Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

In many ways Callinan had no choice but to keep up the lies. Tangled web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

blanch152 wrote: »
    A very edited picture of Shatter's evidence.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0517/964221-disclosures-tribunal-alan-shatter/

"Mr Shatter said Mr Callinan had put the information in a manner that was sympathetically disposed towards Sgt McCabe."

Hardly a campaign to discredit him?

Are you for real? Perhaps you might explain to us how one can be "sympathetically disposed" when spreading malicious rumours about someone being a kiddle fiddler? :rolleyes:

Again let us remind ourselves of the words of the confidential recipient Oliver Connolly who gives us a remarkable insight into the modus operandi of Alan Shatter:-
    I’ll tell you something Maurice and this is just personal advice to you. If Shatter thinks your screwing him, you’re finished.... If Shatter thinks it’s you, if he thinks or is told by the Commissioner or the Gardaí here’s this guy again trying another route trying to put pressure on, he’ll go after you”

Let us not forget that barrister Oliver Connolly was a close confidant of Alan Shatter. Shatter appointed him as the Confidental Recipient and had also appointed him and his company Friary Law as mediators in the Courts Service. Connolly donated money to Shatters election campaign and is a card carrying Fine Gaeler. If anyone knows the character of Shatter it is Oliver Connolly and the above quote is just a snapshot of how Shatter viewed Maurice McCabe.

]
    Shatter also echoed the previous Tribunal which found that McCabe was prone to exaggeration:

"He said that in the course of making valid claims, Sgt McCabe made a number of serious allegations on garda corruption and deleting of material on the garda Pulse system, which were not sustained."

"He said some of the whistleblower's claims were right, some were exaggerated and there was no evidence for others.

I was at the Tribunal yesterday and a lot of Shatters answers in relation to McCabes whistleblowing kept speaking of "some allegations were incorrect". He said it time and time again. However to say "some" is nothing more than weasel words because the records show that of all the allegations McCabe made he was correct 94% of the time (Ive posted the calculation for this before, will dig it out in due course). So for Shatter to keep repeating that McCabe got some allegations wrong was completely disingenious when that "some" represents a paltry 6% of all allegations leveled. But Shatter is that kind of politician, always trying to twist and spin events to portray himself in a positive light. Judge Charleton certainly wasnt buying it and many journalists there were rolling their eyes during his testimony.

Under questioning yesterday he was also full of self pity too saying he was being pilloried by the public for his role in the scandal. Even now his arrogance wont let him see how badly he messed it all up for himself. He backed the wrong horse in Callinan and it ended up getting him sacked by Enda Kenny. But in Shatters mind it is always someone elses fault, his bitterness comes across very strongly- not only did he try to blame McCabe yesterday he also got digs in at Michael Flahive and Sean Guerin too. Everyone is to blame for this mess except poor Alan.
    Mr Shatter said the sergeant had made allegations that nine individuals had died in accidents due to non-enforcement of fines for non-payment of fixed charge penalty notices.

He said that was incorrect and had been dealt with in an internal garda inquiry, but kept resurfacing."

Again I heard Shatter make this claim that no-one died due to the penalty points scandal. It raised my eyebrows because I certainly remember reading an article (Mick Clifford iirc) that outlined several cases of death by dangerous driving committed by drivers who had points wiped. IIRC the most extreme case was a man clocked at well over 150kph on multiple occasions but always had his point wiped. He then went on to kill at least one person in a RTA. Furthermore "internal Garda inquiry" is usually code for an AGS senior management cover up as we have seen time and time again.
    Shatter is about the only one who appears to have been telling the truth the whole time. The rest of them, from Callinan to McCabe to Taylor have serious question marks over their evidence.

Are you saying McCabe lied in his evidence. It is quite an allegation. Can you point this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Muahahaha wrote: »

Are you saying McCabe lied in his evidence. It is quite an allegation. Can you point this out.

I never said he lied. I said there are serious question marks over his evidence, after all, the Tribunal concluded he was prone to exaggeration, a description that would fit my statement.

I never said he lied. I said there are serious question marks over his evidence, after all, the Tribunal concluded he was prone to exaggeration, a description that would fit my statement.

