Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Anyone got a hub for sale... Saw a few posts early last week. If it's still available I'm interested in a cash deal ASAP. Dublin based. Pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone (Andy - I'm looking in your direction) know of a routine or IFTTT to enable bulbs to graduate in with natural fades e.g. sunrise or sunset ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone (Andy - I'm looking in your direction) know of a routine or IFTTT to enable bulbs to graduate in with natural fades e.g. sunrise or sunset ?

I don't use IFTTT, tried it once and wants into it,

Best plan would be to just set a 1 hour fade at a set time, as every day is different, I've often found myself in almost darkness due to it being a cloudy/overcast day, yet my routine is still an hour away from starting!! So in that situation I might just activate a scene manually!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Anyone having issues with location aware on the hue app for android, always untickes itself when you exit the app.

Works fine on iOS, seems to be a known issue for the last number of months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Anyone have a spare hub they'd be willing to sell me? Had one lined up but it's fallen through and I've got 4 GU10's on the way from Amazon that I'm dying to play with! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Anyone use this app on Android? Hue Pro

Looking for something with decent widgets, the ones on the official Hue app are pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Anyone use this app on Android? Hue Pro

Looking for something with decent widgets, the ones on the official Hue app are pants

Haven't used it, but you can trial it & if it's underwhelming you can cancel within 48hrs of purchase by going into Account / Purchase History on the Play app.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone know if the Philips Ecomoods range are Hue compatiable? Namely this Philips Ecomoods Ceiling Light Aluminium (Includes 1 x 40 Watts 2GX13 Bulb, Two Colour Filters) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00164C1HE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YkbDybV24ZSS2

There is a newer led version with the remote but don't need them if this will work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Anyone know if the Philips Ecomoods range are Hue compatiable? Namely this Philips Ecomoods Ceiling Light Aluminium (Includes 1 x 40 Watts 2GX13 Bulb, Two Colour Filters) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00164C1HE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YkbDybV24ZSS2

There is a newer led version with the remote but don't need them if this will work.

No, I don't think this one supports Hue.

They have, another more expensive version of this light that does support Hue:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Connect-Aluminium-Wireless/dp/B01L99H7YC/ref=sr_1_34?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1484010138&sr=1-34&keywords=hue+light

Note it is out of stock at the moment, they normally cost about £120 from Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

bk wrote: »
    No, I don't think this one supports Hue.

They have, another more expensive version of this light that does support Hue:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Connect-Aluminium-Wireless/dp/B01L99H7YC/ref=sr_1_34?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1484010138&sr=1-34&keywords=hue+light

Note it is out of stock at the moment, they normally cost about £120 from Amazon.

Been looking to pick up a couple of these but they haven't been in stock in months. Have one on pre-order from some crowd in the Netherlands. €138 plus €27 or so shipping. Expensive but it's going to be there years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Roen wrote: »
    Been looking to pick up a couple of these but they haven't been in stock in months. Have one on pre-order from some crowd in the Netherlands. €138 plus €27 or so shipping. Expensive but it's going to be there years.

Yeah, I had one on pre-order, from Amazon, but cancelled the order. I don't think they ever shipped anyway!

Thinking of going a different way now, a new light fixture in the kitchen that can take a standard Hue bulb instead. Would have the advantage of doing colour as well as white ambiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

just thought i'd drop this in here. A guy over on the SmartThings forum is working on a 3d printed wall plate that will fit Irish/UK light switches and hold the remote.
    might be of interest to some here
    https://community.smartthings.com/t/philips-hue-dimmer-remote-uk-wall-light-fitting-replacement-back-plate/66047/16

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

beanian wrote: »
    just thought i'd drop this in here. A guy over on the SmartThings forum is working on a 3d printed wall plate that will fit Irish/UK light switches and hold the remote.
    might be of interest to some here
    https://community.smartthings.com/t/philips-hue-dimmer-remote-uk-wall-light-fitting-replacement-back-plate/66047/16

Fingal Co Co Donabate/Portrane library just announced they've a 3D printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

beanian wrote:
    just thought i'd drop this in here. A guy over on the SmartThings forum is working on a 3d printed wall plate that will fit Irish/UK light switches and hold the remote. might be of interest to some here

Kind of sideways from this but anyone know where one might buy covers for light switches to prevent them being used? Have two rooms set up with Hue lights but my OH keeps accidentally turning them off.

Ionised wrote: »
    Kind of sideways from this but anyone know where one might buy covers for light switches to prevent them being used? Have two rooms set up with Hue lights but my OH keeps accidentally turning them off.

Some options listed in the first post of the Philips Hue FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

or cover your switches with these
    re-educators

donegal. wrote:
    or cover your switches with these

Excellent idea! Practical and entertaining

bk wrote:
    Some options listed in the first post of the Philips Hue FAQ.

I did look at that post but both options linked there appear to be to socket covers rather than light switches.
    Haven't had a chance to have a good look at Amazon or Ebay today so just asked here in case anyone had a handy link. I do read the Faqs honest!

Ionised wrote: »
    I did look at that post but both options linked there appear to be to socket covers rather than light switches.
    Haven't had a chance to have a good look at Amazon or Ebay today so just asked here in case anyone had a handy link. I do read the Faqs honest!

Then I'm afraid you didn't look very closely!

This is a cover, which can cover either a socket or a regular single gang light switch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabySecurity-Single-Electric-Socket-Cover/dp/B000X1DNIM/

I've it easily covering a single gang, double dimmer switch.

And this one can easily cover a standard light switch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchSafe-socket-protector-prevent-accidental/dp/B01634O2MS/ref=pd_sim_60_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VMS1BH456Z1G9YN2XCRS

I've it covering two light switches in my home.

I'm guessing you got tunnel vision from the pictures on amazon showing them covering sockets, but in the majority of homes, light switches are the same as sockets (as in the same size, single gang and use the same buttons). So they are interchangeable.

Good info. Cheers for that. You are right that I saw the socket covers and made assumptions. It's been a long day in work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone got a spare 1m extentonnlead they want to swap for a 1m Hue extension (new in box).

I'm putting them under the units and have to make a jump over the job so my option is to bury one in the wall. But that seems wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Just connected my bridge to a sky on demand wifi box I had in a drawer.

For anybody that doesn't know it's the little black box they gave you to make your sky box have wifi.

It works, so now have the bridge hidden in a cupboard connected to the sky connector, which is wirelessly connected to my modem.
    So pretty much a free way to have a wireless hue bridge, for anybody that has one of those lying around.

Sounds like a great hack for anyone that needs their hub away from their router.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hue go on sale today 46.77 on Amazon

Stoner wrote: »

I don't need one, but the b**tar*s keep putting them on sale!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Stoner wrote: »

Which amazon and any link. What do you get for that 46.77, not finding anything reasonable and have been periodically checking for sales in Hue to get started.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Its the Hue Go, its been on sale at that price over a week, i bought two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Its the Hue Go, its been on sale at that price over a week, i bought two of them.

I think it's a good price for a standalone lamp with battery backup and a hardwired switch.

I've one on the corner unit above the entertainment cabinet.
    It's by far my most used hue item.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I just opened up my first Go and set it up, wow, its a lot better than the blooms anyways. i dont have an Iris but the light off these is a million times better than the bloom. i can see myself getting a few of these ones!

Advertisement