Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've set up the dimmer in my kitchen to cycle through 5 different scenes using the newer hue app, which is grand,

however, can you create your own scenes in the new app? or can you only use the preset scenes? as maybe I'd like the 4th or 5th preset to be a weird off the charts colour mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I've set up the dimmer in my kitchen to cycle through 5 different scenes using the newer hue app, which is grand,

however, can you create your own scenes in the new app? or can you only use the preset scenes? as maybe I'd like the 4th or 5th preset to be a weird off the charts colour mix!

Pretty sure i set my own scenes. You can pick a picture from your gallery to help set a scene also.

Pretty sure i set my own scenes. You can pick a picture from your gallery to help set a scene also.

but can you do that in the newer app? I don't see anywhere in it to create scenes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

but can you do that in the newer app? I don't see anywhere in it to create scenes!

I have a plus in the bottom right of the screen when I select scenes in a room.

Ah yes, I see it now,

It'll take some time to get used to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Bought a new house which I will hopefully renovate. Thinking of some smart lighting. What would you recommend I buy to get setup, bearing in mind that I am starting from a clean slate. Thanks

kifi wrote: »
    Bought a new house which I will hopefully renovate. Thinking of some smart lighting. What would you recommend I buy to get setup, bearing in mind that I am starting from a clean slate. Thanks

Start off with a starter kit, 3 colour bulbs and a bridge, and build from there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kifi wrote:

Hi first thing , get deep back boxes on your light switches . Tell the sparks you want a neutral drop to each switch , it can stay in a connector. If you ever want powered dimming switches you'll be ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Have 2 hue white 806 bulbs for lamps in my room. Grand with the remote but I'm getting broadband in the house tomorrow, so looking at a bridge.

What else should I add to cart? I have sky GU10's that came with the house nearly everywhere downstairs, surely it's overkill to replace all these? I plan to have one for lamps in my 2nd room, landing and living room too.

I presume the gu10's dim too?

With the bridge I'd imagine the functionality must be good, ie set to turn on from app or certain time frame? Thanks

The hue GU10 dim.

In your case if like me you've tons of gu10s hue is too expensive imo. They are only white light too.
    I'm getting a hue with some if their feature lights
    But I'd get regular Philips dimmable LEDs and dim them with another system that allows the use of an inline dimmer that find a whole cct and reduces the cost of a replacement lamp to 5 euro.
    The hue is irresistible though. Just waiting for a good price on it.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    They are only white light too.

The hue GU10's come in 2 options now, colour (£50) & white ambiance (warm & cold whites) and they are £25 each or a twin pack for £45

I've just put 10 of the colour GU10's in my kitchen, and I've 4 white ambiance GU10's on the way for my landing.

The white ambiance ones would have been fine in the kitchen (I like having a brighter white in the early evening before switching over to a warmer more standard warm white when it's dark), but I said I'd always regret not getting the colour versions. Its a lot of money, but their in, I have them, so I move on.
    So I've one scene fading into the next every evening on timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

I run my own domoticz system on a Pi 3. I have a hue system on it too with a combination of Ozram,Philips and Innr bulbs... All work off the Hue Hub but I also have a zigbee adapter as a backup. I have started buying more of the Innr bulbs as I feel they are brighter and can be equally switched on and off from the light switch. the ozram/phillips bulbs i have have a "remembered" state so I do not currently like them as they cannot be controlled from the switches. I had issues with lightwaverf devices when used with sensors so i stopped using the bulbs/switches. Now i can use a combination of x10/lightwave sensors to switch on the bulbs as someone enters/leaves certain rooms. The Innr bulbs I got from amazon but they have their own site too (based in Netherlands) their GU10 are €19 but they are not as bright as philips ones.

tigger1962 wrote:
    I run my own domoticz system on a Pi 3. I have a hue system on it too with a combination of Ozram,Philips and Innr bulbs... All work off the Hue Hub but I also have a zigbee adapter as a backup. I have started buying more of the Innr bulbs as I feel they are brighter and can be equally switched on and off from the light switch. the ozram/phillips bulbs i have have a "remembered" state so I do not currently like them as they cannot be controlled from the switches. I had issues with lightwaverf devices when used with sensors so i stopped using the bulbs/switches. Now i can use a combination of x10/lightwave sensors to switch on the bulbs as someone enters/leaves certain rooms. The Innr bulbs I got from amazon but they have their own site too (based in Netherlands) their GU10 are €19 but they are not as bright as philips ones.

