Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

1 hub/bridge will connect to up to 50 lights

But if the hub is at one end of the house does it matter how far away the bulbs are from the hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

davo2001 wrote: »
    But if the hub is at one end of the house does it matter how far away the bulbs are from the hub?

The bulbs themselves act as relays to extend the reach of the hub.

Example: I have a Lux bulb (original white only) that I dropped and broke the glass lens, so just installed it in a light out in the back garden. I could never reach it or connect to it with the hub but since installing 10GU10's in the kitchen, I can now reach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Gotya, just bought 10 bulbs and a hub and dimmer switch along with an echo but haven't received them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Have 2 lights under my bay window inside, took out both and just left the white ambiance bulb I bought in. Wow much better light.

Have ordered 5 more to complete my living room. It's expensive business though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Have 2 lights under my bay window inside, took out both and just left the white ambiance bulb I bought in. Wow much better light.

Can you recommend a place to buy them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Couple of questions.

1) Are they suited to outside?

2) Do people recommend mixing a white ambi with a multi? i.e. main light multi and secondary as ambi.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They aren't officially rated for outside use (only IP20 rated), but many people do use them and is probably ok if in a decent rated enclosure.

But no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Can you recommend a place to buy them?

Amazon uk have them for £24.99. I can't see anywhere else, maplin don't seem to have them in stock anymore

Also it's more the dimming affect that I love about them. I bought a floor lamp and it's too bright to watch a movie. Phillips hue will get down to any level you need

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Amazon uk have them for £24.99. I can't see anywhere else, maplin don't seem to have them in stock anymore

Also it's more the dimming affect that I love about them. I bought a floor lamp and it's too bright to watch a movie. Phillips hue will get down to any level you need

Hopefully this helps

http://m.shop.bt.com/products/philips-hue-white-starter-kit-eu--e27---v2-929001137001-CJ0J.html?utm_content=RR00&gclid=CKGy_qPTztACFVQ_GwodthgI7w&referrerid=ZA00&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=ZA00&awc=3043_1480456673_b070e8b85dc16423c1b233548dbc176c#description

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Not sure which bulbs you want. But Amazon.fr have an offer on hue. Spend 100euro and get 30euro off. So with this offer the
    Philips - Hue White ambiance Pack de deux GU10 (2 pack) work out at 23.75 euro each incl delivery when you buy 2 packs, that is 4 bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Received my Hue Go yesterday which was a Black Friday deal at £46 on Amazon.

I'm very happy with it, using it as a night light for our newborn as the main bedroom light bulb was too bright and in his line of sight. As it's portable(inbuilt battery) I can grab it and bring it anywhere around the house with zero hassle.

I also have a Hue Iris and while they do different things I have to say I much prefer the Hue Go

Received my Hue Go yesterday which was a Black Friday deal at £46 on Amazon.

I'm very happy with it, using it as a night light for our newborn as the main bedroom light bulb was too bright and in his line of sight. As it's portable(inbuilt battery) I can grab it and bring it anywhere around the house with zero hassle.

I also have a Hue Iris and while they do different things I have to say I much prefer the Hue Go

Does the Hue Go do the ambiance white colours as well as the 16 million colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Just going through my orders & it appears I somehow managed to buy five extension strips & four light strips so I might have a couple up for sale at a later date, once I figure out exactly what's needed.

Have a total of five packages expected between now & the 12th December that I have to hide from the wife :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Does the Hue Go do the ambiance white colours as well as the 16 million colours?

It does I believe. I've one waiting for collection in Parcel Motel this evening.

As an aside - I got it for €46 in the sale too. Back up to 65 now. But currys.ie have it for €119!

[edit]Yes it does have ambient:
    use it to colour your walls with up to 16 million colours or choose from any tone of white, from warm to cold, from full brightness to deep dimmed light

Philips Hue Go embeds five patented natural dynamic effects: Cozy candle, sunday coffee, meditation, enchanted forest and night adventure. Each dynamic effect has its own characterstic flow and mix of colours to set the right mood. Ideal for a romantic dinner, relaxing bath or zen moment

I ordered a light strip and 3 1m extensions as well, I just couldn't let them go at that price!!
    (I already had a spare 1m extension lying around).

So I'm thinking the white bed in the attic guest room (which is nautical themed), will be getting some under bed lighting!! Or else I'll put a frame type fixture around our bed and hide the strip under the lip,

Orion wrote: »
    It does I believe. I've one waiting for collection in Parcel Motel this evening.

As an aside - I got it for €46 in the sale too. Back up to 65 now. But currys.ie have it for €119!

Prices for anything hue in Ireland are mental!!