You said that Shatter is telling the truth and then name checked Maurice McCabe, Callinan and Taylor as people who were not telling the truth. Heres what you said-
    Shatter is about the only one who appears to have been telling the truth the whole time. The rest of them, from Callinan to McCabe to Taylor have serious question marks over their evidence.

Now if that isnt casting aspersions over the honesty of Maurice McCabe I dont know what is. You are clearly saying Shatter is truthful and McCabe is not.

So perhaps you might explain how there are "serious question marks over his evidence"? What are these "serious questions"? You seem to be just flinging out claims to blacken the name of McCabe so it is important that you back them up.

And also you might explain how you agree that McCabe is prone to exaggeration when 94% of his allegations were proven to be correct, a point even acknowledged by Callinan himself during yesterdays evidence. Does having just 6% of allegations unproven mean that McCabe is prone to exaggeration in your mind or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭emo72

It's as if a FG minister must be protected over everything else. The party must be protected.

• Advertisement

You said that Shatter is telling the truth and then name checked Maurice McCabe, Callinan and Taylor as people who were not telling the truth. Heres what you said-

Now if that isnt casting aspersions over the honesty of Maurice McCabe I dont know what is. You are clearly saying Shatter is truthful and McCabe is not.

So perhaps you might explain how there are "serious question marks over his evidence"? What are these "serious questions"? You seem to be just flinging out claims to blacken the name of McCabe so it is important that you back them up.

And also you might explain how you agree that McCabe is prone to exaggeration when 94% of his allegations were proven to be correct, a point even acknowledged by Callinan himself during yesterdays evidence. Does having just 6% of allegations unproven mean that McCabe is prone to exaggeration in your mind or something?

If a Tribunal has found that a person is liable to exaggerate, then how can you disagree with a statement that there are question marks over his evidence?

This is not my opinion, this is the opinion of a Tribunal chairman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

If a Tribunal has found that a person is liable to exaggerate, then how can you disagree with a statement that there are question marks over his evidence?

I think that was also said in the O'Higgins report.

So now you are saying we are not allowed to disagree with the opinions of judges or something? Do you blindly agree to the opinions of everyone in authority? Futhermore it is your opinion, here is what you actually said
    the Tribunal concluded he was prone to exaggeration, a description that would fit my statement.

I noticed you completely ignored my questions to you in the previous post. You have attempted to blacken the name of Maurice McCabe on here by insinuating that he is not telling the truth. It is a serious allegation which requires serious proof on your behalf. As someone who has read the OHiggins Commission report in its entirety I certainly cannot see where you are coming from here except as an attempt to cast aspersions on Maurice McCabe by saying Alan Shatter is telling the truth and he is not. So I will ask you again:-

1.In relation to Maurice McCabe list the serious question marks that you have over his evidence. Identify the exact question marks you have been speaking about in your previous post.
    2. Given that 94% of the allegations leveled by McCabe were proven to be true tell us how is it you agree with the opinion of OHiggins that he is prone to exaggeration? Please explain how somebody can be correct 94% of the time yet be exaggerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

emo72 wrote: »
    It's as if a FG minister must be protected over everything else. The party must be protected.

This is one of a very small number of key reasons why I will not consider voting for FG until they experience a massive culture change. You saw this with Alan Shatter and subsequently with Frances FitzGerald - the job of the parliamentary party should not be to protect its own ministers, it should be to scrutinise them, hold them accountable, and insist that they step down if they f*ck up.

It shouldn't require a minority government for there to be proper consequences for ministerial blunders or wrongdoings, that is an utterly ridiculous paradigm for a parliamentary democracy.

So now you are saying we are not allowed to disagree with the opinions of judges or something? Do you blindly agree to the opinions of everyone in authority? Futhermore it is your opinion, here is what you actually said

I noticed you completely ignored my questions to you in the previous post. You have attempted to blacken the name of Maurice McCabe on here by insinuating that he is not telling the truth. It is a serious allegation which requires serious proof on your behalf. As someone who has read the OHiggins Commission report in its entirety I certainly cannot see where you are coming from here except as an attempt to cast aspersions on Maurice McCabe by saying Alan Shatter is telling the truth and he is not. So I will ask you again:-

1.In relation to Maurice McCabe list the serious question marks that you have over his evidence. Identify the exact question marks you have been speaking about in your previous post.
    2. Given that 94% of the allegations leveled by McCabe were proven to be true tell us how is it you agree with the opinion of OHiggins that he is prone to exaggeration? Please explain how somebody can be correct 94% of the time yet be exaggerating.

