Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is willfully concealing evidence of an investigation a crime? I'm not sure. Does it depend on if you are involved or does it carry if you have information could assist but do not bring it forward? Also, if you are the head of the organisation running an investigation and you are impeding it by not giving full disclosure, is that a thing? He could always pull a Francis and say he kinda knew but didn't really or a Charlie with the knew but didn't think it was important. He'll be grand.

Is a priest required to divulge what they hear in the confessional box?

If a Garda sees a bank robbery taking place at the same time as he sees his best friend illegally crossing the road, is he required after he stops the bank robbery to take action against his best friend with the knowledge of the crime that he has?

If I see you tossing an empty Coke bottle on the ground in Croke Park, am I committing a crime by not reporting you?

I would guess that having knowledge of a crime isn't a crime unless you are actively involved in aiding and abetting the crime at the time it happens. Somehow I doubt whether Harris had active knowledge over 40 years ago of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »

If a Garda sees a bank robbery taking place at the same time as he sees his best friend illegally crossing the road, is he required after he stops the bank robbery to take action against his best friend with the knowledge of the crime that he has?

If I see you tossing an empty Coke bottle on the ground in Croke Park, am I committing a crime by not reporting you?

I would guess that having knowledge of a crime isn't a crime unless you are actively involved in aiding and abetting the crime at the time it happens. Somehow I doubt whether Harris had active knowledge over 40 years ago of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

The priest analogy is bizarre.

I wasn't sure if Garda had a sworn duty to assist in an investigation by forwarding any pertinent information.

I can see him keeping knowledge of an investigation he is responsible for quiet, therefore hampering that investigation, being a conflict of interest of sorts. In the least showing he's the wrong man for the job anyway. Or he could give hints like 'you're getting warmer...no colder...ice cold' I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

AH Jaysus Blanch the Garda deals with the robbery first but then deals with the Garda. I think Garda members must act on a crime they know about.

AH Jaysus Blanch the Garda deals with the robbery first but then deals with the Garda. I think Garda members must act on a crime they know about.

Sadly in talk regarding the government, MoJ or Garda Commissioner saving face, some would argue none of them are even beholden to the lowest basic levels of common or garden civic duty of the everyday citizenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Sadly in talk regarding the government, MoJ or Garda Commissioner saving face, some would argue none of them are even beholden to the lowest basic levels of common or garden civic duty of the everyday citizenry.

Are you saying no Garda has a basic level of civic duty?

• Advertisement

Are you saying no Garda has a basic level of civic duty?

No, not at all. I honestly don't see how you came to that conclusion. I'm saying some people will not even attribute the expectation of a common sense of civic duty to folk if it'll suit their argument.

No, not at all. I honestly don't see how you came to that conclusion. I'm saying some people will not even attribute the expectation of a common sense of civic duty to folk if it'll suit their argument.

Ridiculous misrepresentation.

Somebody put forward the idea that it is illegal for a Garda not to take action on any crime that they see and that they must take subsequent action. I pointed out the silly nature of that.

To give another very simple example, every Garda in Dublin must see at least 200 illegal actions by cyclists every day - do they take action on every single one?

I am delighted that the ridiculous court case was summarily dismissed. I can't remember which poster first put it up here, but how anyone thought it would get anywhere is beyond me. Now, the new Commissioner can get on with his job once he takes up office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Somebody put forward the idea that it is illegal for a Garda not to take action on any crime that they see and that they must take subsequent action. I pointed out the silly nature of that.

To give another very simple example, every Garda in Dublin must see at least 200 illegal actions by cyclists every day - do they take action on every single one?

I am delighted that the ridiculous court case was summarily dismissed. I can't remember which poster first put it up here, but how anyone thought it would get anywhere is beyond me. Now, the new Commissioner can get on with his job once he takes up office.

I don't think anyone thought it would succeed. I don't even think it was taken to succeed. This is a prelude to how this stint will go. He is undermined before he begins.
    Nice work by the government.

I don't think anyone thought it would succeed. I don't even think it was taken to succeed. This is a prelude to how this stint will go. He is undermined before he begins.
    Nice work by the government.

Case dismissed, hardly undermined.

An abuse of the court system to take a case just for show.

Case dismissed, hardly undermined.

