Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hue Go is back down to £46 on Amazon, and the sensor is down to £29.99 for anyone who wants in on the act.

I like the hue go.

Also I just call it huego on Google home and it gets it every time.
    It's my most used hue lamp, although 50 pounds is about right for it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Thank you to whoever posted the link for the connection cables for the Hue lightstrips a few weeks ago.
    Got them a few day ago and finally finished fitting them under my wall presses. Fitted on perfect and ran them behind the press to span the window.
    Saved a load of messing with soldering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Colour Hue bulbs 36.90 on amazon.fr, some other starter kits as well on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

paulbok wrote: »

Must............. resist......... the............... urge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Bought the Hue go from Amazon and setting up Starter kit tonight before resisting urge to buy dimmer switch and more..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

paulbok wrote: »

Turns out the actual limit of bulbs for a hub is 63 and not 50 as advised!!

63 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Turns out the actual limit of bulbs for a hub is 63 and not 50 as advised!!

63 anyone?

You must be disappointed. You were so close to being able to stop. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ordered two white ambiance bulbs from amazon.fr today.
    Have a motion sensor on the way from amazon.co.uk and need to order another one too.

Have two of the old white bulbs still in their boxes and a dimmer switch still unopened. Thats after receiving a light strip and a Hue Go last week(which are both in use)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Guys, one question...

I have spot lights in the kitchen that I would like to put in Hue bulbs. I need GU10 bulbs for this right. If so, do they fit the same way as a regular LED bulb? i.e are they flush with the light fitting? They look kinda long, as if they would be sticking out from the fixture?

Could someone post a pic of the GU10 inserted in a spotlight please :) ?

Cona wrote: »
    Guys, one question...

I have spot lights in the kitchen that I would like to put in Hue bulbs. I need GU10 bulbs for this right. If so, do they fit the same way as a regular LED bulb? i.e are they flush with the light fitting? They look kinda long, as if they would be sticking out from the fixture?

It depends on what type of fittings you have, top hat or open top,
    I have open top so the additional size of the hue GU10 wasn't a factor (see some pictures I posted a fee pages back).
    With the open top fitting your only limited by the cavity in the curling they are going into,
    Top hat fittings and you might struggle to get a colour hue bulb into, you might get a white ambiance bulb in which I believe is a little shorter (I can confirm in a few days when my white ambiance GU10's arrive),

My attic fittings are top hat type so I can try a colour bulb as well as a white ambiance and report back what fits and what doesn't.

• Advertisement

This is the open top type where the socket the GU10 plugs/clicks into is not connected to the main bulb holding part, and thus is not restricted by limited space inside the casing

(FYI, this is not a hue bulb installed in the fitting, though it's where the White Ambiance GU10's will go when they arrive this week)

The red scene however is colour hue bulbs installed in the same fittings in the kitchen

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Ordered a lightstrip & Starter set from Amazon.es on the 30th, no update yet apart from them saying the LED started kit would arrive on the 14th, it was out of stock when I ordered it.

Going by the posts above, mine will be delayed too :(

Mince was shipped yesterday evening after contacting them - Due to be delivered tomorrow, but I don't think that'll happen!!

Ordered the Philips Hue Personal Lighting Wireless Dimming Kit from Amazon.co.uk on the 25th Nov for £22 and still waiting, just got onto support and they said they won't have them in stock until the end of the year (when ordered estimated delivery was the 6th December)

(unts! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

davo2001 wrote: »
    Ordered the Philips Hue Personal Lighting Wireless Dimming Kit from Amazon.co.uk on the 25th Nov for £22 and still waiting, just got onto support and they said they won't have them in stock until the end of the year (when ordered estimated delivery was the 6th December)

(unts! :mad:

I was just trying to track down where my order was. Ill just cancel in that case.

Edit: logged onto my account to cancel and i had already been issued a refund for the following reasons;
    "Your parcel is being returned to Amazon for one of the following reasons: Damaged in-transit, carrier couldn't locate your address, or refused by the recipient."

I was just trying to track down where my order was. Ill just cancel in that case.

Edit: logged onto my account to cancel and i had already been issued a refund for the following reasons;
    "Your parcel is being returned to Amazon for one of the following reasons: Damaged in-transit, carrier couldn't locate your address, or refused by the recipient."

I don't really mind playing the long game with them, every week I don't have it delivered and the delivery date gets pushed out I get onto their support, tell them how sad and inconsolable (:rolleyes:) I am without them and they issue me a £5 credit on my Amazon account, have gotten £15 so far so technically the bulb and dimmer switch have only cost me £7.

I don't mind waiting till the new year to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

davo2001 wrote: »

I'm still waiting for some GU10 bulbs to come into stock on amazon.fr - bought on the 30th. Fully expect nothing until January.

alastair wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for some GU10 bulbs to come into stock on amazon.fr - bought on the 30th. Fully expect nothing until January.

I'm still waiting for my 4 GU10 white ambiances I ordered on October 14th!!
    They've been dispatched and I'm told will be here by Monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Cona wrote: »
    Guys, one question...

