Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks if anyone is looking for a bridge feel free to PM me.

It came with a second starter kit I picked up recently. You will need a travel adapter as I got it from Amazon France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They can come down from £30+, then?

That price is from a 3rd party seller, not Amazon, when Amazon have them in stock they will be £19.99

BobbyT28 wrote: »

The hue white ambiance GU10's are £44.99 for a double pack, so for the extra few quid you'd have Hue, with warm/cold whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The hue white ambiance GU10's are £44.99 for a double pack, so for the extra few quid you'd have Hue, with warm/cold whites.

And haven't Philips pulled and replaced support for third party already , it's a risk imo

I've knocked Philips enough here but in fairness they are expert lamps makers I never heard of iris, I see Amazon keep recommending them to me everytime I price check hue fittings though.

• Advertisement

I've my six colour bulbs now and any more that I buy in the coming months will be the white ambience.

Also want to get a Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

It came with a second starter kit I picked up recently.

Have it up on adverts but usual boardsie discount applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Still thinking about a dimmer or two.

They can come down from £30+, then?

Are you talking about the dimmer kit as opposed to just the switch itself?

As Andy says, the dimmer switch has been £19.99 for some weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

laugh wrote: »

Ah right, 3rd party marketplace price.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »

It came with a second starter kit I picked up recently.

Have it up on adverts but usual boardsie discount applies.

Did you steal the other users description or did he steal yours on your Advert add :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did you steal the other users description or did he steal yours on your Advert add :D

Haha he stole mine. The other One is my adverts account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sounds like too much hassle when there are already timer/routine capabilities in the hue app

IFTTT is not hard tbh. Yes there are routines in the app but you can link settings to weather/sunset/etc in IFTTT. As I said I've my hall and landing lights set to come on at sunset by linking using Weather Underground in IFTTT. Can't do that in the official Hue app. It would be nice if you could have two conditions to trigger an action - as in sunset on an clear evening - but I just have plain white lights in the "stairs" room so on/off is good enough for me. Plenty of ready made ones to choose from too.

I've my six colour bulbs now and any more that I buy in the coming months will be the white ambience.

Also want to get a Go.

I have a Go as my bedside lamp - worth every penny but then again I did get it on Cyber Monday for £40. I love the wakeup routine on it - I set it for 5 minutes before my alarm and it actually does wake me up every morning noiselessly.

Wait till Amazon UK get them back in stock and their about £19.99 (~€24) getv2 of them to get the free shipping.

Any ideas when that will be? They're very short stocked at the moment.

Won't be buying from Currys anyway - fcuking rip off merchants. I could buy online and collect from Sprucefield or use Parcel Motel but after this and other bull responses I refuse too.

405366.PNG

Orion wrote: »
    I have a Go as my bedside lamp - worth every penny but then again I did get it on Cyber Monday for £40. I love the wakeup routine on it - I set it for 5 minutes before my alarm and it actually does wake me up every morning noiselessly.

I think it's been £40 a few times on Amazon. I didn't buy the last time because I bought a second starter kit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Orion wrote: »

Also want to get a Go.

Would be interested in this as have the Echo Dot to wake me up. Was looking at the set up and alarm is set for 6.30am so how does the Fade in on the Hue app work so I know how many minutes to set.

Also Echo dot cannot wake me up to a Radio station so was messing around with phone and Alarm is set to my voice with  to wake me up with ‘Echo play CDNX on Tune in’ not working at moment but still trying

Was looking at the set up and alarm is set for 6.30am so how does the Fade in on the Hue app work so I know how many minutes to set.

If you use the 'wake up' routine the fade begins before the time you set to wake up at, i.e. Wake up set for 8am with a 30 minute fade, means the light will come on at 7:30am.

If you use a standard (non wake up) routine, the light will come on at the time you set, and fade for as long as you have it set to fade for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

laugh wrote: »

Can this kit be got with a bayonet cap bulb?

Can this kit be got with a bayonet cap bulb?

I've only ever seen it with the E27 bulb

(Woodies have them but their €42)

• Advertisement

I've a light unit in the kitchen that takes 5 GU10 bulbs.

Two of the bulbs blew in the last two days so now I'm thinking is the time to replace them all with the Hue bulbs :pac:

Anyone know the cheapest place to just pick up the white ambience?

I've a light unit in the kitchen that takes 5 GU10 bulbs.