I have said to you that the man is prone to exaggeration, as concluded by a judge. I don't need any more evidence than that to defend my opinion.

Are you now saying that you disagree with the conclusion of the Tribunal and the O'Higgins Report that Maurice McCabe is prone to exaggeration?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0509/787248-ohiggins-report-maurice-mccabe/

"It said he was "a dedicated and committed member" of An Garda Síochána, but "prone to exaggeration", and while some of his complaints were upheld, others were proven to be "overstated", "exaggerated", "unfounded” and ultimately "withdrawn"."

The figure of 94% is a makey-up figure, not based on any actual finding of a judge.

As for Alan Shatter, he keeps winning all the cases he took after losing his job.

• Advertisement

I have said to you that the man is prone to exaggeration, as concluded by a judge. I don't need any more evidence than that to defend my opinion.

Nice to see you admit that you form your opinions from people in authority without questioning them first. By your own logic you believed the Guildford 4 and Birmingham Six were guilty too, after all a judge said so and in your own words "I dont need any more evidence than that" :rolleyes:
    Are you now saying that you disagree with the conclusion of the Tribunal and the O'Higgins Report that Maurice McCabe is prone to exaggeration?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0509/787248-ohiggins-report-maurice-mccabe/

"It said he was "a dedicated and committed member" of An Garda Síochána, but "prone to exaggeration", and while some of his complaints were upheld, others were proven to be "overstated", "exaggerated", "unfounded” and ultimately "withdrawn"."

Ah I see what you have done there- it is called selective quoting. Here is what OHiggins actually said "McCabe was never less than truthful in his evidence even if prone to exaggeration at times"

So now you find yourself in the awkward position where you have tried to slur the name of McCabe by saying there are serious question marks over his evidence and insinuating that he is not telling the truth. You came to this conclusion because (as you said) your opinion has been formed by Judge OHiggins and you do not need any more evidence than that. But the very same judge in the very same sentence (the part you left out of your selective quote) has said that McCabe "was never less than truthful"

So I ask you again how McCabe how is it you feel Shatter is telling the truth but McCabe is not? This was your insinuation in your earlier post but you still have not backed it up. And now it turns out even Judge OHiggins does not tally with your opinion which is rather ironic seeing as you formed your opinion from what Judge OHiggins said.
    The figure of 94% is a makey-up figure, not based on any actual finding of a judge.

Yet again you are wrong. OHiggins found that Sgt McCabe’s complaint in all but one of a dozen other instances were justified and upheld.

But the above only refers to the Baileboro allegations. When we add up all of McCabes allegations at the OHiggins commission together the running total is as follows:-

Allegations of malpractice in Baileboro =12
    Allegations of malpractice on Pulse = 180
    Allegations Vs Callinan & 2 x Assistant Commissioners = 3

Total allegations =195
    Total found to be true =191
    Total found to be unproven =4

Fact of the matter is blanch152 of the 195 allegations made by McCabe that OHiggins reported on 97.4% were deemed to be true. Yet here we are with you on a public forum calling Maurice McCabe untruthful, despite OHiggins, the judge whose opinions you say are sufficient, stating that McCabe "was never less than truthful"

Are you now going to withdraw your claim that Shatter is the only one telling the truth in his evidence and that insinuated that McCabe is not? Because I have asked you several times now to provide your evidence for this slur on MauriceMcCabes good name up and it is clear that you have not been able to do so. If you cannot then you should do the honourable thing and withdraw that insinuation that McCabe is not being truthful in his evidence.
    As for Alan Shatter, he keeps winning all the cases he took after losing his job.

