gerry Adams if he was in the IRA. Irrelevent what they thought.

Irrelevant?! Ha, whatever you say.

Irrelevant?! Ha, whatever you say.

That's the point. The phones are gone and cannot be retrieved so what they held is now irrelevent as such.

That's the point. The phones are gone and cannot be retrieved so what they held is now irrelevent as such.

The point is clearly how and why they were disposed of!

The point is clearly how and why they were disposed of!

But they have told why -- charity. Handed over I suspect or placed in a charity shop container.
    Whether anyone believes it or not is neither here nor there.
    Bye the way i'm not taking their side in this i'm just stating what we know.

But they have told why -- charity. Handed over I suspect or placed in a charity shop container.

Ah sure that explains everything so!

• Advertisement

Who did?
    While it was suggested some phones went to the Jack and Jill Children's Foundation for recycling, Supt Flynn said there was no evidence the 12 missing phones went to the charity.

Advertisement