Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If the light is on, if you quickly turn the switch off and back on again, the light remains on, it does not turn it off.

And that is also what happens with a regular light bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ixoy wrote: »
    So bought the standard white-light starter kit there with the screw bulb. They're going in as the main lights in our living room.

What I had assumed though was that I could easily replace the existing bayonet fitting with a screw fitting - nope. My dad checked in a wholesalers and he said that you just can't get a base screw-light fitting in Dublin despite the fact there's so many screw bulbs (mostly used in lamps I believe). So we have to get an adapter which will of course drop the bulb down a couple of inches, which is noticeable enough with a lampshade and 8' ceilings. Anyone else frustrated by the lack of durect screw-light fittings here? Seems to be an issue in the UK too judging by Amazon.co.uk reviews.

Are you talking abould the pendant type fitting example centre ceiling if so yes you can get them.

So bought the standard white-light starter kit there with the screw bulb. They're going in as the main lights in our living room.

What I had assumed though was that I could easily replace the existing bayonet fitting with a screw fitting - nope. My dad checked in a wholesalers and he said that you just can't get a base screw-light fitting in Dublin despite the fact there's so many screw bulbs (mostly used in lamps I believe). So we have to get an adapter which will of course drop the bulb down a couple of inches, which is noticeable enough with a lampshade and 8' ceilings. Anyone else frustrated by the lack of durect screw-light fittings here? Seems to be an issue in the UK too judging by Amazon.co.uk reviews.

Hue bulbs come in both B22 & E27

Add some new bulbs to your system (B22), and put the E27 bulbs in lamps with E27 fittings, or else use the adapters where that extra inch might not be as noticeable.

Woodies have the B22 whites though they are cheaper on Amazon.

Jayop wrote: »
    You could use those bulbs elsewhere and buy another brand of bulb with bayonet that'd be compatible with the hue hub. Someone was posting about Chinese brand ones here a few days ago. Pretty cheap they were too but dunno about the quality.

Hue bulbs come in bayonet (B22) as well as Edison Screw (E27)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

And that is also what happens with a regular light bulb.

No it's not.

Sorry I must be explaining this poorly.

The hue bulb needs power all the time I get that

If it is powered but in the off state, if you quickly toggle the light switch off and back on again, the bulb comes on. Which is perfect, as you can now manually turn the switch on.

However, the missing link is that it will not now manually turn off if you toggle the switch off and back on again, which I think it should.

Without being able to do that, the light cannot function as a normal light switch and a smart one at the same time.

What I am saying is that the action of quickly cycling the wall switch should toggle the status of the bulb from on to off etc. Then would have a perf3ct match of manual and smart control.

• Advertisement

However, the missing link is that it will not now manually turn off if you toggle the switch off and back on again, which I think it should.

Without being able to do that, the light cannot function as a normal light switch and a smart one at the same time.

Then the light would NEVER function as a regular light bulb (wall switch only)

What if you go into a room with the light powered on, but set off via the app, and you don't have your phone with you.

You need light so you toggle the switch, off, then on again and the light comes on. And you want it to go off again? Why? As then it's not functioning like a regular light bulb, and can only be controlled via the app or a dimmer

Then the light would NEVER function as a regular light bulb.

What if you go into a room with the light powered on, but set off via the app, and you don't have your phone with you.

You need light so you toggle the switch, off, then on again and the light comes on. And you want it to go off again? Why? As then it's not functioning like a regular light bulb, and can only be controlled via the app or a dimmer

OK, want I am trying to explain is that I simply want the switch to allow you to manually turn the light on and off without taking away smart control. That is the objective, and it is half way there, it is feasible.

Currently, the bulb reacts when it sees the power being removed and restored in quick succession.

It reacts by the lighting up, if it was previously off. If it was to react by Turing on if it's current state was off, and turning off if it's current state was on, then they provides full smart and manual functionity, which if you were to use a momentary switch, makes in almost undetectable to users that it is a smart light, they can turn it on and off and back on again from the wall. If they turn it off, it does not disable smart control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

jp0st.jpg

So you need a dimmer switch then.

It's the only way to power off a hue light on the fly without using the app and without isolating the power to the bulb (knocking the switch off).

The whole idea is if your hub is unavailable or loses contact with the bulbs, the bulbs will still function as regular on/off bulbs without any fancy features. And I'm just fine with it like this.

So you need a dimmer switch then.

It's the only way to power off a hue light on the fly without using the app and without isolating the power to the bulb (knocking the switch off).

Nope

Take a standard on\off switch.
    Replace it with a. Momentary make or break wall switch (a few euros in price and exact replica of traditional switches).

So, the power is permanently wired to the bulb as required. Pressing the momentary switch causes a cut and restore of power to the bulb so

A) at the moment, if the bulb was off or will turn it on. Subsequent pushes of the momentary switch will do nothing to change the state of the bulb.

B) I am suggesting that a firmware update could get the bulb to react differently, in that a temporary break in power hair causes the bulb to alternate from one state to the next.

With option b you have a full functional wall switch which functions like an everyday one, and, no one can accidently leave the power to the bulb disabling the bulbs smart features as it has no power.

