Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

paulbok wrote: »
    Does anyone find the white light out of the colour gu10's not that great?

Have 3 in my kitchen on a central ceiling lamp and even though they are positioned to point at the counters, I find the light poor enough and am relying on the kitchen counter lightstrip when doing anything of note at night time.
    Possibly need an additional bulb but would have expected 3 to be enough as it is not a big kitchen (3.2 x 3.7M & low ceiling))

I have 10 of them in my kitchen and they are brilliant, in all manners of white.

I can mimic the 10 halogens they replaced, as well as make it a much brighter 'daytime' white when I want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I have 10 of them in my kitchen and they are brilliant, in all manners of white.

I can mimic the 10 halogens they replaced, as well as make it a much brighter 'daytime' white when I want

10? Jaysus it must be some size of kitchen you have.:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've four GU10's in the living room and they are more then bright enough IMO. We rarely run them at 100%, we find them too bright. They are certainly brighter then the MR16's they replaced.

Perhaps it is the positioning of them, cabinets casting shadows, etc. or enclosure or perhaps the colour temperature you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Does anyone find the white light out of the colour gu10's not that great?

Have 3 in my kitchen on a central ceiling lamp and even though they are positioned to point at the counters, I find the light poor enough and am relying on the kitchen counter lightstrip when doing anything of note at night time.
    Possibly need an additional bulb but would have expected 3 to be enough as it is not a big kitchen (3.2 x 3.7M & low ceiling))

Do you have the brightness turned up to 100%? Some of modes are not at 100% by default

My kitchen has 14 halogens currently :eek:

• Advertisement

well, kitchen & dining room combined

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

well, kitchen & dining room combined

Mine has 16 gu10s - kitchen/dining room and 3 Edisons in light above the table.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

After it was £40 something, the Go went back up to 69. Now it's 67.09...maybe it'll keep dropping.

ETA - back up to 69.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    I've four GU10's in the living room and they are more then bright enough IMO. We rarely run them at 100%, we find them too bright. They are certainly brighter then the MR16's they replaced.

With a risk of opening up some old led arguments.
    When comparing lamps , it's never a great idea to compare the new ones with the old ones.

LED lamps can drop off considerably after a couple of months , then after this initial burn off they have slower degradation often dropping off to by a further 20 to 50 percent .

If someone was to compare lamps you need to compare new with new and then end of life with end of life

For example a good quality 50watt halogen can produce 900 lumens ,. However that's ten times more juice, so watts per lumen is a great way to look at comparasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jones wrote:
    My kitchen has 14 halogens currently
    Wow anyway good quality Philips LEDs are available for five euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Bought two Philips LivingColors Iris on Amazon for 30GBP each. OOS now, but my first foray into Philips bulbs

70999/30/PU

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Bought two Philips LivingColors Iris on Amazon for 30GBP each. OOS now, but my first foray into Philips bulbs

70999/30/PU

I have ones of the iris' as well its brilliant - i use it as a wall light behind my tv. Real mood setter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

70999/30/PU

Link?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    LED lamps can drop off considerably after a couple of months , then after this initial burn off they have slower degradation often dropping off to by a further 20 to 50 percent .

I've had them almost a year now, still looking great, no human noticeable degradation.
    Stoner wrote: »
    If someone was to compare lamps you need to compare new with new and then end of life with end of life

For example a good quality 50watt halogen can produce 900 lumens ,. However that's ten times more juice, so watts per lumen is a great way to look at comparasons.

True, though in my case the MR16 Halogens they replaced were actually pretty new, given that the Halogens were lasting only about 6 months at most!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Link?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008B4DCB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are Out of stock from Amazon.

Just got a notification yesterday from HUKD. The deal lasted about 15 minutes and was over before i could post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

So I live in a 2 bed apartment, with bathroom, kitchen/living room and hallway.
    I've been tempted to buy the colour starter kit, but I just can't come up with ways it would work for me :( . Somebody convince me how it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So I live in a 2 bed apartment, with bathroom, kitchen/living room and hallway.
    I've been tempted to buy the colour starter kit, but I just can't come up with ways it would work for me :( . Somebody convince me how it will

You could leave your normal ceiling lighting as is and use the Hue lighting in lamps. Very little work but still the same great effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Jayop wrote: »
    You could leave your normal ceiling lighting as is and use the Hue lighting in lamps. Very little work but still the same great effect.

Is there a lamp kit that includes the bridge, etc?

You buy bulbs and put them anywhere you'd put a regular light bulb, so a ceiling light, a bedside lamp, anywhere!!

