Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do?

• 18-05-2016 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭

I currently have a cat that i can no longer keep due to circumstances out of my control and I was wondering how to go about finding a new home for him. If anyone could give any assistance with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

It's a bit of a bad time of year to try and rehome an adult cat. :( It's kitten season, so lots of kittens needing homes which can make it doubly hard to find an adult cat a home. Your best bet right now may be to ask friends and family if they would be interested.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

My family is the issue, lol. My dad does nt like cats, his house, his rules. Until i find my own place (im currently unemployed and finding it extremely difficult to find work) i cannot do a thing about it. The only way i can get work is if i move to different location but what then about the cat? It would be unfair for the cat to move into a small apartment when he is used to been outside all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

You would be surprised how well cats move..

Can I ask why as such do you have to rehome the cat now, is it because you are going to move! That's what I am getting from your post.

If this is the case I would say just move the cat with you when you find a spot or start advertising asking the local animal places or ask them to post for you... Twill be hard enough though but do the right thing and find him a new home if you no longer want him horrible to say but that really is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

john 08 wrote: »
    It would be unfair for the cat to move into a small apartment when he is used to been outside all day.

If he goes to a rescue or charity for rehoming he might end up in a small apartment anyway.

I dont see what the issue is having him in an apartment. We have 2 cats in a small apartment and they cant stand each other so one lives in the back and one in the front and theyre grand.

Milly33 wrote: »
    You would be surprised how well cats move..

Can I ask why as such do you have to rehome the cat now, is it because you are going to move! That's what I am getting from your post.

Thats the thing i do want to hold onto him but my dad is making my life hell atm so the cat has to be gone sooner rather than later and as i currently dont have a job i cannot rent out my own place. If i could find a temporary home for the cat until i managed to find my own place that would be ideal as i dont want to give him up. btw.... sry for the late response.

• Advertisement

I see, I see.. Do you have a local group perhaps an animal gang a lot of them would know foster people who would take care of the cat for you. Maybe a friend would look after him for a while... If you paid for all food and what not, it suits some people as they cannot have a cat long term... Chance asking anywho and see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Hey there, the same happened to me. There may be a compromise here.

I had to move home for a couple of months and I have a mum with a phobia of cats. I took the view that it was like her wanted to come bunk with me for a couple of months with her pet spider so I had to respect that.

If there is a porch/conservatory/garage or something you can keep it in for a weekend (and stay with i as much as possible!) to help get it used the new location please try and do that. I also got a big outdoor hut i popped in the garden that I put loads of blankets and an old hoody of mine into. My dad used to pop a hot water bottle into it every evening too!

I used to give her steak (once even from M&S!!) and treats too and would sit with her while she would eat and just try and settle her into the new area being pleasant and nice and try and make up for the fact that being indoors was never gonna happen till I sorted our next place.

When I could I would take her to my boyfriends as we could keep her in there some times so she could have snuggles and sleep at the end of the bed like she was used to.

It's risky and tricky and mine did run away for a time (I didn't do the weekend indoors thing at the beginning, big mistake) but she came back and we have moved since then and not a problem at all. She knows where her bread is buttered!

Up to you of course, only you know what is best for the little one, but just wanted to say I managed to get through the same kind of situation. It wasn't easy though!

Otherwise is there a vet the cat has gone to or you are familiar with? I would try with them first and also <snip>. Maybe someone could foster it through them for a period of time?

Good luck :)

Just seen these messages now. @Milly33: I have nt looked into any local groups tbh. Do you mean like <snip> ?

@CaoimheSquee: The cat stays in a extension out the back overnight and stays in my room during the day whenever he wants, otherwise he may stay outside. He comes and goes as he pleases. Originally the cat would be in the house but my ould fella started putting a stop to that and now hes attempting to do the same with the cat just been around outside and staying in the extension. I really have no choice about moving the cat and myself on as the situation here is only getting worse.

Oh you arent aloud to post names but like the lost and found places or even ask in your vets they might know someone

Advertisement