Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance for a mortgage

• 18-05-2016 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I have a mortgage on a house I bought last year and the house insurance is expiring in a week or so.

I am going to renew it, but I am wondering: is it needed for the mortgage by contract? I mean, in case I don't renew it, I am going to have problems with the landing bank?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No you won't have a problem, however if the house burned to the ground you would be personally liable for the full amount owing to the bank. Seperately you would have life cover in place as part of terms of mortgage where if you died the bank would be given the amount outstanding on the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

No you won't have a problem, however if the house burned to the ground you would be personally liable for the full amount owing to the bank. Seperately you would have life cover in place as part of terms of mortgage where if you died the bank would be given the amount outstanding on the mortgage.
    So in case of no house cover and house burned I have keep paying the mortgage even if the house is gone, correct?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pasquale83 wrote: »
    So in case of no house cover and house burned I have keep paying the mortgage even if the house is gone, correct?

Yes. Your debt won't be covered and won't go up in flames like your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

It is required by contract. One of the conditions of your mortgage will be that you maintain at least fire cover on it. If you have a current policy, it is likely that they are currently noted as an Interested Party. If you lapse the policy, the insurer is obliged to notify the lender, who will then contact you about the matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Check you mortgage loan offer, which states you have to have buildings insurance for the duration that you have a mortgage on your property. If you don't then you are breaching the terms of the mortgage.
    Add to that, why wouldn't you cover your home, in the event it ever burnt down, fell down or need repairs done to it due to subsidence or flooding? Can you pay for the rebuild costs out of your own pocket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

pasquale83 wrote: »

Yeah, that's kind of obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Thank you for all your replies!

Advertisement