Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheTubes wrote: »
    I got a few of the lightstrips too. Am regretting not pulling the trigger on the gen2 e27 starter kit earlier in the week that was 119e. Will hopefully be another deal on a starter kit friday, i dont have a hub yet.

The same deals often come up later again. Also there will be the post xmas sales too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

I got a few of the lightstrips too. Am regretting not pulling the trigger on the gen2 e27 starter kit earlier in the week that was 119e. Will hopefully be another deal on a starter kit friday, i dont have a hub yet.

Yeah I missed that E27 starter kit myself, I already have a gen 2.0 hub but someone I know is looking to get started. I think I'll have to leave it at what I have for now though, between this and Hans Zimmer tickets the wallet is taking a hammering atm! Although I don't think I could resist grabbing a couple of GU10s if they come up at the same price as the B22s were earlier in the week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Shred wrote:
    Yeah I missed that E27 starter kit myself! I already have a gen 2.0 hub but someone I know is looking to get started.

I actually saw it but was put off by someone pointing out that it was an older version, from reading up it looks like its still a very good deal even if the bulbs are gen2.

Actually you're right, I saw that comment too and held off - so many bulbs, so little time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I now have a basketful of Hue stuff in the Amazon UK and DE sites, waiting to pull the trigger until I see some bargains coming through so I can start making my house smart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Shred wrote: »
    Although I don't think I could resist grabbing a couple of GU10s if they come up at the same price as the B22s were earlier in the week :o

I'm raging I didn't pick up 2 of the B22 colours when they were that price earlier this week, they'd have replaced another 2 of my ever dwindling amount of white only bulbs that I still use, as I replaced a few 3/4 weeks back with white ambiance bulbs Argos had going cheap!

I am too, mainly because I had no clue there were adapters available and I was looking for E27s/GU10s.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm raging I didn't pick up 2 of the B22 colours when they were that price earlier this week, they'd have replaced another 2 of my ever dwindling amount of white only bulbs that I still use, as I replaced a few 3/4 weeks back with white ambiance bulbs Argos had going cheap!

Yes, the addiction is strong! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Shred wrote: »
    I am too, mainly because I had no clue there were adapters available and I was looking for E27s/GU10s.

If it's any consolation I got 5 :D
    Still no hub though...

bk wrote: »
    Yes, the addiction is strong! :D

I literally have nowhere left to put hue bulbs with the exception of the bathrooms, and the little 12v spots under & in the kitchen units!! even my outdoor porch light as well as my back garden sideway are hue whites!

I'm now at the stage where all I'm doing is slowly replacing the white only bulbs with either colour or white ambiance bulbs! (thats something that might be worth mentioning in the other FAQ thread in the main post: the 3 main types of colour bulbs available (White, White Ambiance & White & Colour Ambiance), and the various bulbs each colour type is available in) and now with all the spare whites I have, I'm looking at Ikea floor lights to put them into!!

I don't need any of this!!, but still, hue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I literally have nowhere left to put hue bulbs with the exception of the bathrooms, and the little 12v spots under & in the kitchen units!! even my outdoor porch light as well as my back garden sideway are hue whites!

I'm now at the stage where all I'm doing is slowly replacing the white only bulbs with either colour or white ambiance bulbs! (thats something that might be worth mentioning in the other FAQ thread in the main post: the 3 main types of colour bulbs available (White, White Ambiance & White & Colour Ambiance), and the various bulbs each colour type is available in) and now with all the spare whites I have, I'm looking at Ikea floor lights to put them into!!

How much has all that cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Well you know Hue do light strips that would look great under the kitchen units!

And sure Hue lights in the bathroom on the Hue motion sensor with a timer to set them to come on as low red late at night, would be great for night time use! :p

BTW I'm serious, I'm almost the exact same as you, almost everything Hue, except the above and been thinking of doing exactly the above, over the next few months. Also gradually replacing white bulbs with colour too!

:D

Still no hub though...

I can just about survive for now with what I have;

6 Colours
    3 Lux (original whites)
    7 whites
    2 white ambiances
    10 colour GU'10's
    2 Light Strip Plus (1 with 3x 1m extensions)
    1 bloom
    and
    4 GU10 White Ambiance's arriving in the next 7 days

though still give us a shout if the deal comes back!! those white only bulbs are starting to annoy me!

:D:D:D

davo2001 wrote: »
    How much has all that cost you if you don't mind me asking?

God only knows at this stage, but I'll give it a go;

6 Colours (3 in the original starter kit which was a gift from herself) (€200 & €180 - Apple)
    3 Lux (original whites) (€90 - Apple)
    7 whites (roughly €25 each(ish) = €175, but some of these came in dimmer sets which works out cheaper - Amazon/Woodies)
    2 white ambiances (€44 - Argos)
    10 colour GU'10's (£500 - yeah, ouch, but fcuk it, I have them now - Amazon)
    2 Light Strip Plus (1 with 3x 1m extensions) (around €220 in total 1 from Apple, 1 from Woodies)
    1 bloom (€60 - Woodies)
    and
    4 GU10 White Ambiance's (£100 - Amazon)
    6 dimmer switches (about €140 - Woodies/Amazon)
    new gen 2 hub (€50 - Apple)
    sensor (€40 - Amazon)

So I'm probably closing in on 2 grand for the lot, but it's been gradual over the last 3 years, (although the 10 GU10's happened quite quickly as I bought 4 first, they arrived and I fitted them and 20 minutes later I ordered the remaining 6 I needed).