The white gu10's are the standard size, the colour gu10 is a much bigger bulb. In terms of lighting they are much warmer than my default spots I got with the house

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The white gu10's are the standard size, the colour gu10 is a much bigger bulb. In terms of lighting they are much warmer than my default spots I got with the house

remember though the white Hue GU10's are White ambiance, so they'll do warm white & cold white and everything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I've got a Hue Go and a motion sensor on the way at the moment from Amazon.

My existing setup has 1 Go already, a first gen gu10 colour, 3 first gen whites, 3 of the newer colour bulbs, 3 1st gen led strips and 5 iris lamps.

I'm a big fan of the lamps and led strips but don't really do too much with the bulbs.
    Indeed they are usually just switched on and off at the switch for convenience.
    Motion sensor could change that.

Most of the setup was got via various specials on amazon, the led strips in particular were something like 65% off during a Christmas deal of the day two years ago.
    I almost didn't get them as for some reason my package was returned and refunded, however Amazon agreed to let me purchase them again for the deal price.

Most of my iris lamps are the living colours versions, cheaper than the so called friends of hue version, still actually works with hue and comes with a zigbee remote.
    It's handy to have a remote on the bedside table to be able to turn off or on all the hue lights in the house with one button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

remember though the white Hue GU10's are White ambiance, so they'll do warm white & cold white and everything in between.

Have them in my living room now, very happy so far, obviously the warm white is the best. I need to do the rest of downstairs as the lights I got with the house are not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

BuzzFish wrote: »
    For motion sensing I'm now using these.
    They are a great little device (I have a SmartThings hub too which you'd need).
    They sense motion, LUX and temperature, so essentially they control my lighting, my nest (for upstairs) and they are used by SmartThings security to alert me if movement in my house when our phones are not at home.

Smartthings is a fantastic system when coupled with HUE.
    Amazon Echo could be next to add voice to my set up.

This game gets expensive, fast!

Oh, and if you want to keep your light switches but get some Philips HUE Dimmers, I'd sugest 3d printing the attached files. I've not printed them yet as can't find anywhere "reasonable" enough. Not my design btw, see the readme files for the creator.

Sorry to resurrect an old piece, did you find anywhere to do the printing for you at a reasonable price?

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Have them in my living room now, very happy so far, obviously the warm white is the best. I need to do the rest of downstairs as the lights I got with the house are not as good.

I have most of my lights set to first come on on an energise recipe in the afternoon as daylight fades (which almost mimics natural daylight), before fading into a more warmer 'relax' recipe in the early evening.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Just received my lightstrip, from Amazon.es, I also ordered an official 1.6m Philips extension but the box states white only 😭

I have just converted the Amazon text on their webpage which has a headline of "Philips lightstrip curve color" which was the basis of my order, however a sneaky bit of Spanish text does indeed indicate white color so lesson learned to be more careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm currently bulb rich & bridge poor (as Amazon oos), so if anyone has a spare, fire me off a pm.

Finally!!!!!

Only ordered them on October 14th!!

Now I just have to figure out where to put the 6m of lightstrip I've had lying around for the last 2 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Received my two white ambiance bulbs from Amazon.fr today and just set them up and also installed a motion sensor with them.

Really extremely simple the whole thing and delighted with it. Been going in and out of the hallway just to trigger them. :o

Just waiting on another sensor to arrive before installing it along with a plain white Hue bulb(which I've had spare and unused for months)in the landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

tigger1962 wrote: »
    I run my own domoticz system on a Pi 3. I have a hue system on it too with a combination of Ozram,Philips and Innr bulbs... All work off the Hue Hub but I also have a zigbee adapter as a backup. I have started buying more of the Innr bulbs as I feel they are brighter and can be equally switched on and off from the light switch. the ozram/phillips bulbs i have have a "remembered" state so I do not currently like them as they cannot be controlled from the switches. I had issues with lightwaverf devices when used with sensors so i stopped using the bulbs/switches. Now i can use a combination of x10/lightwave sensors to switch on the bulbs as someone enters/leaves certain rooms. The Innr bulbs I got from amazon but they have their own site too (based in Netherlands) their GU10 are €19 but they are not as bright as philips ones.

Just bimpinge this as some may not know that other bulbs can piggy back on the Hue hub.

http://www.innrlighting.com/en/service

http://www.wareable.com/smart-home/philips-third-party-smart-bulbs-hue-bridge-2062

https://developers.meethue.com/content/do-3rd-party-bulbs-work-newest-hue-hubs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Though it should be noted that in the past Philips disabled support for third party bulbs. After complaints they reversed that, but they said there is no guarantee they wouldn't disabled them again in future (due to security issues, etc.).

Fine for one or two lights, that are just there to add effect, but not your main lights. But I wouldn't fill my home with hundreds of euros worth of bulbs that might stop working at any time, nor would I use them for the main light in each room.

Also, if you keep an eye for the amazon sales, the Hue bulbs end up being reduced to about the same as these third party bulbs. I think that is a better approach.

BTW this is aimed at people in general reading this thread, rather then Mr.Crinklewood, who obviously knows the trade off's of doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I have most of my lights set to first come on on an energise recipe in the afternoon as daylight fades (which almost mimics natural daylight), before fading into a more warmer 'relax' recipe in the early evening.

how ?

Advertisement