Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got that 1080 itch!

Options
  • 18-05-2016 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Sooooo.....

I've been getting the itch lately, and I've been saving up...

My PC is slightly dated,

Mod Asus z97-a
    gtx 970
    32gb ddr3
    core i5 4690k @ 4ghz
    corsair h50
    750w psu
    NZXT S340

From the above, I'm not sure I can save much for a 'new' build.

GF has offered to buy me a 1080 for my birthday in August. (She owe's me something nice this time she got Paris, engagement ring, and a Macbook Pro.. I got socks...)

So, my own budget here will be 1500.

What I have that can be used in the new build.

Case NZXT S340

PSU CX750M
    Monitor 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor (Very much considering upgrading!)

Drives
    250gb SSD for OS.
    250gb SSD for games.
    2 x 2tb HD's for storage.

Keyboard Orion G910
    Mouse G502 Proteus Core

Possibly going to re-use the Corsair h50, depending on socket if it fits etc.

So, with a 1080 already (Courtesy of herself) and the items above, what should my 1500 budget go towards?
    SLI 1080?

I know the whole lark with future proofing doesn't really exist.. but I'd like to know that if I spend 1500, plus a 1080, plus existing stuff, I'm going to have a rock solid PC for a few years. as after this summer, it's wedding planning and saving for mortgage....

It's pretty much solely for gaming. Few VM's, thus the ram amount. But im happy to lower this to 16gb, and add 16gb at Christmas maybe.

I can also sell the current stuff, and slightly increase my budget, but I'd prefer to keep it and build one for my son.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 750 in a Z97?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

whoops.

It's a core i5 4690k. Had the 750 for ages before...

Forgot to mention, I will be getting Rift or Vive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

"Slighty dated" is a bit of an overstatement. It's practically new! I don't think you will be blown away by any upgrade. With a 1080 you'll be completely fine for VR. Get a nice chair instead :D

Unless I'm reading this wrong and you don't currently have a 4690K so the bits above are what you are planning... In which case I'd say go for the new Skylake line. There isn't enough of a price saving anymore to be going backwards to Haswell.

So, maybe I'm shooting my load too early.

How about going with the 1080 she's getting me, the new 512gb ssd's I've ordered, and putting the rest away for when VR really takes off in a few years and hardware upgrade is needed.

I'd be happy enough doing that, knowing that my current specs won't bottleneck the 1080 for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

4690k, 32gig and a 970 ... "slightly dated" ....
    unless you are going to go for 4k is there much to be be gained here? Is the 1440p monitor a gsync one?

• Advertisement

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    4690k, 32gig and a 970 ... "slightly dated" ....
    unless you are going to go for 4k is there much to be be gained here? Is the 1440p monitor a gsync one?

No. But I've been considering upgrading the monitor to 4k.

Current monitor is this
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-g277hu-full-hd-27-led-monitor/330987/401.3.2?awc=5297_1463572373_0569f1e78c377cde9102f0f211c68181&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Affiliate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Current specs won't bottle the 1080, or the 1080Ti or probably the 1180.

It'll be a long while before a 4590k holds you back.

More SSD, full WC loop, better case, nice chair, sexy lingerie for the wife, better headphones, better monitor are about all the upgrades I'd throw forward, all optional

Current specs won't bottle the 1080, or the 1080Ti or probably the 1180.

It'll be a long while before a 4590k holds you back.

More SSD, full WC loop, better case, nice chair, sexy lingerie for the wife, better headphones, better monitor are about all the upgrades I'd throw forward, all optional

Can't change the case, she got me that for Christmas :pac: I'd need more than sexy lingerie to convince her otherwise!

If I went with a better monitor, perhaps a 4k display, would my specs be fine with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

As stated in one of the 1080 reviews yesterday, "We still don't have a graphics solution that can handle 4k without breaking a sweat". You are better off with a 1440p or 1080p and then supersampling for a better quality image. Updating the monitor is something that sounds reasonable though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GXkjPAkDw&list=PL8mG-RkN2uTx1lbFS8z8wRYS3RrHCp8TG&index=3

This might be an interesting upgrade.

I can see where you are coming from, wedding/mortgage taking away future funds :)
    But, you'll be spending a lot here and not gaining that much [relative to what you already have obviously].

SLI 1080gtx is probably needed for 4k and even then will they be enough? I dunno.
    Perhaps just a single 1080gtx and a gsync/144hz 1440p monitor instead?
    Use the other one as a secondary monitor then.

Or wait and see what AMD offer and grab a freesync monitor to go with?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Whatever res you go with try to get a 144hz gsync screen.

Anyone mind sharing a few links of monitors that they would recommend?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone mind sharing a few links of monitors that they would recommend?

This Dell 2560X1440 Gsync 1ms 144hz Gsync would be my number one choice.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2716dg-27-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Asus and Acer offer similar with IPS panels but its a total lottery as to whether you get a good one or not.

I have both a TN and IPS panel side by side and the difference in colours is there but barely noticeable and certainly not as much as some make out.

Grab that monitor and you will have plenty of cash left in your budget.

Dcully wrote: »
    Grab that monitor and you will have plenty of cash left in your budget.

More than enough to get a 1080gtx which would go very well with that 1440p GSync monitor; according to the reviews so far.
    Before you have to pay for boring crap like stamp duty and solicitor's fees :(

I have the same Dell monitor by the way and I agree its a great display, sure its TN and there is a noticeable difference but it still fantastic and the 144hz is worth it.
    Definitely a noticeable upgrade that you wont regret!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

An overclocked 1080 will be about twice the performance of an overclocked 970, possibly more, so it's a worthy upgrade. I'd be sticking with the 2560x1440 144hz monitor though. Everything else seems fine as well. Wait for the 3rd party 1080's though. A Gigabyte G1 version should be alone soon enough.

Advertisement