The way I see it though is it's (mostly :D ) done, It's set up, Complete. I'd be expecting at least 7-10 years to pass before I need to replace any of the bulbs. so yes I've heaved a lot of cash for the system up to now, but from here on in, it'll only be the odd bulb or sensor/dimmer bought to complement the set up, and no more.

Getting a starter kit at the beginning was a novelty, and if I still only had those 3 lights, a novelty they would remain. I soon realised the only proper way to do Philips Hue and really get all the benefit from the system was to go all in, and all in I've gone.

From dusk til dawn my entire house (4 bed semi D) lighting is fully automated, in every room bar the bathrooms (which are on my radar). I've bright (concentrate/energise) scenes timed early afternoon in our offices (2 home offices) & living room/kitchen, with the latter fading into warmer (relax/read) scenes after dark, while the offices fade to off after work.
    And for anyone to walk into my house at any time, they'd never know, as I'm still using all original lamps etc, the only thing someone might notice are the dimmer switches casually wall mounted beside an original light switch in certain rooms.

Am I lazy - Yes
    Still though, hue.

bk wrote: »
    Well you know Hue do light strips that would look great under the kitchen units!

I've already got the 2 light strips in the kitchen, 1 over the kitchen units with 3x 1m extensions, and the other on the opposite wall around the back of the dresser unit, and 10 colour GU10's in the kitchen ceiling! Theres no way she's letting me put any more in, and to be honest I would want to anyway as it'd be a tad overkill.

Still no hub though...

You could make yourself a lovely necklace out of them while you wait :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Light up a Christmas jumper with them?

give them to me and I'll 'break dem in'

or get a dimmer switch and use them as dimmable white bulbs until the hub arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Right then, latest order arriving soon which will bring the haul to:

1 x hub
    2 x dimmer switches
    3 x motion sensors
    8 x white ambiance
    2 x white and colour ambiance
    1 x light strip+

It's addictive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Philips Hue Personal Lighting Wireless Dimming Kit [Energy Class A+] [Energy Class A+]

Now £25.50 (15% reduction)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Lighting-Wireless-Dimming/dp/B0148NMVRE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1479935499&sr=8-7&keywords=hue

• Advertisement

So I just bought another light strip & 3 1m extensions from Amazon!!

Don't need them but will eventually and couldn't let them away at that price today!

givecredit wrote: »
    Philips Hue Personal Lighting Wireless Dimming Kit [Energy Class A+] [Energy Class A+]

Now £25.50 (15% reduction)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Lighting-Wireless-Dimming/dp/B0148NMVRE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1479935499&sr=8-7&keywords=hue

now £21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

now £21

Pretty much getting the bulb for free :eek:

paulbok wrote: »
    Pretty much getting the bulb for free

If only I'd of held off buying all those dimmer switches a few months ago!!

I just lost my Hue (and indeed HA) virginity, just pulled the trigger on the following:

- white and color ambiance Starter kit E27
    - dimmer switch x 2

Total price €163 on amazon.es

The force is strong with Hue, pulling you in, trying to get you to buy more than you need, I deleted a number of other products from my UK basket before confirming, including the lightstrip, a motion detector, and the switch + white bulb combo. Of course it's only a question of time before I go back for more....

I just lost my Hue (and indeed HA) virginity, just pulled the trigger on the following:

- white and color ambiance Starter kit E27
    - dimmer switch x 2

Total price €163 on amazon.es

The force is strong with Hue, pulling you in, trying to get you to buy more than you need, I deleted a number of other products from my UK basket before confirming, including the lightstrip, a motion detector, and the switch + white bulb combo. Of course it's only a question of time before I go back for more....

might as well go back now while a lot of it is on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

feck it anyway. Just bought a demo socket, songs play 1, nest smoke detector & a lights trip extension that I don't actually know if I need yet...

Time to step away from the internet for a while...

OU812 wrote: »
    feck it anyway. Just bought a demo socket, songs play 1, nest smoke detector & a lights trip extension that I don't actually know if I need yet...

Time to step away from the internet for a while...

I have a spare 1m light strip extension, not being used, and I just this morning bought another 3 of them!!

It really is heart breaking when you open a box with a light strip in it and see how little you are getting for your money!

might as well go back now while a lot of it is on sale!

You are a bad person.....and I have already.

I got the lightstripon Amazon UK, and the white bulb + switch combo.

I need to go for a long walk in a rural part of the country now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Advertisement