Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There's a long way to go before anything works out.
    Harris will need to identify all of the core issue before coming up with a plan on how to tackle them.
    As such, I can see a number of high profile resignations from the force within the next few weeks as the old guard are squeezed out.

I wonder will he make sure that his contract allows high profile sackings without interference from the government or DoJ.

It's notoriously difficult to sack Gardaí. The Garda Commissioner can't just summarily sack an officer. There is a whole process that has to be gone through, which involves internal tribunals and can ultimately end up before the courts.

Elaborate garda disciplinary 'maze' impedes even minimal sanction

This infographic sums it up fairly well.

That's before we take into account that the old guard haven't necessarily done anything wrong to warrant sacking - they're just reluctant to embrace change.

It's highly unlikely that the Government will go down the route of sacking people. Instead the Future of Policing Commission will probably advise the establishment of a very generous retirement scheme to encourage certain officers to leave. That's what happened with the RUC as it transformed into the PSNI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have still reserved judgement on the previous commissioner until we see what the Tribunal says.

So are you telling us that you have not made any judgement on the missing 140k of taxpayers money from Templemore that happened under her watch? Her actions as Commissioner are now under an EU Court of Auditors investigation and the Comptroller and Auditor found that she failed in her duties as the accounting officer of the Templemore accounts which were used as a slush fund for Gardai to spend on booze and restaurants amongst other things

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/n%C3%B3ir%C3%ADn-o-sullivan-blamed-for-templemore-failures-1.3152794
    Nóirín O’Sullivan blamed for Templemore failures
    PAC report says commissioner failed to tell C&AG of financial issues immediately.

Garda Commissioner Nóirín O’Sullivan failed in her duties as accounting officer of the force in relation to the financial irregularities exposed at Templemore Garda college, the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee has said.

The committee is compiling a report into the financial issues uncovered at the Garda training college and the mismanagement of public monies there.

The Irish Times understands the committee has agreed on two key conclusions of its final report, which is due to be released next week.

It finds Ms O’Sullivan was aware of the “issues in the Garda college on or before July 2015”and should have informed the Comptroller & Auditor General (C&AG) when first learning of the mismanagement at the college.

The committee is highly critical of the decision not to inform the C&AG’s office of the relevant information available to her

So whats your judgement on that or is there nothing to see here either? Are you ok with Gardai using tax payers money to go on the piss? Running off shore accounts? Duping the auditors ? With then no accountability for the person in charge? Is that all okay or something?

Of course we know that you would have had no problems whatsoever with OSullivan praising Maurice McCabe in public while instructing her barristers to attack his credibility at the OHiggins Commission given that you yourself have attacked his credibility on here often enough. You have that in common with her.

mattser wrote: »
    So, now that the dust has settled, who should have got the job ?

Its hard to know. I think the ideal candidate would have been Nuala OLoain who spearheaded the reform of the RUC but wasnt part of the RUC regime. However she didnt apply for the job so no go there. Neither did Kathleen OToole who reformed the Boston police, another worthy candidate. Its hard to see many from the US or Australia/NZ wanting to uproot their families so I doubt they had many top drawer applications from outside of AGS.

Just on Drew Harris, lots of posters here are making the assumption that he has blood on his hands from his RUC days yet there is zero evidence of it. However if he was involved in any collusion when he was in the RUC I believe it will come out in the wash now that he has the role as Garda Commissioner. He is applying for an Irish passport which will get the back up of some loyalist former RUC members. So if there is skeletons in his closet I would be certain it wont be long until former RUC colleagues are briefing against him to the Irish media. If that event transpires then Fine Gael are looking at Garda Commissioner scandal number three. Fine Gael had better be 100% sure that this guy is squeaky clean because now is the time his enemies can move to take revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So are you telling us that you have not made any judgement on the missing 140k of taxpayers money from Templemore that happened under her watch? Her actions as Commissioner are now under an EU Court of Auditors investigation and the Comptroller and Auditor found that she failed in her duties as the accounting officer of the Templemore accounts which were used as a slush fund for Gardai to spend on booze and restaurants amongst other things

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/n%C3%B3ir%C3%ADn-o-sullivan-blamed-for-templemore-failures-1.3152794

So whats your judgement on that or is there nothing to see here either? Are you ok with Gardai using tax payers money to go on the piss? Running off shore accounts? Duping the auditors ? With then no accountability for the person in charge? Is that all okay or something?