Just like Trump Shatter is forever winning bigly. Despite your hero being sacked, humiliated and roundly rejected by his own constituency he is definitely winning bigly here ;)

Nice to see you admit that you form your opinions from people in authority without questioning them first. By your own logic you believed the Guildford 4 and Birmingham Six were guilty too, after all a judge said so and in your own words "I dont need any more evidence than that" :rolleyes:

Ah I see what you have done there- it is called selective quoting. Here is what OHiggins actually said "McCabe was never less than truthful in his evidence even if prone to exaggeration at times"

So now you find yourself in the awkward position where you have tried to slur the name of McCabe by saying there are serious question marks over his evidence and insinuating that he is not telling the truth. You came to this conclusion because (as you said) your opinion has been formed by Judge OHiggins and you do not need any more evidence than that. But the very same judge in the very same sentence (the part you left out of your selective quote) has said that McCabe "was never less than truthful"

So I ask you again how McCabe how is it you feel Shatter is telling the truth but McCabe is not? This was your insinuation in your earlier post but you still have not backed it up. And now it turns out even Judge OHiggins does not tally with your opinion which is rather ironic seeing as you formed your opinion from what Judge OHiggins said.

Yet again you are wrong. OHiggins found that Sgt McCabe’s complaint in all but one of a dozen other instances were justified and upheld.

But the above only refers to the Baileboro allegations. When we add up all of McCabes allegations at the OHiggins commission together the running total is as follows:-

Total allegations =195

Fact of the matter is blanch152 of the 195 allegations made by McCabe that OHiggins reported on 97.4% were deemed to be true. Yet here we are with you on a public forum calling Maurice McCabe untruthful, despite OHiggins, the judge whose opinions you say are sufficient, stating that McCabe "was never less than truthful"

Are you now going to withdraw your claim that Shatter is the only one telling the truth in his evidence and that insinuated that McCabe is not? Because I have asked you several times now to provide your evidence for this slur on MauriceMcCabes good name up and it is clear that you have not been able to do so. If you cannot then you should do the honourable thing and withdraw that insinuation that McCabe is not being truthful in his evidence.

Just like Trump Shatter is forever winning bigly. Despite your hero being sacked, humiliated and roundly rejected by his own constituency he is definitely winning bigly here ;)

That poster quoted straight from a news report so if you want to accuse someone of selective quoting then go and accuse RTE. I notice you had no issue also reporting straight from a news report which also selectively quotes from the report. You also have a go at the poster for believing the words of a judge when that is exactly what the O'Higgins report is and what you are relying on to dispute him. Maybe you should impose on yourself the same standards of proof you impose on others before having a go at them.

Total allegations =195

This is what I said:

"Shatter is about the only one who appears to have been telling the truth the whole time. The rest of them, from Callinan to McCabe to Taylor have serious question marks over their evidence."

To challenge the statement, you first need to demonstrate that Shatter isn't telling the truth. And remember I said "appears to have been telling the truth" so I wasn't conclusive on it. We can wait and see.

Secondly, there are clear holes in the evidence given by Taylor and Callinan to the Charleton Tribunal. If I am wrong and they have both been fully truthful and the judge believes them, I will apologise. Thirdly, O'Higgins found that McCabe was prone to exaggeration.

Now if you want to canonise Maurice McCabe, off you go. Like most, he had done some good and some bad, mostly good in his case, but he was not vindicated on all counts, that is a fact and a reality.

If you want to construct elaborate mathematical constructs of 94% truth or 97% truth, remember that is an unweighted calculation. I don't know how you did it, but imagine if a whistleblower next week said that 194 penalty points were wiped and the last three Garda Commissioners got away with six murders between them, would it be enough to say they were 97% correct if they were right about the penalty points and wrong about the murders? It is a silly worthless mathematical exercise at best to calculate your 94%.

As for Shatter winning bigly, I felt the man was hard done by at the time. To date there has been very little evidence that he did anything wrong. Taking his eye off the Gardai and trusting both Garda management and his own Justice staff seem to have been his biggest problem.

That poster quoted straight from a news report so if you want to accuse someone of selective quoting then go and accuse RTE. I notice you had no issue also reporting straight from a news report which also selectively quotes from the report. You also have a go at the poster for believing the words of a judge when that is exactly what the O'Higgins report is and what you are relying on to dispute him. Maybe you should impose on yourself the same standards of proof you impose on others before having a go at them.

Oh look, here comes the cavalry :D The same poster who I had to hold the hand of last week over the the Dave Taylor affair, sheesh.