An abuse of the court system to take a case just for show.

A hell of a lot of people are disconcerted about his suitability. I would say very undermined.
    Not an auspicious beginning to have your appointment challenged and your history pored over by all and sundry.

• Advertisement

A hell of a lot of people are disconcerted about his suitability. I would say very undermined.
    Not an auspicious beginning to have your appointment challenged and your history pored over by all and sundry.

You mean a handful of posters on here, and a couple of Sinn Fein politicians in the real world?

Hardly amounts to a hell of a lot of people or all and sundry.

Edit: Forgot to say that any appointment of a new Garda Commissioner should disconcert at least some people.

You mean a handful of posters on here, and a couple of Sinn Fein politicians in the real world?

Hardly amounts to a hell of a lot of people or all and sundry.

I read all the disconcerting stuff in our main newspapers. It is out there now. The dice is loaded, lets see how it rolls.

I read all the disconcerting stuff in our main newspapers. It is out there now. The dice is loaded, lets see how it rolls.

All of the "disconcerting stuff" was reporting on the unsubstantiated rubbish that was summarily dismissed by the High Court. Court reporting isn't passing judgment.

I haven't seen a single national newspaper editorial that didn't welcome him.

All of the "disconcerting stuff" was reporting on the unsubstantiated rubbish that was summarily dismissed by the High Court. Court reporting isn't passing judgment.

I haven't seen a single national newspaper editorial that didn't welcome him.

Editorial and reportage are different things.

Can't remember the last time I read an editorial actually. Tedious enough sorting out the chaff in the journalism and deciding what is fact as well as trying to figure out our esteemed editors agendas.

The facts of who this man is and what he is bringing to the job are out there.

Editorial and reportage are different things.

Can't remember the last time I read an editorial actually. Tedious enough sorting out the chaff in the journalism and deciding what is fact as well as trying to figure out our esteemed editors agendas.

The facts of who this man is and what he is bringing to the job are out there.

No, Francie, the "facts" that were put out there by those taking the court case were summarily dismissed. End of.

No, Francie, the "facts" that were put out there by those taking the court case were summarily dismissed. End of.

No. The challenge to his appointment was dismissed.
    The facts remain as revealed. This man has a track record and it is in the public domain now.

No. The challenge to his appointment was dismissed.
    The facts remain as revealed. This man has a track record and it is in the public domain now.

They weren't facts. They were allegations made as part of a court case.

They weren't facts. They were allegations made as part of a court case.

So are all allegations made in all court cases untrue solely because the court dismissed them?

That would undermine the arguments of a few posters here in other matters. :)

The court dismissed the challenge to his appointment for the reason YOU posted earlier in the thread.

So are all allegations made in all court cases untrue solely because the court dismissed them?

That would undermine the arguments of a few posters here in other matters. :)

The court dismissed the challenge to his appointment for the reason YOU posted earlier in the thread.

They are allegations, up to you to prove them to be facts. As I said already, apart from a crank that took a court case, a handful of Sinn Fein politiciains who quickly shut up and a few posters on here, nobody appears to have a problem with his appointment.

Even the Belfast Newsletter has welcomed it.

blanch142 wrote:
    They are allegations, up to you to prove them to be facts. As I said already, apart from a crank that took a court case, a handful of Sinn Fein politiciains who quickly shut up and a few posters on here, nobody appears to have a problem with his appointment.

Even the Belfast Newsletter has welcomed it.

Read some of the newspaper comment and groups concerned about this man's independence expressing problems (that you say are the preserve of SF and posters on here) and you will see concerns based on the facts of this man's career heretofore.

you can claim all you like that everyone (bar some posters here and SF) has welcomed this appointment but that clearly isn't the case.

https://www.businesspost.ie/opinion/garda-chief-appointment-potentially-puts-state-risk-423825

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/analysis-garda-commissioner-appointment-like-man-city-signing-the-man-utd-manager-852174.html

https://relativesforjustice.com/rfj-responds-to-appointment-of-new-garda-commissioner/

• Advertisement

Read some of the newspaper comment and groups concerned about this man's independence expressing problems (that you say are the preserve of SF and posters on here) and you will see concerns based on the facts of this man's career heretofore.

you can claim all you like that everyone (bar some posters here and SF) has welcomed this appointment but that clearly isn't the case.

https://www.businesspost.ie/opinion/garda-chief-appointment-potentially-puts-state-risk-423825

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/analysis-garda-commissioner-appointment-like-man-city-signing-the-man-utd-manager-852174.html

https://relativesforjustice.com/rfj-responds-to-appointment-of-new-garda-commissioner/

Read the Examiner article, couldn't access the Sunday Business Post one as behind a paywall.