• Advertisement

They designed the system to retrofit into standard set ups including standard on/off switchs, not always on switches, that a momentary push cuts the power for a second or so.

This is why they released the 'Tap' and then the 'Dimmer' , to do exactly this, all while maintaining a standard set up (regular on/off switches)

They designed the system to retrofit into standard set ups including standard on/off switchs, not always on switches, that a momentary push cuts the power for a second or so.

This is why they released the 'Tap' and then the 'Dimmer' , to do exactly this, all while maintaining a standard set up (regular on/off switches)

I am aware of that but the tap is a functionally poor, and rather expensive solution, and is a bit like sticky taping a broken cup together IMHO.

The hue hardware is capable of working with momentary switches which would be a direct, cheap and like for like replacement of a traditional wall switch. More practical and much cheaper. It's simply that they have not allowed it or though of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hue bulbs come in bayonet (B22) as well as Edison Screw (E27)

This is true, but I assumed they bought the color starter kit and if so the color b22 bulbs are 50 sterling while the color xaomi bulbs in b22 are 20 dollars. Now that's from gear best so God knows how long they'd take to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've seen E27 light fittings in Woodies, IKEA, and plenty of other places that sell light fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I have three E27 to Bayonet adapters here if you want 'em. Landed today from Amazon. Only cost me a fiver. PM me if you want em.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭OU812

Lads,

I think I'm taking this Hue addiction too far...

p5Vijdu.jpg

:)

Thank feck Hue don't do an ultraviolet lamp!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Got a strip + 6m of extensions. Living room behind the couch now has the strip from the dadorail to the ceiling - across the top of the wall and down again to the dado rail at the far corner. Was a bit of a gamble to see if I could get rid of the centre light for the room and I have to say I'm very impressed. Great light off it which will allow us to remove the centre light. Mrs. O is really impressed too which is a serious win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

OU812 wrote: »
    Lads,

p5Vijdu.jpg

It really is an addiction isnt it. I love tinkering with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Orion wrote: »
    Got a strip + 6m of extensions. Living room behind the couch now has the strip from the dadorail to the ceiling - across the top of the wall and down again to the dado rail at the far corner. Was a bit of a gamble to see if I could get rid of the centre light for the room and I have to say I'm very impressed. Great light off it which will allow us to remove the centre light. Mrs. O is really impressed too which is a serious win :)

Sounds unusual/interesting, kind of like the back wall is perimeter lit? Is there not wires and strip visible, any pictures for a better understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

OU812 wrote: »
    Lads,

p5Vijdu.jpg

When Hue gotta Go, ya gotta Go

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Received my dimming kit + 2 additional hue white lights yesterday. Have installed them over the kitchen table. OH is delighted becuase the light switch is in a really awkard spot so with the dimmer switch it can now be put beside the door.
    I haven't tried confusing her with the app or any of that yet :)

Just ordered 2 more bulbs + for the ceiling for the rest of the kitchen area + a dimmer switch to put at the other door. Will mean be able to use the dimmer switch now instead of 3 different light switches place at different places around the kitchen which were all very awkward!!!

I want to get more for the hall (another 6 or 8) + motion sensors but the lamp shades are really narrow and the hue bulbs won't fit into them. will have to get new lamp shades first :(
    So it will probably be light strips for over the kitchen presses next!! My poor credit card :(

Do you have a Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Do you have a Bridge?

Yea got a bridge too.
    Still trying to figure out the automatic on and all that. OH works irregular hours so in the house some days not other days, so can't just set them to come on or go off at certain times. She wouldn't know whats going on :D

Is it possible to set them up based on 2 devices? ie if both phones leave turn off lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is the location setting in the Hue app ever likely to work for android?

Just got two hue sensors there, work really well, now I'm tempted to fit out the whole place with them! Expensive habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

There was an update on the Hue app recently and in the notes it mentioned that they are looking into a solution for this. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Using the new app for a few weeks now and it's a big improvement on earlier versions, still needs some better usability for controlling individual lights in a scene/room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Need to get bulbs for my hall so don't need the colored ones just the adjustable white level ones. Is this bulb what I'm looking for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0152WXI0E/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1486903993&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=philips+hue

Or is it the more expensive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BPDXARK/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1486903993&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=philips+hue&dpPl=1&dpID=31CTcBOI-zL&ref=plSrch

Think it's the second ones I need unfortunately. Want to get the sensor too so the lights only come on when some comes into the hall.

The 1st bulb linked is white only, but still has fullnHue functionality, (they only do a warm white)

The 2nd bulb linked is white ambiance, so does warm to cold white, and all in between,

Do you want/need to have warm & cold whites? As is you just want wireless control via app/sensor the 1st bulb will work fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

The 1st bulb linked is white only, but still has fullnHue functionality, (they only do a warm white)

The 2nd bulb linked is white ambiance, so does warm to cold white, and all in between,

Do you want/need to have warm & cold whites? As is you just want wireless control via app/sensor the 1st bulb will work fine

No, want the different levels of white so it's the second one I need. Was just hoping for the best really as I need three of them. Thanks.

Advertisement