Here is what blanch152 posted about McCabe
    And here is what Judge OHiggins said
    McCabe was never less than truthful in his evidence even if prone to exaggeration at times

Now blanch152 is on record here that he accepts the judges opinion. So does that mean he accepts McCabe is being truthful? Clearly this is not the case because he has insinuated that McCabe is not truthful. I mean he cant have it both ways and split a sentence of OHiggins in two and then just chose the words "prone to exaggeration" because it suits his agenda and actually leave out the main jist of the judges sentence which clearly stated that McCabe was never less than truthful. I mean which is it, does he accept the judges opinion or does he not? Only he can answer that question but so far is doing everything to dodge it
    This is what I said:
    "Shatter is about the only one who appears to have been telling the truth the whole time. The rest of them, from Callinan to McCabe to Taylor have serious question marks over their evidence."

To challenge the statement, you first need to demonstrate that Shatter isn't telling the truth. And remember I said "appears to have been telling the truth" so I wasn't conclusive on it. We can wait and see.

Secondly, there are clear holes in the evidence given by Taylor and Callinan to the Charleton Tribunal. If I am wrong and they have both been fully truthful and the judge believes them, I will apologise. Thirdly, O'Higgins found that McCabe was prone to exaggeration
    But never less than truthful. Again please stop trying to spin OHiggins judgement to suit your agenda against McCabe. I have already called you out on this so please do not continue attempting to deceive people on here by only posting half the sentence. It is disingenuous in the extreme and below the level of debate expected here. At a minimum you should be holding your hands up and admitting you got that quote by OHiggins wrong because it mislead people.
    Now if you want to canonise Maurice McCabe, off you go. Like most, he had done some good and some bad, mostly good in his case, but he was not vindicated on all counts, that is a fact and a reality.

It is kind of funny but Shatter also used that exact point at the Tribunal last Thursday. He kept on banging the drum that some allegations did not stack up. Given Maurices 97.4% accuracy record it was nothing more than weasel words, a fact that even Callinan concended at the Tribunal the following day.

If you want to construct elaborate mathematical constructs of 94% truth or 97% truth, remember that is an unweighted calculation. I don't know how you did it, but imagine if a whistleblower next week said that 194 penalty points were wiped and the last three Garda Commissioners got away with six murders between them, would it be enough to say they were 97% correct if they were right about the penalty points and wrong about the murders? It is a silly worthless mathematical exercise at best to calculate your 94%.

Astonishing that I am now being accused of constructing elaborate mathematical equations when I am absolutely useless at maths :pac: There is nothing elaborate about the fact that McCabe made 195 allegations and 191 of them were found by OHiggins to be correct. Now I know that completely blows your insinuation that McCabes evidence was not truthful out of the water but I am dealing in facts here. And just as an aside (and you wont like this either) McCabe actually made over 1,000 allegations in total, Noirin even gave him an office in the Park to compile his dossier. However OHiggins did not have the time to examine all of them so 180 were selected as a sample. If the entire amount were examined we would no doubt be looking at an accuracy level of over 99%. Which would now suggest that you are calling McCabe untruthful because he got less than 1% of allegations wrong.
    As for Shatter winning bigly, I felt the man was hard done by at the time. To date there has been very little evidence that he did anything wrong. Taking his eye off the Gardoai and trusting both Garda management and his own Justice staff seem to have been his biggest problem.

Hard done by? Done nothing wrong? His own incompetence resulted in everything that happened to him. Poor Alan has no-one but to blame but himself. Look at the timelines- Daly and Wallace were screaming at him for over a year about the mess in AGS but he simply would not listen. Had he of listened then maybe he would have done the right thing and fired Callinan and installed a reforming Commissioner. But he chose not to do that, instead your hero decided to slur Wallaces name in public with the idle gossip provided to him by Callinan. I mean there can be no doubt here that Daly and Wallace got it spot on and your hero Shatter didnt and subsequently paid for it by being sacked, first by Enda Kenny and then by his own electorate in south Dublin. The people spoke and they rejected Shatter as a TD, perhaps that is not to your taste but thats democracy.

How do you square the description of him as truthful with the description of him as prone to exaggeration? Are they not a little mutually exclusive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭emo72

an exaggeration isnt a lie.

calling someone a kiddy fiddler, when they arent isnt an exaggeration either. thats an actual lie.

How do you square the description of him as truthful with the description of him as prone to exaggeration? Are they not a little mutually exclusive?

