Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Irish_rat wrote: »
    A good bit. I suppose I'll just have to return them.

What is blocking them ? Id be surprised if you couldn't get the to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lightstrip plus is down to £52.49 on Amazon.co.uk.

More tempting than the go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Picked up a Lightstrip Plus, two motion sensors, a dimmer and a white ambiance bulb on Fri.
    Also added a Hive heating controller to add a little balance to all the Hue stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Roen wrote: »
    Good point. I know it's a proprietary charger but whether you can cut the euro plug off or it's an all in one like my router that I got from Germany I don't know.
    Will check and perhaps cancel. Not a fan of adapters.
    EDIT. It's an all in one.

By all in one do you mean you can change the end of the plug to fit our sockets? Like Apple plugs?

By all in one do you mean you can change the end of the plug to fit our sockets? Like Apple plugs?

Unfortunately not. Not sure what the technical term is but the transformer is plugged directly to the wall. It's the exact opposite of the mac charger, the pins cannot be swapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

ted1 wrote: »
    What is blocking them ? Id be surprised if you couldn't get the to fit

The back of the housing! It's the hue color and white ambiance GU10, is the normal hue white GU10 any smaller?

Just a shame as I hooked them up and they look really good. My sky lighting bulbs that I got with the house are ridiculously bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The back of the housing! It's the hue color and white ambiance GU10, is the normal hue white GU10 any smaller?

Just a shame as I hooked them up and they look really good. My sky lighting bulbs that I got with the house are ridiculously bright.

You can get new fittings, like mine, that will allow any size GU10

How many did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

You can get new fittings, like mine, that will allow any size GU10

How many did you get?

Do you happen to know the name or model number of those please Andy? Having some fitted in the next couple of weeks and would like to pick those ones up.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OU812 wrote:
    Do you happen to know the name or model number of those please Andy? Having some fitted in the next couple of weeks and would like to pick those ones up.

What type of ceiling are they going into.
    Will you need fire rated or ip655 or maybe insulated.
    Don't just pick fittings to suit a hue lamp !!

Don't just get open back fitting the heat loss is substantial

Stoner wrote: »
    What type of ceiling are they going into.
    Will you need fire rated or ip655 or maybe insulated.
    Don't just pick fittings to suit a hue lamp !!

Don't just get open back fitting the heat loss is substantial

New extension, think by law they have to be fire rated. Hadn't considered the heat loss, but I know it'll be well insulated.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote:
    New extension, think by law they have to be fire rated. Hadn't considered the heat loss, but I know it'll be well insulated.

Is it single storey

Stoner wrote: »
    Is it single storey

Yes. Apex roof with apex ceiling

OU812 wrote:
    Yes. Apex roof with apex ceiling

Ok so I'd recommend something fire-rated and something with insulation covers. You don't want the wind whistling in.

Something like this with the insulation cover built in allows the installation right around the fitting.

http://gb.auroralighting.com/Lighting-Products/Indoor-Luminaires/Fire-Rated-Downlighting/GU10-Fire-Rated-Downlights.aspx

Don't settle for just top hat robus downlights

Buy your own if you must . Order them Monday and you'll have them for the end of the week.

Ring aurora for further help or get something similar. You might need them to confirm that a hue lamp will fit. Or get something similar

It's good advice . I've used thermal imaging to see the difference.

Find out the thickness of the plasterboard too. If he's used thermal board get the thickness select a down light with clips that are wide enough to get up over it. The ones I linked you to are good high clips.
    Let the electrician know the cut out size so he can have the perfect holesaw. The hole should be perfect not too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance B22 down from 49.99 to 29.99

Linky

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

TheTubes wrote: »

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en
    Just about to post. Picked up two. The first of the coloured bulbs I have. They are the richer colours too.
    Cheers for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

the three bulb colour bulb starter set is down to 119 euro on amazon.de

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

GU10s don't need housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

How long do the Hue bulbs last or is it too early for anyone to say yet? I've bought energy-saving Philips bulbs before that would supposedly last 10 years and didn't last anywhere near that.

I'd expect a £30+ bulb to last quite a long time. :)

nc6000 wrote: »
    How long do the Hue bulbs last or is it too early for anyone to say yet? I've bought energy-saving Philips bulbs before that would supposedly last 10 years and didn't last anywhere near that.

I'd expect a £30+ bulb to last quite a long time. :)

my first 3 colour bulbs are about 3 years old now and have no issues at all, and they run daily.

nc6000 wrote:

nc6000 wrote:
    I'd expect a £30+ bulb to last quite a long time.

2 year warranty I'm told . Plus I can't find the data on the intensity fall off known as lumen maintenance factor, do your two year old bulb, is it 69, 70 or 80 percent as bright as it was when you bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I currently have two sets of ceiling lights each with 3 bulbs. I want to switch these to Hue but don't think i'd need 3 bulbs in each. Anyone that has the Hue bulbs what kind of ceiling lights work well? Some simple sort of transparent material as I'm presuming anything else would block out the effect?

s.welstead wrote: »
    I currently have two sets of ceiling lights each with 3 bulbs. I want to switch these to Hue but don't think i'd need 3 bulbs in each. Anyone that has the Hue bulbs what kind of ceiling lights work well? Some simple sort of transparent material as I'm presuming anything else would block out the effect?

I have in my office (box room) one of those big white paper ball type lamp shades from Ikea, and it works great with the hue colour bulbs, the paper is quite thin as well, so you don't lose many lumens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Perfect, exactly what I was thinking would work with them. Now to just find something similar that looks well during the day when the lights are off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

s.welstead wrote: »
    I've a high ceiling in one room and instead of using ceiling-fittings, I'm using a bunch of these guys dotted around the room:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/floor-lamps/rutbo-floor-lamp-rectangular-white-art-00321591/

They look great and if you remember to line up the three bulbs inside the floor lamp when you're putting it together, the lamps produce a completely diffuse and very even light all 'round.

Might be able to produce a picture tomorrow if I remember.

That looks nice,
    I have 3 spare white hue bulbs that would go nicely into one of those, and put it up in the attic guest room to go with the 2 whites already up there, then link them all to the same remote.

Linky

Gone up to £37 now

the three bulb colour bulb starter set is down to 119 euro on amazon.de

Anyone able to add this to their basket? Wont add for me & comes up with not shipping to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Philips Hue LightStrip 49.95 on amazon.de

164 for 3 delivered. good price?

here

amazon-new-used.png?force=1&desired=true&legend=0&ilt=1&tp=all&zero=0&fo=1&h=286&w=588&lang=en

good price. I paid about €128 for two which are due to arrive tomorrow. just onto customer service and they say they can't refund the difference because it's a different company so I'm going to have to cancel & then order from DE to save the €28

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Regarding the lightstrips how useful are they? I'd imagine its pretty hard to find a good location for them where the plug and wire is nicely hidden?

Where are some locations people are currently using these? Under kitchen cabinets? Behind TVs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Philips Hue LightStrip 49.95 on amazon.de

164 for 3 delivered. good price?

here

amazon-new-used.png?force=1&desired=true&legend=0&ilt=1&tp=all&zero=0&fo=1&h=286&w=588&lang=en

Comes up as €59.74 delivered for me. Am I missing something in shipping?

Advertisement