Woodies do the dimmer kit (dimmer & white only bulb) for €43!! Even the current Amazon price of £30 is still cheaper!
    Woodies Lucan have the light strip plus for €99.99!! crazy prices, and stupid me bought one from them at that price!!

I'll be up in Belfast in January - might check out Currys in Banbridge for a few bits.

I tried a few places while in the U.K. recently (Currys) and they generally only have 1 type of hue bulb in stock (E27 colour), and anything else would have to be ordered online, or ordered in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Really tempted by these..
    Question for people who have them, and I know i'm asking the converted here!!!

Is the starter kit with 3 colour bulbs worth the £149?
    They don't appear to be any cheaper even over black Friday/Cyber Monday... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Really tempted by these..
    Question for people who have them, and I know i'm asking the converted here!!!

Is the starter kit with 3 colour bulbs worth the £149?
    They don't appear to be any cheaper even over black Friday/Cyber Monday... :(

I would say absolutely yes; each of the bulbs alone are generally circa £50 alone (or €75 retail here!), so you're effectively getting the hub free. I, stupidly/impatiently, paid €223 for the same in Maplin's a few months back as Amazon/Argos etc were all out of stock. However I don't have any particular regrets as even at that price they're still fantastic.

• Advertisement

I tried a few places while in the U.K. recently (Currys) and they generally only have 1 type of hue bulb in stock (E27 colour), and anything else would have to be ordered online, or ordered in.

You can order online and collect instore.
    The same light is £70 on currys.co.uk. Little more expensive that Amazon but massive saving on currys.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

hi guys . I bit the bullet and bought some hue lights.

my plan is to put a 4.5 meter strip on the kitchen ceiling , about a meter out from the wall, to act as a downlighter for the countertop/sink. so do i need a diffuser and where would i get some ?

argos uk - strip + 3 extensions = €78.82
    amazon spain - white ambiance bulb and bridge2.0 = €71

donegal. wrote: »
    my plan is to put a 4.5 meter strip on the kitchen ceiling

that would be a 2m light strip, with 3 1m extensions, with one of them cut in half (which can be done) to give you the 4.5m you need.

As it will be on show, your best option would be a diffuser, I think someone posted a link to such a diffuser earlier in the thread, but for me, it would have to be a very sexy diffuser if it was going to be blatantly on show.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to cutting a light strip/extension!
    Over my kitchen units, there was about 300m spare I could have cut off, but just left it on and tailed it back in towards the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'll be up in Belfast in January - might check out Currys in Banbridge for a few bits.

Was in there on Monday - very little in the way of Hue stuff. They didn't have the motion sensor in stock - unsurprisingly tbh, as it was on offer from Currys online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

OU812 wrote:
    Just going through my orders & it appears I somehow managed to buy five extension strips & four light strips so I might have a couple up for sale at a later date, once I figure out exactly what's needed.

I'd be up interested in that.

alastair wrote: »
    Was in there on Monday - very little in the way of Hue stuff. They didn't have the motion sensor in stock - unsurprisingly tbh, as it was on offer from Currys online.

What I meant was order online then collect from store. They deliver to the store free for you to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I just picked up the lightstrip on amazon.es for 34.92 with 7.33 delivery costs to Holland.

So got the two bulbs (put one in the bedroom and one in the landing) and the Hue Go. So easy to set up but had a mare with Alexa getting voice to work. Then I realised my mistake - I named a room "bedroom" and also named the light "bedroom" too. Alexa didn't like that. Renamed the light to "Main Bedroom" and all good. Have the Hue Go in the room too - when I change scene in the room is works lovely. Need to play with the scenes now - some I want the main light off and just ambient light from the lamp. I've figured out how to do this just need to set some time to play with it.

I agree with some other comments that the Hue app is not great. What other apps do people use to control their Hue lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

So got the two bulbs (put one in the bedroom and one in the landing) and the Hue Go. So easy to set up but had a mare with Alexa getting voice to work. Then I realised my mistake - I named a room "bedroom" and also named the light "bedroom" too. Alexa didn't like that. Renamed the light to "Main Bedroom" and all good. Have the Hue Go in the room too - when I change scene in the room is works lovely. Need to play with the scenes now - some I want the main light off and just ambient light from the lamp. I've figured out how to do this just need to set some time to play with it.

I agree with some other comments that the Hue app is not great. What other apps do people use to control their Hue lights?

Where do I go about setting up custom themes? i.e. lamps on centre light off etc.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Where do I go about setting up custom themes? i.e. lamps on centre light off etc.

In scenes. You do them per room. In each scene you can control each light - e.g. Nightlight scene you can turn off main light and set lamp to 10%

Advertisement