Not necessarily, context is everything. For example McCabes statement submitted to Judge Charleton stated that when he was under questioning at OHiggins Colm Smyth was shouting at him. Here is the transcript
    “The hearings were highly adversarial and I broke down on a number of occasions due to the ferocity of the attack by counsel for the commissioner [O’Sullivan]. I had to seek medical attention. Her counsel did not cross-examine anybody but me in a similar fashion. I had no issue with the vigorous cross-examination I was subject to by the other legal teams [. . .]. They were doing their job to protect their clients and were thoroughly professional but took grave exception to the pejorative and hostile tone adopted by Colm Smyth SC, so much so that on a number of occasions I had to say ‘Mr Smyth please stop shouting’.”

Afterwards the tapes from OHiggins showed that Colm Smyth SC was being robust in his questioning but that he was not shouting. Judge Charleton asked McCabe was this an example of him being prone to exaggeration. Chareton said
    Sometimes a person reliving an experience, in order to get it across, tries to “put emotion into it and perhaps too many words come out that otherwise don’t necessarily reflect the objective reality. Is this an instance of that?”

“It probably is, judge,” McCabe replied, “and I apologise”.

OHiggins said he was nothing less than truthful but prone to exaggeration. The above context shows how one is exclusive from the other. Obviously blanch152 wont agree with that but sure he is on record as saying that he accepts Judge OHiggins ruling but at the same time only accepts one half of the sentence and does not accept that McCabe is "nothing less than truthful". Which is a very bizarre position to place yourself in but he has done just that today.

Im still waiting to hear from blanch152 about these "serious questions" he says that McCabe has to answer over his evidence. This is now the third occasion I have asked for his "serious questions" so he can back up his insinuation that McCabe is not telling the truth. If blanch152 can not back up his own allegations on McCabes evidence then he should do the honourable thing and apologise and withdraw his smear on Maurice McCabes character.

Not necessarily, context is everything. For example McCabes statement submitted to Judge Charleton stated that when he was under questioning at OHiggins Colm Smyth was shouting at him. Here is the transcript

Afterwards the tapes from OHiggins showed that Colm Smyth SC was being robust in his questioning but that he was not shouting. Judge Charleton asked McCabe was this an example of him being prone to exaggeration. Chareton said

OHiggins said he was nothing less than truthful but prone to exaggeration. The above context shows how one is exclusive from the other. Obviously blanch152 wont agree with that but sure he is on record as saying that he accepts Judge OHiggins ruling but at the same time only accepts one half of the sentence and does not accept that McCabe is "nothing less than truthful". Which is a very bizarre position to place yourself in but he has done just that today.

I'd agree that they aren't necessarily exclusive. I'd argue a person who is prone to exaggeration is not a completely reliable witness even if they are being truthful because either their recollection or their recounting may not be accurate. So he can be truthful yet still have a question mark over his evidence due to the possible exaggeration.

Now blanch152 is on record here that he accepts the judges opinion. So does that mean he accepts McCabe is being truthful? Clearly this is not the case because he has insinuated that McCabe is not truthful. .

Again, if a man is prone to exaggeration, there must be questions about his evidence when he gives it. That does not mean he is untruthful. You don't need to twist my words which were carefully posted.

Your lengthy defences of McCabe cannot take away from that conclusion.

I'd agree that they aren't necessarily exclusive. I'd argue a person who is prone to exaggeration is not a completely reliable witness even if they are being truthful because either their recollection or their recounting may not be accurate. So he can be truthful yet still have a question mark over his evidence due to the possible exaggeration.

Exactly, it is amazing how some people don't understand how simple that conclusion is.

• Advertisement

Im still waiting to hear from blanch152 about these "serious questions" he says that McCabe has to answer over his evidence. This is now the third occasion I have asked for his "serious questions" so he can back up his insinuation that McCabe is not telling the truth. If blanch152 can not back up his own allegations on McCabes evidence then he should do the honourable thing and apologise and withdraw his smear on Maurice McCabes character.

A very good example of McCabe's propensity to exaggeration.

Colm Smyth was not shouting at him. He was being robust in his questioning.

Can you imagine how that would look in a domestic violence case or a resisting arrest case? I have never said that McCabe was untruthful, I have said that given the judges' conclusions there must be questions over McCabe's evidence. As simple as that.

Again, if a man is prone to exaggeration, there must be questions about his evidence when he gives it. That does not mean he is untruthful. You don't need to twist my words which were carefully posted.

