Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid BER question

• 18-05-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

If two houses have the same Building Energy Rating e.g. B3 133.4 (kWh/m2/yr) and one house is 100m2 and the other is 300m2, would both have the same annual heating bill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I think I've found the answer to my stupid question

The BER "is expressed as primary energy use per unit floor area per year (kWh/m2/yr)". So I would expect the 300m2 house to have a heating bill three times the 100m2 house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Correct.
    And also you might expect that the smaller house is probably of a better quality. Because its usually harder for a small house to achieve the same BER as a big house (unless the smaller one is actually an apartment). Due to the large exposed surface area compared to its floor area.

Advertisement