I am more than familiar with the responsibilities of accounting officers and where that starts and ends. If I remember that correctly, the misspend occurred under many Garda Commissioners and she is largely blameless.

Not surprised that you drag it up though.

You said

I asked you to give us examples of some parts of Sinn Fein (i.e. someone from SF) looking for a commissioner who would be soft on 'good republicans' etc etc

Try again there will you?

Again, that is not what I said, you are paraphrasing and quoting out of context.

Let me be clear, I have found the opposition from SF posters on this thread to the new appointment to be amusing given the way that SF have been calling for an outside appointment for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Again, that is not what I said, you are paraphrasing and quoting out of context.

Let me be clear, I have found the opposition from SF posters on this thread to the new appointment to be amusing given the way that SF have been calling for an outside appointment for a long time.

You said 'some parts of Sinn Fein and some of their supporters'.
    That is two separate entities you were referring to.

Which 'parts' of Sinn Fein? And can you quote these parts as presumably that is how you know what 'some parts' believe, i.e. they have said something. Your full post below:
    It is very funny to see some of those who were loudest in calling for change in the Gardai so upset at a senior PSNI officer becoming Garda Commissioner.

You see the agenda is clear, some parts of Sinn Fein and some of their supporters see change in the Gardai as meaning the force goes soft on good republicans and dissidents. This appointment is the opposite, and what is worse, it has he potential to reform the gardai in a positive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There seems to be more posts about the perceived view of Sinn Fein (and mystery folk perceived to be supporters of Sinn Fein) regarding the new hire, than the historical move as it relates to an organisation, a DoJ, MoJ's and government not up to task.
    'The Law and Order party', now that's amusing.

You said 'some parts of Sinn Fein and some of their supporters'.
    That is two separate entities you were referring to.

Which 'parts' of Sinn Fein? And can you quote these parts as presumably that is how you know what 'some parts' believe, i.e. they have said something. Your full post below:
    There seems to be more posts about the perceived view of Sinn Fein (and mystery folk perceived to be supporters of Sinn Fein) regarding the new hire, than the historical move as it relates to an organisation, a DoJ, MoJ's and government not up to task.
    'The Law and Order party', now that's amusing.

I have put out my opinion that I have found the comments on the new appointment amusing.

The subsequent Grand Inquisition to justify my amusment only adds to the hilarity. It is great to be laughing out loud on a lovely day like this.

We saw it in the begrudging comments from McDonald when she said that SF would attempt to work with the Commissioner. You could see how difficult it was for her to go even that far. As I said, it was amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have put out my opinion that I have found the comments on the new appointment amusing.

The subsequent Grand Inquisition to justify my amusment only adds to the hilarity. It is great to be laughing out loud on a lovely day like this.

We saw it in the begrudging comments from McDonald when she said that SF would attempt to work with the Commissioner. You could see how difficult it was for her to go even that far. As I said, it was amusing.

So no back up for your comments.
    Anyone representing those affected by the corrupt, sectarian and disgraced RUC would have many reasons to treat this appointment with extreme caution.

Maybe not somebody so easily amused though.

I am more than familiar with the responsibilities of accounting officers and where that starts and ends. If I remember that correctly, the misspend occurred under many Garda Commissioners and she is largely blameless.

Not surprised that you drag it up though.

A leopard never changes its spots :rolleyes: So now offshore Garda accounts hidden from the auditors under the watch of Noirin oSullivan who was the accounting officer and ultimately responsible are spun by you and rebranded as a "misspend". So 140,000 of taxpayers money pissed up against a wall by Gardai and you are clearly okay with that. Are you an apologist for the AGS spending taxpayers money getting pissed? Right now it certainly seems that way but I stand to be corrected.

I note that you did not answer any of the questions that I posed to you on the performance of Noirin oSullivan. So I will ask them again in a clearer fashion.

1. Do you find it acceptable that a Garda Commissioner would be subject of a high level EU Court of Auditors investigation? Whereby her own Head of Audit has already said that he was lied to?
    2. Do you find it acceptable that under Noirin oSullivans watch AGS were running secret off-shore bank accounts?
    3. Do you find it acceptable that 100,000 of taxpayers money was embezzeled out of AGS Templemore College and into the Garda Boat Club (a completely private organisation) and spent with zero accountability?.
    4. Do you find it acceptable that the AGS Head of Internal Audit Niall Kelly told PAC that he was duped by OSullians promises that the many financial irregularities at Templemore would be actioned and reported to the Comptroller and Auditor General yet were not despite the auditors protests?