Your lengthy defences of McCabe cannot take away from that conclusion.

Oh but blanch152 I am not twisting your words. Again let me remind you of what you said

I mean you dont need me or anyone else to even twist what you yourself claimed. It is clear as day from the above that you believe Shatter is the only one telling the truth and that McCabe, Callinan and Taylor are not. These are your words and now you are attempting to wriggle out of them instead of providing us with your claimed evidence that McCabe is untruthful.

So you have now been asked three times to list the "serious questions" that you said McCabe has to answer and yet you still cannot list these serious questions. Which means you have failed to back up your insinuation that McCabe is not telling the truth. This shows me and other posters that you are only here to slur the name of McCabe - because if you dont have anything to back up your allegations (and it is clear as day now that you do not) then your allegation that he is not telling the truth is nothing more than a slur and a defamation on a man who has been proven to be of honest and trustworthy character, something which countless people who have engaged with him have said.

Your blackening of McCabes name on here, in a public forum without a scintilla of evidence to back it up, is frankly disgusting. McCabe is a man who has been proven to be correct in 97.4% of the allegations he has made yet here you are calling into question his honesty. For shame, even your hero Alan Shatter has not stooped this low.

Not only that but you have tried to spin and twist OHiggins words. You said earlier today that you accept his opinion (that McCabe was prone to exaggeration) so is it the case that you do not accept that the other half of the sentence that you selectively quoted, i.e. OHiggins stating that McCabe has been nothing short of truthful. If not then what mental gymnastics do you propose to shore up this most bizarre of positions, being that you agree with one half of OHiggins sentence but not the other :confused:

Oh but blanch152 I am not twisting your words. Again let me remind you of what you said

I mean you dont need me or anyone else to even twist what you yourself claimed. It is clear as day from the above that you believe Shatter is the only one telling the truth and that McCabe, Callinan and Taylor are not. These are your words and now you are attempting to wriggle out of them instead of providing us with your claimed evidence that McCabe is untruthful.

So you have now been asked three times to list the "serious questions" that you said McCabe has to answer and yet you still cannot list these serious questions. Which means you have failed to back up your insinuation that McCabe is not telling the truth. This shows me and other posters that you are only here to slur the name of McCabe - because if you dont have anything to back up your allegations (and it is clear as day now that you do not) then your allegation that he is not telling the truth is nothing more than a slur and a defamation on a man who has been proven to be of honest and trustworthy character, something which countless people who have engaged with him have said.

Your blackening of McCabes name on here, in a public forum without a scintilla of evidence to back it up, is frankly disgusting. McCabe is a man who has been proven to be correct in 97.4% of the allegations he has made yet here you are calling into question his honesty. For shame, even your hero Alan Shatter has not stooped this low.

Not only that but you have tried to spin and twist OHiggins words. You said earlier today that you accept his opinion (that McCabe was prone to exaggeration) so is it the case that you do not accept that the other half of the sentence that you selectively quoted, i.e. OHiggins stating that McCabe has been nothing short of truthful. If not then what mental gymnastics do you propose to shore up this most bizarre of positions, being that you agree with one half of OHiggins sentence but not the other :confused:

97.4%, is as I have pointed out already a very bizarre and spurious mathematical calculation. However, you have only proved my point. If McCabe, as you suggest (not me), has not been telling the truth 2.6% of the time, then by definition, he is not fully truthful. You are saying he tells less than the full truth, I only say there must be serious questions about his evidence. My conclusion at least allows that he may be 100% truthful, yours doesn't.

It is actually quite strange that you accuse me of attacking McCabe, when you only have him only as 97.4% truthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Or he just couldn't PROVE the other 2.6% . I'm sure even you would concede gathering evidence from within the Garda seems to be pretty difficult , even for a tribunal.

Now let's imagine you are a whisteblower ?

Questioning McCabe at this stage while ignoring serious issues relating to others suggests a strange agenda by certain posters .

97.4%, is as I have pointed out already a very bizarre and spurious mathematical calculation. However, you have only proved my point. If McCabe, as you suggest (not me), has not been telling the truth 2.6% of the time, then by definition, he is not fully truthful. You are saying he tells less than the full truth, I only say there must be serious questions about his evidence. My conclusion at least allows that he may be 100% truthful, yours doesn't.

