Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House building in limerick city

• 18-05-2016 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the bulk of the houses being built just confined to castletroy? Maybe others might shed light on areas where estates are being built?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

dave 27 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the bulk of the houses being built just confined to castletroy? Maybe others might shed light on areas where estates are being built?

There are new houses being built soon on the Old Cork Road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Where? That's the first I've heard about that.

Where? That's the first I've heard about that.

Between the Amber station and Ros Mor. It's the second phase of Ros Mor. The houses are on daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Between the Amber station and Ros Mor. It's the second phase of Ros Mor. The houses are on daft.

I wonder if they going to be well built homes or more of the same trash that's been built over the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There needs to be a hell of a lot more residential construction happening in the city centre. Rents are climbing very fast because of the supply shortage brought on by the likes of Uber setting up. The city centre is experiencing the highest rent increases in the country at the moment, according to the Daft rental report.

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    There needs to be a hell of a lot more residential construction happening in the city centre. Rents are climbing very fast because of the supply shortage brought on by the likes of Uber setting up. The city centre is experiencing the highest rent increases in the country at the moment, according to the Daft rental report.

I can't remember the last time a new apartment block was built in town.

I can't remember the last time a new apartment block was built in town.

Riverpoint and The Strand spring to mind. These were about 10 years ago. Madness really.

I think The Strand are the only ones of decent quality. This should be a minimum standard for the city, and the council should enforce this at planning stage, in my opinion. The days of cheapo apartments with storage/panel heaters and thin walls, limited space and natural light should be consigned to the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

The city central apartments on Henry st / Bedford row are of good quality too.

I noticed the abandoned apartment block beside jfk church on the north circular looks like it's being started up again

dave 27 wrote: »
    The city central apartments on Henry st / Bedford row are of good quality too.

I haven't been in them. Have they storage/panel heaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

I'm only judging by what I've seen on daft sorry! They were built the same time as riverpoint and had similar rents so I assumed they were good, haven't heard anything bad from them anyway

• Advertisement

The thing about apartments with storage and panels heaters is that they tend to reflect a building built for maximum profit rather than best quality. These are easy and cheap to install, but the cost is pushed on to the occupant in the form of energy bills.

Almost all apartment buildings in Ireland were built with these in the Celtic Tiger years. Our apartment building stock is generally quite poor and it's one of the reasons why people have negative opinions about apartment living, and choose suburban and one-off housing instead. We really must enforce the highest standards possible when it comes to future apartment developments or this problem won't be reversed.

I haven't been in them. Have they storage/panel heaters?

Yep, they do!

I see lots of new apartments being built in Moyross. At first glance they look to be fairly high quality. They're in the nice part of the estate though. Not Delmege or Pineview which still look very awkward with the now detached (once terraced) houses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I see lots of new apartments being built in Moyross. At first glance they look to be fairly high quality. They're in the nice part of the estate though. Not Delmege or Pineview which still look very awkward with the now detached (once terraced) houses.

There's also apartments being built on the old Tait clothing factory site off Edward St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »
    Munster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

There was also the plans for the Clarion Suites to be turned into apartments and for a few houses to be built on that site as well does anyone know what happened to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Munster?

Mungret. Probably autocorrect playing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Bored_lad wrote: »
    There was also the plans for the Clarion Suites to be turned into apartments and for a few houses to be built on that site as well does anyone know what happened to that?

There was considerable opposition from local residents at the planning stage, on the grounds of parking and doubts over the capability of the local sewerage system

I doubt their grounds are particularly strong. Presumably it's going ahead.

• Advertisement

There was considerable opposition from local residents at the planning stage, on the grounds of parking and doubts over the capability of the local sewerage system
    They want to keep the poor people away more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I doubt their grounds are particularly strong. Presumably it's going ahead.
    They want to keep the poor people away more like.

They didn't want people parking on Roses Ave. as it would devalue their houses,I think I remember reading!

New application in with a decision in June .... http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/15645/0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

They didn't want people parking on Roses Ave. as it would devalue their houses,I think I remember reading!

New application in with a decision in June .... http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/15645/0

I read some of those objections and some of them are quite valid in my opinion including the size and amount of apartments, they want to develop the same number of apartments as there were rooms in the Clarion Suites, I can't imagine these apartments being that big building 30/40 apartments would probably be better. Those trees on the site are quite old and should probably be kept if possible, there doesn't seem to be a lot of green areas in the proposed development mainly all parking, there is an underground carpark at the site do they plan on not using this at all.

I also noticed that planning was granted for a small extension to Shelbourne House. This was going to be apartments and the planning application suggested this was still the case is the developer planning on finishing it soon.

With these two developments and the townhouses/apartments by the church on the North Circular we should have some very good quality housing coming on stream in Limerick over the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Apparently the first few are finished are on show this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I think this is the lot:

Sli na Manach, Mungret
    Evanwood, Castletroy
    Bloomfield, Castletroy
    Caiaslean na habhann, Castletroy
    Ros Mor, Old Cork Rd.
    Kylemore, Castletroy
    Clanwilliam, Castletroy

That's a good chunk of new house builds.

Irish_rat wrote:
    Sli na Manach, Mungret Evanwood, Castletroy Bloomfield, Castletroy Caiaslean na habhann, Castletroy Ros Mor, Old Cork Rd. Kylemore, Castletroy Clanwilliam, Castletroy

None in the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

None in the city?

None that I know of. Also I think a new estate is going in behind Clonmacken from what I've heard.

Irish_rat wrote:
    Sli na Manach, Mungret Evanwood, Castletroy Bloomfield, Castletroy Caiaslean na habhann, Castletroy Ros Mor, Old Cork Rd. Kylemore, Castletroy Clanwilliam, Castletroy

New houses on the golf links road too right?
    I had a drive down to ros mor for a look. Not exactly thrilled by the location. Do they have problems with anti-social behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

New houses on the golf links road too right?
    I had a drive down to ros mor for a look. Not exactly thrilled by the location. Do they have problems with anti-social behaviour?

I lived there for 6 months a few years back, was skeptical enough about the location but had no problems at all.

Advertisement