Didn't see any real concern there. Describing the security issue as fascinating isn't really expressing concern. Can't see any support for your position there.

Relatives for Justice are a lobby group, can't really see any independent judgment coming from them. You can add them to my very short list of concerned people.

Read the Examiner article, couldn't access the Sunday Business Post one as behind a paywall.

Didn't see any real concern there. Describing the security issue as fascinating isn't really expressing concern. Can't see any support for your position there.

Relatives for Justice are a lobby group, can't really see any independent judgment coming from them. You can add them to my very short list of concerned people.

'Independent judgement'?

I can see why their experiences in dealing with this man would not concern somebody who has shown no interest in finding out what one side in the conflict/war did here. But they are very worrying to some all the same. Has a government with a track record of fabulously messing up this appointment, messed up again?

We shall see how he performs, but I stick to my assertion that he is off to the worst of starts...or pre-starts.

Thankfully we live in a world were many people will do the decent and correct thing even if not legally required to do so. If only more politicians were in that number.

Thankfully we live in a world were many people will do the decent and correct thing even if not legally required to do so. If only more politicians were in that number.

Here is a Minister doing the decent and correct thing:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hes-an-irishman-not-an-outsider-justice-minister-rejects-concerns-about-new-garda-chief-37268913.html?utm_source=outbrain_top_drawer&utm_medium=outbrain&utm_campaign=Outbrain%20On%20Site

When asked if Mr Harris had secured his Irish passport to date the minister said: "Drew Harris is an Irishman.

"He served with distinction in Northern Ireland in very difficult circumstances, saw first hand the Troubles on the island of Ireland with the loss of his father."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hes-an-irishman-not-an-outsider-justice-minister-rejects-concerns-about-new-garda-chief-37268913.html?utm_source=outbrain_top_drawer&utm_medium=outbrain&utm_campaign=Outbrain%20On%20Site

When asked if Mr Harris had secured his Irish passport to date the minister said: "Drew Harris is an Irishman.

"He served with distinction in Northern Ireland in very difficult circumstances, saw first hand the Troubles on the island of Ireland with the loss of his father."

Willie Frazer is an Irishman too, as anyone born on the island is.

That wasn't the question the minister was asked though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sidestepping and avoiding the question yeah?

Like Francie, Flanagan wasn't asked if he was an Irishman, anyone born on the island of Ireland can consider themselves an Irish man or woman.

Personally I think it's irreverent what passport he has, but what's up with Flanagan avoiding the question :confused:

Sidestepping and avoiding the question yeah?

Like Francie, Flanagan wasn't asked if he was an Irishman, anyone born on the island of Ireland can consider themselves an Irish man or woman.

Personally I think it's irreverent what passport he has, but what's up with Flanagan avoiding the question :confused:

Who stipulated that he should have an Irish passport anyway?
    You are correct, it would mean very little.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Willie Frazer is an Irishman too, as anyone born on the island is.

That wasn't the question the minister was asked though.
    Is the nationality of the person an issue here?
    IMO it was simply a snide way of checking if he would be loyal to the job.

Is the nationality of the person an issue here?
    IMO it was simply a snide way of checking if he would be loyal to the job.

Well it seems it was the Government namely Leo Varadkar, who made it an issue, and then the minister refused to answer the question when asked. Odd.
    The Government later confirmed Mr Harris was a dual Irish-British citizen by virtue of being born in the North and that he had applied for an Irish passport.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/my-focus-is-on-keeping-people-of-ireland-safe-says-next-garda-commissioner-drew-harris-472418.html

• Advertisement

Tbf, his nationality shouldn't be an issue, & I don't believe it is.
    AGS actually need a lot more non nationals as members.
    I think the issue most people have is the fact that his career to now has been in the ruc & psni.
    And the problems that may bring

Advertisement