It is actually quite strange that you accuse me of attacking McCabe, when you only have him only as 97.4% truthful.

haha jaysis man do you ever stop digging that large hole you are in ? There you go again in another vain attempt to twist things- I said that of all the allegations McCabe has made 97.4% have been deemed to be correct. They were judged to be correct by Judge OHiggins, you know that same judge you said of earlier that you accept his rulings. Funny enough it seems now you do not, it is quite the 180 degree turn you are trying to perform here. It is really just more obfuscation from you, your hero Shatter would send you a nice little pat on the head :pac:

What I said was that McCabes allegations were correct 97.4% of the time, the remaining were unproven. Unproven does not mean he is telling lies, it means there was insufficient evidence for the claims. Both OHiggins and Charleton have complained extensively that they are not getting co-operation from the Gardai so is it any wonder some allegations have found to be unproven when the Gardai are disappearing every relevant mobile phone into the bin and while they have the shredder running on overtime ?

In any case one of McCabes unproven claims was that Callinan was corrupt but Francis Fitzgerald would not allow the allegations of Callinans involvement in the Kieran Boylan heroin trafficking affair to be included in the terms of reference. This was because she knew well that if that can of worms was opened then the whole government would collapse. So while McCabe claimed Callinan was corrupt the Commission wasnt even allowed to examine his role in the Kieran Boylan affair, the one issue that would allowed a true judgement on whether or not he was corrupt. But of course a convicted heroin trafficker had to be protected at all costs, from "a very high level" according to the DPP barrister- sure we couldnt have the Gardai shown up as dealing in the heroin trade now could we?

Finally earlier you have called my rather simple maths "elaborate" and now you are calling them "bizarre and spurious". Can you please point out how these simple maths which show Maurice McCabe to be correct in 97.4% of his allegations are elaborate, bizarre and spurious. I mean they are as simple as it gets for a mathematical simpleton like me

McCabes allegations at the OHiggins commission:-

Total allegations =195

I mean given the above simple facts how on gods earth are you still even trying to argue that Maurice McCabe is anything but bang on the money when it comes to his whistleblowing? I think even if he hit the 100% mark you would still be on here posting trying to blacken and slur his name and all because he ran rings around your hero Shatter and his buddy Oliver Connolly. I know you are still hurting over that affair but there is no need to let it cloud your judgement and lead you into delusion. McCabe is a superb whistleblower, can you not even admit what is clearly staring you in the face :confused: Or is your loyalty to Shatter preventing you from seeing the wood for the trees :confused:

Is it really that hard for you to accept that some people just don't agree with your high opinion of McCabe?

Your 97.4% figure is unusual. I haven't read the O'Higgins report recently but from what I remember there were many of McCabes assertions that weren't backed up in each individual incident. O'Higgins agreed that overall the individual incidents had deficiencies in their investigation and if that's all you look at you could give him a 100% I guess but it certainly isn't accurate to say he was 100% correct in everything he said. And what 180 PULSE incidents are you referring to? He leaked the details of thousands of FCPS cancellations. What about those? Most of them were legitimate cancellations. Why aren't you counting them? I'd agree with a claim that he was right more often than not but your sticking to this 97.4% figure is silly.

Annd9 wrote: »
    Or he just couldn't PROVE the other 2.6% . I'm sure even you would concede gathering evidence from within the Garda seems to be pretty difficult , even for a tribunal.

Now let's imagine you are a whisteblower ?

Questioning McCabe at this stage while ignoring serious issues relating to others suggests a strange agenda by certain posters .

I included McCabe in a list with Taylor and Callinan as people who had questions over their evidence. That isn't ignoring serious issues relating to others.

There is an awful lot of preciousness around if someone questions McCabe at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I included McCabe in a list with Taylor and Callinan as people who had questions over their evidence. That isn't ignoring serious issues relating to others.

There is an awful lot of preciousness around if someone questions McCabe at all.

Sad thing is, Callinan and Taylor will most probably indefinitely have some of their evidence questioned/remain unsubstantiated, due to things being 'unretrievable' and shredded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What are these 'major questions'?
    How many times do you need to be asked for them?

• Advertisement

What are these 'major questions'?
    How many times do you need to be asked for them?

They were outlined in the O'Higgins Report.

Advertisement