Kindly respond to each question individually using the same numbering. Because your latest wild claim is that oSullivan is "largely blameless" while she was the accounting officer of Templemore, a role with legal responsibilities that requires serious oversight of Garda finances, as you claim to know. Im not sure that you actually know the responsibilities of what an accounting officer is duty bound to do but from the facts presented she utterly failed in that role. On the other hand you are claiming that there is nothing to see here. I find that truly bizarre given what is already in the public domain.

• Advertisement

A leopard never changes its spots :rolleyes: So now offshore Garda accounts hidden from the auditors under the watch of Noirin oSullivan who was the accounting officer and ultimately responsible are spun by you and rebranded as a "misspend". So 140,000 of taxpayers money pissed up against a wall by Gardai and you are clearly okay with that. Are you an apologist for the AGS spending taxpayers money getting pissed? Right now it certainly seems that way but I stand to be corrected.

I note that you did not answer any of the questions that I posed to you on the performance of Noirin oSullivan. So I will ask them again in a clearer fashion.

1. Do you find it acceptable that a Garda Commissioner would be subject of a high level EU Court of Auditors investigation? Whereby her own Head of Audit has already said that he was lied to?
    2. Do you find it acceptable that under Noirin oSullivans watch AGS were running secret off-shore bank accounts?
    3. Do you find it acceptable that 100,000 of taxpayers money was embezzeled out of AGS Templemore College and into the Garda Boat Club (a completely private organisation) and spent with zero accountability?.
    4. Do you find it acceptable that the AGS Head of Internal Audit Niall Kelly told PAC that he was duped by OSullians promises that the many financial irregularities at Templemore would be actioned and reported to the Comptroller and Auditor General yet were not despite the auditors protests?

Kindly respond to each question individually using the same numbering. Because your latest wild claim is that oSullivan is "largely blameless" while she was the accounting officer of Templemore, a role with legal responsibilities that requires serious oversight of Garda finances, as you claim to know. Im not sure that you actually know the responsibilities of what an accounting officer is duty bound to do but from the facts presented she utterly failed in that role. On the other hand you are claiming that there is nothing to see here. I find that truly bizarre given what is already in the public domain.

Oh, I do know the responsibilities of an accounting officer, but I also know the limitations of what an accounting officer can actually do.

Take for example, the waste of money on PPARS in the health service. Which accounting officer lost their job over that?

Which accounting officer lost their job over the cervical smear scandal?

Did the President of UL lost his job over their financial scandal?

There are countless more examples out there. However, you can't apply one rule to Noirin O'Sullivan and demand her head and another rule for countless others.

Oh, I do know the responsibilities of an accounting officer, but I also know the limitations of what an accounting officer can actually do.

Do tell us, youre on record here as being a public servant are you not? I defer to your knowledge of this space but my understanding is that an accounting officer is responsible for signing off on the accounts as being a true reflection of actual fact. It is a duty bound by law, to breach it is to break the law, am I right or what like?

In Noirins case it turned out to be a case of her own auditor saying in front of the PAC that he "was duped". Hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money down the drain yet here you are trying to pretend that Noirin should not be judged for her incompetency or corruption. Covering up low standards in politics seem to be the order of the day in your arguments. Which is ironic given that Noirin herself said that these low standards are "unacceptable". Which actually puts your own defence of Noirin at odds of what she herself said. I find this bizarre, it is Comical Ali stuff, nothing to see here lads, everything is just OK!

For the third time I note that you have not answered any of the questions I posed to you after you have said that Noirin oSullivan is "largely blameless". So for the third time I will ask you again to answer why you think this is.

And here comes the whataboutery folks-
    Take for example, the waste of money on PPARS in the health service. Which accounting officer lost their job over that?
    Which accounting officer lost their job over the cervical smear scandal?
    Did the President of UL lost his job over their financial scandal?
    There are countless more examples out there. However, you can't apply one rule to Noirin O'Sullivan and demand her head and another rule for countless others.

So the basic jist of your whataboutery argument is "Lets Keep the Incompentance Going" :rolleyes: Fair enough so blanch152, I guess your expected standards of a public servant are a lot lower than what mine are. I think that is pretty clear at this stage that the incompetency of public servants does not actually bother you at all. You dont mind hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money being wasted whatsoever, in fact you are an apologist for this type of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Machine gun with ammo falling out of the boot of a car, then going missing aside....
    Seems it's business as usual over in the DoJ.
    Justice department criticised over appointment of new secretary-general
    The Department of Justice has been criticised for appointing a new secretary-general without following due process.

Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan notified the Cabinet on Tuesday that Aidan O’Driscoll is to move to the role, which has not been filled on a full-time basis since November.

At the launch of the Public Accounts Committee’s latest report, Labour TD Alan Kelly said the role had never been advertised and the lack of transparency was disappointing given recent Garda and justice controversies.

“It doesn’t tell me that there has been massive institutional change,” he said. “Has anything been learnt? Is there going to be change in a department, which the Taoiseach described as totally dysfunctional?”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/justice-department-criticised-over-appointment-of-new-secretary-general-1.3561367

Alan is livid. Varadkar probably forgot all about the DoJ at this stage, 'Is the DoJ still a thing?'. Charlie Flanagan is aware. It's on record. To be fair, he may or may not have considered it note worthy, we don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Machine gun with ammo falling out of the boot of a car, then going missing aside....
    Seems it's business as usual over in the DoJ.

Alan is livid. Varadkar probably forgot all about the DoJ at this stage, 'Is the DoJ still a thing?'. Charlie Flanagan is aware. It's on record. To be fair, he may or may not have considered it note worthy, we don't know.

Anything that annoys Alan Kelly puts a smile on my face.
    I remember his enthusiasm to lumber the public with water charges.
    Man of the people my arse. Self server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Floppybits

For the third time I note that you have not answered any of the questions I posed to you after you have said that Noirin oSullivan is "largely blameless". So for the third time I will ask you again to answer why you think this is.

Has Blanch152 answered these questions yet or have they just avoided answering them? I can't see why they cant be answered, to me they seem fairly logical questions to ask.

Come on Blanch152, answer the questions?

Do tell us, youre on record here as being a public servant are you not? I defer to your knowledge of this space but my understanding is that an accounting officer is responsible for signing off on the accounts as being a true reflection of actual fact. It is a duty bound by law, to breach it is to break the law, am I right or what like?

In Noirins case it turned out to be a case of her own auditor saying in front of the PAC that he "was duped". Hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money down the drain yet here you are trying to pretend that Noirin should not be judged for her incompetency or corruption. Covering up low standards in politics seem to be the order of the day in your arguments. Which is ironic given that Noirin herself said that these low standards are "unacceptable". Which actually puts your own defence of Noirin at odds of what she herself said. I find this bizarre, it is Comical Ali stuff, nothing to see here lads, everything is just OK!

And here comes the whataboutery folks-

So the basic jist of your whataboutery argument is "Lets Keep the Incompentance Going" :rolleyes: Fair enough so blanch152, I guess your expected standards of a public servant are a lot lower than what mine are. I think that is pretty clear at this stage that the incompetency of public servants does not actually bother you at all. You dont mind hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money being wasted whatsoever, in fact you are an apologist for this type of behaviour.

An awful lot of rhetoric from the chief critic on here of Noirin O'Sullivan, most of whose accusations are either unproven or found to be baseless.

You have been cheerleading against her from the start, and many times you have mentioned her son and his videographing. You may have missed this article recently:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/excommissioner-osullivan-and-her-son-sue-newspaper-in-defamation-case-37117610.html

"The piece, which appeared in July 2017, incorrectly stated that an interview conducted by Mr Williams with a woman known as Ms D in 2014 was recorded by Mr McGowan, a photographer and Ms O'Sullivan's son.

The newspaper later acknowledged this was an error and issued an apology to Mr Williams, Mr McGowan and Independent News & Media."

You have repeated this allegation on here time and again. Are you man enough to apologise like the Sunday Times did, or will you continue to spout spineless nonsense.

My response on the Accounting Officer issue stands. Many Accounting Officers have more grevious findings against them and have kept their job. My question is a simple one - why do you have one rule for Norin and one for everyone else?

Of course I withdraw remarks on Noirn OSullivans son videoing the Mrs.D interview, its now become clear the Sunday Times got this wrong, Ive no problems apologising for repeating what was widely reported in the national
    media.
    My response on the Accounting Officer issue stands. Many Accounting Officers have more grevious findings against them and have kept their job. My question is a simple one - why do you have one rule for Norin and one for everyone else?