Two of the bulbs blew in the last two days so now I'm thinking is the time to replace them all with the Hue bulbs :pac:

Anyone know the cheapest place to just pick up the white ambience?

Amazon if their in stock, they have a double pack for £44.99

I got 4 of them a few weeks ago

Amazon if their in stock, they have a double pack for £44.99

I got 4 of them a few weeks ago

Cheers for that. I'll have a look into those.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

For anyone that has the motion sensor can you use the daylight sensor as part of the logic to turn lights on/off? For example can I set it up so that the motion sensor won't trigger the lights to turn off if it detects light? I want the motion sensor to only turn on the light when it detects motion and its dark and to never turn it off, is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

For anyone that has the motion sensor can you use the daylight sensor as part of the logic to turn lights on/off? For example can I set it up so that the motion sensor won't trigger the lights to turn off if it detects light? I want the motion sensor to only turn on the light when it detects motion and its dark and to never turn it off, is that possible?

I don't have one, but there is an IFTTT applet to link a Google dusk to dawn condition if that fails. I use it on another system

Yes, it's easily done from within the Hue app,

when you set up a motion sensor, you set the level of light that it needs to turn lights on.

they can be set to turn lights off after detecting no motion after a set amount of time, but crucially for what you want, they can be set to do nothing when no motion is detected, meaning it won't turn your lights off if it doesn't have sufficient light (which is determined by the user)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Just got my motion sensor in the post. Liking it so far.

Have it setup on the upstairs landing.

Question, I have lights to dim at 19:30 when the little one goes to bed. But I have the motion detector to dim also at 19:30 and only come on dimmed if motion detected between 19:30 - 08:00. Turn off if no motion is detected after 1min. Will the motion detector turn off the dimmed lights if I was to go up at 21:00 and nothing detected after 1min or will my routine over ride this

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Just got my motion sensor in the post. Liking it so far.

Have it setup on the upstairs landing.

Question, I have lights to dim at 19:30 when the little one goes to bed. But I have the motion detector to dim also at 19:30 and only come on dimmed if motion detected between 19:30 - 08:00. Turn off if no motion is detected after 1min. Will the motion detector turn off the dimmed lights if I was to go up at 21:00 and nothing detected after 1min or will my routine over ride this

The motion sensor will override any routine that is set, so if your routine is on until 10pm, and you walk past the sensor at 8pm, at 8:01pm the lights will go off.

its the only bad aspect of the motion sensor, and something I've raised with them on their Facebook page, which initially they said they'd be working on a solution, but just the other day they said that it just was the way it was, so I'm not sure if a fix is on the way!!

I want the routine to always override the sensor. I've a sensor in my kitchen and in my office, the office one is grand, but in the kitchen, we'd be sitting down for dinner at 6-7pm, and as there was very little movement while at the table, the lights would go off 5 minutes after sitting down, despite a routine running that should keep the lights running til 8:30pm. I changed the setting to turn off after 30 minutes, but I'd still prefer a 1/5 minute for during the night if I go down for a drink..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

Very interested in the sensors myself, I have 1 in the kitchen and plan to get at least 3 more! I think it adds the real wow factor to the Hue system.

If you have a sensor, is there a need for the routine at all? If there is no motion, that means no one is in the room so no need for lights to be on from a routine right?

Or is it that the sensor only points at say the entry door, and if you're away at the kitchen sink the lights keep going off?

From the picture on the booklet that comes with the sensor, it looks like it can cover a whole room if put at the opposite end?

I have my sensor right by the door but I'm going to move it to the back of the room and see if that works. I'll let you know how it goes.

Al.

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    If you have a sensor, is there a need for the routine at all? If there is no motion, that means no one is in the room so no need for lights to be on from a routine right?

I like my house to be lit up at night so its not in darkness, I like our bedroom lights to be on until about 10ish, as well as the landing and babies room to be on low early evening.

I have hue lights in my hallway which I want on from early evening to a set time in the evening, whether I'm there or not.

For me, routines are the best part of hue.

In my office I have a morning & evening routine, until about 6pm, but my own personal iMac is in there at my desk as well as my work computer so I'll randomly go in and out of the office throughout the evening some days, so there a sensor is brilliant to have, in a room that isn't routine heavy at certain times but you might still use the odd time.

The other main rooms, kitchen, living room, porch, hallway, landing, babies room, master bedroom, I want on and off as per the routines I've set, regardless if the rooms are being used or not. But that's just me, the bulbs use feck all power, so why live in a dark house?

Advertisement