Just wondering does your Zigbee adaptor come with its own basic app that picks up all those lamps , but just doesn't function as well as the Philips one ?

I've a Google onhub with a Zigbee radio. I seems to have an integral Philips hue app that doesn't have the features of the hue app but it's pretty good. I wondering if I got just one Philips lamp would it work on it without the hue hub, It would be fantastic of it did.

Can you put me in the direction about how you got other Zigbee devices to work on hue . I assume your Pi helps out .
    That to me is a perfect solution as I could get inline Zigbee modules and add centre lights to the hue app.
    Or even just the onhub app.

Stoner wrote:
    I've a Google onhub with a Zigbee radio. I seems to have an integral Philips hue app that doesn't have the features of the hue app but it's pretty good. I wondering if I got just one Philips lamp would it work on it without the hue hub, It would be fantastic of it did.

You still need the Philips hub. The onhub just connects to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Folks
    We are in the middle of a clear out at home.I have a Philips Living colour light which may be compatible with the Hue system.It appears to be working perfect with power supply but no remote. was going to put it up on Adverts for free but thought somebody on this forum would appreciate it more.Anybody interested is more than welcome to it.I am based in Blanchardstown.
    Preference to members who post in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Folks
    We are in the middle of a clear out at home.I have a Philips Living colour light which may be compatible with the Hue system.It appears to be working perfect with power supply but no remote. was going to put it up on Adverts for free but thought somebody on this forum would appreciate it more.Anybody interested is more than welcome to it.I am based in Blanchardstown.
    Preference to members who post in this forum.

Me please !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Phoenix3, thanks, I've a few and so I'm fine, but just to confirm that yes these will work with a Hue Bridge.

bk wrote: »
    Phoenix3, thanks, I've a few and so I'm fine, but just to confirm that yes these will work with a Hue Bridge.

Is there any particular way it needs to be set up to work with Hue? Or do you just plug it in and search for new lights in the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Is there any particular way it needs to be set up to work with Hue? Or do you just plug it in and search for new lights in the app?

Not sure how the system works as I am not familiar with Hue.

Where is the deal that you can get two GU10's for £50?

My starter pack of 3 and the bridge arrived yesterday just need to plug it in.

• Advertisement

they are £25 each or a twin pack for £45

link?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Depends on the device, you use the Hue App on your phone to put the bridge into search mode and then turn the light and it picks it up.

However that doesn't work for some older devices, for those I use the app iConnetHue (iOS) which gives you extra options. You can add a device by it's serial number then or some other options.
    Irish_rat wrote: »
    link?

Here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L99H850/ref=twister_B01G50MZ56?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But looks like they are currently out of stock from amazon, thus the ridiculous price at the moment from a third party seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Hue Go lamp €59 on Amazon Germany until 10pm tonight.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/angebote

Got my GU10's but don't fit the recess 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

How much are they out by Irish_rat? Also, are they generation one or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

paulbok wrote: »

€65.50 delivered to PM in the north. €68 to the south, I'd assume it will come with a German type plug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just bought one and was coming on here to let people know. Beaten to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

€65.50 delivered to PM in the north. €68 to the south, I'd assume it will come with a German type plug?

Good point. I know it's a proprietary charger but whether you can cut the euro plug off or it's an all in one like my router that I got from Germany I don't know.
    Will check and perhaps cancel. Not a fan of adapters.
    EDIT. It's an all in one.

OU812 wrote: »
    How much are they out by Irish_rat? Also, are they generation one or two?

A good bit. I suppose I'll just have to return them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

paulbok wrote: »

Tempted by this but the battery life is putting me off a little.

Advertisement