So as I said in my last post you are basically now an apologist for the following
    1. AGS running off shore accounts using taxpayers money
    2. AGS embezzling 100,000 taxpayers money.
    3. Noirin OSullivan "duping" the AGS auditor whose job it was to fix the accounts
    Your argument is basically "look over there, other accounting officers were incompetent therefore lets ignore the incompetency of Noirin OSullivan". In your opinion she is "largely blameless" but I suppose when you have no problems make apologies for the theft of taxpayers money I guess anything can be excused :rolleyes:

Tell us how low is the bar you like to set for the Garda Commissioner? Seeing as youre ok with them committing financial crimes what about other crimes, is that okay for you too? What other medicrocity are you willing to accept amongst public servants?

Of course I withdraw remarks on Noirn OSullivans son videoing the Mrs.D interview, its now become clear the Sunday Times got this wrong, Ive no problems apologising for repeating what was widely reported in the national
    media.

So as I said in my last post you are basically now an apologist for the following
    3. Noirin OSullivan "duping" the AGS auditor whose job it was to fix the accounts
    Your argument is basically "look over there, other accounting officers were incompetent therefore lets ignore the incompetency of Noirin OSullivan". In your opinion she is "largely blameless" but I suppose when you have no problems make apologies for the theft of taxpayers money I guess anything can be excused :rolleyes:

Tell us how low is the bar you like to set for the Garda Commissioner? Seeing as youre ok with them committing financial crimes what about other crimes, is that okay for you too? What other medicrocity are you willing to accept amongst public servants?

Again, that is not what I said.

For example, a previous Commissioner oversaw huge overspend of millions and millions on the Garda Pulse system. Did he lose his job over it?

The Director of the HSE and the Secretary of the Department of Health have been in charge of the cervical smear scandal which cost lives. Should they lose their jobs?

Various Secretaries of the Department of Education oversaw child abuse scandals. Did they lose their jobs?

What is common to all of these and to the Templemore issue? None of them were directly responsible for what happened and none of them lost their jobs.

I am not defending anyone, I am just applying fair play and equity of treatment to all. You are singling out one public servant and applying different standards to her because you have an issue of some kind with her that refuses to allow you to see things with a lack of bias.

How do you think you were so easily taken in by the Sunday Times story? How do you think you believed everything Garda Harrison said? How do you think you believe everything that Supt. Taylor has said? How do you think you refuse to see that Garda McCabe is a truthful but flawed man prone to exaggeration?

I don't understand your vendetta against O'Sullivan, but it is very very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Again, that is not what I said.

For example, a previous Commissioner oversaw huge overspend of millions and millions on the Garda Pulse system. Did he lose his job over it?

The Director of the HSE and the Secretary of the Department of Health have been in charge of the cervical smear scandal which cost lives. Should they lose their jobs?

Various Secretaries of the Department of Education oversaw child abuse scandals. Did they lose their jobs?

What is common to all of these and to the Templemore issue? None of them were directly responsible for what happened and none of them lost their jobs.

I am not defending anyone, I am just applying fair play and equity of treatment to all. You are singling out one public servant and applying different standards to her because you have an issue of some kind with her that refuses to allow you to see things with a lack of bias.

How do you think you were so easily taken in by the Sunday Times story? How do you think you believed everything Garda Harrison said? How do you think you believe everything that Supt. Taylor has said? How do you think you refuse to see that Garda McCabe is a truthful but flawed man prone to exaggeration?

I don't understand your vendetta against O'Sullivan, but it is very very strange.

Didn't the head of the HSE step down because of the utter fcuk up they presided over? And that's without him being directly implicated in any nefarious goings on. Let's not forget, at best O'Sullivan was utterly inept/incompetent.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Didn't the head of the HSE step down because of the utter fcuk up they presided over? And that's without him being directly implicated in any nefarious goings on. Let's not forget, at best O'Sullivan was utterly inept/incompetent.

Did any Government minister resign because of their poor performances?
    I doubt it very much.

• Advertisement

Did any Government minister resign because of their poor performances?
    I doubt it very much.

I wasn't talking about government ministers but are you joking?! didn't Fitzgerald resign essentially owing to her fcuk ups re the McCabe case.

I wasn't talking about government ministers but are you joking?! didn't Fitzgerald resign essentially owing to her fcuk ups re the McCabe case.

No. She was pushed to save the Taoiseach. In the same way that Enda sent a messenger to tell the other Commissioner to jump ship.

This just gets worse from you. What began as a weak argument has now transformed into your being an apologist for all sorts of public service incompetence. Your argument now basically boils down to OSullivan shouldnt have resigned in disgrace because other people didnt resign in disgrace. It is pure whataboutery and the sign of someone who has nothing of substance to put on the table
    None of them were directly responsible for what happened and none of them lost their jobs.