Like the 2 examples shown, they are both hue bulbs. I've 1 in the centre light, and 2 in bedside lamps.

The bridge should come with the starter kit. Just use normal lamps then or a normal ceiling light fitting providing the fixture is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

70999/30/PU

I have two of these in the living room, they were my first Hue purchases, and I love them.

Have one either side of the fire place splashing light onto the walls. One is behind the TV and the other behind my Mac/computer desk.

I had one on its own first without a bridge and just used the remote to control it. Now they are connected to the bridge and I have timers set for them and different routines for morning/evening/watching films.

They are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

29c1db26d26c32d3948e00b82bbddea5.jpg

i still havn't got around to installing my light strips . I was going to put something like the pic across my ceiling.

most of the led profiles i can find are only 9mm deep. If i use these will i just be looking at a row of coloured dots? How deep would it need to be not to see dots?

And i'd prefer them to be much wider, maybe 40mm. Does anyone know where i can get some ?
    or any profiles with spring clips to hold in place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hi,

Just got my first two hue bulbs, and a question about manual control (via normal 220v switch). I was under the impression, that a quick cycle of the switch would allow you manually control the bulbs, but it seems to be, that this is only able to turn them on, you cannot turn them off again this way ?

Hi,

Just got my first two hue bulbs, and a question about manual control (via normal 220v switch). I was under the impression, that a quick cycle of the switch would allow you manually control the bulbs, but it seems to be, that this is only able to turn them on, you cannot turn them off again this way ?

if you turn the switch off the bulbs will have to go off! you've cut all & any power to it.

you can turn hue lights on and off from the regular light switch on your wall, though doing this will mean they will always come on to a standard white (you'll need the app functionality to alter their colours/brightness)

They are like this so the bulbs will still function as regular bulbs in the event app control is not available, of your Bridge stops working.

if you turn the switch off the bulbs will have to go off! you've cut all & any power to it.

you can turn hue lights on and off from the regular light switch on your wall, though doing this will mean they will always come on to a standard white (you'll need the app functionality to alter their colours/brightness)

They are like this so the bulbs will still function as regular bulbs in the event app control is not available, of your Bridge stops working.

Thanks. Ideas under the impression that a pulse would toggle the state of the lamp, whereas it only does that for turning it on, it won't do it to turn it off again.

Which is unfortunate as if they had just implemented the toggle bit, then the bulbs are 100% direct replacement for normal bulbs and you can use the existing switches to manually control them.

It's a shame it only works in One Direction, and they didn't simply let the bulb toggle it's state when you cycle the wall switch. Then we would have a 100% like for like replacement option.

It's a shame it only works in One Direction, and they didn't simply let the bulb toggle it's state when you cycle the wall switch. Then we would have a 100% like for like replacement option.

But it does work like that, they can be a like for like replacement of a normal bulb.

But it does work like that, they can be a like for like replacement of a normal bulb.

Not that I can see. For exsmole

If the light is off, you quickly turn the light switch off and back on again, and the hue light goes on.

If the light is on, if you quickly turn the switch off and back on again, the light remains on, it does not turn it off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So bought the standard white-light starter kit there with the screw bulb. They're going in as the main lights in our living room.

What I had assumed though was that I could easily replace the existing bayonet fitting with a screw fitting - nope. My dad checked in a wholesalers and he said that you just can't get a base screw-light fitting in Dublin despite the fact there's so many screw bulbs (mostly used in lamps I believe). So we have to get an adapter which will of course drop the bulb down a couple of inches, which is noticeable enough with a lampshade and 8' ceilings. Anyone else frustrated by the lack of durect screw-light fittings here? Seems to be an issue in the UK too judging by Amazon.co.uk reviews.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    So bought the standard white-light starter kit there with the screw bulb. They're going in as the main lights in our living room.

What I had assumed though was that I could easily replace the existing bayonet fitting with a screw fitting - nope. My dad checked in a wholesalers and he said that you just can't get a base screw-light fitting in Dublin despite the fact there's so many screw bulbs (mostly used in lamps I believe). So we have to get an adapter which will of course drop the bulb down a couple of inches, which is noticeable enough with a lampshade and 8' ceilings. Anyone else frustrated by the lack of durect screw-light fittings here? Seems to be an issue in the UK too judging by Amazon.co.uk reviews.

You could use those bulbs elsewhere and buy another brand of bulb with bayonet that'd be compatible with the hue hub. Someone was posting about Chinese brand ones here a few days ago. Pretty cheap they were too but dunno about the quality.

Advertisement