You said earlier you know better than any of us what the function of an accouting officer is. I dont think you know at all because now you are saying that OSullivan was not directly responsible for the accounts when she was accounting officer at Templemore. I mean how much more wrong can you get? Funny thing too is even Noirin OSullivan doesnt agree with you- perhaps read her comments in reference to the embezzlement of 100,000 of taxpayers money- she said it was unacceptable which actually puts her at odds with you who said she is "largely blameless".
    How do you think you believed everything Garda Harrison said? How do you think you believe everything that Supt. Taylor has said? How do you think you refuse to see that Garda McCabe is a truthful but flawed man prone to exaggeration?

See none of the above ever happened. I challenge you to find anywhere I said the above. You wont be able to but go ahead and try.

In any case the only person on this thread with a vendetta is you- Ive constantly called you out on your spurious allegations against McCabe. You said he had "serious questions to answer" and when asked to provide these serious questions you went into a huff and dissappeared for two weeks. Then you selectively quote Judge OHiggins in another effort to smear his name, next you insinuated that McCabe wasnt telling the truth but when challenged couldnt come up with anything.

I mean at the end of the day Michael Martin, Leo Varadkar, Enda Kenny, John McGuinness, Judge OHiggins are all on record as saying McCabe is a man of integrity and has done the state great service, he even won a People of the Year award for it. But despite all this blanch152 is here on Boards still trying to do his level best to slur the name of a good man. You should be very proud of yourself because that is exactly what youve done to this man who has been through hell and back yet always has one more person trying to lay the boot in.

No. She was pushed to save the Taoiseach. In the same way that Enda sent a messenger to tell the other Commissioner to jump ship.

Yeah, nothing at all to do with their conduct re: the McCabe case!!

Yeah, nothing at all to do with their conduct re: the McCabe case!!

I don't know. Either way nobody left of their own free will. That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I know there was a claim in one report about a link to an off shore account but do you have links to stories about the other two allegations.

I know there was a claim in one report about a link to an off shore account but do you have links to stories about the other two allegations.

It was covered in some PAC hearings. By the standards of what the PAC usually examines, this was a relatively minor issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It was covered in some PAC hearings. By the standards of what the PAC usually examines, this was a relatively minor issue.

The poster claimed the organisation embezzled €100k and the head of the organisation duped the auditor. I think these would be pretty hefty accusations for the PAC, criminal even.

The poster claimed the organisation embezzled €100k and the head of the organisation duped the auditor. I think these would be pretty hefty accusations for the PAC, criminal even.

The poster concerned is clearly exaggerating the culpability of Noirin O'Sullivan for some bizarre reason, which in my opinion is like a vendetta for some unknown reason.

http://www.thejournal.ie/templemore-pac-documents-niall-kelly-john-barrett-michael-culhane-3407465-May2017/

You can see from this link that the issues are indeed serious and there are questions for various commissioners.

http://www.thejournal.ie/templemore-garda-college-bar-3419938-Jun2017/

From the timeline in this Irish Times article, a case can be easily made that O'Sullivan acted appropriate at all times, once the issue was brought to her attention, setting up investigations to establish the truth and once issues were clarified bringing them to the attention of the Department and the Minister, involving the Department in the committees etc.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/timeline-of-financial-irregularities-at-templemore-garda-college-1.3078478

It is really bizarre why the poster pins all of the blame on O'Sullivan.

• Advertisement

The poster concerned is clearly exaggerating the culpability of Noirin O'Sullivan for some bizarre reason, which in my opinion is like a vendetta for some unknown reason.

http://www.thejournal.ie/templemore-pac-documents-niall-kelly-john-barrett-michael-culhane-3407465-May2017/

You can see from this link that the issues are indeed serious and there are questions for various commissioners.

http://www.thejournal.ie/templemore-garda-college-bar-3419938-Jun2017/

From the timeline in this Irish Times article, a case can be easily made that O'Sullivan acted appropriate at all times, once the issue was brought to her attention, setting up investigations to establish the truth and once issues were clarified bringing them to the attention of the Department and the Minister, involving the Department in the committees etc.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/timeline-of-financial-irregularities-at-templemore-garda-college-1.3078478

It is really bizarre why the poster pins all of the blame on O'Sullivan.
    Who does the buck stop with? Didn't she say she was going to change the toxic culture of the guards during her tenure? What did she actually do, to effect change in that regard? Still seems to be completely full of rotten apples and practices at the top.

Do you think she did a good job? Does anyone?

Advertisement